KSR Show Thread 2/12: Cats win and the latest on Vince Marrow

Β© Jim Brown | USATSI

© Jim Brown | USATSI

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s second half rally to beat Vanderbilt and give you the latest on whether or not Vince Marrow will leave Kentucky to join Mel Tucker’s staff at Michigan State.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

89 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/12: Cats win and the latest on Vince Marrow

1. Realme
    10:01 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Holy crap. I must be super old if Josh Harrelson is 31 today (Larry said it on the Leach Rpt).

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Older than the trees, younger than the mountains?

• Realme
      10:08 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Well, hopefully not a huge tree.

10:13 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Growing like a breeze…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m a big John Denver fan. He had some silky smooth tunes, including that one.

10:48 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Listening to John Denver makes me nauseous. I’m just playing along. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:07 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

HOW *DARE* YOU???!!! Haha.

2. Realme
    10:10 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t ever feel like we were going to lose last night either.

10:13 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Same. I was way more annoyed with how we were playing than worried that we wouldn’t come back.

• StillBP
      10:15 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

me either but I did have to watch something else for a bit and come back to it. I always dvr and start about 30 mins late. I catch up by halftime and have to stall a bit after that. When its hard to watch, I skip forward 30 secs and keep an eye on the score

10:20 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I do that DVR thing, too. But I don’t check the real-time score unless I’m just done with seeing a bunch of bad play and I strongly suspect they’re going to lose.

10:21 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

After all the other comebacks we have had, I was less worried than in the past, but the fact that they beat LSU by 9 was in the back of my head. I was very relieved when their hot streak began to cool. At times it looked like we were shooting on one of those oval state fair midway hoops, and they had one that was 24″ diameter.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I said yesterday we would have to guard the 3 line, and we didn’t in the 1st half…much better in the 2nd half.

3. Realme
    10:11 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Mich St can take all their many cases of rapeyness and eff off.

• StillBP
      10:12 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

now OH State has 2 football players charged with rape. Big 10 needs to get it together.

• Realme
      10:14 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Before that gymnastics, before that basketball… Why hasn’t title IX dismantled their athletics by now?

10:15 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like the Big Dog is going to get an even bigger bone tossed his way. Maybe a big, juicy steak. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Degenerate culture, and cold weather…nope.

10:16 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

This Mich. St. thing has me less concerned than Youngstown St. This would be a lateral move at best, and we’re this close to seeing the rebuild (build?) come to fruition.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:16 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Man, I guess we just have to make Vince the first 2.5 million dollar non-coordinator in the country. That’s what Bo Pellini is getting at LSU (I’ve read 2.5 and 2.3, but what’s another $200,000 to you and me???).

10:18 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

HaHa rg, please elaborate on the “degenerate culture”. One of my best friends is from Lansing, and I need some ammunition. πŸ™‚

10:25 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Pervasive sexual abuse scandals, RCF. It seems to be a tradition like no other in the Big-however many freakin’ schools there are now Conference.

10:27 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Doh! I should have known that! I was thinking something along the lines of a Hunter S. Thompson kind of vibe.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

So I’ll answer a question that was posed to me after I had to log out yesterday:
    From Realme: “Chris! What happened with Mark Buerger / SMST? Leach brought the show back and he decided not to stay?”

Yeah, I was listening to the podcast that afternoon, and he came back for 1 more show and at the VERY END announced he was leaving. He mentioned something about having enjoyed the time off & spending it with family (some previous Sundays I think, not just the one right after the show got cancelled). He mentioned Warren Zevon going on Letterman after he was diagnosed with cancer and that Zevon said “Enjoy every sandwich”, then Mark got choked up and told us all to “Enjoy every sandwich”.

• Realme
      10:16 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I guess good for him, but I don’t think the show will work now. The other 3 are too mild. Need a ranter / leader.

• Realme
      10:17 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for the explanation, I just kept seeing Larry say he would miss him and was confused, especially after listening to the beginning of the show where he was thanking Tom for bringing them back.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Mark was very funny, and he and I are fellow long-suffering Bengal fans who still can’t get over having been THIS close to 2 Super Bowl wins but losing.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

MashburnFan and Wrongeous1 were nowhere to be found last night after UK made their comeback. Wonder if they woke up in a major spoon storm this morning?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Where in the world did he get that nickname for those of us he perceives as Cal sycophants? He calls us the “Cal lover wolfpack” or some such. Is it a reference to the NWO Wolfpack (that’s a rasslin’ thing)?

• StillBP
      10:44 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

He used to call us something along the lines of Cal Loving Bitches (or whatever) but when I told him I’m a female and asked if ‘bitches’ was supposed to be an insult he changed our name to wolfpack LOL

• 4everUKBlue
      10:50 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Someone needs to tell him the wolfpack is NC St.

10:53 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

He’s grasping for anything to get under peoples’ skin.

6. J-Dub421
    10:24 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get why people like Trashburn and Wrongeous1 want to run their mouths when we start poorly. We’ve started slow most of this season and usually come back. Why freak out if it’s happening again? We’ll come back in the second half, so chill. Of course, both are stupid and hate Coach Cal, so neither will ever give him credit for all the halftime adjustments and comebacks (or for player development).

10:27 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

That’s just how trolls operate. To them it’s worth getting a shot in early, just in case we don’t come back and then they can laugh at all the pissed off real fans. Or just disappear if we do come back and win.

• Realme
      10:27 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes I wonder what these idiots thought at the beginning of this era. People used to call local shows and say the 2009-10 team should be called the Comeback Cats, because they would do the same thing. When we are all just thrilled to be relevant again, and to go back to the final four the next year, were some people so angry about doing well then? I don’t remember.

10:29 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

And it’s not like we are the only team that is having slow starts and big first half deficits. I think it happens more often than not this year. Guess it’s all the parity. Basically, it seems like if you have a big first half lead you need to be VERY worried.

• StillBP
      10:46 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

since Wrongous couldn’t use his typical ‘Cal doesn’t make adjustments, he can’t coach’ he went with ‘Cal can only make adjustments against bad teams’ HAHAHAHAHA it’s trying so hard to find something to complain about, I’m guessing his life is miserable.

• Realme
      10:54 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, what a nut.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:57 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

It had never dawned me what a hypocrite mashbumfan is until last night. He was making fun of our fans for using the floor design as an excuse for our poor play while at the same time making excuses for Vanderbilt. Then I realized he’s been doing that on a regular basis.

• Realme
      11:00 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t Mashbum the one who makes stupid Bball arguments, and then defends football complaints with the opposite logic?

• StillBP
      11:01 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

This is Wrongous1’s comment after we won. How hard must he work to find complaints?

Well Cal Lovers Wolfpack I see that the assistant coaches for Ambassador Calipari made some good adjustments in the 2nd half! You can do this against a team that has won 1 conference game in 2 yrs but not against good teams!

I noticed that Michigan State is not ranked in the AP 25 this week after being #1 to start the season. Can you name the last time that happened? If you guessed Ambassador Calipari in the 13/14 season, then it would be β€œWinner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!!

In Cal We Trust It’s NBA or Bust!

• StillBP
      11:01 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

and yes, rm, mashburnfan does that about basketball/football. wrongous does too

• StillBP
      11:02 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

and then later he said: We shall see Cal Lovers Wolfpack about the crying in the next month! I can hardly wait to go on the attack!!!!!

He can’t wait until we lose so he can talk smack on KSR. How pitiful is your life if that’s what you “can’t wait” for??

11:13 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I still haven’t figured out if he is an actual disgruntled UK fan who is living in the past, or a troll from another fan base pretending to be a UK fan.

I had an early theory that it was actually Rick Pitino, because of his hatred for Cal, but he was still posting while RP was living in Greece, and I think Ricky had other things on his mind at that point. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:14 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I didn’t know he used to use that term.

• StillBP
      11:21 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

even if you’re disgruntled, but deep down that’s still your team, don’t you want them to win? Wanting a team to lose just so you can argue on message boards tells me you are not a real fan of that team.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Nah, I think he’s a UL fan or something.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:24 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I still think Wrongous1 is really Slater because you know Slater didn’t just go away and he has he same tenacity as Wrongous1. I don’t believe for a second that he is retired.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

What is up with espn not showing Kansas vs West Virginia tonight? Bama vs Auburn, VCU vs George Mason, and UConn vs SMU?
    Have they lost their minds? Good chance to see Kansas go down since it’s in Morgantown.

8. Realme
    10:39 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

The fact that they are offering him a million makes me want to hurl. Mitch better work some magic.

10:54 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

That part is troubling if true.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Part of me wants to feel a little sorry for Vandy, since they are so pathetic last year. But then I remember back when they had The Meathead coaching them, and the way he used to whine all the time. And Stackhouse is a former Tarhole, so I kind of have to hold that against him. Oh well, eff ’em. πŸ™‚

10:58 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Vanderbilt Med Center, but screw their football and basketball teams. They exist to be beaten up by the rest of the SEC. Stackhouse seems ok, for a Tarhole.

11:00 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

A lot was made about Stackhouse never saying anything while on the sidelines the fist time we played them. He let loose on the refs a couple of times last night, and I actually heard him speak in a presser after the game. Mostly generic coach-speak.

11:04 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

What was he supposed to say, really? They were playing well enough to keep it close and it was just a matter of time before we woke up and put them away. It was a little odd to see him so calm, though.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:12 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Don’t forget he played with Rasheed Wallace when Wallace purposely elbowed Andre Riddick in the temple and got Walter McCarty thrown out of that Elite 8 game that we may have won otherwise.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:13 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

And yes, we were good enough to win the whole thing that year.

11:15 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

That was basically the nucleus of the team that dominated the next year and brought home the title in 96.

11:15 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m not really mad at UNCheat for that one, either. They did what they had to do to win and advance, as much as I hated to see it.

11:16 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m mad because they were probably cheating back then as well.

11:32 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Well, in hindsight… that’s almost certainly true.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

IMO, the thing that keyed our run was moving the ball better with passing, rather than dribbling around and trying to score one-on-one. I think we only had 2 or 3 assists at the point where we were down 14.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Matt should know better than to use “NCAA” and “smart” in the same sentence.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, blast from my high school past with that AC/DC tune Shannon came up with. πŸ˜€

13. J-Dub421
    10:53 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Here you go RCF, there is a significant culture of hiding rapes (and other crimes) by athletes at Michigan State. It’s still happening, and it goes way deeper than the horrific Larry Nassar case.

14. Realme
    10:56 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

How do these morons NOT hate Wisconsin?

10:59 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I dislike UConn much more strongly than Wisconsin. They have won several titles, and their coach was a known cheater who went unpunished. He was a grumpy old codger as well. And they knocked us out of at least two very possible national titles.

11:01 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t really hate Wisconsin. Just a couple of those goofy looking guys who ruined our unbeaten season. I’m more aggravated that we didn’t get it done against that team that had no business beating us.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:10 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Radios are turning off everywhere after he started talking about the McCain-Feingold bill.

15. J-Dub421
    10:58 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I feel like “wolfpack” is kind of a compliment…

11:02 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, that’s what I thought of too! And that movie is just as funny the 10th time that you watch it as it was the first time.

16. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Anyone following the 8th grader averaging 26 pts/game for Lyon County? Averaged 21/game last year as a 7th grader.
    I have to go see this kid play.

17. J-Dub421
    11:21 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I dislike Wisconsin now. They basically lucked out and had two good seasons, and now their fans think they’re on the same level as UK and Duke. They’re not. It was fun stealing Tyler Herro from them last year. They’re still salty about it.

• Realme
      11:26 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

That’s more like it.

11:37 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it was nice to steal Tyler Herro and listen to them whine. But I truly don’t care enough about them to hate, or even dislike them all that much. I’m kind of like that with Louisville, to a much lesser extent. Mouthy fans are one thing, but that’s more about me being annoyed with those individuals than anything else. I don’t work with or live near any obnoxious U6 fans these days, so take that FWIW.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m going to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but the song that Shannon just played sounds exactly like ALL of the other songs that my kids listen to. I honestly don’t know how they can tell one from another.

And admittedly, my parents probably thought the same thing when I was listening to Zeppelin, the Beatles, Aerosmith, Synyrd, Hendrix, Yes, Stones, The Who, etc.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Fuddy Duddys rock; the groups you mentioned all had great guitarists and could actually sing. Rap artists are just like people who won’t shut up…annoying.

19. Realme
    11:47 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Lyin’ dog faced pony soldier would make a nice screen name.

20. Righteous1
    11:51 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Well the Cal Lovers Wolfpack is certainly out in force today. Also, some charter members of the Loyal Cal Bitches Club as well! It is so nice of so many people for the kind comments toward me. There is not much season left for Ambassador Calipari to satisfy their starvation to praise him especially when no Final Four will be achieved for the 5th straight year! See all of you real soon!!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Beetlejuice is here; now you people have done it.

• Realme
      11:55 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

11:59 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

Still waiting for your list of qualified coaches to replace Calipari. Coaches who would actually take the job and can handle the fishbowl and the pressure that the job entails. Don’t bitch if you can’t offer up a solution.

12:01 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

and you forgot about the part where Cal says draft night is the greatest night in the history of UK basketball.

12:07 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

BTW, it looks like you are a charter member of the “I Have No Life if UK Doesn’t Win a Championship Club”. Those must be some miserable monthly meetings. Is your buddy MashburnFan a charter member too?

• StillBP
      12:58 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

hahaha now he’s finally out of his hole…or our of mashburnfan1’s hole

• StillBP
      12:58 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

*out of mashburnfan1’s hole

21. Righteous1
    12:31 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

I have put out a coaching list before. Obviously, you did not pay attention. Oh Yes, In Cal We Trust It’s NBA or Bust!

I am so glad that I am on a lot of minds today. I feel the true warmth from the Cal Lovers Wolfpack!

• StillBP
      12:57 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

anything we can do to make your life seem worthwile. Lord knows you seem like a miserable human being, so if us talking about you makes you feel good, I’m glad I could be helpful to you! Thoughts and prayers still headed your way. Oh, and your list of replacements suck, glad you didn’t bother with that drivel again!

1:00 pm February 12, 2020 Permalink

Forgive me for not memorizing it. I’m sure all of us should have a copy of it to carry around in our wallet. That warmth you are feeling is the afterglow from yet another UK victory!