Β© Kim Klement | USATSI

© Kim Klement | USATSI

Welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss last night’s Super Bowl, including the commercials, Saturday’s comeback win at Florida, and…the angriest Matt’s ever been on radio? If that tease doesn’t get you to tune in, I don’t know what will.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

84 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/4: Super Bowl, the Florida win, and the angriest Matt’s ever been on radio

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Nothing like watching UK, and getting a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote from Dan Dakich…now I’m impressed; evidently IU athletes go to class.
    Insert UNC joke here.

10:02 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Whoever the other guy was said where forth art thou when referring to Langford. So…

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Yep, Juliet is not asking, “where are you”; she’s asking WHY are you named Montague. So doesn’t apply to Langford…oh well.

10:09 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I was listening to The Leach Report earlier, and he was interviewing Dan Dakich. I know Matt has his differences, and he has trolled us a little bit in the past, but he sure was high on the Cats today, and I really liked his call of the Florida game. Even when he says something negative about UK, he is usually saying the truth, even when it hurts sometimes. He is becoming my favorite announcer, to be honest. Definitely passes Bilas ever since Jay decided to defend UNCheat.

10:11 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Totally agree RealCats.

10:12 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I miss Kara Lawson. Agree, Dakich is definitely in the good announcer column. Everything else he does or says is easily avoided.

10:14 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Dakich the announcer is good. Dakich online is a troll.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:18 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Jdub:
      with the next KSR tee-shirt theme

• And the play by play guy made an “Enrico Palazzo” reference when Shows gave us the gift on the 2 foul shots by Herro because he was Michael Jacksoning so hard with the block call that he missed it was a pass and not a shot.

10:40 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

rg, if Dakitch (or any announcer) would actually troll UNCheat on the air about their fake classes, and do it consistently, I would be a fan for life.

• ^^^I wish I could like this 1000 times.

2. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:04 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

One of the announcers of the Super Bowl said Brady owns every record you can think of. I can think of one he doesn’t own, all time passing yardage which belongs to Brees, who got screwed out of the Super Bowl.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Shannon really needs to give up wrestling. He is going to get his azz kicked and end up with some kind of permanent injury. We ain’t kids anymore, STD!

4. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

So was my sound going out during the halftime show, or were they having to bleep out f-bombs from the rap artist who was performing.

10:14 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know, I turned it off out of boredom early in the second quarter. Can we make a new rule for the Super Bowl that each team has to play with 2 fewer players on defense than on offense?

10:15 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I turned the tv off during halftime. No interest in any of the artists. Matt doesn’t care if they lip sync??

10:18 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

They were bleeping.

10:34 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I had it on because my 14-yo wanted to see it. Even she thought it was awful.

10:41 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I will say this (having sung at halftime of UK games with the marching band when I was in choir at UK), it’s really hard to sing in a football stadium like that. You can’t really hear yourself because it’s so loud, and the stadium is so big there’s a huge lag time with the sound.

• And I guess there’s always more chance of technical glitches with singing than there is with lip syncing.

11:21 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Funniest thing about the halftime show to me was that Mrs. RCF thought that Travis Scott was going to be a country music star. πŸ™‚

11:36 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Nope, just a Kardashian/Jenner baby daddy.

5. Realme
    10:15 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

No. Lip synching is stupid. I give up my fasting Monday Morning brain can’t spell it. Dance less if you need more air to sing.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Somebody explain that call when Brady threw to his receiver, the guy caught the ball, and they tackled him behind the line.They gave the Patriots a 15 yd penalty and first down.
    The announcers said, “you have to give him time to become a runner”. Huh, what was that? How long do you have to give him? Never, ever seen a call like that.

10:17 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Surely the announcer was just an idiot and there was another reason for that call (that it was wrong, maybe).

10:19 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

They were not going to deny Brady his 6th ring.

10:19 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

If it’s the play I’m thinking of there was a facemask penalty.

10:22 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

The refs missed multiple blatant holds by the Rams, and multiple PI’s, also on the Rams (and 1 on the Pats).

• StillBP
      11:49 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

They said it was a hit to the neck/head area. Luckily that call didn’t have much of an effect on the game, the Pats still ended up punting on that drive.

7. CATandMONKEY
    10:16 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Matt with the ULTIMATE horrible musical opinion.

SMDH

10:18 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

He should be muted on all music and food references.

10:37 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I missed it because I was on a phone call. What was he talking about?

10:39 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

He said he’d rather the half time performers lip sync than “sound bad”.

8. Realme
    10:20 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

No no no no no. The UK football commercial was the best one. Only one I watched, but still.

10:25 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of FB….Am I the last person in the BBN to see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XRiMmDspLc I know it’s old but really good.

• chrisnoleinky
      12:01 pm February 4, 2019 Permalink

If there is a ksr day in Cincinnati can I wear cubs stuff since I’m a cubs fan?

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I liked the Pringles one with the Alexa machine lamenting she had no hands, no mouth, and no soul.
      Later, my wife was rambling about something, and I said,
      Hey Babe
      What,
      Play Funky Town.
      Didn’t go over too well, ha ha.

10:37 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Iam, I’ve seen a couple specials on SJ, but I don’t know if that was one of them. He was the best.

10:37 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

The one with Harrison Ford and the dog was pretty funny.

10:41 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

If it’s not Realme you really should watch it.

10:46 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Ok, thanks.

9. BTW, if we can actually talk about the Florida game πŸ™‚
    I was reminded in the pregame (by Buzz Baker) Saturday that Eddie Sutton once passed out valentines to the UF students before a game and it somewhat defused them. Pretty funny.

• And the students apparently did get a kick out of it.

10:33 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

The students tried to troll Brad Calipari. All I know is, if you’re trolling Brad, you’ve kind of got nothing. That’s the best you’ve got Florida? Weak.

10:36 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and we have to give Brad props for autographing the kid’s poster. Pretty funny, actually.

10. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:28 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

That was a huge win in Florida Saturday! So proud of the team. If only Cal could coach.

10:36 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I’ll admit, I had resigned myself to a loss. Not only did they come back, they won by double digits. Excellent.

10:36 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Our defense was impressive, especially in the second half. I wish I could get other fans to stop going into panic mode over slow starts. We start slow, get over it! It’s a 40 minute game! We’ll come back!

10:38 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

And my innocuous comment gets moderated.

10:40 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I too was accepting defeat when we were down 11in the second half, only to find myself jumping up and down and screaming at the TV during the comeback.

10:42 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I was worried at that point, but once we got it back to single digits, I really felt like we were going to win it in the end.

10:42 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I knew we’d come back. We start slow in games, but finish well.

10:47 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I wasn’t sure after that horrible foul called on EJ. I was sure we wouldn’t get another call.

10:51 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I wasn’t sure, because sometimes the eventual comeback starts too late, as in at Bama. But yeah, once it was down to a deficit of 6 it was like we weren’t down any more.

11:01 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I am starting to really love the moxie that this team shows. They never look rattled. Now in the Duke game they did get rattled, but they seem to have learned from that loss, and you can see a type of determination about them now.

11:15 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Holy cow! My moderated comment got released from purgatory. (It was the comment about defense and slow starts.)

11:23 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

That’s because today is a Tyler day.

11. J-Dub421
    10:44 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Keldon isn’t anywhere close to his ceiling.

10:59 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Nope – and I hope he finds it around Feb 16th.

12. Maybe Palantonio has heard Matthew Harper “I don’t know squat about the NFL but I still got a job talking about in on ESPN radio…hahaha” Jones admit such and kind of resents it. Just thinking out loud.

13. Realme
    10:56 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I’d be willing to bet Matt mocked Sal Pal at some point in his radio history or online or something.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:58 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Caller mentioned Mercer and Anderson – Thunder and Lightning. One of my favorite combo’s of all time. It’s a shame that Derek got hurt – that team would have made it 3 in a row.

11:17 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

We would have won anyway, if the refs weren’t so terrible. That was the final against Arizona where they show 41 free throws to our 17, and Arizona show 17 of their free throws in overtime (we shot none), and didn’t make a single field goal in overtime. The refs handed that game to Arizona. I’m still bitter.

11:18 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

*shot, not show.

11:45 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

That was the biggest screw job ever, they were not going to let us win that game no matter what it took. If I remember correctly they didn’t score anything other than a free throw in the last 2 minutes of regulation either.

11:57 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

If runnin would get his hands out of that person’s brain he could give us the play by play with his unbelievable memory.

15. What did that caller say to end the hour that was so funny? I hate when I only catch the laughter.

11:07 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

If Tyler stays another year he’ll be 10 times better than Rex, and he didn’t get his Wendy’s card.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:07 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I must admit that I was actually pulling for IU against MSU because I knew it would help us. I had to take a shower shortly after that. πŸ™‚

Of course, when University-6 and UNCheat were playing I really, really, really wanted there to be a way for them to both lose. We beat them both, so it really didn’t matter what happened in that one.

Question – when UL plays dook, who do we want to win?

11:19 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Sinkhole!

11:21 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

LSU helped us out by losing over the weekend. Now Tennessee is the only undefeated team in our conference. Want to know something really annoying? ESPN STILL has MSU ranked ahead of us.

11:24 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Giant meteor? πŸ™‚

11:29 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Alien abduction?

11:34 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Those would both work as well.

11:51 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Oooohh! I got it! (Holds hand up in the back of class) Alien abduction with multiple orifice probes!

17. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:15 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

running is missing, must be cracking someones skull today.

11:22 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Probably started us off and now has his fingers in someone’s brain. πŸ™‚

11:53 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Might be a good thing he is a neurosurgeon and not an OB/GYN, or he might be tempted to tattoo “UK” on someone’s uterus. πŸ˜‰

18. Realme
    11:33 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I think Matt is just embarrassed he pronounced “Talmadge” stupidly so he’s mocking the hell out of Ryan for knowing how to pronounce it.

11:38 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Matt should be embarrassed about his pronunciation of Brassiere Provence. I cringe every time he butchers it.

11:39 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think I’ve heard that one, but I can imagine…

11:41 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

It’s in the ads.

19. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:42 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

They don’t know what a knapsack is? Are you serious??