KSR Show Thread 2/22: KSR is on the Road!

Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin have hit the road to prepare you for tomorrow’s matchup at Rupp Arena between the Cats and the Tigers.  Come on out to Water and Oak at the The Summit at Fritz Farms to see everything they have to say and win some tickets to see UK-Auburn.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

53 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/22: KSR is on the Road!

1. John Henry
    10:03 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

This is a great photo but Matt Jones is getting very fat. He looks to be 3x the size of Ryan. Better drop some weight Matt before you take on Mitch McConnell, Some people vote on looks and you have some work to do.

• Realme
      10:05 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I’m a dedicated Matt critic, but that’s a little much.

• ClutchCargo
      10:07 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Yeah. There is plenty of stuff to criticize Matt about without resorting to insults about appearance.

• J-Dub421
      10:08 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

If looks are so important, how did Mitch McConnell get elected in the first place? Dude is hideous.

• He is a bit…portly…in that pic, but are you saying McConnell looks like a dashing Hollywood star? Haha. Even Rush Limbaugh calls him The Turtle.

• I’m sure he lost some weight for his recent wedding & requisite photos in NYC. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Realme is a dedicated Matt critic…ha ha, poor Matt.

• Realme
      10:15 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I just can’t help myself sometimes. Okay, most of the time.

• And yet you listen. 😉
      JK!

I have my criticisms, but overall he runs a fun show & site. He’s funny (when not telling us why we shouldn’t like the music we like), and I like having a talk show that is full-on UK homer & humorous!

• Realme
      10:31 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Yes, I remain addicted to the show. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

This is one of the days I can actually listen to the show. But I’m kind of glad I don’t always have a chance to listen. A little bit of Matt goes a long way for me.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Proud of the ladies last night; big win on the road against a national championship program. Rhyne was big in the 1st half; Maci had an off night but hit a big three in the 4th qtr; Taylor driving to the bucket in the 4th…wow.
    The seniors stuck with us through some tough times; going to miss them. They remind me of the guys that persevered through the dark days of 89-90.

• J-Dub421
      10:07 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Beating South Carolina is a huge win. Great job Cats!

• Do Mitchell and the SC coach still have it in for each other?

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know; but, that is one fiery lady…she went berserk on one call, even tho’ they got the calls all night. I thought they had pitched a tent at the foul line in the 2nd half.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:06 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Happy Friday, Everybody!

4. kybred1
    10:15 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Drew Auburn did the same thing last year. Started out with a boom and then after the FBI news broke they were disappointing and went downhill. The Bruce Pearl effect!

5. ClutchCargo
    10:16 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Doing away with one and done will eventually work itself out, Matt. This a relatively new thing, and NCAA basketball was just fine before it ever came along. If the NBA owners don’t want to draft HS players, then don’t draft HS players.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Yep, the competition will still be there, and people will still follow and support their college teams, no matter whom is on the roster.
      There will still be the Grant Williams’, Admiral Schofields, and Reid Travis’s. And a few Steph Currys in the college game.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I don’t doubt there will be an adjustment period of a few years, where way too many kids try to go straight to the NBA and a lot of them don’t make it. Their purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others. 🙂 That’s what I meant by working itself out.

• I was a bit disappointed that Boogie’s remarks seem to indicate that he maybe thinks having to play college was an NCAA rule and not an NBA one. I may be wrong, but I think one of the catalysts for the rule was when Kwame Brown got drafted out of HS as a big superstar and was a bust. They’re not all Kobe, Lebron, and Garnett (or Moses Malone going back a few years).

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t really take it that way, cg. It seemed to me that he was complaining that the NCAA is just taking advantage of the NBA rule and exploiting the kids who have to wait a year to make their money. That point can be debated, but I think that’s what he was trying to say.

• Oh, and Adam Silver saying one and done isn’t good for the college game? LOL! Pleeeeeease. We know he’s just wishing the ESPN Zion hype machine was an NBA one instead of an NCAA/Duke one with the requisite jersey and *cough cough* SHOE sales.

• Realme
      10:36 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, Boogie had a couple details twisted up, but I got his main complaint as the NCAA is exploiting them while they’re here. They make millions for the schools and the NCAA, but they get nothing extra for their time here, just the same amount as a non-playing walk on who doesn’t make any money for the program receives.

• Maybe I took it the wrong way, but he still could have played overseas instead of coming to UK. At least all the experts act like all these top 10 or 20 guys or so could do that.

Having said that, I have no problem paying college players. The well documented problem is what about the non-revenue sports and such. Some say “Only pay the revenue generators” and I don’t disagree, but the PC crowd won’t let that happen, so that’s a non-starter.

• Realme
      10:45 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I don’t advocate the schools paying players more than the stipend that everyone gets. But allow them all to make money off their own likeness and name and let the market decide.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Let the market decide who gets paid and how much. If people are willing to pay them to promote their products or sign things, or buy jerseys with their names on the back, then let that happen.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Schools will still cheat by paying more than the agreed upon amount, so that simply wouldn’t work. Also, the small schools would be at more of a disadvantage.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Just let the popular money generators like say, Benny Snell, get money for their autographs, or even endorsements. Everyone wanted that whizzing mouthpiece he had, let him endorse it and get a cut of the sales.

6. Realme
    10:17 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Changing the one and done is not going to turn basketball into baseball. I’m sure it would drop off due to all the people who only show up for the superstar hype, but plenty of fans love the sport either way.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Agree. And I honestly don’t know any fans who jumped on board just to watch one and done superstars. Sure, those players resulted in instant success when Cal arrived, but winning games is what drives the interest, imo.

• Realme
      10:27 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Yes! Games will still be played, won and lost.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t just Kwame Brown who was a bust, there were a lot of young players who were busts, which is why the NBA implemented the one-and-done rule in the first place.

• rickwhitetx
      11:11 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

The first couple or three years that the rule is changed there may be 100 high school players that think they are good enough and try to go straight to the NBA draft. I hope (not expecting it) that the NCAA creates a path for those kids that are wrong about their draft status to get into college. I also hope that these kids that think they’re going straight to the NBA don’t get lax in high school and ruin any chance of college.

7. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:20 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Listened to the Decourcy before KSR, he was saying that playing for duke made him millions of dollars, like playing for Kentucky or some other top program wouldn’t have had the same effect.

• Realme
      10:26 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I heard the tail end of that. I think he said only 100 people would have known who he was before college. That’s insane, he was very well known from high school. Decourcy has a lot of opinions which he supports with lots more of his own opinions and assumptions.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:33 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Zion was a Youtube sensation well before the recruiting process even started.

• 100 ppl. Maybe it was hyperbole, like “I was as big as a house before I lost a ton of weight”.

• Realme
      10:46 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I’m sure it was hyperbole, but it still shows he is out of touch to think Zion wasn’t a big deal before Duke.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:38 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Dammit, Matt! Why did you have to put the KSR curse on Herro’s ft shooting??

9. Hollenbeck was early 70s.

10. Realme
    10:51 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

So what do we think happened to Jemarl’s shooting ability?

• I don’t know but I hope he and/or Herro improve in that area or we won’t win #9 IMO. See WVU, UCONN (both times), UNCheat (Monk going cold until the last minute), Wisky (booker red hot early in the season but stone cold in March), KSU, etc.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Herro’s only problem is he tends to force up bad shots at times. Baker, I think, just isn’t great at getting his own shot. He kinda needs to have some plays run to get him open.

11. ClutchCargo
    10:51 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Baker is definitely one of the best on the team at being in position defensively. I didn’t know he was going to be so solid in that aspect.

12. ClutchCargo
    10:58 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

There are too many other awesome summer Olympic sports to watch to waste time on 3 on 3 basketball.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Swimming!!!

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Give me swimming and track & field and I’m good.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I watch all the swimming, tennis, track and field, and gymnastics, but will also watch random sports and enjoy them. Stuff like fencing, the equestrian sports, rowing…

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Actually, who am I kidding. I love the equestrian sports because I rode for years. Careening around a jump course on an 1000+ pound animal is for crazy people. It’s so fun though. You just have to accept that you could die or be seriously injured at any time.

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

I wish I could watch more of the overlooked sports that they rarely show on TV. I could totally get into biathlon for the winter Olympics.

13. Realme
    11:29 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

YES BRAD! KILT!

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am February 22, 2019 Permalink

Brad in a kilt would be hilarious.