KSR Show Thread 2/15: Live at Don Franklin in Bardstown

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from Don Franklin Buick Chevrolet in Bardstown (120 W John Rowan Blvd). If you’re in the area, come on out for the chance to win tickets to Kentucky vs. Tennessee. If you’re not, just tune in and let the gang entertain you.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

52 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/15: Live at Don Franklin in Bardstown

1. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Is Tennessee really our rival? It seems that Western Kentucky is 17th on all-time winningest college basketball list; Tennessee is 42nd.
    WKU has been to more NCAA tournaments, and more NIT tournaments.
    WKU has been to one final four, UT has been to 0.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

A lot of UK fans also cheer for WKU when they aren’t playing each other. I don’t think that can be said when it comes to UT. So it’s not really an apples to apples comparison, imho.

• ClutchCargo
      10:17 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

^ I’m not counting those UK basketball/UT football weirdo fans, btw.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

One of my nieces graduated from UT; I cheer for them in the NCAA tournament…look how many times they have let me down, LOL.

• StillBP
      10:20 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I think a lot of fans consider them a rival. Any time large parts of a fan base hates another team there is a bit of a rivalry. I don’t hate UT but a lot of UK fans seem to. They’ve been far superior to us in football, we have been far superior in basketball. Doesn’t take championships to have a rivalry.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, that is the very definition of a bandwagon fan. Speaking of which, a lot was said about the number of dook fans who showed up at YUM for the UofL game. I am wondering what percentage of those were actual dook fans and how many of them were swinging from Zion’s jock.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Amazing Zion can jump that hight carrying such a handicap.

• UT is the 2nd winningest program in the conference (I guess they still are anyway), and I remember Joe B., and I think even Rupp, having trouble beating them in Knoxville when I was a kid, so there’s that.

• Clutch, don’t even get me started on the UK bball/UT football fans. There is a lady who used to get posted in the top 10 tweets a good bit. I often glance at folks’ Twitter accounts, and I saw on her account “UK bball & UT football fan!” After I would finish throwing up, I would post in the comments to NOT put her in the top 10 for that reason.

I don’t remember her handle so I don’t know if she still gets posted. I don’t look at folks’ accounts as much now.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:24 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

For the record, I don’t really think of them as a rival in basketball. And it’s probably silly to think of them as our rival in football, historically.

• StillBP
      10:29 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

yeah it definitely goes on both sides there. If they are not our bball rival, we are not their football rival. Lopsided Ws and Ls in those sports.

• cats646
      10:53 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I live right next to the Tennessee line. We’re rivals till the day I die. Fuk the vols!!

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, cats646. I don’t live that close to the state line, but my in-laws now live in the Nashville area, and UT is their adopted favorite team. So it’s kind of a big deal to me, too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:48 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Older daughter’s teammate’s family is all Vols, with the exception of one boy who is a token Gators fan. Bleaghhh! We have to beat them! I have a bet on the game.

• StillBP
      12:07 pm February 15, 2019 Permalink

my best friend and her family all went to UT and my best friend is a really great person so I can’t hate them. I wouldn’t say I cheer for them when they aren’t playing us, but I don’t mind them having success at all. She feels the same about UK, it’s an understanding we have.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:37 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

That story about Rivals being tricked into ranking a non-existent football prospect a 3 star was hilarious.

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s pretty obvious they just rely on the judgment of the of the top level coaching staffs. If they are being offered by those guys, they must be the best players.

• Yeah, that made me laugh.

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s also obvious that a lot of other top staffs just wait to see who the UK staff offers (because our staff is good at evaluating talent), and then offers those guys.

4. Realme
    10:39 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Anybody wanna go with me to Memorial and boo Bilas tomorrow?

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think there is an L in his name. How many times will he say Dook? Zion?

• I have never been in Memorial (only been in Rupp once), and I would LOVE to be there!

• StillBP
      11:16 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

you really going, Real? If so, making any signs?

• Yeah, you gotta let us know you’re there!

• Realme
      11:25 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m not really going. Seeing the place for the first time would be cool, but Game Day doesn’t do anything for me.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I would love to, but we have brunch plans (so I can be home for the game later).

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s a really cool old place, and it has come a long way with all the renovations and upgrades. When I was still in school at UK, Midnight Madness used to always be in Memorial. I always wished they could play a home game there every season. I didn’t care enough about the NIT game to go to that one.

• RealCatsFan
      11:34 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

If younger daughter didn’t have a tournament tomorrow, we would go! We have been to Memorial many times to watch UK Volleyball – lot’s of history in that place. They are supposed to do major updates to it soon, and I am bittersweet about it. Would be neat to have a new updated arena for UK Hoops and Volleyball, but at the same time you lose that cool old-school feeling and all the history. Can’t they find a way to update the bathrooms, concessions, seating, etc., and keep the inside like it was? Why do you think Cameron Indoor is so revered? Sometimes I wish UK had kept Memorial as their main arena, with the students down on the floor like Duke does. Do you think that would have made a big difference for game environments?

• ClutchCargo
      11:57 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Memorial lost a lot of its character when they expanded the basketball office area and took out all those seats in that end zone. Really, the concourse areas are the only part that needs work, best I can tell.

• StillBP
      12:08 pm February 15, 2019 Permalink

I watch the women play at Memorial frequently. I love the new big screen they finally put in.

• StillBP
      12:10 pm February 15, 2019 Permalink

RCF it would be sooo loud if our guys played there, which is great, but it would be silly to only sell 10,000 tix when you can sell twice as much at Rupp.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:40 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I watched Murray St last night; they were up two, and Austin Peay hit a shot at the buzzer. Yep they reviewed it at the monitor, and said it was after the buzzer. AP did NOT touch the ball on the rim…and so it goes.
    At least we get another rule change.

• LET’S GO PEAY!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t think the announcers had heard that before. One said, “I’m not going to comment on that cheer”. They were snickering like little kids.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

They would have really been cracking up if they had heard the chant they used back when Fly Williams was on the team. Fly is open, let’s go Peay! lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I remember when they had Fly Williams and Eddie Childress; we played them in the NCAA tournament, and we beat them by 5 or 6 points…both teams scored over 100.

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Back when I was a swimmer, at high school meets with Trinity (the Shamrocks), they would all huddle up and yell, “Swim like a Rock!” Lol.

• Haha. I didn’t know about that Clutch!

6. Here is a great video that was a look back at that Bama fan video. It’s the same guy years later, and commentary from the guy who shot the video:

7. RealCatsFan
    10:58 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Add to the lack of out-of-bounds play – lack of a press. Look at what dook did to Louisville after they started pressing them. Not only did it produce a lot of turnovers, but it jump-started the hustle and energy of the players in general. Think about if Cal had put an effective zone press on LSU when they started a run on us in the second half. Yes, their PG was good and could have neutralized a press, but hey, you don’t know if you don’t try. We needed something to get us jump-started, and a couple easy baskets off TO’s would have gone a long way.

• I remember Rod Rhodes being great at guarding the guy bringing the ball up the court while in the press. Maybe Ashton would be too.

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Ashton and UK wouldn’t get the benefit of the no-call. We would pick up fouls 92 feet from their basket.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I can remember WCS leading the press a few years ago. He was a truly impressive defender.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

I wish the competitive spirit that WCS had would manifest itself in SNR. Willie truly took it personally if he didn’t block someone’s shot.

8. J-Dub421
    11:33 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

They low down, they dirty, they some snitches. Beat Tennessee!

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

We have to be victorious against the orange pumpkin chuckers!

9. It hasn’t been that long? Matt, Patrick Ewing turned pro over 30 years ago!

10. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

This Anthony Davis situation is terrible. I’m losing a little respect for him with each act of this three ring circus.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am February 15, 2019 Permalink

Everyone involved has mishandled the situation, AD, his agent, The Pels, The Lakers….. The whole thing is a cluster-eff.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:06 pm February 15, 2019 Permalink

LeBron has been in his head on top of everything else, that alone bothers me.

• ClutchCargo
      1:49 pm February 15, 2019 Permalink

Yes, there is plenty of blame to go around. It’s not just AD. But his agent demanding a trade in the middle of the season kind of started all of this. And AD is better than just leaving the arena during a game like he did last night.

• ClutchCargo
      1:52 pm February 15, 2019 Permalink

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t really care about his agent, the Pels, and the Lakers. So I didn’t really have any respect or disrespect for them to start with.