KSR Show Thread (2/20/19): Recapping the game and Reid Travis

Tune in now for another edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio with Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

116 Comments for KSR Show Thread (2/20/19): Recapping the game and Reid Travis

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Waiting to hear about Reid Travis. Just like the refugees in Casablanca…wait, and wait, and wait.
    I hate waiting.

• ClutchCargo
      10:06 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

This is the worst part about the canceled flight out of Columbia.

10:07 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

The waiting is the hardest part.

• Realme
      10:08 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Me too. Although I think most of my worry is things people on Twitter put in my head “he must think it’s bad, from the look on his face”, “oh, I don’t like the look of the way that knee bent.” In reality he got up and walked himself out so hopefully it isn’t serious (lets out a little sob).

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

And what’s with the Courier-Journal? Travis “sauntered” to the locker room. Either I or the CJ doesn’t know what saunter means.

• Realme
      10:09 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

That’s a bizarre thing to say. They must just think it is a fancy way to say walked.

10:10 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Smart money is on runnin.

• Realme
      10:12 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

“Saunter: to walk in a slow, relaxed manner, without hurry or effort”.

Nope. Not relaxed, not without effort. They got the slow part right I guess.

10:12 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

We all know I’m freaking out.

• Realme
      10:13 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I’d go with limped.

• I have to admit, all I could think of when I saw it bend was Nerlens. I was glad he got up.

10:14 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

They might as well have used moseyed.

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Walking off under his own power doesn’t reassure me at all. You can usually walk straight ahead with a torn ACL.

10:15 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

He was limping pretty badly at first. I’m hoping it’s not too bad because when he went to the locker room he wasn’t limping nearly as much anymore. Fingers crossed. We need Reid. Also, I just like him.

10:15 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I think the term would be “limped” or “walked gingerly”. (Who’s Ginger?)

10:15 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I thought about J-Dub when Travis got injured. I could just imagine the panic on her face.

10:16 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

RealCats, Ginger was stranded on Gilligan’s Island.

• ClutchCargo
      10:17 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

RCF, I didn’t realize redheaded people had their own distinctive gait. πŸ™‚

10:18 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

The refs were crap as usual.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

We really need Reid; he rebounds, and masks a lot of defensive deficiencies. Big factor in the offense, too; I don’t think we got a bucket the last 7 minutes. And got killed on the boards.

10:37 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, we’ll have to ask cg. πŸ™‚

2. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

That game sucked monkey balls. Just miserable all the way around. Miserable weather outside, miserable turnout on the stands, miserable play in the second half, miserable little Jersey Shore reject flopping guard for Mizzou, and of course that miserable injury to Reid. Just miserable!

• Realme
      10:14 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

And dumb constantly booing crowd. Why did we let them into our conference?

I loved when PJ shoved that guy off of Reid though. He had no time for that idiot’s bs.

10:16 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Send them back to the Big XII so they can hurt Kansas’ players.

10:16 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Our team really does like each other.

• Matt said it last night: a dirty player who flops. It’s maybe a lesser version of Bill Laimbeer. The dude hammered folks like Dick Butkus and cried and whined more than most when called for a foul.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

There is really nothing likable about Mizzou. I’m even starting to hate their football team, who we now own.

10:22 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

They played dirty all night. The dude that hacked the crap out of Herro on that fast break should have been called for a Flagrant 1. He was not going for the ball. Mizzou hacked and grabbed and undercut our players all night. They knew they had no chance of winning, so they made the game as ugly as possible.

• They play a lot like Arkansas in that regard.

• Realme
      10:27 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, notice they had Cuonzo “wired” last night but didn’t come up with more than a few seconds to air. That “playing style” comes from him.

10:36 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

The Mizzou player who got hurt did it to himself. EJ jumped and scored, and while he was in the air the guy undercut him so that EJ fell into his head/neck.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I was yelling for a foul for undercutting EJ on that one. That was just a careless, dangerous move on that guy’s part.

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      11:04 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

It was called a Flagrant 1 on the Herro lay-up.

11:08 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think we got the ball back after his free throws.

• Realme
      11:10 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I think we did. They just took a long time to decide to review and then did it mostly during commercial.

11:13 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I went back and looked it up. You were right.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I take some solace in the fact that we were able to get all the way to the finals in 2014 with out Willie out.

4. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:18 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I don’t like Matt talking about “if” Travis doesn’t come back.

10:20 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Let’s just all assume he’ll be fine. Think positive thoughts. Reid will be fine and will be back in a week or less. I’m just going to speak it into existence.

10:29 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt needs to stop with the whole “without Reid” thing!

• unbridled
      10:54 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

J Dub, I think Travis will rest for 2 games and return against Tennessee. I think he will be just fine.

5. Realme
    10:18 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt’s taking it to another level by acting like we’re waiting to see if it’s Nerlens bad. Nerlens was screaming and couldn’t put weight on it. We all knew that one was not a sprain.

• ukbradstith
      10:21 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yup that was a bad one, it was obvious. This wasn’t nearly as bad, but could still be an ACL.

10:31 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

This one reminds me more of the Derek Anderson injury. That one just looked like he landed funny and started limping. Wasn’t in obvious severe pain, but you could tell it was bothering him. Praying that it is just a minor tweak.

6. ukbradstith
    10:20 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I disagree with Matt on this…I think Reid is the starter we can do without the most. I don’t think we can win a title without him, but I think EJ and Nick can step up minutes and fill in just fine in most games.

• Realme
      10:21 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Didn’t work out so great last night, we were awful after he left. Hopefully that was just them wanting the game to be over since it was garbage.

• ukbradstith
      10:23 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Cal said on the post game he just wanted to kill time and just get out of there after that. I think that had little to do with Reid.

• No one else can body up to a physical player the way Reid can, except PJ. Folks like Matt, who watch more bball than me, have talked about how PJ handled Grant Williams last year but it affected his offense, so Reid took a huge load off his shoulders against UT by guarding Williams and taking his post game out of the equation.

10:25 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Reid also clears out the lane and gives PJ room to work and opens driving lanes for the guards.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

We have a big problem if we have to go to UT without him.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

It would be disastrous for us; but, I would hate it for Reid…really hurtful way to end his last year.

• RexRox
      10:30 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Really need Reid’s physicality. They killed us on the offensive glass once he left the game.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I don’t put any stock into what happened in the latter part of that game. It was clear we didn’t want to be there. Hangover from UT, injury to a key player… let’s just get this over with.

10:34 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Rex, I think part of it was the players being distracted with Reid’s injury, plus the fact that Cal told them to work the clock. He just wanted to get the hell out of there without any more injuries.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

The Rodney Dent injury that the caller mentions happened the same way, but was more like the Nerlens injury in severity. You just knew that he really tore up his knee after that one.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I said on another thread that it is time for SNR to become GAMNR.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Did you see that move he made, one side of the goal to the other in one gigantic huge step? Beautiful, but then he goes MIA…just don’t understand his lack of desire; with effort, he could play in the league.

10:43 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

It’s a confidence issue. Nick gets into his own head.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Confidence, and he just doesn’t have a natural feel for the game. Maybe he can develop that. But he seems to have to consciously think about things that are almost instinctive for most other players.

10:54 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully if Reid has to sit a week or two, Nick will get into the flow and play with confidence since he doesn’t have to worry so much about getting yanked if he makes a mistake. Kind of like Ashton after Quade left.

10:56 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Gotta remember that Nick got a relatively late start playing basketball.

9. CATandMONKEY
    10:38 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Only hoping the best for Reid’s recovery.

The small number of vocal detractors will realize Travis’ importance to this team if he sits out a few. Hopefully he is back soon.

10. J-Dub421
    10:39 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

You’d have to pay me $2,500 to sit in that cesspool of Duke fans.

10:42 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

You’re cheaper than me J-Dub!

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

$2,500 to be with the jumping wind-up toy nerds? Rather spend the evening chewing glass.

10:45 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

For $2,500 I could pull a Matt and sit there and read a book for two hours.

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I would love to have a ticket just so I could flip it to somebody dumb enough to pay that kind of money.

10:51 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Now where is my BAM (Big Ass Mallet)? I need to play some whack-a-nerd tonight!

11. J-Dub421
    10:42 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Can I have one of Harold’s nerve pills? I need one today, and bourbon at work is frowned upon.

10:43 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Can’t smell Vodka…just sayin’.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Morphine and tonic has no odor.

10:46 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Dang it runnin, you one upped me again. Ha ha

10:46 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Lol. πŸ™‚

10:49 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

When I was 16 and working as a mechanic at a lawn equipment repair shop I watched an older co-worker down an entire half pint of vodka in one gulp. First time I had ever encountered a hard core alcoholic.

10:56 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Two law firms ago a legal secretary got fired because she was drinking screwdrivers all day at work.

11:03 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

When did drinking all day at work become a bad thing…

• Realme
      11:07 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I had a boss in college that used to go home at lunch and drink.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

“The Lord Knows I’m Drinking”
      “I Like Girls That Drink Beer”
      “What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made A Fool Out Of Me”

12. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:45 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Oh my god….Does Matt have any knowledge about ANYTHING? Who hasn’t heard of nerve pills?

13. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt and the boys talking about music again. I have to say that it seems like Rock n Roll as I knew it seems to have died around 2005. Since then it seems like rap and pop have taken over. Can’t remember a really good rock or alternative album being released recently, and even if there was one I wouldn’t be able to hear any of it because there aren’t any decent radio stations left in Louisville. Crap, crap and more crap!

10:50 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I actually attempted to listen to an entire rap song on the radio the other day. Just to prove to myself that I could do it. About 90 seconds was all that I could tolerate.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

The song of the day comes from the Searchers (63),
      “had to run away, get down on my knees and pray that they’d go away,
      but still they begin(uh)…needles and pins(uh)”

10:59 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Bottle of wine, fruit of the vine when you gonna let me get sober? Leave me alone let me go home, let me go home and start over.

14. J-Dub421
    10:55 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

After all the llama talk yesterday, here’s hilarious video of rapper Ludacris rapping a children’s book. (Llama llama red pajamas.)

15. unbridled
    10:56 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt’s legal of the analysis of the Covington Catholic lawsuit is devoid of the facts. The Washington post was given the opportunity to retract the false statements and they did not do that. The sandman case is very strong!! A jury will agree with me.

16. theSpectre_
    10:57 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

80s music was bad? Prince, Michael Jackson, U2, The Bangles, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, The Police, Journey, Foreigner, Bruce Springsteen, Van Halen, Blondie, Don Henley, Glenn Frey, etc etc.

I know some of these artists started in the 60s or 70s, but they were huge in the 80s. I could name a bunch of others – The Cure, The Smiths, Aha, Crowded House, Tears for Fears, Elvis Costello.

60s – GREAT
    70s – Still great
    80s – Very good
    90s – Very good
    Early 2000s – Still good
    2010s – Sucks

There are still great artists making great music, but the garbage goes platinum.

Rap? LOL

• Love 80s music!

11:01 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Right there with you Spectre, Matt has zero musical taste, I just ignore him.

11:02 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

That’s not even including all the good 80’s “hair” bands.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha , I was a sucker for the Bangles and Blondie. Especially the Bangles covering S&G Hazy Shade of Winter, and The Grass Roots’ Where Were You When I Needed You.

11:07 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I had the Grass Roots Greatest Hits on 8 track, hated that kachunk when it changed tracks.

11:11 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I put the 90’s era into “great”. But not everyone is into alternative and grunge like I am. I love bands like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, SoundGarden, Pearl Jam, The Foot Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. Mrs. RCF actually turned me onto this genre when I met her. I was more into blues and traditional classic rock before then.

11:13 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

RealCats never heard of the Foot Fighters.

• Realme
      11:14 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha do they fight against feet or with their feet?

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      11:15 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Def Leppard Sucks!

• theSpectre_
      11:19 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Good point, RealCatsFan. I love all of those bands.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Gotta watch those foot fighters, can kill you with their feet.

11:27 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

They were Kung Foot fightin’, those cats were fast as lightnin’….

17. Realme
    11:21 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Ba ha ha ha! “Have you ever seen a Fiat car?” That’s SO Matt.

11:27 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I missed that, had a customer.

11:28 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

My economics teacher in high school told us if we took anything at all away from his class, that advice was never buy a Fiat. πŸ™‚

18. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

BCG basketball for the win! That has to be rare as hen’s teeth. There are probably tens of millions of basketballs signed by Cal out there.

11:32 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt said “Cal’s balls are everywhere.” Wonder what Ellen has to say about that?

• ClutchCargo
      11:45 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Oddly enough, I have a basketball signed by BCG. He would sign them during the post-game show just like Cal does.

11:50 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

BCG’s balls really were everywhere…lol

11:55 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I would want a Calipari signed ball the most.

11:55 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Iam, word on the street is that Pitino’s balls were even more widely distributed. Heard a rumor that they are now making the rounds overseas.

11:57 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

RealCats I would say you’re right about Pitino’s ball distribution as well as penetration.

19. kyinsider
    11:32 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Followed our best game of the year with one of our sloppiest games of the season, good to get a stinker out of the way. Hoping Reid can back before the Tennessee game

20. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I was in Dallas on a business trip back in the 90’s. Went to a local bar to watch all the two-steppin. Went into the men’s room and heard a few of the boys discussion compound fractures, compression fractures, broken ribs, etc. Couldn’t figure it out until I realized that they were rodeo riders comparing war wounds. Those people are crazy!