KSR Show Thread 2/17: Start the week right

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap a busy weekend, which included Kentucky’s win over Ole Miss, both Auburn and LSU losing, the NBA All-Star festivities, and of course, Vince Marrow turning down Michigan State.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

90 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/17: Start the week right

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:57 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

FIRST!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:57 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, I had to do that for old time’s sake.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:00 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

So, in some interesting only semi-UK related news, apparently Charlie Strong is the next “Head Coach as Analyst” on Nick Saban’s staff.

Also, at the Bama/LSU bball game Saturday, the Bama students were chanting “Strong ___ offer!” at the LSU player that Wade said that about. Apparently the player is from Mountain Brook, AL, which is a suburb of Bham.

10:02 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Knowing everything that has happened under Wade (but is yet to be punished, as usual) what made Shaq’s son choose to transfer there? I don’t get it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:04 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Good question. He obviously doesn’t need a strong ___ offer.

BTW, I don’t know if the chant was one of those with the “Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap” things in between but I suspect it was.

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that guy from Bham is named Watford; I’ve heard that name somewhere before; but, don’t remember where!

10:16 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

RG, it was this miraculous tournament game where Indiana won it all, and they still celebrate today. Oh, wait…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

And Mountain Brook is a ritzy area. Maybe not everyone there is rich, but the perception is that they all are.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, IU’s Watford was MVP of that December tournament.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I heard them chanting something but could not quite make it out. I just assumed it was the standard “overrated” cheer. That’s pretty good. Too bad we are not playing them at Rupp.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I can’t imagine Shaq’s son would need a strong *ss offer, considering his dad is loaded.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I checked, and Trenden Watford of LSU is the younger brother of IU’s Watford. Evidently IU was upset when they didn’t get him…guess they didn’t offer enough.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t see that game, but I’m with Matt. How about my man for Bama that made the one-handed late clutch free throws?

• StillBP
      10:36 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

sounds like IU made a weak ass offer.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of IU, looks like they are coming back to earth after looking pretty solid just a couple of weeks ago. You could kind of see it coming, the way they would get leads and then barely hang on (or not quite hang on) at the end. I can’t imagine Archie Miller is going to be around too much longer.

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get O’Neal transferring to LSU, either. LSU is bound to get sanctioned; they’re not on Tobacco Road.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Yep, wondering what schmo IU will hire next. If they play their cards right, Tom Crean will probably be available soon.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Oh, now that’s interesting RFC. Would IU pull a Louisville and hire Crean a second time?

3. RealCatsFan
    10:09 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

It has been a sad weekend for the volleyball community in Louisville, and really, across the nation. The Kobe Bryant tragedy was pretty tough, but this one truly hits close to home. This is the club that my younger daughter plays for, and while I didn’t personally know the ladies and the kids involved, I was acquainted with them, and it’s going to be really tough to not see them around at the gym anymore. Truly tragic and gut wrenching, and it has shook all of us to our core.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:12 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Oh no, that is horrible.

• StillBP
      10:13 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Tragic for sure. How terrible.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I can’t imagine what the families are going through. Prayers for them.

10:22 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Gut wrenching is right. So sorry to hear that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I hated to hear about that this weekend. I was thinking you guys were involved with KIVA, RCF. Prayers for the families and friends.

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

How horrible.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Of course, any loss of life in such a manner is tragic, but these ladies were something special. One was also a Louisville firefighter, they were both high level division I college volleyball players, one coached college ball at IUS, and both were long time coaches of the top national travel 10-U team. I don’t know how the club can fill their shoes. It’s a huge loss. The 12U team that both the girls played on chose to continue playing in the tournament (which wraps up today), and their team is still in the running to win gold in their division. Other teams and clubs have come together in support. We had the girls on our team wearing red ribbons on their shoes with their jersey numbers written on their shoes in marker. I’m sorry – it’s all I can think about right now.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Devastating loss.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Just to show what an impact this has had on the community, they are having an honor guard and shutting down major roads here this afternoon when they bring them back from St Louis. I will be there.

4. StillBP
    10:12 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Name a school currently ranked in the top 10 (until the rankings come out today) that only managed to score 14 points in an entire half of basketball….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know them losing makes our win over them less impressive but how can you not laugh at lil cousin for only scoring 14 points in 20 minutes…against a crappy Clemson team. It looked like a football score at halftime.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

What the hell has happened to our little bro? They forget how to play basketball? They were looking great until about the last week or so.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:25 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Uhhhhh…..I can only think of one. Hee Haw

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and UL Coach benched their star player, and didn’t start him. Good move, there, Mack.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

And then the Clemson fans stormed the court. lol

• StillBP
      10:28 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

lordy, they stormed the court? I think this calls for popcorn boxes with the halftime score on them.

10:30 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I LOVE that it is now the ACC fan bases doing the Ls down and not just us. It makes them cry so hard.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Back to back bad losses for Louisville. The wheels may be falling off.

• StillBP
      10:39 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

haha yes Rm Ls down hurts their feelings so bad. Of course Louisville fans just tell themselves that means they’re living in heads rent free, but we all know deep down they know they are a laughing stock.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Maybe they will stop with the silly hand signals so people won’t put the L’s down. But probably not. The ACC teams probably saw how mad UofL got about us doing that.

• StillBP
      11:12 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

they won’t stop. They just keep saying everyone is jealous bc their team doesn’t have a hand sign. They are that dumb.

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I have a hand sign for those people. And they are free to point that one finger in the direction of their choice. Ha!

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:28 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

That hustle play by EJ near the end was a thing of beauty. I wish more players would realize that if they aren’t scoring, they can contribute on defense and with rebounding.

10:31 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

All we need is for EJ to fight like that, and he’s the legitimate 5th guy we need. Hopefully that reversion to being unable to shoot was temporary though.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

For a while I wondered if there was an invisible lid on our basket.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

No kidding. I hope we don’t have another shooting night like that.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Well, 1-13 from the 3 line in 1st half; at what point do you say, “just stop”…halftime, guess not? I would have pulled my hair out…if I had any. LOL.

6. J-Dub421
    10:31 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Cats gutted out a tough win, and the Big Dawg stayed home. Overall a good weekend. 🙂

10:34 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Yes! Hope he is finished scaring us like that for a while.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I was initially less worried about his one than I was about Youngstown State. But the longer it dragged on, the more I could see him leaving. We have to keep the Big Dog around a few more years.

11:11 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I think that was the most dangerous assistant offer, but we still have to expect head coach offers…

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:36 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Who in the world was that “singing” the anthem???

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:39 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Oh no, I just looked it up and it was “Chaka…Chaka Khan!”

I LOVE her solo music & also Rufus & Chaka (old school soul is the bomb!), but that was purely awful. Just sing it how it was written folks.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

That was not good. She was flat a lot.

• ClutchCargo
      11:02 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

She didn’t seem to have a plan for how she wanted to sing it, even. And I think she must have been paid by the hour to sing the anthem.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t see the Shaka Khan performance of the National Anthem, but I heard excerpts this morning. Truly awful and disrespectful, IMO. Why do they always try to do the diva thing when they sing this song?

I watched the start of the Daytona 500, and the lady who sang that did an excellent job. Pretty voice, and sung it the way it was meant to be. No stupid extra notes or diva stuff. Just straight up and beautiful.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:43 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Chaka, Chaka, Chaka
      Chaka Khan
      Chaka Khan
      Chaka Khan
      Chaka Khan

Chaka Khan
      Let me rock you
      Let me rock you
      Chaka Khan

11:05 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I agree with you guys that it’s always better when they just sing it. Any time someone (of any talent level) tries to be creative they make it sound terrible, or they make it about themselves.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:12 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Entertainers and their event planners are out of control IMO. The Super Bowl halftime show reminded me of the Bible’s description of the party that took place while Moses was up on the mount before bringing down the 10 Commandments. Surely parents with young children were mortified.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:23 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Hear hear 4ever!

• 4everUKBlue
      11:27 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Maybe I’m just getting too old for all this, I had to turn the halftime show off.

11:30 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I never see the point of watching the half time show or of people saying their favorite thing is the commercials. It’s the end of football for months (unless the xfl succeeds). That other stuff is just a waste of time.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:32 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I stopped watching it after the planned ripping off of Janet Jackson’s bra cup by JT….until Petty and then I quit for good.

9. 4everUKBlue
    10:42 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of bad officiating….. Did anyone see the story above about Murray State player given technical foul for pointing at teammate, coach ejected? Something has to change!

10:45 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

So stupid. But will the refs be held accountable? (No.)

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Officiating is terrible all across college basketball.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I was confused; I watched Murray play Austin Peay, and didn’t know anything about it…but it was the Womens’ game.
      Officials are terrible; there is no consistency, and there’s a lot of showboating.
      I do watch a lot of Big 10 basketball, and they let the teams go at it; far fewer fouls called than the SEC. Reminds me of the early ’70’s when, then too, SEC refs called touch fouls. Then the SEC Champ would go to the NCAA tourney, and were not accustomed to the physical play.
      Something has to be done; incompetent officials are ruining the game.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:14 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

When will it be enough already? Something has to be done about it and I don’t accept Matt’s excuse for it when he said we used to complain they weren’t calling anything.

11:17 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I don’t remember people calling for them to call more fouls back in 2015 and before. Maybe Matt was, but I don’t think it was the equivalent of how fed up bball fans are this year.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I just want some freaking consistency in the officiating. They call games differently from one half to the next. A charge at one end is a block at the other (on the same type of play), they call touch fouls on EJ, Nick, and Sestina, but our guys get elbowed in the head and the refs are like “play on!” Just be consistent. That’s all I’m asking for.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:34 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I agree, I always get nervous when they call more fouls on our opponent in the first half because I know they’re going to stick it to us in the second.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Can Matt gargle and nose whistle at the same time? That would be, um, interesting.

10:56 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

That would create a frequency that could be used as a sonic weapon.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Dogs would howl for miles around.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Werewolves, too.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:26 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Werewolves would only howl in London….

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:31 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

It might not sound worse than the Chaka anthem.

• StillBP
      11:32 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

but would the wolfpack howl?

11. Realme
    11:10 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

If coach says he sees Atlanta coming, it’s coming!

12. J-Dub421
    11:11 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Props to the BBN for helping recruit the Big Dawg to stay. Most of our fans really are the best (with notable exceptions).

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully this doesn’t encourage crazy fans to contact coaches’ family members, though.

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Did they say which call had an impact on Big Dawg? Did I miss it?

11:28 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Someone who called from Michigan. Don’t actually remember the call, but good job to the caller.

Clutch it was pretty funny on Twitter, one of the Calipari girls was having fun with our fans bothering Marrow’s daughter, and also Megan and Bruce Pearl’s daughter found each other and were comparing notes. Speaking of Marrow’s daughter, there’s an older daughter that was celebrating because she looks better in blue and couldn’t imagine having to put on anything Michigan.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:31 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think so. I don’t know why they can’t if it was a phone call to a radio show as opposed to a direct message on Twitter or something. I guess they don’t want the caller to get all full of himself/herself and tell everyone they saved Vince.

“SAVE FERRIS!!!”

13. J-Dub421
    11:18 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m excited about Drennen (Donut) and Kalil Branham. I can’t wait to see what they can do.

11:23 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Branham is crazy serious about his game. His work ethic and dedication are through the roof, you could tell from his Twitter before he got here. IDK much about Drennen, but I like his confidence.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

I used to be skeptical, because how can you be 100% focused and working hard when you’re constantly making videos of everything you are doing? But I think Branham is going to be one of those overachievers for us.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:27 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed the Hoops win yesterday. Unlike the guys, they can actually hit the 3pt shots. Big win.

11:31 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

Forgot to watch again, but I think it’s better mojo if I’m not watching.

• StillBP
      11:35 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

seems to me like women bball in general is better at the 3…of course I haven’t looked at stats and could be completely wrong, this it totally just going off what I watch. Perhaps it has something to do w women not dunking (except for the rarity every now and then) so they practice the long ball more…IDK.

• JohnnyCat
      12:35 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Smaller ball & closer line play a big role.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:47 am February 17, 2020 Permalink

So glad to hear all the well-deserved recognition and accolades that Bam is getting. Great young man!