KSR Show Thread, 2/20: Tune in to KSR radio now!

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Ryan Lemond is back in his regular seat for two hours alongside Matt Jones and producer Shannon The Dude. They’ll talk about the latest happenings in Big Blue Nation plus whatever else comes up throughout the show. Go Cats.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

93 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 2/20: Tune in to KSR radio now!

1. RealCatsFan
    9:56 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Dookies lost!! Yay!! I heard Kount K executed the blow-by for the end-of-game handshake. Stay Klassy, Kount K!

• runningunnin.454
      9:59 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Coach K wins, he is the insincere glad-hander; if he loses, he is a petulant child.

• Realme
      10:04 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Could he have pouted any harder? Tell the opposing coach congratulations, you big baby!

10:04 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Truth be told, I much prefer the sore loser K. At least he is being honest when that happens. And that beatdown was so satisfying to watch. The score is one thing, but the dookies had zero fight in them and just looked they wanted it to be over with. Strange look in February.

• J-Dub421
      10:06 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

• Realme
      10:06 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Again, Duke gets to have their worse than Evansville loss erased from sports memory, but UK has not lost to anyone by double digits. I like my team!

• J-Dub421
      10:07 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Also, a thank you to Georgia for beating Auburn last night. We now have a 2 game cushion at the top of the SEC.

10:08 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

We had better stop laughing at dook before CahillsCrossing crawls out of the crocodile-infested waters to defend Count K and tell us how embarrassing we are.

10:10 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

That was nice for our SEC hopes. We may need that cushion in these last few games, but at least we control our own destiny.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:11 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

That chant about “You’ll be working for us someday” is EVERY egghead school’s chant. I’ve heard that Vandy fans do it, and Mike Greenburg said they chanted it when he was a student at Northwestern.

• J-Dub421
      10:12 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Duke didn’t just lose, they got taken to the woodshed.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

BTW, what was with that “Olde” English lettering on their jerseys? Was that a throwback, or a new design? I liked it, and I hate to admit it since it was the Dookies.

10:16 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I thought olde English lettering was a thing for University-6.

10:16 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you, cg. I like the look of those uni’s, and they went back to the old school dark blue. I felt dirty afterwards, but at least they got their asses kicked to snap me out of it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I thought maybe it was a throwback but I wasn’t sure. I guess that was the shade of blue they wore when we beat them for the natty in 78 (but they didn’t wear Ye Olde English):

• 4everUKBlue
      10:23 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Cahill doesn’t have the balls to show up here, he’s more of the drop some BS and run kinda guy.

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I wonder what all the chumps who hate Cal think of UNC this season? What’s Ole’ Roy’s excuse? In 2013 we had lost 7 players out of our 8 player rotation from the 2012 title team, including our entire starting 5. We still didn’t have a losing record, even though we lost our star player to injury part way through the season.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha I’m sure Matt will want to talk about that unorganized NBC debate last night. Hilarious, Senators and Mayors jumping up and down, waving their arms like first graders needing to take a leak.

• Realme
      10:12 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm. Not sorry I missed that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:15 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t see it, but watching the clips it was awesome entertainment value to see Warren come out bare-knuckled brawling right at the opening bell. I don’t have any more use for her than Bloomey, but it was like watching MMA.

10:17 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Looks like another sad state of affairs for the coming election cycle. Can SOMEONE please come up with a decent candidate, from either side? Reminder to myself why I registered as an independent.

• Realme
      10:21 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Same RCF. As much as the left team screams about the evils of rich white men, from what Matt said yesterday, it sounded like the Dems will be picking from 3 rich white men. And the other team? Just no.

10:31 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. When we give ourselves the two options we had the last Presidential election, we deserve what we end up with.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I like to make fun of Tom Crean because he is pretty much of a doofus, but I have heard from several sources that he is actually a genuinely good human being, albeit a bit weird. Did anyone see the shot of him sticking out his tongue last night? He did BBN a huge favor taking down BBQ Brucie.

10:20 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

And Brucie was sweating right through that suit coat last night… He and Archie Miller should have a “sweat-off”.

• Realme
      10:24 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I just feel like he is too close to the line between doofus and creep. Maybe if I didn’t have a scene of him mouth smooching his grown son burned into my brain.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:26 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Can you imagine Bruce Pearl in a sauna? Oh sorry, I just put that image in your brains.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I heard Pearl on a Bham talk show that is carried here (Cole Cubelic is one of the 3 hosts). They were talking to him about the sweat and he has a sense of humor about it. He was joking about his dry-cleaning bill, and another thing he said was “Who decided that basketball coaches should wear suits?” I thought he must not have noticed that Musselman and his coaches all wear golf shirts when they played them.

10:28 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

They both have a long way to go to take down the Sweaty Coach champ, Sean Miller.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I think Pearl is just as bad but he keeps his jacket on. Have you seen his jackets during a game? It’s gross and funny at the same time.

I don’t know how a dude keeps from passing out when he’s sweating like that and doesn’t take the jacket off. I would pass out from heat stroke.

10:53 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know, sweating straight through a suit coat takes some doing. I felt sorry for Crean getting that hug from him in the handshake line.

Maybe they SHOULD have that “sweat-off”. They could raise money for charity and have it sponsored by Right Guard.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:06 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

“Raise your hands, raise your haaaaaaands, if you’re Sure!”

11:06 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

It’s probably just that he had that white shirt on, without an undershirt. I would hate to see the contents of one of those plastic sweat suits worn by any of those guys!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:25 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Well, the Utah loss was equally bad; and Ohio State and Michigan State have tanked. UL lost two in a row, and that was our best win. But, we’ve been in every game; no 20 point losses.
    Will be pi$$ed if we get sent to Portland or Sacramento.

10:45 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

It would suck for the fans, but with the way this team rises to the challenge of playing in hostile environments, I think it might actually help us to play out west.

10:49 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I have come to expect an undesirable location. I’m not going to be attending the games anyway, so it makes little difference to me. And this team is a bunch of road warriors who get fired up being the bad guys.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:40 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Still say but for injuries, WCS and Alex, we would have two more titles. If Mashbum can opine, so can I.

10:45 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t see Marquette beating us with a healthy Bogans, either.

10:49 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Or Derek Anderson in 97…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:52 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Don’t remind me. Ugh. The list is lengthy. Mike Casey. I also don’t think Reid or PJ were 100% last year. Granted though, AU was without one of their best players and we couldn’t take advantage for some reason.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

All those are valid; I guess I was specifically talking about Cal. The trolls are always saying he can’t win without generational talent.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

If we’d had Alex in 2015, we’d have gone 40-0 and won the title.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Has Mashbum the Sith Lord lover ever stopped making excuses for Duke last season? They had the top 3 players in the class and still lost in the Elite Eight.

11:25 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

And they should have lost to the giant Taco dude, if the ref’s had any integrity whatsoever.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Whether it was the drugs that made him do it or something else, I will always believe that Res’s ill-timed tweet about Cal going to the Lakers got to the players and was a factor in us losing to UConn. We did not look like the same team we had been prior to that in the tournament.

7. spincr4hire
    10:41 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt needs to start cutting these idiots off that cant hold the phone to their mouths or that call on speaker phone

• Realme
      10:44 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

That, and the ones who won’t just talk. It’s like he has to beg some people to say what they called to say.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Seriously. If you just sat on hold for 30 minutes, you should be prepared and know what you want to say.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:44 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I get what Matt is saying about Cal maybe leaving if we win it in 2014, and I wouldn’t have wanted him to leave, but I would have taken #9 in a heartbeat. Just think: we would have been playing for # TEN since then.

10:47 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I really, REALLY want us to get to double digits, and particularly before the likes of UNCheat or dook get there.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

They haven’t said anything specific about Ryan Newman’s injuries. For them to erect the black curtains when they were extracting him sure sounded bad. He had to have been unconscious after the accident for them to do all that. Very happy to see that video of him walking out of there with his little girls. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, especially after what happened with Kobe.

11:10 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

“Like” to all the above.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

At the UL / Syracuse game at YUM last night, they had a moment of silence for the KIVA coaches and players who were killed last week. Very touching. One of them played volleyball for Louisville and the other one played for ‘Cuse…

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

One of them went to my high school. I didn’t really know her because she was a senior when I was a freshman. She was captain of the volleyball team, student body president, and very well liked.

11:35 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

So you either went to Assumption or PRP. They were both absolute stud athletes. I don’t even come close to measuring up to the level of game knowledge that they had. Big shoes to fill at KIVA, for sure.

They are burying both mother and daughter in the same casket, in an eternal embrace. Absolutely heartbreaking. 🙁

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

It’s a terrible tragedy.

11:49 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know any of the people involved, but I feel like I have been punched in the gut after reading that.

11:54 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I attended the first visitation last night, and this evening I have to go to the second one. Not just a gut punch, but a one-two combo.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

You’re not getting the Rupp crowd to stand on command. Especially the blue hairs.

11:13 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Also, we as fans need to get over trying to have our crowds get into all that rah-rah stuff that works for other places. It’s just not who we are as a fan base, at least the ones who go to the home games.

• Realme
      11:21 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m a little torn. I hate to be told what to do in a crowd participation situation (clapping at church or cheering at a work conference, etc.). I just find it super annoying for some reason. But I don’t think our lower arena should have to be told how to act like sports fans either.

11:23 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that’s right. We are way too cool to jump up and down and cheer for our team. 😉

11:29 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

The last basketball game I went to at Rupp (couple of years ago) my son and I got nice lowers. The people – as entitled as they may be – were cordial, showed real knowledge of the game, and showed class toward the other team’s player who lit us up (there’s always that one guy). But it’s just way too country club-like for me.

• Realme
      11:31 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

One time a minister was like “imagine if we got as excited here as we do for UK sports, shouldn’t this be even better?” He had a point.

• Realme
      11:33 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I’ve only sat in lower arena once for a real game. It was way more comfortable physically, but felt really weird mentally. It’s like the people around us just had this air about them. I have a co-worker who occasionally sits in the Hammer’s seats (or whatever he calls himself now). Would like to have that experience once…

11:39 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

I used to have a boss who had lower season tickets that he didn’t use all that much, so I could get those. And I was in the band when I was in school. I’m just not motivated to pay to sit in the nosebleed seats.

11:58 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

We got to use my cousin’s lower arena seats for a few games a year up until she sold them a couple years ago. We were behind the basket, so probably a little different feel than the prime seats on the sidelines. For the late weeknight games when things cleared out early, we would sneak over to the good seats. One time we (my daughters and I) sat down in front of a couple of little old ladies. One of them said to me, “Excuse me sire, but are these your regular seats?” I got nervous because I was afraid she was going to call the usher on us, but when I told her that we had moved over for a better view, she said she was really glad we did that, because the people who owned the seats rarely came, and she thought it was a shame that good seats like that never got used. She was a sweetheart!

12. ClutchCargo
    11:17 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

No. People running for President shouldn’t have to put their medical records out there. If you want to require a physical that they pass or fail, that’s fine.

11:22 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Agree. Where do you draw the line on who is fit for office? Should they undergo a psychological evaluation too? (On second thought, that might not be such a bad idea!)

11:30 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Hell yes, RCF!! lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Health should be a consideration, however. The three elder statesmen last night looked really frail; Sanders lower lip was actually trembling when he became upset.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Medical records no. They should absolutely have to release their tax returns though.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:32 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Well, our POTUS certainly uses a comb! (And about a half can of Aquanet).

I am also mystified by all of the various “self-grooming-care” products that the females in my household use. That thing that they use on their eyelashes looks like something from the torture scene in “True Lies”. 😀

• Realme
      11:35 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

They make eyelash curlers that heat up like a curling iron nowadays. Super scary.

11:44 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

A hot eyelash curler sounds terrifying. There are a few disadvantages to being a guy, but the low maintenance aspect is not one of them.

• Realme
      11:48 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Women can be low maintenance if they want. I have no makeup on today, and no one has screamed or run away yet.

12:00 pm February 20, 2020 Permalink

You crack me up, Realme! 🙂

I can’t recall the comedian who said it, but it was something along the lines that most guys wake up looking relatively the same as they did when they went to bed, but women somehow tend to deteriorate during the night.

I’ll duck under my desk now. 😀

14. J-Dub421
    11:45 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Fingers crossed, this feels like a year Duke gets a high seed and crashes out early to a team they have no business losing to.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:49 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

MLB absolutely dropped the ball; even Lebron trashed them; even athletes in other sports are commenting on it.

11:52 am February 20, 2020 Permalink

Even Roger Goodell probably thinks Manfred is a goober.