KSR Show Thread 2/21: LIVE from The Ketch

It’s Friday and Kentucky Sports Radio is on the road. Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin are at one of their favorite remotes, The Ketch Seafood Grill, located at 2012 Regency Road just off Southland Drive. They will be giving away tickets to the Kentucky-Florida game and break down the blockbuster matchup at Rupp Arena.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

66 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/21: LIVE from The Ketch

1. runningunnin.454
    9:58 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Last night went to see an 8th grade kid playing varsity basketball; put up 40 points. Ranked as high as 2nd SG in the ’24 class behind a kid from Canada, and ranked 6th by coast2coast preps. Half expected a ball hog; but, nope, played some PG, shared the ball, and hit the open man. They threw every defense at him, zone, man-to-man, and box and one.
    Not really athletic; but, high basketball IQ and uses the angles well.
    He’s 6’0″; hopefully has a 3-4″ growth spurt but he has time, only 14.
    Could Kelly Coleman’s 4,337 point record be in jeopardy.

10:12 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

What’s his name?

10:18 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Travis Perry. KSR had an article about him a week or so ago. Avg 21 pts/game as a 7th grader. Last I checked averaging 26 this year. Scored 26 against Madisonville North Hopkins, a top 5 ranked Ky team.

• Bluehender
      12:51 pm February 21, 2020 Permalink

rg he went for 39 against Union County last Friday in Morganfield. I wanted to go but it was Valentines Day…so I didn’t. Mrs Bluehender didn’t think it was romantic enough..

5:08 pm February 21, 2020 Permalink

Missed your reply this morning; women, huh? I had to go by myself last night; of course, it wasn’t Valentines Day though.
      Biggest thing I noticed was the kid’s composure; watch him play, and you would think he’s a senior…or a freshman in college.
      I would really like to get him…and the Sheppard kid, too.

• Bluehender
      5:21 pm February 21, 2020 Permalink

I hope we get them too rg..yes my reply was late as I was busy this morning and unable to check the comments.

2. Realme
    10:30 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

This website… smh

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I have to turn off my adblocker to see the comment section. The ads are getting bigger and more intrusive all the time.

10:34 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Yep, maybe get Mtn Dew off of it. Getting some error code.

3. Realme
    10:32 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Still trying to find one person besides KSR guys being paid by them to say the Ketch is good. I want to try it, but my friends and spouse refuse to go with me.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Do they not like seafood? If the concern is that the seafood won’t be fresh, I can put that fear to rest. Louisville is a major shipping hub and the main air hub for UPS. We get the freshest seafood that’s not directly on a coast. (I know you’re in Lexington, but it’s only and hour drive from Louisville so you should also be able to easily get fresh seafood.)

10:43 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t ask non-seafood people to go with me, it’s that everyone I know that has eaten there says it isn’t good.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

It is possible to get really fresh seafood in KY (there is a seafood shop in E’town that has a fishing boat at Dauphin Island, AL and drives it up multiple times per week), but there are also plenty of seafood places that just use the same old frozen stuff you can find anywhere. Ketch could be one of them. The KSR guys endorsing anything edible is not very persuasive to me. lol

10:45 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Exactly Clutch. I figure it’s like Joe B’s. A local place that people go to because it’s there, but not actually good food (except for that breadstick).

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Ah, I’d trust word of mouth on that one then.

4. J-Dub421
    10:34 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I disagree that the one-time transfer rule will hurt our football team. We’re good now and they guys who come here seem to really want to be here and have bought it to what Stoops and company are selling. I think we’ll get more transfers in than out now. Go Cats.

10:37 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I look at getting guys to be patient and stay ready for their chance as the coaching staff’s problem. If someone wants to Kahlil out of here, then they probably weren’t going to do much here anyways.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Agreed, and no one is a one and done football player anyway, so that’s moot there. (I still just want to slap Kahlil’s family for being stupid and giving him bad advice.)

10:40 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

It will hurt smaller schools more.

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I feel bad for the smaller schools that find diamonds in the rough and develop those guys to the point that they get noticed and scooped up by the bigger schools. That could have been us just a few years ago.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

This is also why it’s critical to have somebody like Vince Marrow who really builds relationships with these kids. It’s not like we are tricking them into coming here or anything.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

In basketball, if a guy transfers from UK over playing time… Well, they probably weren’t getting playing time for a reason. Other than that, we’re Kentucky and we have Coach Cal, so we’ll take whatever players we want (within reason). That’s pretty much how it’s always been though, so tough luck to everyone else.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:43 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

When we miss shots, we’re not very good. Now that’s the in-depth analysis I appreciate.

10:46 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Looking at all the analytics, you might be right, lol.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

That’s almost as astute as the “well, it would have been a great play call if it had worked” analysis our former OC used to give us.

11:08 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of intelligent analysis, apparently LG&E wants us to know that if it’s cold outside, and we have the heat on… we should make sure our doors are closed.

11:12 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Damn, I better go check.

6. J-Dub421
    10:45 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

We missed shots in the first half against LSU because we were too keyed up. The guys seemed like they were pressing too much, and almost all of our misses were long (off the back of the rim). Once we settled in, the shots started to fall.

10:47 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

If we’re shooting long, we’ll be okay…missing short is a problem.

• CrystalBall
      10:59 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

runningunnin454. Rupp used to say missing them short was the worst. Meant you weren’t ready to play.

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Those floaters in the lane that we never seem to miss, all missed early on. We looked shocked that they weren’t going in. I know I was.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

The pace seemed a little frenetic, for us and LSU. The difference was that we forced LSU into taking bad shots most of the game with our defense. We had better ball movement in the second half, but seemed less rushed and more controlled.

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Regarding fkoaters not going in – why doesn’t anyone use the backboard anymore? It it not cool?

11:16 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

They should use the backboard. Bill Walton always used the board, even from 10-15 feet. Iowa has a big guy, Garza, that uses the board well. I guess it’s not cool.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I was watching the Oregon / Arizona St game last night, and Walton and Pasch were doing the game. They brought a comedian on there with them who was doing a pretty good Walton impersonation. I was cracking up. I know Walton drives a lot of you up a wall, but I think he is hilarious. At least when he is not calling a UK game, that is.

11:27 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

CB, that’s right, I do recall Rupp saying that.

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Walton is entertaining if I don’t really care about the game. Which, in the case of nearly all Pac-12 games, it’s kind of like that for me. So maybe he’s not so bad after all. 🙂

11:38 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s funny. For about 5 minutes, not an entire game of his nonsense.

7. J-Dub421
    10:57 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

EJ can guard Kerry Blackshear.

11:10 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

If EJ doesn’t get hit with the touch fouls. I watch Azubuike at Kansas; and, he “bumps” guys off him 3-4 times moving to the rim, initiating the contact, and he never gets called for it…he knocks the defender back 2-3 feet, and that’s an offensive foul.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

We get called for a ridiculous amount of touch fouls.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Kind of like Zion last year, rg.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

How much does Zion weigh? Like 285 lbs? I forget because I haven’t heard it from an announcer for at least a couple of days.

11:31 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Yep, you push a guy back 2-3 feet to get your shot, and that’s not a foul? Ridiculous.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

As long as you don’t try to hit the guy with a chair, it’s all good at Kansas. 😉

11:45 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

They get paid well, too.

8. Realme
    11:16 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Well, great to know that my family member who gets better help from weed for his depression than any drug a Dr. has ever prescribed will not be helped by that idiotic bill at all. There is no reason for marijuana to be criminal. Alcohol does so much more harm.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Thousands of people die from alcohol every year. Meanwhile it’s impossible to overdose on marijuana. You’d have to ingest or smoke your bodyweight in weed to OD. You’d never get close before passing out and sleeping it off.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

But actually smoking weed is NOT good for you. The unfiltered smoke and carcinogens are actually worse than smoking cigarettes. Ingesting it in other ways is much safer.

11:31 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Of course our legislators think they are the experts on what it should be used for. And edibles? Really? A gummy bear is medicine, a vape oil isn’t? Why in the world is it not like any medication? Your Dr. should be able to decide if you need it and why, and it should be dispensed like any pharmaceutical. So stupid to over complicate it. Of course I just think it should be legal, but I am infuriated that they are close to making me worry less about him getting arrested for something that helps him be a human, and they come out with this idiocy.

11:33 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

RCF there is vaping, and there is smoking via a bong so that the water helps filter. And it’s not as bad as cigarettes because you don’t smoke “a pack a day” of weed.

11:37 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Also, like with CBD… If you take it in via your digestive system, your liver has to filter it out like any medication, so that’s a factor too, for a regular user.

11:40 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I have never smoked weed in my life, for the record. 🙂

11:44 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I never inhaled.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Smoking anything is bad, but this isn’t the 60’s. There are edibles, tonics, sodas, vaping, even dermal patches now that can deliver marijuana. (A friend showed my a website for a place in Vegas, and we were laughing and shocked at the variety of products available.)

• 4everUKBlue
      11:48 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Years ago when I worked the general assembly and was around the house floor every day I heard that Bobby Richardson, who was speaker of the house, used pot for his glaucoma. He always had a pipe in his mouth and rumors were that he mixed the pot with his tobacco and smoked it while acting as speaker. Not saying it’s true, but that rumor was rampant.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I would put up a Nick Richards yard sign way before I would put one up for any of the clowns who are running for office.

11:34 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

#PickNick

11:40 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I actually have an old “I like Ike” button from the ’50’s.
      I like Nick has a nice ring to it, too.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Same, RCF. I may write-in Pedro and call it a day when I go to vote.

11:47 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

Might vote for that dog mayor in Minnesota, if he is still with us.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

rg, buddy of mine showed up with an old Ford station wagon that he found out west that still had an “I Like Ike” bumper sticker on it.

My vote this year will be for The Dude Lebowski. This aggression will not stand, man.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

I’m one of the UK fans who hate UNCheat much more than I do University-6. UNCheat is a threat to catch us in the number of titles, and they are unapologetic cheaters who do not get punished because, like dook and Kansas, they are golden calves of the NCAA.

11. secrick
    11:58 am February 21, 2020 Permalink

J-DUB, What was the name of that website? Just kidding.

12:00 pm February 21, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha!

• J-Dub421
      12:09 pm February 21, 2020 Permalink

I don’t remember. You can probably just google shops in Vegas. They don’t ship out of state though.