KSR Show Thread 2/3: Back from Iowa

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. The gang is back from Iowa, so tune in to hear them recap their trip and get back into the normal flow of things. Who will everyone endorse??

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

87 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/3: Back from Iowa

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Close game down the stretch; Auburn with 16 FT’s to UK’s 4 in the last 6 minutes; Auburn at the line in 8 of their last 12 possessions . UK with 2 players fouling out, 3 players with 4 fouls compared to Auburn’s one player with 4 fouls.
    Name any team in the country that could overcome that? I watch a lot of ball, and I haven’t seen one. There was no way we were leaving with a W.

• Realme
      10:03 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Our guys should have played better, but they also should have been allowed to actually play by the refs. Even a former head of officials admitted that it was bad. Write that one off, we were due to “take one on the chin” to quote Leach.

10:15 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

In the first half, I was shocked to see us not get called for those phantom fouls that you expect on the road. But the refs regrouped and brought their A game in the second half. No reason to give up so many offensive rebounds, though. I don’t care how many fouls you get called for, gotta go get the ball. Usually the more aggressive team gets the calls anyway.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:16 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

They just called another foul, Auburn is back at the line….

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Better go to the monitor, and make sure it wasn’t flagrant.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:20 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

It seems like the refs call the game in the first half differently than they do the second. It seemed they were giving us a fair shake in the first half so I just knew they were going to stick it to us in the second.

10:21 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I know it’s been said a lot of times already, but college basketball is just fugly right now. I literally have zero interest in watching any non-UK games these days. And even the UK games, I’m probably DVRing it and catching it later, unless it’s at a normal game time and I’m at home to watch it live.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I was at a tournament in Indy, so didn’t get to see the game aside from about the last 5 minutes when we went to dinner afterwards. Thought about watching it just to see how bad it was, but on second thought – nope, I have better things to do with my time. Mrs RCF was at home watching and she told me how bad it was.

And yeah, certain players didn’t bring it, but if you have to worry about getting a foul called on you if you breathe on someone, I can certainly see how it would be tough to get in the flow.

2. Realme
    10:05 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

It was so low stress watching a game where I didn’t care who won. Kind of boring, but 0 heart palpitations.

10:12 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I assume you’re referring to the Super Bowl. I was for the Chiefs only because the Niners have 2 rings that the Bengals were within a fingernail of getting. The fact that Kyle Shanahan called such stupid plays to cost the Falcons a SB added to it also.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Agree, Chris; I was for the Chiefs. The Niners have their rings…the Chiefs were due; 50 years.

3. J-Dub421
    10:06 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t get to watch the game on Sat. because we were out to dinner for a friend’s birthday. (I set the game to record, but it didn’t. Stupid DVR.) Either way, it must be nice to have the refs just hand you the game via 20 more free throws.

• Realme
      10:18 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I forgot to watch until halftime, and then right before I caught up with real time, the internet blinked out. Came right back but Youtube TV decided to freeze up for over 10 minutes. I was so mad. There’s no way to force it to reset on my tv. By the time I was actually seeing it I just knew it was a loss already.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:09 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

So an Auburn fan calls local show this morning and just goes ON and ON about the officiating and how bad it was for AU. I’m thinking “You won! Shut it!”

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

If you shoot 44 FT’s, you have no complaints. They should stick to football; Auburn’s best basketball days are in the past with Person, Barkley, and Stan Pietkiewicz. The ncaa hammer will fall, and Pearl will be done.

10:17 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

And then we will have to put Self-righteous1 on suicide watch.

• CrystalBall
      10:43 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Clutch. What is the likelyhood that R1 is really a UL fan?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:22 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Colorado dude wants Bruce Pearl to come to Kentucky after Cal leaves. How crazy is that?

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

And the guy crying yet again about Cal’s Super Bowl on Draft Night…he’s a one string banjo; he actually thinks Cal doesn’t care about winning; preposterous.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:27 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert was talking about how Cal can’t coach, just rolls the ball out, among the most ignorant comments.

10:27 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I like Bruce Pearl as an ESPN talking head, but I want no part of him as coach at UK. People try to pin vacated wins at UMass and Memphis on Cal (even though the NCAA went out of their way to say he was not directly implicated), but Brucie has had severe ethical and NCAA legal issues pretty much everywhere he has been. He’s a great hype man, for programs who need that to get pumped up. We’re not that kind of program, though.

• CrystalBall
      10:35 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you Clutch. Couldn’t have articulated it any finer.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Superbowls, I sure hope this damned stretch of road games as Everybody’s Superbowl is over for a while. I would say that I am looking forward to Auburn coming to Rupp so the tables will be turned in regards to the officiating, but we know they will still screw us at home.

10:30 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Pearl’s almost as old as Cal isn’t he? If that was not the case that would be one thing.

BTW, since Rece Davis said something about “Walking Through the Pearly Gates” when introducing him, and with the money coaches make these days, is he “The Pearl of Great Price”. Buhd-omp PSSSHHH!!!

Thank you! Enjoy the chicken! I’ll see myself out.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Brucie should run for Congress after he is run out of basketball. He is a perfect fit.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Correct, Clutch. Pearl had sanctions at Southern Indiana, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and UT. Now problems at Auburn; he might skate, but we don’t want him.

• Realme
      10:34 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Eeyore sincerely believes Cal cares more about the draft than winning, and that players play bad because they are trying to impress scouts…

And speaking of Pearl, why was he so angry about all the fouls that were going against us. 5 fouls in a row on us, he pitches a fit, over and over. And tries to get kicked out (copycat).

• 4everUKBlue
      10:45 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone else hear Jay Bias say they’re not calling any fouls? I think what he meant to say was they’re not calling any fouls on Auburn.

10:56 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Bilas is like a frustrated wannabe debate team member. He likes to zero in on little details and beat it into the ground just for the sake of argument. He should have stuck to being a lawyer.

10:58 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

CrystalBall, I don’t think R1 is a U-6 fan. He’s just a pompous ass with an anti-Cal agenda. He an trashburn probably have a special kind of relationship on the down low.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:23 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

6. J-Dub421
    10:23 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Auburn shot 51 total shots, 23 of them were threes, yet they managed to shoot 44 free throws. They shot almost as many free throws as they did field goals! That should not be possible.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:24 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

10:26 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Never mind. I thought I could share photos that way. It may work if you have a Google account and you log in.

10:31 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Me and my AU alum coworker ran into Rece Davis at Toomer’s Corner. We didn’t stay for the game. No one had tickets and the guys that were trying to buy and sell tix were going to want to much.

10:59 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Two much?
      Too much?
      2 much?

8. Realme
    10:24 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

If Whitney really left mid-semester to declare for the draft, I cannot respect that. Parental pressure or not. Y’all can be as understanding as you want. It’s a nope for me.

10:33 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you. I tend to believe the rumors that his dad is calling the shots, because Whitney didn’t appear to have a bad attitude at all, right up until the time he announced he was leaving. But if coming to UK is the first step in preparing for your career, it’s time to start being your own man. If he had just hung in there until he started to figure it out instead of bailing, he could have been a difference maker for this team.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Vince Lombardi, “Winners never quit, quitters never win”.
      Mike Tyson, “Champions don’t quit”.
      Michael Jordan, “If you quit once, it becomes a habit”.
      Me, It will be even easier to quit the next time…ask Quade.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Hat tip to CG for suggesting the new Microsoft Edge browser. I downloaded it, and it works like a charm! Now I can see the KSR comments without all the annoying ads. Oops, maybe I should have kept this a secret so the Russian hackers that KSR hires to develop the site don’t “fix” it. 🙂

10:32 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

No lie! It is super fast on my work PC also, but I just got upgraded to an SSD and a little more RAM. Still, it’s a faster browser than Chrome & Firefox it seems.

10:36 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Chrome is my go-to, but I may have to try Edge just for this site. I’m naturally resistant to something that is pushed so hard like that browser is (by Microsoft).

10:43 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Believe me Clutch, they hit a home run with this. It’s built on Chromium just like Chrome is, but better IMO. Also, your Chrome add-ons or whatever they’re called transfer over.

10. Realme
    10:37 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Do you think Bilas has ever said “my mistake” or ” I was wrong”? Ever?

10:43 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Or “I don’t know?”, without following up by pontificating at length to show he understands the issues better than anybody else.

• Realme
      10:53 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I have a boss that won’t say I don’t know. She’ll give a wrong answer that shows she doesn’t understand what I do, and then I have to try to be tactful with the real answer.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

There is a certain person in Washington whom I am certain never said those words. 🙂

11:04 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Those people are the worst, RM (I have several in-laws like that, so I say that with love :). I decided years ago that it’s not worth wasting the time and brain power to try to hide the fact that I really don’t know. Knowing how to find the answer is a lot better, and makes you look smarter than pretending you already know everything.

11:08 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Haha! There’s hundreds of those people in Washington, RCF!

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:38 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

RG, you made the comment about not seeing me because my sign was too big. If you go back and look at the 3rd crowd shot here, and zoom in on the photo if you can, you can see my face but barely because I’m short, and also because the ladies in front of me had (orange) signs.

10:39 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Jack said on the Live Blog that he tried to get a good shot of my sign but they wouldn’t let him far enough out on the floor. Haha.

• Realme
      10:43 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Found you. That was very Where’s Waldo, had to see the pic of your sign first and then scroll to the group shot.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Good sign, though; I didn’t think KSR show thread would show up in Auburn.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

What area of the picture are you in? I see a lot of signs that have orange on them!

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Oh, now I found you, after I saw the closeup of your sign!

10:56 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Look for the sign that’s a little ways to the left of the 606 sign.

BTW, I met that guy and his son and said “Do you still live in KY?” Him: “Yes”. Me: “Where are you from?” Him: “Well, we’re from a really small town called Liberty.” Me: “That’s where my mom is from!” Him: “No way!”

It turns out he’s the Casey County attorney (Brian Wright).

10:57 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

The guy with the 606 sign that is.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Dakich is full of himself and a troll at times, but he knows his stuff and tells it like it is most of the time, and I respect that. He called out the refs in the Auburn game.

Dickie V is a great ambassador for the sport, but as an announcer, he gets annoying very quickly. I like him, but in very small doses, and never, ever when he is calling a dook game.

• Realme
      10:43 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I prefer Dakich to pretty much everyone but Tom Hart as far as announcers go.

10:46 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Dookie V annoys me because he actually detracts from the game. There is no way you could look away from the TV, listen to him talk, and have any idea what just happened in the game that is on.

I’m good with Dakich. He’s one of those people you sometimes want to punch in the throat, but you have respect for him at the same time.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

A lot of people trash Vitale; but, he’s been good for college basketball. He’s coached in the NBA and in college; he has a business degree, and a Masters in Education, and has written several books. I respect him; at least he doesn’t call for more fouls like J Bilas.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha Clutch; I watched a game last week with Bill Walton…he talked about Frank Lloyd Wright the whole game; hilarious.

10:49 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I would love to hear Vitale just speak at some event, and I’m sure he would have some great and insightful stories to tell. I don’t want to hear him ramble during the broadcast of a game, though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Bill Walton is a national treasure, and I would love to have a beer with him, although I am sure he would prefer to share something else.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

The Google Superbowl ad hit me right in the feels. Actually started tearing up.

Did they play the UK Football ad in Louisville? I didn’t see it.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I just KNEW that Ryan would approve of the halftime show. 😉

15. Realme
    10:55 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

That was some crappy lip syncing, but I guess most of the viewing audience didn’t care as long as certain body parts were shaking.

11:02 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Matt sent a tweet insinuating anyone who didn’t like it is a cranky old man. I guess he never read Galatians 5:19 and Matthew 5:27-28. It’s got nothing to do with age.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

My kids are old enough where it’s long past the time of trying to shield them from crotch grabbing, twerking and pole dancing, but if they were still 8 I would have probably switched to the Puppy Bowl.

• StillBP
      11:18 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

had to compete with Adam Levine stripping on stage last year

16. Realme
    10:58 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Don’t here a real life you’ns very often.

• Realme
      11:04 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

*hear

17. RealCatsFan
    10:58 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

So there is really a rapper named “Bad Bunny”? He should wear a pink bunny suit like the kid in A Christmas Story.

18. runningunnin.454
    10:59 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I saw Paul McCartney at the Super Bowl; thought he could have helped the half-time show; but, the ladies would have told him, “you may be a lover, but you ain’t no dancer”. Hee Haw

19. RealCatsFan
    11:04 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Does anyone think Nick could have hurt his draft stock by not showing out against Auburn? I hope not. Hopefully he will do better against them in Rupp.

• Realme
      11:14 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Certainly shows he still has weaknesses.

11:21 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Matt sent a tweet about Nick not performing well this year when the other team has had a big physical enter. And I replied with THAT is why Reid Travis was so valuable last year. We had a guy who sometimes scored very little but he was still down on the block beating on people and taking them out of the game. I wonder if we win it all if he doesn’t get hurt. I know he came back, but I don’t think he was ever 100%.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Wanting to be on QVC is simply SOOOO Matt.

21. Realme
    11:11 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Matt used to playact that he was a QVC personality. That’s a normal guy thing, right fellas?

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Right – did he play with Barbies too?

11:25 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I would say that’s a normal Matt thing.

Hey, I had the GI Joe “action figures.” That’s not at all the same thing as playing with dolls. lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Ha hah, but I think it is, Clutch.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I had those too! Seeing the prices for some of them on eBay kind of makes me regret that incident with the M80 firecrackers. 🙂 Kung Fu Grip GI Joes in good condition can fetch some $$$.

11:46 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

I always took great care of my stuff when I was a kid. Right up until it was time to blow it up with firecrackers. Ha! I loved to build model cars too, but I also loved to load them up with a whole pack of Black Cats and roll them down the driveway.

22. J-Dub421
    11:31 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

When I saw the article that Kahlil Whitney was leaning towards the NBA, I thought, “Oh honey, no.” If he can’t get plating time at UK, he’s not going to get more at the next level. Kind of makes me want to slap his dad and tell him to remove his head from his sphincter.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

True, maybe he can develop a shot in the G League.

11:42 am February 3, 2020 Permalink

Maybe his athleticism will be enough to earn a G league spot, but there’s no way in hell a NBA team is going to use a draft pick on him. At this point he is just a little more athletic version of the multitude of guys with his size and skill set that are trying to make it in pro basketball.