KSR Show Thread 2/5: Recapping the win

Good morning, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s 80-72 win over Mississippi State, which included big performances from Nick Richards and EJ Montgomery. They’ll also give you the latest on Michael Drennen, who will announce his college decision this evening. Tune in or miss out!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

94 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/5: Recapping the win

1. StillBP
    10:05 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Happy to see EJ have a solid game. Not just because our team needed it, but also so people can’t disparage him much (I’m sure the Eeyores will find something bc they always do)

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Good effort from EJ; and, Nick was a madman the 2nd half. Still have to limit offensive rebounds.

10:13 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

There is nothing wrong with EJ that better conditioning wouldn’t fix, imho. He is still battling fatigue, and can frequently be seen grabbing his shorts during a dead ball. You never see that with Nick Richards anymore.

10:13 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

If we could get out bigs to keep playing like that…
      The Eeyores will say that he can’t be trusted to do that consistently, which I guess is fair so far. I am just happy to see him having fun.

10:18 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

We cringe at the way some of our fans act like spoiled toddlers, but the Rupp crowd is the classiest crowd in college sports. I like the way they cheered EJ for all those hustle plays he had last night.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

How about the and 1 where he switched hands in the air? That was beautiful. It wasn’t as athletic, but it reminded me of the famous Jordan play in the finals where he switched hands going in for a layup.

• StillBP
      11:00 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

he fought for rebounds too, took one right out of their hands

11:03 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I think him fighting like that is what made it possible for Nick to handle a physical team better than usual.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone hear Matt say yesterday, that the SEC admits they give UK the harder schedule every year? I never look at the other teams’ schedules that closely; but, I would think all teams should get a level playing field.

10:15 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

It’s like when a reporter says officials name Cal as a coach they don’t like, and instead of blaming the officials who could at least pretend to be neutral, they act like it’s a Cal problem. Of course we should play the hardest schedule since we win almost every year! /s

10:15 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I have to think it just works out that way. How can you mess with the conference schedule? And how can one of the best teams have the hardest schedule? Teams like Vandy would seem to have the hardest schedule of all.

10:17 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Most games are set, but it’s the choosing of which “extra” teams we play 2 times in a given year that Matt says they are intentionally picking the hardest competition for.

10:21 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

That could be, RM. But you never know for sure who is going to be as good as advertised. And getting those Must See TV matchups is to be expected when you’re UK, so I’m good with it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

And as Cal says, every road game is a (usually with free t-shirts) white out, black out, red out…

10:25 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Did you see where that Auburn player tried to act like they’re that team now? Please.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

And, don’t forget the free beer.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Unfortunately, Arkansas blew a 9 point lead down the stretch against Auburn. Of course, they didn’t have Isaiah Joe; he had knee surgery yesterday.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Yep, when Auburn comes to Rupp, if we get up on them we better keep our foot on the gas as Matt keeps saying about a 10-12 point lead (he’s quoting Mike Pratt). This is 2 of 3 games where they overcame big deficits to win.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

It’s a fact that we get up 10-12 points, and we relax and ease up on defense and rebounding. It seems we won’t get any 20 point wins.

10:24 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Pearl has a special talent for getting his guys to play hard and never stop competing. Any sign of taking your foot off the gas just encourages them.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Pearl also has a special talent for finding trouble at every stop he works at. I personally want to see the crap stick to him this time from the FBI investigation.

And I would just love to see us smash them when they come to Rupp, but that is probably asking too much. I do hope we have a loud, lively crowd for the event. Rupp seemed kind of dead last night, seeing it from TV. They got it going with a GBB chant at one time, but otherwise it seemed kind of tame.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:25 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I said it last night, but the officials even had a great game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I really think someone at the SEC addressed the UK vs Auburn FT discrepancy…you would hope so.

10:31 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

It was so nice to not get filled with rage during a game. I saw Sirmons and Shows were on deck and almost didn’t watch. I guess they were intentionally trying to make ref-kind look better after the last game.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

It was nice to see that for the most parts the ref’s let them play, at least for a while. Of course, things did get a little dicey towards the end. Auburn did have considerably more fouls called, although I think a lot of those were at the end where they were fouling on purpose.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I thought their coach was going to tell his team to foul til the final second; at least, Cal called that off against Auburn

6. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Sheesh, had another customer call and kept me on the phone for the first half hour of the show. Fill me in peeps – sounds like we were talking about the U-6 Dance Team coach again.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

He said he didn’t even know the UL baseball event was there.

10:37 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Matt is having this weird debate with Ryan and Shannon about why the former dance team coach was at the hotel and armed. He won’t say what he thinks the guy’s intentions were, but he keeps beating on Ryan and Shannon for thinking the guy’s story might be true.

10:43 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

The downtown Marriott is a huge hotel, and he apparently had just stepped out of an Uber and was reaching into his pocket. The guy is a proven scumbag, but it’s plausible that he either didn’t know the baseball event was happening there, or he was there for some other reason.

7. mm40
    10:37 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

If you want to watch Ashland all of their home games and their district (64th) and region (16th) tournament games are streamed live on Facebook on the MyTown TV page.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I am so glad that the game was on at the same time as the State of the Union circus. I am not saying that because it was Trump giving it – I am saying it because it is like watching paint dry.

10:39 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t watched a SOTU in my adult life, and I have missed nothing.

• StillBP
      10:58 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Oh I thought it was so interesting and entertaining. Bc of Trump and Pelosi. It was like watching Saturday Night Live when it was funny. I only watched it during half time of the game.

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

If we could lock Trump and Pelosi in a cage fight and sell it on PPV, I bet we could make a dent in that national debt. 😀

9. Realme
    10:39 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Sideline Reporter Marty is growing on me. Thought he was funny a couple times last night. And he didn’t over ham it up with the accent like the time he was interviewing Kirby and I wanted to strangle him.

10:47 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Ever since it dawned on me awhile back that he looks like a clownish version of Connor McGregor, he seems ok to me.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

LMAO, Clutch!

10. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

So this Saturday we get to play YET ANOTHER road game at UT in an extremely hostile environment? Geesh, when will we get a break?

11. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

So did anyone else hear that clearly audible F-bomb that Cal dropped in the second half? The arena had gone quiet, and all the sudden you hear Cal screaming “What the F— are you doing?” 🙂

10:45 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Yep, loud and clear.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I missed it; to whom was he yelling?

10:48 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

The full quote: “Nick!!! WTF are you doing?!” 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Nick was busy dropping 25 points in the 2nd half.

10:55 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

It was something specific that Nick was doing right at that moment, near the UK bench. I was too busy laughing at Cal, so I didn’t really notice what it was.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I got a sick feeling in my stomach when Nate went to the locker room holding his shoulder in obvious pain. Sure looked like it popped out. I was surprised (and relieved) to see him come back.

13. Realme
    10:44 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Seemed like Cal is trying to get Maxey more comfortable at point for when Ashton is out.

14. spincr4hire
    10:45 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Prob get crucified for this but I cringe when John Short calls in

10:49 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

JS calls are more for him than they are for us. He has a lot of struggles, and calling radio shows seems to make him happy.

• spincr4hire
      10:56 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Yes I know that.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

He can be hard to understand, but I now find him amusing. In fact, I have adopted “Big-un” as a nickname for my 70 lb Pointer mix.

15. J-Dub421
    10:47 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that’s part of that hard scheduling that we get from the SEC. Other SEC teams don’t have to play ALL of their road games on Saturdays.

16. runningunnin.454
    10:48 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Yes, I hope no one missed the big news about the Dodger-Red Sox trade last night. ESPN didn’t want you to miss it, so I hope you didn’t miss it. You didn’t miss it, did you?
    You really need to google it; because it would be tragic if you missed it.

10:50 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

You know what else? Duke UNC is gonna be SUCH am exciting game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Dook stunk the place up last night; but, Boston College choked.

17. J-Dub421
    10:52 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I was so happy to see EJ have a good game and get some love from the Rupp crowd. Hopefully it will boost his confidence going forward. Nick was a beast again and so fun to watch. IQ had a pretty good game, especially considering that MSU was obviously keying in on him. The officiating wasn’t completely atrocious, except the non-flagrant 1 call. Perry elbowed Nick in the face deliberately. How do they go to the monitors and still get it wrong?

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Yep, that was definitely a flagrant 1. I thought, well, here we go again. That has been a flagrant all year.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I was wondering what happened to EJ to give him a bloody lip. I’m surprised he got to stay in the game.

11:02 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Yes, that extra elbow lift was so obvious, especially against such a tall guy in Nick. I missed it, how did EJ end up bleeding early, and do we need him to get hit in the mouth a little every game?

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

IQ has become our most consistent player. We will need his calm, steady presence going into the post season. Probably my favorite kid on the team, although Nick is right up there with him.

11:05 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m a little surprised they let it go as a common foul, but if the refs are making an effort to play it straight from here on out, I’m not holding them to whatever else they have been doing all season. Haha

11:08 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Maybe getting hit in the mouth (happens every game) and just staying in the game is the key to get him going.

18. J-Dub421
    11:04 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

It’s only a flagrant if we do it. Our guys get elbowed in the head/faced all the time, and the refs are like, “Play on!”

19. J-Dub421
    11:07 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I got a phone call a little while ago and missed the story about Roderick Rhodes and Pitino. I caught the tail end about Rhodes crying after missing free-throws, etc. But what was the first part of the story? Why did he transfer?

11:11 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I kind of missed it too.

11:14 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

The rumor is that he was caught with a girl the night before, Pitino said he better play well or else, and then he missed free throws and knew his career here was over. The guys don’t know if it is actually true.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Damn those phone calls! I hate it when work intrudes on KSR time.

11:21 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Clearly, Pitino changed his standards by the time he got to U-6.

20. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Jim Bowden dismantled a good Reds team to make himself look like a genius and bring Griffey Jr. to Cincinnati. The Griffeys never played together in Cincinnati, only in Seattle.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I went to a Catholic grade school, and yes, they sure as hell paddled! We had a nun as our principal, and she was a mean one. I used to hang around a kid who had a really goofy laugh, and when he started giggling I couldn’t help myself but to laugh with him. We both got sent to the office for spitballs, and when Sister Sylvester told us to bend over and grab our ankles, he started giggling, and that just made her madder. That paddle was about 18 inches long and had holes drilled in it – I am convinced to make it sting more. It would whistle on the way down. 🙂

22. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I personally think a little swat on the behind to get a kid’s attention is OK, but the problem is where do you draw the line? Someone might think it is OK to take it a step further and hit them with a belt, or a clenched fist.

• StillBP
      11:23 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I got paddled in first grade lol. Wouldn’t stop talking…me, running my mouth…imagine that 🙂

23. TPACAT
    11:20 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Hell yeah. Spank ‘em at home and at school. 50% of respect is good old-fashioned fear…

24. Realme
    11:20 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Spanking seems to be more about the anger of the adult than the correction of the child for their benefit. Said by a child free person, so grain of salt.

• StillBP
      11:27 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

speaking as someone who was on the receiving end of several spankings, I’d say they were more effective than grounding me. Got spanked way less than I got grounded. I feared the switch, I did not fear sitting in my room listening to music. But I’m not throwing my hat into the ring to argue about the best way to parent. What works for one kid may not work for another. Glad I don’t have human kids 🙂 My dog listens better than most kids so I don’t have to spank him haha

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

For me, I rarely actually had to swat my kids. But just by implying that it was coming, they would usually straighten right up. The threat was rarely given.

11:30 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Of my two kids, spanking worked great for one and wasn’t needed all that much; the other one, don’t bother, because it only made things worse. It really depends on the kid, and they have to understand that you love them. Otherwise, it’s just beating on them out of anger.

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Today, a much more effective punishment would be to take their phones away. But alas, it is hard to follow up on that threat. Even some school assignments require access to a device.

Come to think of it, instead of impeachment, the Dem’s should have pushed to have Donald’s phone privileges taken away. I think his head would explode if someone pried that thing out of his twittling little fingers!

11:54 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

The most effective thing for my 13 year old now is the threat of having his XBox taken away. lol He has seen the YouTube videos of dads smashing xboxes and I don’t make any guarantees that I won’t do the same.

11:56 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

OMG if Trump was banned from Twitter as his impeachment punishment? He would cry!

• StillBP
      11:57 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

oh he’d have a burner phone with a notdonaldtrump account that he’d use

25. DavidP19
    11:24 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I am always amazed at what common sense things aren’t understood by some educated individuals ( Lemond is obviously excluded from that group ) You usually spank on the butt because it is the MOST PADDED area and most likely not to injure but, to make an impression.

26. ClutchCargo
    11:25 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

If the adults of our society hadn’t gone batshit crazy, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion over what is the appropriate way to punish a kid. It’s only going to get worse as today’s kids grow up to be the next generation of adults.

27. ClutchCargo
    11:27 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Way to kill the Iowa Caucus, KSR. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

KSR curse strikes again!

11:31 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

They should just go with whatever Shannon decided.

28. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Quickley tied a record for consecutive FT’s in a game last night. Kid is a dead-eye. We will miss him next year.

• StillBP
      11:39 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

yes and how about Big Nick’s ft shooting?Almost as many points from the line as Field Goals

• StillBP
      11:40 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I meant as many points from free throws as points from field goals

29. J-Dub421
    11:33 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

Pitino had affairs back when he was at UK. He was just more discreet back then. When he went to U6 he no longer had anyone to hold him accountable for his behavior due to the fawning sycophants in the Louisville media and the mass scale corruption at U6.

11:42 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I have no idea what he did in his personal life when he was at UK, but he wouldn’t have had any players left at U6 if that’s all it took for them to get the boot there.

30. J-Dub421
    11:43 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen a theory (just rumors) that Michigan State is probably going to get slapped by the NCAA soon and that’s why D’Antoni is bailing now. I didn’t know about the retention bonus he just got. That’s low.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

I heard that too.

31. RealCatsFan
    11:58 am February 5, 2020 Permalink

This guy talking about his beatings in Russell County HS is hilarious! Definitely the Call of the Day.