KSR Show Thread, 2/22: Recapping the Cats’ win in Knoxville and more

Photo by Elliott Hess | UK Athletics

Photo by Elliott Hess | UK Athletics

It should be a fun morning on Kentucky Sports Radio as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude recap the weekend, including UK’s huge win over Tennessee at Tennessee. The Cats have now won three straight with the SEC Tournament coming up, but still need to find a game this week. The show will catch you up on all the latest and more beginning at 10 am.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

101 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 2/22: Recapping the Cats’ win in Knoxville and more

1. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I just love UL drunk frat boys,

10:00 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I haven’t watched either of his stupid videos. I can tell from his face before even pressing play that he would just get on my nerves. Win something that matters, bro. Ever.

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

You just know Neeli Bendapudi loves one of the University’s prominent representatives putting on such a good show; bet she watched it. Hee Haw

10:12 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yep, acting like an idiot, and ignoring covid protocols. She must be thrilled with him right now.

10:14 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I thought it was absolutely hilarious, and I love it. It’s just what this rivalry needed! 😀 So glad it’s Universty-6’s coach making an ass of himself instead of UK’s (BCG).

10:15 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I guess BCG would just drunkenly sing?

10:35 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I had a buddy back in the day who was a dead ringer for Belushi. He turned into a wildman as well after a few too many – he was absolutely hilarious.

10:41 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Who is Neeli Bendapudi?

BTW, I meant to post my thoughts about the video here but I forgot to.

Anyway, have I mentioned that I hate Canvas? 🙂

10:43 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

U6 Pres. (I googled to make sure ;))

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I though this video was actually hilarious. Although, I was laughing at them and not with them.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

After spending the weekend up there, it is safe to say that you can scratch Muncie, IN off my list of possible places to live. Absolute armpit of the nation, and the gym we played in smelled like armpits. Plus, there was absolutely no cell phone signal or usable wifi in there, so I wasn’t able to stream the games back home (or listen to the UK game). Glad we get a break for a few weeks after spending literally the last five weekends in Indiana.

10:15 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Sounds like all of Indiana outside of Indianapolis.

10:17 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I actually was in Indianapolis for a couple weekends – downtown. The hotel we stayed in was almost $200/night, they charged $40/night for parking, and you didn’t even get a free breakfast. Oh, and half the elevators were out because of construction, so that was a kluster too. Armpit!

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Gary is not great, either; I like Evansville, it’s nice.

10:19 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

rg, E’ville is a nice little town. I have a brother who lives there, and another who lives in Ferdinand. Yeah, and I have heard stories about how bad it is in Gary.

10:19 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I only gave Indianapolis credit because they have a proper Chicago pizza place. I was born in a neighboring town to Gary. Always grateful that my parents moved before I was old enough to be affected.

10:33 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

rm, Mrs. RCF was also born in Indiana (in Ferdinand, at Stork Memorial Hospital – how ironic. 🙂 ) I occasionally take the opportunity to ridicule her for being a native Hoosier. 😉

10:41 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

What a great hospital to be born at. 🙂

10:47 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Whey are those towns so bad? I really don’t know anything about Indiana except for corn for days, just like much of that area all the way to Winnipeg when you’re not in a city.

RCF, I don’t know if there is a UK affiliate in Muncie, but sometimes there is still no substitute for a good old fashioned AM/FM Walkman when high tech isn’t working or isn’t available. Of course AM won’t work if you’re in a building with a lot of steel, so there’s that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

cg, it’s basically south side of Chicago extended down into Indiana.

10:49 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Gary was the murder capitol of the country for quite a while. (very close to Chicago)

10:49 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

RM, were you born there too?

10:52 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

cg, it was kind of a cell phone dead spot to begin with, but yeah, the building was all steel. No chance of getting a cell signal in there. I usually do a FB Live of the games for the folks back home – a lot of the venues are onlly allowing one parent to attend. I couldn’t even get text messages to go out for a while to keep Mrs RCF updated on the score. You realize how dependent on those things we have become when you can’t use them.

10:52 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

No, I just thought being born at Stork Hospital was fun.

10:55 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I can lose track of my phone, in my own house, and my heart starts racing. It’s an addiction.

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

My fitness tracker watch has a “find your phone” feature that I have to use sometimes. I don’t start freaking out unless I try that and I don’t hear my phone ringing anywhere.

11:27 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I gotcha RCF. I thought you meant not having wifi to listen to the UK game.

11:39 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Clutch, after my daughter drove off with the house keys and several sets of car keys on the trunk of her car a few months ago (cost us $400), we went out and got the Tile to help locate keychains. It has a reverse locator that will chime your phone if you have misplaced it. Now if you are bad enough that you lose both, I guess you are on your own.

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

RCF, it’s very possible that I would have lost both when I was younger. I have to be super disciplined about putting my stuff in exactly the same place each time I come into the house.

12:03 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, and now it’s even worse post-pandemic. Used to be phone, keys, wallet, and now it’s phone, keys, wallet, mask.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Still haven’t had a chance to sit down and watch the DVR replay of the game, but I did see a couple highlights. That Jackson blowby and posterization of Fulkerson, and the inbound lob to Toppin – oh my! That looked like fun!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

At last, I have no problem with Allen’s lack of minutes; Toppin has earned the minutes.

10:18 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, but I still feel a little sorry for Dontae. I hope he hangs in there, continues to work on his game, and re-emerges as the next Darius Miller.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

That would be nice; would probably not have won the ’12 title without another Kentucky Mr Basketball, probably the best 6th man in UK history.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:23 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

…awaiting moderation huh? smh

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Is it time for those who are able to bet on sports outside the state of Kentucky to throw down on the Cats to win the national championship at 80/1?

6. Realme
    10:21 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yep, the lack of opportunity for Dontaie was only infuriating when he could shoot, and no one else could. Still would have won the Louisville game if he got in.

10:22 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

pretend that was a reply

7. Realme
    10:23 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Did Matt just make a 50k bet with Shannon? Uh, he won’t pay. Wonder if the guys got their AMC $ yet.

10:25 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Surprise, he’s already trying to weasel out just in case.

10:43 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

MJ gets made when ppl just want their Wendy’s. He’s gonna pony up 50k? When pigs fly.

10:49 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I’m still waiting for that fan party after UK beat UL and Lamar…

10:52 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Mad…I can’t spell today.

• JTHinton
      11:02 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Realms, there’s no way he’ll pay! If I’m not mistaken, he STILL hasn’t paid the “book a guest week” winner from April .

11:03 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Or the scavenger hunt the guy with the cat won.

11:28 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Don’t get me started on the “Book a guest” week the way he strung Eric Bischoff (and by extension ME) along and then never had him on the show.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:26 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Boy, Texas had a melt down; big brouhaha between couple of their players, and they proceeded to blow a 19 point lead against W. Virginia.

10:31 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, kind of wish we could schedule a make-up game with them now.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Was that Ed Ogeron on the phone just now?

10:31 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Maybe his dad?

10. runningunnin.454
    10:34 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yep, big win for Swimming/Diving, well done. Not so good for WBB; I thought refs were going to foul our whole team out in 1st quarter.

10:38 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, not great. I could have sworn the guys said their hard games were over and they would just be able to pad their record the last few weeks of the season.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:38 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Kentucky shot 10/11 from FT line (91%). South Carolina shot 16/24 (67%). They didn’t want UK going to the line. Sad the refs didn’t let them play.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:39 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I posted this on the article about the Mack video (edited somewhat):

For those saying this is just like the other Mack video (the one aimed at Cal), I disagree. That one was just some (somewhat) good natured ribbing/smack talk from one coach to another. This one is at least partially about maturity level. Granted, since I’m a teetotaler my perspective comes partially from that viewpoint, but even if I wasn’t, compare this video to what Mark Stoops has said a couple times. After a big win here or there he has said he drank bourbon (I think he said “a little” on at least one of those occasions). Although I don’t drink at all and detest it for spiritual reasons, I believe from a pragmatic perspective there is a huge difference between a coach celebrating in the manner that Stoops apparently does and what we saw in this video.

Stoops isn’t getting in front of a video camera and acting like an (apparently) immature fool in a drunken manner as far as we know. I’m not saying I would fire Mack if I was the UL AD, but it definitely calls for disciplinary measures IMO. Like it or not, PR is important.

10:42 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

The only thing that would have made the video funnier would be if Mack was holding a bottle of Crown Royal.

10:44 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

And wearing one of those rubber Card heads.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Say WHAT one more damn time; I dare you, I double-dare you.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

A line beard is probably off the table with Mack. I don’t think he has a single hair follicle anywhere on his head.

10:53 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

His nickname should be Powder.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Seriously, I think Chris Mack was an extra in “Men In Black”.

11:05 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Maybe he has enough left in back to grow one of those little rat tails.

I think he is the illegitimate sibling of Terry Meiners. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Terry Meiners comes from a huge family. It would probably be easy to lose track of one or two of them. 🙂

11:14 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, a huge Catholic family – ’nuff said. (I also come from a big Catholic family. I guess the old-school Catholics need to spend more time watching TV as an effective BC method. 😉 )

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:43 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I can confirm. Eric Wood gets perms.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Even after the video and some of the other smack talk, I still don’t have the level of dislike for Mack that I had for Petrino. Maybe it’s because I just don’t feel the same level of disrespect coming from Mack (I think it is for the most part done in jest, and he actually does have respect for UK). Maybe it’s also because up until the worst team in UK Basketball history we have owned them. I have met him once, at a volleyball practice – his daughter plays on one of the other teams at our club.

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I don’t have any problem disliking Mack. I was watching a game when he played for Evansville; they were having a problem with the full court press, he was throwing the ball inbounds, and threw the ball right in the face of the defender, breaking the guy’s nose. He said the coach told him to do that; and I don’t doubt it, the coach was a disciple of Bob Knight, but still.

11:16 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

That’s unfortunate. Hopefully he doesn’t carry that same attitude into his coaching career. Guess I will have to ask the Dayton and Cinci fans.

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Well, I’m sure the Cincinnati fans will give you a completely unbiased opinion of anything Xavier. 😉 Man, there is some genuine hatred in that rivalry.

11:20 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, there have been some absolutely epic brawls at games between them.

14. chardun20
    10:50 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Why is this video good for the rivalry? By the time UK plays them again no one will care about this stupid video.

10:53 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

We’re just bored right now, so anything is worth talking about.

10:54 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

If the stands are full, there will be UK fans with stills from that video.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

If we beat them, it will come up again; ha ha.

10:54 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

And they’ll be doing the Steve Austin “WHAAAAT!” incessantly at him.

10:57 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I don’t know if it will be relevant next year or not, but it’s still fun to razz some UL fans about it even this year.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:16 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Matt is an NBA expert? I thought he was a football expert.

11:18 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

If so, then Shannon is right. No such thing as an expert.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I realize this was said sarcastically, but I really don’t consider Matt an expert on any sport.

• JTHinton
      11:39 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Matt is an expert on gauging what fans what to hear. And that’s why he’s successful.

Now, he lets his ego and pride get in the way, it’s why he’s turned a lot of people off his show with the politics.

16. Realme
    11:22 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Sigh, why bother trying to argue with people like this.

• spincr4hire72
      11:23 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Sadly it’s the majority of our fanbase

11:27 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I was talking to one of the other parents at the “after hours” party up in Muncie – he’s a UK fan, and also a staunch Republican. He said that he had issues with the players kneeling not just because he thought they were disrespecting the national anthem, and that Cal should not have allowed them to do it, but also because it created friction with half the fan base when these kids actually needed the full support of ALL of BBN. I told him that I felt like the kids had the right to express themselves, and perhaps Cal should have tried to talk them out of it, but I definitely agreed with him on the last point. So there, we can actually have civil discussions about this stuff.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I thought Cal could have handled it better, maybe explaining that during the Anthem before a college basketball game was not the proper time and place. They could have had a parade like WBB, carried signs, and made speeches. That didn’t seem to get the same negative responses.

11:35 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Just because I have freedom of speech doesn’t mean I should say 100% of what’s in my head. The kneeling was not smart, and Cal showed a gross lack of leadership that day. He showed capitulation IMO. No one will change my mind that kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful. It just is. Some disagree, but that’s my opinion.

11:36 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

And RCF, I’m glad you and that guy actually were able to have a conversation about it, and I need to be better about my attitude sometimes.

17. spincr4hire72
    11:23 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Ahh. Far Right wingers and “whataboutisms”. Never gets old

11:32 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

And you falsely calling Rush & others you disagree with certain names (that modbot didn’t let me say but did let you say the other day) just because you disagree with them never gets old either.

11:37 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

And I didn’t hear the call in question so I have no idea what was said, but liberals have gotten great at throwing out “Whataboutisms” when they have no substantive reply. “How dare you make an argument I can’t answer!”

11:43 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I disliked Rush not because I disagreed with him. I liked Paul Harvey a lot, even though I didn’t agree with everything he said. There are many others on both sides of the aisle I can mention. But what I disliked the most about Rush was the mean tone much of his rhetoric took on, and the fact that he grew wealthy by sewing the seeds of division in our nation.

18. Laker Cat 18
    11:23 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I don’t necessarily disagree with the video. Is that bad of me? Losing KP hurt tremendously.

19. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

LOL, our players weren’t drunk when they kneeled; I didn’t like it; but, I support freedom of speech 100%. The problem with Mack’s video is lack of Covid protocol (and obvious drunkenness). UL has missed two and three weeks of games due to Covid within their program.

11:29 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

rg, see my reply above. And regarding COVID, I think it is fairly amazing that almost ALL of the sports programs have managed to keep it in check. And I have heard from several sources that COVID is running rampant on the UK campus.

20. Laker Cat 18
    11:28 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Unpopular opinion: Tom Green’s best work was Freddy Got Fingered.

11:30 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Man, what the hell happened to him? Fell off the map. I guess his 15 minutes are up.

11:30 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

I liked his show a lot too.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:35 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Ashley has taken up some political positions that are controversial with some of the fans, so that may have affected the stock of her poster. I vote for the AD poster. That was epic!

22. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

Of all the players that I would love to see come back next year, Zay is at the top of the list. Sadly, I know he is 99% gone. 🙁

23. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am February 22, 2021 Permalink

2014 was an amazing and unexpected ride, but the ending sucked. 2012 was much more fun, with a satisfying ending. Same for 98 and 96.