KSR Show Thread 2/19: Get ready for Mizzou

Denny Medley | USA Today

Denny Medley | USA Today

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Tune in as the gang gets you ready for tonight’s game vs. Missouri in Columbia, which doesn’t tip until 9 p.m. ET. Pass the coffee…

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

90 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/19: Get ready for Mizzou

1. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Interesting stats last night from Virginia v Virginia Tech and Wisconsin v Illinois; both games were 64-58, and I fell asleep 6 times in both games. Hah, boring.

10:09 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

*Wescornsyn

10:11 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Wisconsin and Virginia are the kings of boring basketball that no one watches.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Hah, forgot…the BADgers.

10:15 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I tried to watch some basketball last night and just wasn’t feelin’ it at all. Ended up watching a couple of episodes of The Punisher instead. I’m still catching up on that show.

10:21 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been watching Dexter, but I never watch a lot of other teams before the tourney starts.

10:26 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve seen some ACC teams this season because I watch a few Louisville games with my hubby. I also “scout” any teams I think are a potential title contender. I like to know what we’re up against.

10:26 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I rarely watch “shows” on weeknights, just sports for the most part. That’s how bad the basketball options were last night. I normally even catch a few NBA games, since I sprang for the League Pass this year so my son can watch all the Celtics games. All-star break has stopped that for a few days.

2. Realme
    10:09 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Only Ryan could make the moon sound creepy. πŸ™‚

3. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I think the prime suspect for the llama attacks has to be the Pope Lick Monster.

I was just walking around that area this weekend, and there are plenty of areas where wild animals could live. It is not uncommon to see coyotes in the area, and there is some speculation that they may be breeding with dogs that are running wild.

10:20 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

There was speculation that it was coyotes, but you’d need a huge pack of coyotes to kill that many llamas. Bear maybe, or a mountain lion? Neither of those usually kill a bunch of things indiscriminately like that though.

10:24 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s the weird part, that in these attacks, they just kill, not to eat.

4. Realme
    10:14 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

“Do they have lions at the zoo?” And Matt acts like Ryan is dumb.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Lions…and tigers and bears, too.

10:17 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

The llamas were for their fur/wool.

10:20 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I sent that to the test machine using “fur”, and immediately was like, that cannot be the right word.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:20 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

No Matt, it’s the Louisville Petting Zoo!

10:23 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Has Matt never watched a nature show in his life? He seems to know nothing about animals at all.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:25 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Matt has led a sheltered life it seems.

10:25 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Also seems like he’s never went outside, except to the golf course.

10:31 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I thought he grew up in the country. He sounds like a city boy.

10:32 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I used to lifeguard and the pools were close to the golf course at our country club. I’ve had to fish all sorts of wildlife out the pools. Live wildlife, snakes, turtles, frogs… Trying to get geese and ducks out was always the hardest.

10:32 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

And now we are getting Ryan’s take on, ahem, “nightclub wildlife”. πŸ™‚

10:35 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Conspiracy theorists would venture that some kind of wild animal has escaped from the zoo, and they are trying to keep things quiet to prevent a panic and hoping to quietly corral the critter. However, that could pose a huge potential liability if a human were attacked.

If I lived in that area, I would have serious reservations about letting my pets outside.

10:37 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Schuff Ln is dead smack in the middle of an upscale neighborhood. Friend of mine lives there – his house literally backs up to the MegaCavern.

10:44 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Things have very rarely gotten out of their enclosures at the Louisville Zoo, but they’ve never gotten off zoo property. And by rarely, I’m talking maybe twice in 50 years. Their security protocols are pretty hardcore. (I used to volunteer at the Louisville Zoo and was on the Louisville Zoo Youth Board in high school.)

10:45 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

It happens sometimes, RCF. My brother is kind of a metrosexual like Matt, and other than his college years, he has never lived in a town bigger than about 20,000 people. We’re pretty much polar opposites in that regard.

10:48 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, I’m picturing some epic “bro battles” between the two of you… πŸ™‚

10:49 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, that’s reassuring.

10:55 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I got to tour the Islands exhibit when they were building it, and they told us there are 168 individual lock in that exhibit alone. Each section locks with separate locking sections in between (mostly because of the orangutans, which are really smart and get bored. They went to other zoos and learned from others mistakes before building that exhibit.)

11:01 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I have always felt a little sorry for a lot of the animals in the exhibits – especially the more intelligent ones. It is obvious that they get pretty bored. A lot of the big cats just pace back and forth. Of course, the lions just seem to enjoy being lazy.

11:05 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s why the Islands exhibit is so cool. They move some of the animals around (sumatran tigers, orangutans, capybara, etc.) so that they go to different enclosures and can smell each other, etc. It’s more like being in the wild and more interesting for them.

11:17 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Didn’t know Mitch McConnell had a house back in there. Shouldn’t Mitch be in the turtle exhibit at the zoo?

5. runningunnin.454
    10:29 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Never underestimate an opponent; MIzzou took LSU to OT. The guys are jinxing us.

10:30 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

As long as the coaches and players are taking this seriously (and I trust that they are), I guess I’m ok with KSR saying whatever.

6. Realme
    10:31 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha ha ha ha ha Coyotes walking the streets of downtown Lexington. Hope they like pigeons and rats.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

The other day, I saw a coyote with a chinese menu in his hand.

• secrick
      10:37 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

We have Coyotes on our place, lots of them. Just say boo and they will run off.

10:38 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Maybe we need Kentucky Joe to do his version of “Coyotes of Lexington”. πŸ˜‰

On second thought, maybe not!

10:39 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Do you live in the middle of Lexington or Louisville, Rick?

10:39 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha RCF, that’s his kind of wild animal.

10:39 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

secrick, that is usually the case, but if they are hungry and in a pack they can be aggressive. Read a story years ago about a guy on a remote job site near Lake Cumberland, and he had one chase him to his truck. Got in the truck just in time as it was literally nipping at his heels.

10:39 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I see coyotes fairly regularly along I-71 and 265 in the east end of Louisville. Don’t let your pets roam. (Actually you shouldn’t let your dogs or cats roam regardless.)

10:44 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I live very close to I-71. Have not seen any roaming my neighborhood, but I know they are around because I frequently see them dead along the highway. I have seen several foxes lately, along with the other usual critters – raccoons, possums, squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, etc. We have a cat that does go outside regularly, and I worry about him, but the “cat is out of the bag”, so to say. Once they get used to going outside, they will drive you absolutely nuts if you try to keep them in.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:45 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Was he looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook’s, running?

10:47 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

“Little old llama got mutilated late last night, coyotes of Lexington again…”

10:47 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

We have the occasional deer in McConnell’s Trace in Lexington, that’s as “wild” as I’ve seen outside of birds.

10:49 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve had deer run across Westport Road in front of me. Deer are everywhere. The coyotes I’ve seen were skulking off into the underbrush. I’ve seen some that were hit as well.

10:50 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Realme, didn’t know you lived back there. My cuz who has supplied me with tickets to UK BB lives back in there as well.

• secrick
      10:50 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Real, No in the country around Shelbyville.

10:52 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Last year someone hit a deer on the Watterson near Breckenridge Ln. They are EVERYWHERE. Saw a very large buck dead on a sidewalk near Hurstbourne Pkwy and Westport Rd.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Iam…I think he was craving beef chow mein.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:19 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Hey runnin, I’d like to meet his tailor.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Three piece suit with a monocle and watch fob.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Ha! Pretty funny to hear Matt calling Drew a “dandy”. πŸ™‚

8. runningunnin.454
    11:07 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

In Western Kentucky, we have the legend of the “Wolfman of the Land Between the Lakes”. Several “sightings” in the last century, and the Shawnee had the “Beast Between the Rivers”.
    Said to be 7 ft tall, walking upright on two legs, with red eyes.
    Of course, we have Bourbon, and the Native Americans had firewater. Probably the NA didn’t want interlopers in their hunting ground.

11:30 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Wonder if that beast has any college basketball eligibility left? 7 footers don’t grow on trees, you know.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

They say he can’t go to his left, and eats referees.

11:45 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, but he is quite literally a beast. Just needs a couple of years of coaching by Cal and Kenny Payne. And he can’t be all bad if he eats referees like the Rooferee, Ted Valentine, etc.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Caller is talking about a bobcat attacking llamas. I just can’t see that – bobcats are not very big.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:18 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

RealCats, I thought he was saying they were using a Bobcat to drag the llamas to the grave.

11:21 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah the caller was describing using a Bobcat to drag them to their grave. πŸ™

11:24 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Ohhh, okay – I just caught it in the background while working.

10. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:16 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

The caller said they were dragging the Llamas with a Bobcat by their legs? Matt says “So you think it was a bobcat”?

11:19 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah that call was not an exercise in good communication. First the caller says people have been lying and he’s going to give Matt the facts, and then tells him all the things they already talked about, and Matt acts like it’s new info. Then the burying with a Bobcat part…

11:31 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Why am I not surprised Matt wouldn’t know what a Bobcat is?

11:31 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Didn’t Matt live in the country? People let their dogs out and they get into big packs and absolutely run around killing things. Wild animals eat their kills.

11. unbridled
    11:19 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Coyotes are literally everywhere in our state. Nothing new there. I find it hard to believe that coyotes would kill 6 llamas. No way that happened.

12. Realme
    11:22 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

So how far away was the dog attacks situation? I don’t think they ever solved that. Maybe the same monster did both.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I think that was in Monroe Co. on Ky-Tenn border.

11:39 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

A skin walker wolf beast could walk that distance in that time.

13. Realme
    11:32 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I saw EJ’s tweets, was surprised to never see KSR do a story. One day during or after a basketball game I was scrolling Twitter and hysterical tweets from him kept popping up. He said the police had entered his home without permission or warrant to search for weapons he didn’t have. He said he had video and the police were going to kill him for it. He was completely serious. He mentioned Stoops and said something obscene about UK in a quote tweet, and later he shared the video. It was hard to tell anything, you just saw a cop in his kitchen trying to get him to calm down and him trying to order them to leave.

11:33 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

*Football EJ.

11:48 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Damn, you had me concerned for a second!

11:49 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Still concerned, but I think you know what I mean.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s sad.

11:50 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

πŸ™‚

11:53 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I really hope he gets help for whatever issues he is dealing with. But I’m glad we aren’t counting on him in the OL rotation anymore.

11:55 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully he will look back and be happy about being a real part of last season, and maybe be better off without the pressure.

11:59 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m excited about getting Landon Young back.

14. unbridled
    11:32 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Sally is correct about dogs and their pack mentality. I don’t think this was a dog attack though. I’m thinking human or larger predator.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:32 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

The lady saying that it was a pack of dogs attacking the llamas might have some validity. When I was a kid, our neighborhood bordered a wooded area, and there were a lot of deer back there that would come right up to the fence when people would throw fruit and bread out to them. They were almost tame. But I remember that a pack of dogs attacked them and that was the end of them.

Reminds me of a movie I saw as a kid about a pack of dogs that became killers. Was a very scary movie for a 12-year-old.

16. runningunnin.454
    11:46 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Coyotes are canine…sheesh.

11:48 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Oh these guys are the worst when it comes to basic info!

11:51 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

I think there is an underlying reason that facts are optional. Like, they frequently aren’t aware of the facts.

11:51 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Holy cow. How do they not know coyotes are canines? My eyes just rolled so hard I saw my brain.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Wonder if they know to which family the llama belongs.

11:56 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

Someone tell him Llamas are canines, he’ll believe it.

11:57 am February 19, 2019 Permalink

rg, they probably think “Is Your Mama a Llama?” was a mystery novel.

• runningunnin.454
      12:02 pm February 19, 2019 Permalink

Y’all are too funny, hilarious.