KSR Show Thread 2/18: Recapping a great weekend

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s huge win over Tennessee, which made for an epic weekend in Lexington. Tune in or miss out!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

128 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/18: Recapping a great weekend

1. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:02 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Orange you glad we were blue?

2. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:03 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

*wear

10:03 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

comment fail.

10:09 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

It still kind of works, because everyone wearing orange were blue after the game. πŸ™‚

10:11 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Thanks RealCats, I feel less like a loser.

• StillBP
      10:35 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m glad we were blue, so maybe you messed up but it’s still true so you’re good!

3. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

UK and UT combined for a total of 9 fouls in the first half. Somebody at the SEC got to the refs at halftime…this is entirely too entertaining.
    31 fouls in the 2nd half.

10:10 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

When PJ got that first foul in the opening minutes, I said “Uh oh, here we go with PJ in foul trouble again”. Glad they let them play, at least in the first half.

10:16 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

A little help with the mod bot, please?

• Mark Buerger made a great point yesterday morning. This game paralleled the Miss. St. football game. All I heard all week, on local and national and regional shows, was (my paraphrasing of course) “Ohhhhhhhhhh Miss. St. is the most physical team of AAAAALL time!” Then we beat the doggie (see what I did there?) out of ’em. Same thing with UT last week.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Williams and Schofileld thought they were physical, then they played Reid and PJ….

• KYjellyRoll
      10:31 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Agreed

10:35 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I thought before the game that UT was a more favorable matchup for us than LSU was. UT doesn’t have nearly the level of athleticism that LSU does. The Vols kind of remind me more of the good Tubby teams at UK. Really good, but they have some weaknesses that might keep them from winning a title.

• Mod-bot. *sigh*

• What I got “modded” for was this:

Vaught said Worshington’s hook won’t be there against LSU type teams, so I said we need Nick to play well in March. ‘Nuff said I guess.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

What a weekend for UK sports! I was inside a volleyball center the whole weekend, but I did get home Saturday night just in time to watch the game. I was too tired to last through the post game call in show. Did I miss anything good?

• It’s been podcasted. I fell asleep in the chair listening. I have to go back and listen again because a time or 2 I woke up to MJ laughing at a call so I have to see what was so funny. haha

10:37 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Mrs RCF listened down in Vol country, and she said the callers were not as entertaining as she had hoped. She and one of the other volleyball mom’s who is also a UK fan holed up in the hotel lobby and took over the TV for the game. They did their best to be completely obnoxious for all to see when they knew we had the game in hand. Wish I could have been down there with them. Older daughter was playing down there in Gatlinburg, and younger daughter was with me in Louisville. Got home just in time to see the game. Didn’t have enough gas in the tank to last through the post game show after 12 hours of screaming girls. πŸ™‚

10:38 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

The best part is that one of the volleyball families with her are huge UT fans. They quietly retired to their room shortly after we creamed them in the second half. πŸ™‚

5. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:12 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I haven’t had that much fun in a long time, everyone played well.

10:44 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Yessir! I told my wife it was a nice surprise to actually have an entertaining, low-stress game to watch on a Saturday night.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

The 2003 Florida game was a little sweeter in a way because they were all puffing out their chests at their brand new #1 ranking and we whopped them into submission. But this one was pretty sweet too!

10:16 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

That 2003 game was a classic, for sure. This one was a little better, imo. To me, this was more about UK’s coming out party instead of taking the opponent down a notch, although it had some of both.

• It seems no one has mentioned the LSU game in, I think, 81. I don’t remember if they were #1, but they were 17-0 in the SEC and we beat them. I remember Al McGuire saying “The noise is deafening!” He said UK was THE program, not UNCheat, UCLA, IU, etc.

• And it was on a last second block by Sam Bowie, so similar to when AD got the last second block on UNCheat in the 2011-2012 season.

10:26 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Dang, that was a l-o-n-g time ago, cg! I think a lot of us just don’t remember it that well.

• I guess RG is the only regular here that’s older than moi!

10:28 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m probably older than you Chris but I don’t have the memory of you or runnin.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m 39 if anybody asks.

10:30 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I would have been about 12 at the time, so I was old enough. I must have been playing Atari or something. πŸ™‚

10:30 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I was a soph in HS when that game happened, so I’m no spring chicken.

10:32 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Dang it runnin I thought we were a lot further apart in age.

10:33 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

rg, in that case it’s time to start celebrating anniversaries instead of birthdays. I’m about 13 – and I act it. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I was 2 in ’81.

• Iamhe, I forgot that I’ve heard you allude to your age range before.

10:43 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah Chris I was 29 in 81′ and I can almost remember it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

In ’65 I was seventeen, and running up one-on-one,
      I don’t know where I’m running now, I’m just running on.
      Running on empty.

11:12 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Man I love Jackson Browne!

12:10 pm February 18, 2019 Permalink

runningunninonempty454 FTW!

7. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Still waiting for Tyler to go on an unreal 3-point shooting spree, but his defense and rebounding were unbelievable.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

6’5″ guy gets 13 rebounds, wow. And they weren’t bouncing long out to him; he was under the goal with the big guys.

10:24 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

He was crashing the boards in the most literal sense of the phase.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

That will happen when we go to TN. Herro loves to troll when we’re on the road.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:38 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Tyler falls into the category of “crafty” on both ends of the floor with regards to his ability to get to both the ball and the basket.

BTW, that version of the song is WAY better than the Darius Rucker attempt.
      Sorry, Ryan.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

UT is still a very good team – we just manhandled them. They remind me a little bit of the Arkansas teams of the 90’s. That is going to be one tough road game in Knoxville. Hope a decent amount of blue that gets in.

10:28 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

We’re screwed if the refs call every little ticky tack foul like they tend to do at times. And that team and their fans are going to be out for blood.

10:32 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I doubt if the whistles will be very friendly either. I don’t think we necessarily got home cooking in Rupp, but you can bet we won’t get any favors down there.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

We shot more free throws Saturday. However is was fairly even until the last 90 seconds or so when TN started fouling on purpose. TN was just stupid to keep fouling Herro; he’s a 90% free throw shooter. Also, we pounded the ball into the paint all night while TN jacked up 24 threes.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

They’re flying in Pat Adams, Doug Shows, and Rooferee especially for the occasion.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:42 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Gosh(insert inappropriate exclamation of choice)! Those 90’s Arkansas teams were fun to hate, with just a touch of begrudging respect.

…not as fun to hate as some of the Florida teams; 2003 was gratifying but this weekend was a bigger flex with possibly great implications.

10:45 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

The 06/07 Florida teams may the the most hateable SEC teams in history. They would rank right up there with most dook teams.

10:47 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

No kidding, C&M. I don’t know that there has ever been a more punchable non-dookie than Matt Walsh. That beatdown was super fun.

10:49 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

RCF, those UF title teams were the worst. Hateable and unbeatable, at least by us. The taunting by Noah was the icing on the cake.

10:50 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Matt Walsh brought the douchebaggery in much the same way that John McEnroe did.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

CC, I’ll see your Matt Walsh and raise you Joakim Noah. Man I hated him.

11:00 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

For some strange reason, Noah was always more of a guy I loved to hate, instead of actually hating him. My avatar kind of says it all, btw. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Anybody watch the Dook game? Their student section was bouncing up and down in unison the whole game.
      Funny, they looked like a bunch of wind-up toy nerds.

11:07 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

You mean they’re not??

11:10 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Runnin’, I would like to have a bit mallet so I could play whack-a-mole with them. πŸ˜€

11:10 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Dammit – “big mallet”. Ten thumb Monday.

11:12 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Whack-a-Nerd!

11:16 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, I am betting that you could also play that game at Vandy.

9. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:19 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

It’s a good day, Matt learned something, bumfuzzle is a word. And I thought he knew everything.

10. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:33 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

My dad was talking about Travis being too slow in the first half and then the second half happened.

• StillBP
      10:43 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

lol my cousin texted me at halftime: Travis is crap, prove me wrong. Well, I don’t have to prove you wrong but he can.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

People need to lay off of my Reid. I will fight them! πŸ˜‰

10:48 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I reminded him every time Travis made a play of any kind, at the end of the game he agreed he had a great game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

A lot of his contributions don’t show up in the box score. And the whole team was great Saturday with the deflections…they don’t show up either; but, I know the coaches count them.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Reid clears the lane for his teammates, giving them space to operate.

11. KYjellyRoll
    10:34 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

The foul disparity is going to have to be fixed. I’m sick of watching one game or half where they let them play, only to be disgusted when they call every touch a foul. Either it’s a foul or it isn’t! They should collaborate and come to an agreement on what’s a foul.

10:35 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Agreed!

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

It is annoying. They do that in most games I’ve noticed.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

It’s a contact sport; you can’t call every hand check and every bump…but sometimes they try.
      It just ruins a game.

10:48 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I think one reason they let them play in the first half was that even as physical as it was getting, the players were not getting really chippy with each other. They were just playing hard. I think someone got to the refs at halftime and told them to call it tighter.

11:02 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I love to see two teams just going at it and competing like that. Win or lose, it just makes for a better game.

12. kyinsider
    10:36 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Hey guys I would appreciate it you checked out my new blog. The #1 up and coming Kentucky Sports blog. Your source for all things Kentucky Wildcats and Big Blue Nation!

kyinsider.wordpress.com

13. Arg! What happened that even the UT players laughed at? Working while listening makes me miss stuff until I hear them laughing.

10:41 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I hate it when a customer calls right when something good is talked about. Sometimes I put them on hold. πŸ˜‰

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

They played some song with a line “FU Tennessee” and the whole student section yelled it out loudly, which made the TN players laugh.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

So at the start of the season, who would have predicted that PJ would be our best 3-point shooter and Tyler is our second best rebounder? πŸ˜‰

• CATandMONKEY
      10:45 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Serious 180 from earlier expectations.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Gotta give The Admiral some props for what he said about us after the game. Very mature young man, and smart not to give any locker room material. I find Barnes and this team to actually be fairly likable as far as UT teams go, but I still want us to kick their teeth in. πŸ˜‰

16. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

“Exploding Head Syndrome” that Matt is talking about sounds like something that Frank Martin would be afflicted with. Thought Cal might have it when IQ had that dumb turnover in the second half during UT’s run.

17. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:51 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I loved when Bone was taking trash to Herro after the play was over and Herro had to be pulled away laughing and smiling, and then continued his rebounding dominance, not to mention that big 3 from the corner.

11:05 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Herro is one of those guys we would absolutely hate if he played for the opposing team. I’m glad we have him!

11:07 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, I want Tyler to start raining down 3’s so the opposition can hate him even more.

18. Realme
    11:03 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Haven’t had time to read through here yet, but I just need to know… On a scale of 1-10, how evil am I that I was hoping Williams would lightly fracture something during one of his flops?

11:06 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I wouldn’t wish injury on any player, but it would have been pretty hilarious if his shorts had split down the backside for one of those flops.

11:09 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

A minor injury that lasted like 30 minutes wouldn’t be all that evil…Would it?

11:09 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

No judgment from me. We all say and do things we aren’t necessarily proud of during some of these games. πŸ™‚

11:15 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, how many of us wanted to see someone bust Grayson Allen’s face with a well placed elbow?

11:16 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Waving hand in the air!

• But that’s cuz Allen was kicking dudes in the junk and tripping them.

I wasn’t hoping for an injury Saturday, but if a guy busts his butt bone or fractures something because he flops, it’s his fault, so no sympathy from me.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I still want that RCF.

• BTW, a comment Saturday night was great when someone\ called them “Floppy Top”.

• Realme
      11:26 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Okay, I’ll put myself down for a 5.

11:28 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I would definitely be down for some horrible cramps brought on by a flop.

• StillBP
      11:36 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I typically wish explosive diarrhea on players instead of injury. So I guess too bad he didn’t poop his pants when he flopped. And yes, I realize this sounds like a 10 year old’s comment. Sorry πŸ™‚

11:39 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I was scared to ruin our mojo by getting on the live blog Saturday night. I literally sat in the same spot on the couch the whole night. Didn’t want to jinx us.

11:39 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

It would no doubt be that hideous shade of orange, BP!

19. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of presidents in Presidents’ Day, in grade school I had to do a report on Willliam Howard Taft. The thing I remembered about him was that he was so fat that he supposedly got stuck in a bathtub. I have since read that this was a myth, but it was funny to think about at the time.

11:20 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Is that where Little Feat got the title for their album Fat Man in the Bathtub?

11:37 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Iam, I loved that album! LF was a great band to see live.

11:44 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I’ve heard that from several people, never got to see them in concert.

20. J-Dub421
    11:21 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Here’s a fun stat: Among 87 Division 1 coaches with 7+ games played against #1 teams, Coach Cal is the ONLY ONE with a winning record.

11:25 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

To be fair, Billy Tubbs and somebody else I can’t remember have winning records vs #1, even though they only played them 5 times. mashburnfan almost broke google trying to dig up that little irrelevant nugget this weekend.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

That is amazing if you think about it; I read it on ESPN site, and was going to use it later to bust a troll, but KSR spoiled it for me when they put it up.

11:32 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, I was wondering why the internet was so slow. Now I know it was mashburnfan trolling for “facts”.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

I DVR’s the GameDay broadcast, and last night the wife and I watched it. I thought the setting at Memorial was awesome – they should have it there from now on. My only complaint – why does the crowd get so quiet in there at times? Do they make them quiet down so the announcers can talk? If not, someone should be making sure they stay loud THE WHOLE TIME!

11:31 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

And Reid and PJ should have absolutely given Zion’s dunk a negative number. πŸ˜€

11:45 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

HaHa – just watched a replay of the half court shot. “Let’s F-ing go!” πŸ˜€

22. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Question – have we ever had AD in the house for a UK game since he has been in the NBA? That would be awesome to have him back for a big game.

23. Realme
    11:45 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Oh goodness. That guy was like a young Ky Joe with all of his pointless comments.

24. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:50 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Jay Bilas’ snarky remarks in regards to the 94 feet didn’t set well with me, just solidified his my opinion that he has a higher opinion of himself than anyone else.

11:54 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Grade A douchenozzle.

25. secrick
    11:50 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Just got a little time to read some of your comments. What a great game we played . We can win it all and Herro may be the best rebounding guard we have ver had at Kentucky.

26. RealCatsFan
    11:51 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

So George Washington was gettin’ some on the side, apparently. Lyndon Johnson was apparently also well known for this. Is this where the term “johnson” comes from when talking about a, ahem, “richard”?

27. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Maybe BCG will run for president – that way we could have a bachelor in the WH again, just like it was so great to have a UK coach who had no family distractions to get in the way of basketball. πŸ˜‰