KSR Show Thread 2/13: Turn on the show!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss the latest in the Vince Marrow situation, talk about last night’s big Survivor premiere party at KSBar and Grille, and look ahead to Saturday’s game vs. Ole Miss.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

114 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/13: Turn on the show!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Did Louisville win…NOOOOO.

• secrick
      10:10 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

No and lost to a 10 and 13 Team. Some weird coaching i thought..

10:11 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

The former #2 three-point shooting team in the country was nearly single digit percentage last night. It was so bad that their center decided to join the clankfest late in the game.

10:11 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Who beat them? I’m too lazy too google.

10:12 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

The NCAA Seeding Nahtzi says ‘NO number one seed for YOU!!”

(Intentional mis-spelling to thwart the Russian modbot)

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Georgia Tech.

10:17 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Georgia tech basically had them beat in YUM the last time they played, but let them sneak away with the win.

10:38 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Louisville fans are sounding a bit like UK fans talking about slow starts and letting our foot off the gas. The Johnson kid is a really good freshman, but I wouldn’t take him over Maxey. No way.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Louisville losing is generally funny to me.

• StillBP
      11:05 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

oh look, j-Dub can respond again. woohoo!

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I had to switch browsers entirely.

2. Realme
    10:08 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

UGH KSR has me worried enough to have checked Twitter before bed last night and as soon as I got up today. Losing the Big Dawg would be almost like losing Cal. He’s the program’s swagger.

10:09 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Fingers and toes crossed…

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Can’t let this happen.

10:13 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Yep, Barney better get the checkbook out and share some of that SEC money.

3. cats646
    10:13 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Thatโ€™s it! Someone find Marrows phone number, Iโ€™m offering him money out of my pocket!!!!!!!! WE CANNOT LOSE HIM!!!

10:16 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

WHAT?? I missed most of what Matt was saying. Is he saying that Barney is being a tightwad?

10:18 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Matt is stressing me out so bad. Glad he’s putting the pressure on UK to fix it though. He should never have been that far down the list as far as pay rate for important non-coordinators.

• cats646
      10:18 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

He just said that Mich. St. is wanting to make him the highest paid non- OC/DC coach in the country! Iโ€™m actually worried.

10:19 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

RCF he said there are a lot of equivalent coaches put there that make more than Vince. I forget the exact number.
      Not okay.

10:19 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

(*&%$ *&*&^^%!!!!!

*out there

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

But what mistakes is he talking about? I know how much MSU is offering. Is Mitch not coming off the dime?

And of COURSE the coordinators were going to want more. It’s just like raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour (or even worse, $22 like Tom Steyer wants). All of a sudden you’re paying cashiers management or assistant management wages (at least in some businesses), so guess who else has to get a raise?

10:25 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Matt said he’ll talk about the “mistakes” if it happens.

10:33 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I think there is a lot of had wringing and freaking out going on that may not be justified. They are acting like UK has just treated the Big Dawg like garbage and now we’re going to lose him to somebody who is going to treat him right. What?? He’s done a great job and some other school wants to try to get him. That’s just how it works.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:39 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

So it’s another “I’ve got a secret I may or may not share with you”?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:39 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m trusting in Mitch to do whatever it takes, if he lets us down I’ll be on his lawn with a pitchfork.

10:44 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I am fully aware that Matt likes things to be dramatic because click$ and rating$, but I am eating it up this time. I can’t help it.

10:46 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I mean, I’m worried too. But the reasons being given to justify all the worrying just seem a little over the top. Just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong.

10:47 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

And I know you have a lot riding on this, Realme. You would have to change your avatar, after all.

10:50 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha true!

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:18 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Not to break up all the Vince talk, but Auburn won yet ANOTHER overtime game last night. If we get up on them by 10 or so again, or even 20, we HAVE to keep the proverbial foot on the proverbial neck.

10:21 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Please let this be the game where they finally start to put teams away. No slowing down the pace Cal! Oops am I still in the wolfpack? Rawr.

10:35 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Auburn has superceded Tennessee as my most disliked SEC team.

10:36 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I would say most of on here are members of that wolfpack, RM. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But hey, at least we’re not like BP and charter members of the Cal Lovers Club. Or whatever he calls them.

• CrystalBall
      10:49 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Thinking about changing my name to Wolfgang Wolfpack.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:36 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Werewolves in London…Kentucky?

BTW, I forgot to mention it was ironic that Mark Buerger (sp?) mentioned Warren Zevon in his farewell address since KSR uses that as the intro song.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

And, Auburn was at home. And, yes you’re right, RM. Continue to run the offense, play the opponent, not the clock.
      When you get them down, you have to kick them.

10:40 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

It’s also ironic that songs like “Bad Moon rising” and “Blue Moon” made the soundtrack for “An American Werewolf in London”, but “Werewolves of London”, did not. Must have been some issue with copyright or royalties.

• StillBP
      11:09 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

ha cc! I’m going to consider myself the President of the now defunct Cal Lovers Bitches Club. Since we’ve moved on to the Wolfpack, I’m just a charter member but I don’t know about Lead Wolf…that might be 4ever

11:16 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

We do probably need an alpha. Any of you that regularly shuts down the morons is deserving. ๐Ÿ™‚

• 4everUKBlue
      11:18 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I really need to learn to ignore that tool. Does anyone have any idea who his team is? Because he’s definitely not a UK fan.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:26 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

BP you’re much better at it than me, I just get angry and say mean hateful things, you’re much better at subtlety than me.

11:32 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I put forth my theory that he is actually Rick Pitino. After all, who else would hate Cal so much and have that much time on his hands?

• StillBP
      11:34 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

ha thanks 4ever. I’m trying to ignore him more and respond less, so I don’t want to be lead wolf. I guess we’ll just proceed without a leader, we can just consider Cal our lead wolf…I mean he just rolls the ball out and doesn’t coach, he might as well lead the wolfpack without actually leading ๐Ÿ™‚

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Gotta love the stupidity of him showing up late yesterday to gloat because we were talking about him. When everyone thinks you’re a pathetic, stupid, loser it’s really not anything to brag about…

11:38 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

BP is like an All-SEC nose tackle who keeps those blockers/trolls busy so they have less time to annoy the rest of us.

• StillBP
      11:43 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

haha BP has a desk job with very little work to do right now and too much time on the internet! That’s why I typically post mostly during work hours…it’s like getting paid to fight trolls. I will comment at night some, but I won’t spend much of my personal time arguing w irrational idiots.

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I deliberately provoke the trolls sometimes so they’ll come after me and not the regular posters. I’m a big girl, I can take it.

5. Realme
    10:26 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Is it a wolf pack like normal animal wolves, or are we werewolves (way cooler) that love Cal?

10:33 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Well, Matt plays the theme song, so I’m going for werewolves.

10:34 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

And being a part of a wolfpack is WAY cooler than being the overlord of the minions up in the moronosphere like wrongeous1. ๐Ÿ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:37 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Ha! Y’all beat me to it. Again, that’s what I get for not reading all recent comments before posting.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

“In winter the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.” Eddard Stark
      I watched Game of Thrones, I know how this works. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. 4everUKBlue
    10:29 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

If you haven’t taken the time to read the piece on Bam above, do yourself a favor and read it, especially those who say Cal doesn’t develop players. See if you can read it without getting something in your eye….

10:33 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Will do. Can’t believe he’s an all star already.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:37 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

That piece being on ESPN, which is unusual for a KY player, should help recruiting if recruits read it. He’s such a good dude.

10:45 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know he had that much attitude. Love it.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I plan on reading it over lunch when I have a few minutes. I can reply again!!

10:51 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Woooooo!

• 4everUKBlue
      10:54 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I had no idea how he was raised, what an uplifting story.

7. J-Dub421
    10:35 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Pay Vince Marrow whatever it takes to keep him.

8. Bluehender
    10:35 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure they have no idea who Diana Ross and the Supremes are…gosh I’m old..

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:38 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I think the Ronettes were better.

• Bluehender
      10:44 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Well maybe I’m not THAT old, I remember hearing of the Ronettes but I couldn’t name one of their songs. But I’m sure I’ve heard one or two. Did they have a lead singer who left them?

• 4everUKBlue
      10:53 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I liked the Rosettes a lot but not as good as the Supremes for me.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Veronica Bennett (Ronnie Spector) was lead singer. They opened for the Beatles in their last tour. Hits, “Be My Baby” and “Walking In The Rain”.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:01 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

And Ronnie Spector sang a snippet from “Be My Baby” on Eddie Money’s “Take Me Home Tonight”. Eddie was one of my favorites, and apparently he was a very cool dude in addition to being talented.

• Bluehender
      11:01 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

For me it was the Supremes as well..thanks rg, yes I’ve heard some their songs. Eddie Money struck gold with Ronnie Spector..

• Bluehender
      11:05 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I see Eddie Money in English Park in Owensboro. They had a local contest for a girl to sing Ronnie Spector’s part in that song. The girl who won was really good, as I remember. It was a great show..

• Bluehender
      11:05 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Saw..

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

BTW, Cher sang back-up vocals on “Be My Baby”, not that they needed any back-up singers. Cher also sang back-up on Righteous Bro “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling”.

11:09 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Eddie was formerly a police officer. He personified the dream of the blue collar man hitting it big in rock n roll.

9. Realme
    10:51 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Matt is such a girl. Listening to Beyonce on the elliptical. In public.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:55 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I would never admit that, in fact I would deny it at all costs.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

At least it was Beyoncรฉ and not Conway Twittyโ€ฆ.

10:58 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Saying the Conway Twitty lyrics out loud and imitating his voice might get Matt thrown out of the gym. lol

11:10 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I would probably take that one to the grave with me too, but Matt is a noted metrosexual, so he lives by a different set of rules. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Realme
    10:58 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Wow that was a change in tone. Now Matt is all, we might have news soon, it’s gonna be alright… “hopefully.” Such a dumb roller coaster.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:03 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

What did he specifically say? I missed the first few of the show. I tuned in with him saying “…with the mistakes that were made…” or some such. I know he didn’t say what mistakes, but what was the intro to that whole thing?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

4ever, if you like that, this video is awesome (Ohio Players and “Fire” on The Midnight Special):

11:11 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I used to love listening to that song on WAKY as a kid. ๐Ÿ™‚

11:13 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

The usual vagueness Chris, he didn’t say anything else besides what’s already mentioned on here, just with a lot of urgency and drama. I think maybe Matt was directly trying to help Vince out here by putting them on the spot. IDC, whatever it takes.

11:15 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

When you talk about roller coasters, I think of my favorite scene in the movie “Parenthood”. And yes, I am definitely the uptight Steve Martin character in real life.

11:15 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Well, if Matt putting pressure on Barney to pay the man is all that is keeping him from bolting to MSU, then I’m worried all over again.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:21 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I always liked the Ohio Players CG.

• StillBP
      11:22 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Matt is affecting Barney’s decision making in the least. I’m sure Mitch had all intentions of matching MI ST offer before Matt started in about it. KSR did recently post the update saying we “essentially” matched their offer.

11:26 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

He was pushing really hard this morning. Usually when he does that, it’s so his many followers (there’s listeners, and then there’s his followers, who love to obey his instructions) will make a fuss (like with the sports gambling).

11:26 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I actually agree, BP. I’m just playing along and going with the logic that Matt is making a difference in this. We didn’t get to this point as a football program (since the Stoops era began) by constantly screwing up personnel decisions. All the past dumb football personnel stuff is what caused UK to have to build this thing in the first place.

11:28 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Cough cough, Joker, cough…

• StillBP
      11:36 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

oh cc, I see. Well in that case, you were probably correct and I was wrong. Matt is responsible for all good things that happen to UK and none of the bad things except the KSR curse ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Realme
    11:15 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I think that shirt was a small dig, but am not sure why we are supposed to care what JemaRl wears.

11:16 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I don’t really give a shiRt what t-shirt an Arizona player wears.

• StillBP
      11:23 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

agree, who cares? He wasn’t even alive when that game was played, he probably hasn’t even watched a replay.

11:26 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Hard to believe that we were soooo close to a three-peat. That hurts!

11:27 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Now if he had transferred to dook and wore a Laettner jersey, THEN I would have a problem with it!

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Did Arizona even make a bucket in OT? They’ve won only the one title, so I guess I would have a t-shirt made, too.
      BTW, people in Northern Indiana pronounce oil as “oiRl”.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

That was the title AZ stole from us with the help of the refs. They shot 41 free throws to our 17. AZ shot 17 free throws in overtime alone and did not score a single field goal in OT. The refs literally handed them that title.

11:43 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

My aunt used to pronounce it “oral”. I have a theory that all of the R’s left the northeast and migrated down to the deep south.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, J-D, I thought I remembered no AZ FG’s in OT.

• J-Dub421
      11:48 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Anthony Epps drilled a three at the buzzer to send us to OT. It was a beautiful shot.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:48 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Some in Bama say โ€œawlโ€.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Matt saying “rrrruuurrrrrraaalll” sounds like an elephant seal’s mating call.

13. Realme
    11:30 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I hate when the person in front of me reclines too, get out of my face. But that’s the way they’re designed, unfortunately.

11:33 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

When that happens, it’s time to also recline I guess.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get why airline seats recline at all. They only recline about an inch. What’s the point?

14. ClutchCargo
    11:30 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I have often thought that being a 7 footer who isn’t good enough to play pro basketball and isn’t rich would be a terrible existence.

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I know a doctor that is 6’8″. He has a t-shirt that says, “No, I don’t play basketball, do you play miniature golf”.

11:43 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

So, to a midget, is it miniature golf or just golf?

11:44 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

It’s regular golf, but they have really big balls.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I always wonder about that when I’m in some hotel shower with a really low showerhead. If I have to practically be a contortionist to fit under the showerhead at 5’9″, what do really tall people do? Also, short people can fit under a tall shower, but not vice versa. Put the showerhead higher.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:47 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

I know a tall man who said he always would reply โ€œNo, are you a jockey?โ€

11:48 am February 13, 2020 Permalink

Way off-topic, but part of the Cal father/son camp is taking a tour of the players’ dorm. It’s crazy to see the shower room with the shower heads so high up. The whole place is built for 7′ people, including the furniture.

12:03 pm February 13, 2020 Permalink

Friend of mine I used to work with was about 5’1. He had an athletic build, and one year he grew a little mustache which made him look vaguely Hispanic. So one year we were hanging around at the Derby Festival Chow wagon downtown drinking beer, and he had a couple of little teeny-bopper girls convinced that he was a jockey who was going to ride in the Derby. He even faked an accent, and one of them got his fake autograph. ๐Ÿ˜€