KSR Show Thread 2/21: Reid’s knee, Zion’s knee, and the path to a 1-seed

Good morning, friends. Wild night in college basketball, right? Tune in to KSR as the gang discusses the news about Reid Travis’ knee, what it means for Kentucky moving forward, and Zion Williamson’s knee sprain after blowing out his shoe in the Duke vs. North Carolina game.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

126 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/21: Reid’s knee, Zion’s knee, and the path to a 1-seed

1. 4everUKblue
    9:58 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I saw where runnin put the smackdown on Mashburn, that was so well done.

10:05 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

He’ll be back, terrible as ever, after he has had a chance to find some “facts” to support his agenda. But enough about that, we have to hope EJ and Nick can step up for the next couple of weeks. Maybe knowing they have to do it, and failure isn’t an option, will be good for them.

• 4ever, at some point let sleeping dogs lie man.

• Matt10
      10:16 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Amen Chris. Obsession doesnโ€™t even come close. To me all the constant whining about a couple posters is far worse than the offending comments.

• Realme
      10:17 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

It’s weird, in some ways trolling the trolls is the Lord’s work. But it also encourages them to keep being idiots for the attention.

• I have no problem at all with taking the trolls to task when they’re posting nonsense, but the constant trolling of them before they’ve posted anything is getting a little old. It just encourages them to post more. Just something to think about.

• 4everUKblue
      10:18 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Sorry Matt, I don’t participate but I couldn’t disagree with you more.

• 4everUKblue
      10:21 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Actually I do participate and I still disagree with Matt, but I do agree with CG.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:28 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I will unashamedly pre-troll them immediately after a win but I shouldn’t be doing it otherwise and shall stand down.

10:33 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

The idiots will post regardless. Trashburn was still whining after we walloped Vandy. He complained after we beat Tennessee. Some of these people are just obnoxious and miserable and live only to try to spread their misery to others. There is no pleasing them and they are incapable of being happy.

10:35 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I do believe in giving an a-hole a chance to stop being an a-hole. So at some point, the “proactive trolling” becomes counterproductive.

• I will say this. When we struggle BigolBlue is all over the comment section on the Live Blog post. Lately…not so much.

However, I haven’t seen him post much lately anyway, so he may have ditched that screen name totally for one of his others. ๐Ÿ™‚

10:55 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Just like flipping on a light switch send the roaches scurrying, the light from a UK victory sends the trolls back into the dark recesses of the internet.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:07 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I wonder if Zion’s cut was violent enough for Jimmy Dykes?

10:10 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

It was violent enough to cut through his shoe….

• 4everUKblue
      10:13 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Pippin’s advice to Zion may be sounding more like a good idea.

10:24 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I love how Zion just did the same thing Reid did the day before (minus the shoe blow out), and no one other than UK fans cared about Reid, but everyone’s freaking out about Zion.

10:31 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Well, in all fairness, Zion is a once in a decade superstar, the #1 pick, the game was perhaps the biggest regular season game of the year in front of the former POTUS, and you had the whole freaky Nike blowout deal, so I can see how it blew up in the media. It could have major implications for the one-and-done rule too.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

JD, the ESPN “greatest rivalry in sports” took a back seat to LSU vs Florida. I wanted to take a drink every time I heard that greatest rivalry thing; but, I didn’t want to get stinking, falling-down, crap-faced inebriated.
      Besides, I usually drink coffee for the ball games…gotta stay extra sharp to out analyze Bilas.

10:34 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

True, but same exact injury, and Zion will be fine.

10:39 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I have to disagree a little, rg. You don’t need to stay all that sharp to out-analyze Bilas. You just have to remember that Duke/UNC is all that matters in college basketball, and base all your opinions on that.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

When you’re right, you’re right Clutch, ha ha.

3. J-Dub421
    10:10 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

REID IS OKAY!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so happy!

• Realme
      10:12 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Same. He deserves to finish college in the final four. ๐Ÿ™‚

10:13 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

And it seems that the two week thing is just Cal being cautious. That gives me hope that he can come back 100% soon.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Wow, that is a terrible story about the accident Boeheim was involved in. Prayers to all involved. Devastating to the family of the pedestrian, and that kind of thing deeply affects the person driving too.

• 4everUKblue
      10:12 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

A person could never get over that.

• Yep, awful.

10:20 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I remember driving from E’town to Louisville on I-65 back in the early 90’s and coming up on an apparent accident heading down the hill out of E’town. There were no cops or ambulances on the scene yet, but an old man’s car had broken down and he had attempted to walk across the road where someone on the southbound side had pulled over to help. On the road we saw a pair of shoes, then a pair of pants, then a lower leg, then the rest of the guy halfway through the windshield of a car. That disturbs me to this day when I think about it, and I can’t imagine being the people directly involved.

• Realme
      10:23 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I still can’t think about when I saw someone hit a cat a couple years ago. Can’t imagine that kind of scenario.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Boeheim is the 2nd winningest active coach in men’s college ball. This was just a terrible tragedy. Prayers for all involved.
      A good HS friend was killed the same way, except it was on a 2 lane country road; his car had stalled, and he was standing by the car when another motorist came around a curve and hit him.

10:26 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ve seen all kinds of horrific things since I do car accident litigation. Don’t ride motorcycles, just sayin.

10:28 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Guy that I worked with back in the 90’s hit and killed someone who was standing in the striped area near the merging lanes onto I65. He was looking over his shoulder for traffic as he merged and never saw him. He was deeply affected by it and it took him a very long time to get back to a sense of normalcy. Felt really bad for him.

5. Realme
    10:14 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I was so furious at Matt for making his “update” a Periscope, and then Ryan with his stupid crying emoji.

• 4everUKblue
      10:15 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Same here.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:19 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

In the history of modern media disasters, yesterday’s Periscope broke new ground.

10:21 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

He almost never periscopes either. What was the point? Just post an update or send a tweet.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:30 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Periscope was passe’ when it came out.

10:42 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I kind of did an eye roll when I saw the Periscope update thing. But then I figured I would just wait a bit and find out like most everyone else.

6. Runnin, if you’re here, nice “Billy Jack” reference yesterday that apparently only I got. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I saw that comment late.

7. Realme
    10:21 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I bet we can play better without Reid than they could without Zion.

10:29 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

We still won our game.

• unbridled
      10:47 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

• JTHinton
      12:02 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Jdub, to be fair, we were playing Mizzou… though I agree that weโ€™re better than Duke without Reid than they are without Zion.

8. Realme
    10:24 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t understand these guys playing in brand new shoes anyways. Don’t they want to break them in?

• trumpetguy
      4:00 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Thought the same thing. Not from an injury standpoint, but BLISTERS. Stiff brand new shoes can bite you….

9. Realme
    10:30 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Ugh, make Matt stop! It would not have ruined the sport if Zion had an acl tear. And he was already going to get a ton of money. More because he broke a shoe? That’s stupid.

10:38 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Blake Griffin got injured and was still drafted #1 and has had a good career, same with Embiid (drafted #3), Julius Randle (drafted #6), and I’m sure there are others. Injuries are not the career enders that they used to be. Medicine has advanced a lot in the last 20 years.

• “More because he broke a shoe? Thatโ€™s stupid.”

I didn’t want to be the first to post that because I thought maybe Matt’s brilliance was going over my head and I would look stupid. Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I saw yesterday, there were 3-4 NBA players having MRI’s yesterday…and a NY Mets player. I’m thinking, wow this is an epidemic.

10:45 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I guess Matt feels like he has to toe the ESPN party line since he kind of has a foot in the door with them. Sad, really.

• “Toe” the line? “Foot” in the door? I see what you did there! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Realme
      10:51 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Clutch! A great point and a double pun. Comment of the day.

10:53 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Actually, I didn’t even intend to do that. Being a smartass just comes naturally for me. Ha!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:33 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Clutch are you saying Matt is a Foot Fighter?

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Matt is a food fighter.

10. kuhlkat
    10:38 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Matt goes overboard on his Zion praise. He loves to hype everything up. And he is a drama queen.

11. RexRox
    10:41 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

The announcers last night (Bilas included) said they had never seen anything a shoe ‘blow out’ like that before but I remember a few years ago something similar happening to Manu Ginobili. It was also a Nike shoe.

• I saw on Twitter (if you go to #nikefail) where some everyday folks are posting pics of Nikes falling apart. One was a high school wrestler, another a runner I think. There may be more, but that’s 2 I saw.

Anecdotal to be sure, but still, for the prices they charge? Give me my Walmart Buddies! Which I really do wear for tennis shoes BTW.

I don’t pay those over inflated prices on athletic shoes. If I actually exercised I guess I would have to pay a little more. Ha!

10:51 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I ditched Nike for running shows many years ago. New Balance for me!

11:13 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Any major manufacturer like Nike is going to have products fail. I’m sure Under Armor and Adidas have had shoes break too, but Nike is the big dog so it’s a bigger deal.

12. runningunnin.454
    10:43 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I think the refs in the Georgia game over reacted considering the effect on the game. Many times I have seen the crowd throwing things on the floor, and the refs get the AD to address the crowd on the loud speaker.

10:47 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Crean immediately went and took the mic and told people not to throw things on the court. I’ll give him props for that. I enjoy the schadenfreude of Georgia fans costing their team a win.

10:50 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I remember as a student back in the 80’s when we had a big home game against UT (the game Rex sent to OT with a finger roll over their center in the last seconds of regulation) some genius had the idea to pass out oranges to the crowd. Of course a few of those ended up being thrown, but I think the worst that happened was someone got on the PA and told people to knock it off.

10:50 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Better to throw stuffed animals than to throw coins and batteries like they do in Morgantown and Bloomington.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

The IU fans were chastised by their AD for a vulgar chant aimed at a Purdue player.
      Worst I’ve seen is when Steve Kerr played for Arizona; his father was killed by gunmen in Beirut. Arizona State fans chanted PLO PLO during their game.

• I heard some were yelling “Where’s your dad?” too.

11:17 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

WVA fans threw a full water bottle at John Wall’s head. Duke fans once chanted orphan at an opposing player whose parents had died in a car accident.

11:39 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

It’s one thing to chant funny stuff at an opposing player to try to get under their skin. But talking about something tragic in their life crosses the line.

11:47 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Ugh! People. They’re the worst.

13. J-Dub421
    10:44 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t a teddy-bear Matt, it was a stuffed bulldog.

10:49 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Leave it to Matt to not know his animals.

• Realme
      10:52 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Is a bear a feline? A bulldog, that’s not a canine, right?

10:56 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, now Matt is getting irate at being called out for it! ๐Ÿ˜€

• I didn’t hear that part yesterday. What was it? MJ didn’t know coyotes are canines? What did he think they were? Bovines?

• Realme
      11:21 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

He and Drew both were certain a coyote wasn’t a canine. And Ryan has them down as homo sapiens, but that’s a whole other thing… ๐Ÿ™‚

• CATandMONKEY
      11:29 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Ursine?

14. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

The guys talking about the wooly johnson shot in the UNC locker room after the game. I never could understand the dudes who parade around the locker rooms with Big Jim and the Twins hanging out everywhere. Grab a towel, dude! I don’t want to see your junk!

• unbridled
      10:58 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

No one should be in the locker room that isnโ€™t immediately affiliated with the team.

11:21 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Ha! My husband always complains about all the old dudes walking around the gym locker room naked. Women do not do this.

11:28 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, that takes a severe lack of self-awareness to go around like that. Or they are exhibitionists. Either way, it’s awkward.

11:31 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Those old dudes probably need one of these:

15. kybred1
    10:54 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

So Duke drummed us and then we beat the Tarheels in a neutral sight? Then UNC dominated those boys at home last night. I like our chances now more than ever!

• unbridled
      10:57 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

The biggest difference from the first game to current is that fact that UK now plays elite defense. The first game of the year, uk defense was nonexistent

10:58 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

As has been said many times, Duke played their best game of the year against us, and we played our worst. Perfect storm. We may or may not win a rematch, but I would bet money that we won’t get blown out.

11:00 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

And dook plays nonexistent defense when Zion is not in there to protect the rim. Imagine if we had a rematch and Zion fouled out. Could we turn the tables on them and blow them out like UNCheat did? That would be rich!

16. unbridled
    10:55 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I think Travis comes back for the UT game.

12:01 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Hope you’re right!

17. RealCatsFan
    10:58 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Caller is thinking of Derek Anderson – he was a transfer from (I think) Ohio St.

18. KyKev
    11:01 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

A lot of debate about Zion & him still playing. Heard he has an $8mil insurance policy that pays if he’s picked after 16 in this year’s draft. If true, play. I want no Duke excuses!

11:08 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I want him to play and for them to get knocked out in the second round (again) by the likes of LeHigh or Mercer. Then maybe the narrative that K is the all time greatest coach who ever lived will die down.

• I don’t see the Lehigh or Mercer thing happening. Now maybe a hot Buffalo or Nevada. RG would have to chime in though. I haven’t seen those teams, and he watches a lot of bball and knows Xs and Os better than moi.

BTW, what about these west coast games that come on at 11 eastern? Nevada was in that time slot last night. Whoo. That’s 10 here, but still too late for me unless I’m staying up listening to post-game.

11:23 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Buffalo or some team like them could have a shot. Duke overlooks teams like them, and they shoot well. It would have to be a good three point shooting team to have a legit shot at them.

11:24 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I definitely think it will take an actual good team to knock them out of the tournament this year. They just have too many weapons for a mid-major to get lucky. But a good team that can defend and take care of the ball could do it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Chris, I’m betting on Lehigh, Wofford, and South Dakota State; they are 1,2, and 3 in 3 point shooting nationally.
      I really don’t think it will happen, though. The title is Dook’s to lose; but, it would certainly be embarrassing for Coach K if they don’t win it.

11:28 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Could LSU knock them off? I think they’d have a chance.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s possible, they’re really athletic. Tremont Waters would have to play better than he did last night.

11:34 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Excellent PG and plenty of athleticism. Absolutely.

19. Realme
    11:09 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Wow, now Matt saying ESPN isn’t overdoing the Zion / Duke love. Sell. Out.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

People posting to b!tch about Matt talking about Obama in three, two, one…

• unbridled
      11:13 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Obama is a historic embarrassment. No need to comment.

• Hey, he spotted the broken shoe before anyone else! ha

11:27 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Welp, I guess I called that one! ๐Ÿ˜€

• unbridled
      11:31 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

No one is complaining. Just statin the facts.

11:35 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

We seem to be in the midst of a string of embarrassments in the WH the last decade or two. ’nuff said.

• TWillrocks
      11:49 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Bingo RealCats!

21. secrick
    11:21 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I believe North Carolina would still have beaten Duke with Zion. They played great. Dukes point guard is going to be there down fall. He’s not that good.

11:29 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

rick, you may be right, but Zion would have limited UNC’s penetration into the lane. They were blowing by Jones and scoring at will. I think Zion would have altered a lot of the shots put up by the Drew Franklin Doppleganger. I think 3-point shooting will be Duke’s downfall if they stumble, much like it was for us in 2010. (sob, sniff)

• unbridled
      11:35 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I agree secrick. North Carolina was shooting lights out. Pukes defense is very suspect

• unbridled
      11:44 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

….even with Zion.

22. Realme
    11:31 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

That was my comment he read. I don’t care at all that we aren’t “the show”. I’m sure 2015 was miserable for everyone else. I’m just tired of ESPN sighing in adoration every time Zion breathes. We get it, he’s incredible. But saying that 12 times during a non-ACC game is annoying.

23. ClutchCargo
    11:32 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Count K gets a ton of credit for being classy when his team wins, but none of the blame for being a jerk when they lose.

11:36 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep, it’s always easy to act classy when things are going your way. The true test of character is how you act when things are not so rosy.

• secrick
      11:36 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Going to lose 2 in a row, Syracuse will beat them, playing for their Coach.

11:41 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

It could have been that ULoL was just that bad, but ‘Cuse looked pretty good last night. The tall goofy looking white kid was a thorn in UL’s side.

11:44 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Remember when K scolded Brooks after Oregon beat them in the tournament a few years ago then lied about it? Everyone ignores that. Not to mention if one of our players tripped people like Grayson Allen there would have been a huge uproar. K didn’t even discipline Allen for the first two, then tried to defend him after the third. Public outrage finally forced K to suspend him for one whole game.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Wonder if Coach K will let Zion sit out for even one game? Don’t know how serious it is; but, it was odd they took his Mom to the locker room to be with him.

11:45 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

‘Cuse is always just scrappy and athletic enough to cause problems, plus they are great at imposing their style of play.

12:00 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

The way this dook team shoots from outside, the zone may be their worst nightmare. Wish we had a good one to fall back on from time to time.

24. byzr
    1:50 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Glad to hear Reeds knee isnt season ending. id bet hes back before/for Tennessee.