KSR Show Thread 2/6: Michael Drennen joins the show

Andrew Ivins | 247

Andrew Ivins | 247

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, new Kentucky Wildcat Michael Drennen will join the show at 10:30 a.m. to talk about his decision. The gang will also recap the news of the day, including Vandy’s shocking win over LSU and new hope for sports gambling in the Bluegrass.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

68 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/6: Michael Drennen joins the show

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Four ranked teams go down last night, including SEC No.1 LSU. Vandy gets their 1st conference win.

• ClutchCargo
      10:06 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

This is going to be one entertaining NCAA tournament. Somebody who knows absolutely nothing about basketball has a great shot at winning their office bracket pool.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:07 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if those fanbases have a Righteous1 or a mashburnfan….

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I know where they could get a couple.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I was hoping to let sleeping dogs lie. Thanks, man!

• Realme
      10:11 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

College basketball is so drunk this year.

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

But while we’re at it, those fan bases also need someone who has shaken the hand of their legendary coach from the past and is on a crusade to hold the current coach accountable for anything less than perfection.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

In regard to having a winning bracket, my wife now has a shot; she goes by team nicknames and uniforms, ha ha. Sorry, Oregon and Baylor, you won’t be advancing in her bracket.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:18 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Or a high school coach whose teams always over achieve because he picked is players and if he picked them they’re going to play dammit!

• Realme
      10:19 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

My husband always says if you don’t know (or care) about the teams, pick whichever mascot would win in a fight.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I guess that explains Wichita State’s inability to advance very far, even when they are really good. I mean, who is a bundle of dried up corn stalks going to beat up?

10:28 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Was hoping Auburn would go down this week too. That would have really helped us. Guess we’ll have to get the job done at Rupp.

10:31 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

rg, that’s basically the way I pick horses at the track. That and a catchy name. πŸ™‚ (And if it poops on the way to the gate, bet on it – lightens the load.)

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Hah, you don’t cash many tickets, do you?

2. secrick
    10:04 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Watched the Vandy game last night and was happy for them. Those players and fans where so excited , you would have thought they won the Sec Trnt.

10:28 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

They did! Basically. πŸ™‚

3. cats646
    10:17 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

If the big dawg ever wants to leave, I’ll give him half my yearly salary to keep him here!!!! Lol. Same with stoops!!

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

What if they both want to leave? You would work for free? That’s taking one for the BBN team right there! lol

• cats646
      10:39 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Lol. Tough choice Clutch!

4. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

So, did Drennen’s NLOI ever make it to UK? Maybe this has been addressed, but I’m not listening today.

5. Realme
    10:18 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Drennen has my favorite Twitter handle ever. @UhhMyNameDonut

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Twitter, somebody in a thread yesterday pointed out that he should make his “likes” private. So curiosity got the better of me and I took a peek. Don’t do that. Definitely NSFW.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I checked again to be sure and it’s gone now. So never mind.

• Realme
      10:24 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I have unfollowed many a football player for making gross things show up in my timeline.

10:32 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I think Homer Simpson would approve of that name.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Regarding the Rolling Stones – I think their best music was when they were an actual rock and roll band before they “went disco”. They had a few good songs after this, but IMO their best stuff was up to the release of “Some Girls”

Favorite Stones song? “Can’t You Hear Me Knockin'”

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Wild Horses, Honky Tonk Women, and…words of wisdom, You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:28 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

IMO Sticky Fingers was the last good album, they kinda lost me after that one. Great album.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:30 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Well when you’re sitting back in your rose pink Cadillac
      Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day….

10:35 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

All Great songs, but “Can’t You Hear Me Knockin” hardly gets any airplay, and it has an awesome jazz interlude. (Probably the reason it DOESN’T get airplay on most stations not called WFPK)

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Take me down, little Susie.

10:49 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Interesting fact about “CYHMK” – Keith Richards said they didn’t plan the long instrumental jam; they had simply kept playing without realizing the tape was still rolling. After hearing the playback, they realized they’d recorded the jam. A happy accident for rock β€˜n’ roll fans! (Wikipedia)

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:44 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

No love for “Brown Sugar”?

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Brown Sugar was a good song; but, considered controversial.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:37 pm February 6, 2020 Permalink

And it was way over played IMO.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:26 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Rolling Stones rock; I may have to go.

10:34 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully they still will – those dudes are in their mid-seventies now. Maybe Keith will be fresh off a fluid and filter change – blood transfusion and liver transplant. I hear he gets it done as yearly maintenance. πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Jagger and Richards are both 76.

8. J-Dub421
    10:31 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Okay, now I’m curious because I’m not on twitter. What kind of gross things were showing up on your timeline RM? (I don’t need specifics, just a genre.)

• Realme
      10:36 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Crude pictures and gifs of women from former players that aren’t on their best behavior anymore. Gorey photos of physical ailments that say “retweet or this will happen to you” from current players.

9. J-Dub421
    10:32 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Satisfaction and Sympathy for the Devil are probably my favorite Stones songs.

10:42 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

“Monkey Man” is another favorite.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

OK, I like this donut guy already! Very intelligent and well-spoken too. Home run get for the football team!

11. J-Dub421
    10:41 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

10:43 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

In my middle age, I am slowly morphing into Homer Simpson.

12. runningunnin.454
    10:56 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Check out the article on “UK Alum CNN Hero” if you haven’t seen it. Great story, don’t know how it became a political lightening rod, but uplifting story.

• Realme
      10:58 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Beautiful story. Comments not so much.

• Realme
      10:58 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I think it started because someone was triggered by the mention of CNN.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I was lost, and didn’t know what triggered it; but, looks like a lot of the comments were deleted.

11:12 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Great story, rg. And it sounds like a charity that is right up your alley. πŸ˜‰

• Realme
      11:13 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I could be wrong. It’s not easy to understand a dimwit.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Yep, RCF, “keep your hands up”. Only one boxer in history that didn’t have to do that, and his name was Ali.

13. J-Dub421
    11:20 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Just have all school kids wear uniforms like the Catholic schools do. Problem solved.

11:22 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

I went to Catholic schools and hated the uniforms, but as a parent, it sure would be easier. πŸ™‚

11:26 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of schools, younger daughter now has a boy who apparently has a crush on her. I am not sure if he has some kind of spectrum issue like Asbergers or something, apparently he is socially awkward or “weird”. I don’t think the kid is real popular. She is not interested in dating anyone, and she tries to be friendly to him and not mean or anything, but it has almost turned into a stalking situation. Kind of has me worried – might be time to call up a meeting with the teacher or the guidance counselor. Or daddy needs to get his BIG GUN out. πŸ˜‰ Seriously, I feel a little sorry for the kid, but at the same time, you read about stuff like that…

• Realme
      11:39 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully he’s harmless, but I hope she doesn’t feel like she has to be nice to a guy who acts like a creep. I don’t know if young women are still made to feel like having personal boundaries / being safe isn’t as important as being kind, hopefully not.

14. bcp426
    11:24 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Dress codes eliminate the issues of inappropriate clothing and kids flaunting deisgner clothes and/or wearing shabby clothes… helps to equalize socio-economic differences. Teasing and shaming are probably the worst in middle schools just because of the age group and maturity level. Generally it amounts to wearing khakis and a solid color polo shirt.

15. J-Dub421
    11:27 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Uniforms is schools are also more economical. You don’t have to buy your kids a whole new wardrobe for school every year, just a few uniform pants/shirts.

16. J-Dub421
    11:31 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

RCF, definitely talk to your daughter’s teacher/school counselor. Maybe see if they will have a conversation with the boy’s parents about appropriate boundaries (or allow you to do so). Tell your daughter to continue to be polite/nice, but also set firm boundaries and stick with them.

• Realme
      11:41 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

She doesn’t owe him nice or polite. If he isn’t harmless, he might see those things as encouragement.

11:51 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, he started with one of her friends, and when she finally told him she wasn’t interested, he started sending her stuff on SM calling her a whore and other bad stuff. So that in and of itself is alarming. Time for a sit-down with the school officials. That might make it worse for a while, but better safe than sorry. Hopefully this kid will have someone sit down with him and help him with his issues. High school can be the most miserable period of life for many people.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Yep, definitely time for intervention.

• Realme
      11:57 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Ah, he’s one of those “nice guys” you see all over the internet. Here’s some suggestions:
      “You are making me uncomfortable.” “Leave me alone.” “No.” “Nope.” “Bye now.”

17. J-Dub421
    11:53 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

True, RM. This is obviously contingent on safety.

18. J-Dub421
    11:56 am February 6, 2020 Permalink

Why do boys feel like they’re entitled to attention/time form girls? They’re not. Learn to accept rejection gracefully. That he did this previously with another girl and got nasty when she politely rejected him changes the dynamic entirely. Talk to his parents, or have the school do so. Junior needs a set-down.

12:00 pm February 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure, but I think he may have some kind of issue – emotional or otherwise. Does not excuse the behavior, but might partially explain it. She is going to start by bringing it to the attention of the teacher. They get assigned groups for this class and he was put in her group, which kind of started the whole thing. We always tell our kids to resist going with the flow when it comes to kids who are unpopular or excluded, but it sounds like this kid has some deeper issues than just being socially awkward or withdrawn.

• ClutchCargo
      1:09 pm February 6, 2020 Permalink

Good luck with that, RCF. And I mean that sincerely, as a girl dad myself. My daughter has maybe even less tolerance for BS than I do, so I have never had to deal with this type of situation. But I know it can happen regardless, so maybe we were just lucky.