KSR Show Thread 2/11: The Ryan and Drew Show

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Ryan and Drew take over the show while Matt’s still in New York. They’ll be joined by Kyle Tucker in hour one and Michael Bennett in hour two. Tune in or miss out!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

88 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/11: The Ryan and Drew Show

1. Realme
    10:02 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Are we sure Tom Crean is too nice to have a bag man on staff? So weird to watch him throw his players under the bus in such an insulting way, and then get the #1 recruit a day or two later.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:09 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I think he’s just a selfish player who wants to be “the man”, can’t get away with that here.

• Realme
      10:10 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

But how do they not see that 9 times out of 10 that doesn’t work and they have a miserable year doing that?

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Being nice and having a bag man is probably a great way to do it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I know nothing about the kid, but these swings and misses look like a good thing in hindsight more often than not with Cal.

• StillBP
      10:14 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

He was basically saying he shouldn’t have kept the ones he didn’t recruit, so I guess the comments didn’t really bother this guy since he was actually recruiting him.

• Realme
      10:16 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I’m not complaining that he didn’t pick us. Cal will get the right guys for UK. I just don’t get playing for that creep at a losing program.

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I have no words. Letter is all I can muster: WTF!!

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Maybe the SEC is finally good enough as a conference that the bottom-feeder programs like UGA can recruit the way we used to: “Come play in the SEC and get lots of playing time.”

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:19 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Yeah clearly he didn’t belong at Kentucky, but why play for Tom Creep?

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

^ LIke we used to in football, that is.

10:20 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I just can’t imagine wasting your year in college on a crap team that probably won’t make the NCAA tournament. Georgia is bad, and one dude isn’t going to suddenly make them a contender.

• Clutch, I saw your comment on the other thread. I agree some of the comments are a little over the top, especially when aimed at a guy who’s 17 or 18 years old.

I didn’t know about his mom and grandmother passing away in the same year. That is extremely sad, and if that is part of his reasoning for staying close to home (I didn’t watch the announcement…I just saw that in the comments), I totally get that. However, the Wade/Olidipo thing is a head scratcher.

I am in the camp that says “At least it wasn’t Duke or UNCheat!”

• J-Dub, as RCF indicated below, we tried to tell Harris & Wills to come be a hometown hero, but they both said “NOPE!”

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:30 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

But if they had played at UK they wouldn’t have had a chance to win a national title, Harris was pretty much guaranteed a shot at a championship at Bama.

10:34 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I can understand football players going to Alabama though. They’ll play for a title pretty much every year, and are likely to win at least one while in school.

Georgia basketball isn’t winning a title. They’ve only been to one Final Four ever, and that was back in 1983.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Is UGA an Adidas school by chance?

• That made Hugh Durham the first coach to take 2 different teams to the FF. Next was Pitino and then Cal I think, and I think they’re the only 3.

10:54 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Georgia is 1-9 in conference and 10-13 overall. Blech. And no, they’re a Nike school.

• No RCF, they’re Nike.

10:57 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Cal and Pitino are the only coaches to take 3 different teams to the Final Four. That’s what makes Pitino’s fall so shocking. He really was a great coach.

• Oh yeah, 3 for them. Duh on me!

Hugh was the first to do it with 2 though. He did it with FSU. I think he was their coach when UK beat them in the 78 tourney. That was the famous Hall benching the starters and putting in the subs at the start of the 2nd half game. That also may have been the game where Hall told the players that if they blew it they would be known as “The Folding Five”. RG would have to confirm that but he is apparently operating on a brain or a spine today.

• mashburnfan1
      11:37 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Actually did they not strip those records from UMass and Memphis. So really Cal only has the UK Final 4’s. Can’t claim the cheating wins. Much like U6 did not get a title a few years ago.

• Realme
      11:39 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I hate when I accidentally read a mashburnfan1 comment, because I didn’t look to see who was talking first.

11:43 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

The wins happened. We all saw them.

• StillBP
      12:08 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

hahahaha Real…comment of the day right there!

2. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I am completely sick of this “hometown hero” crap with basketball recruiting. Why doesn’t it apply equally with football recruiting?

• No kidding. That didn’t work for us with Damien Harris or Jedrick Wills. We did get Couch & Dennis Johnson years ago, but Couch was about to transfer to UT when Curry let Elliot Uzelak put him in the option, but then CM hired Mumme.

• Wade
      10:26 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Bc it doesnโ€™t! A lot of football players! Not a lot of basketball players! Football 3 years , basketball 1 yr! CLasses matter for football, basketball no!

• You make a valid point Wade, but it didn’t work for Malik Newman. Maybe he’s the outlier though. I dunno.

• Wade
      12:25 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

He still could have went overseas, football still canโ€™t!

10:35 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Newman transferred to Kansas after a year.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:38 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Then was undrafted and is now in the G League.

• That was my point J-Dub. He stayed home and flamed out. But, going to a non blue blood program worked out for Trae Young and Ben Simmons I guess.

• Wade
      12:26 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

And everyone at ky

11:01 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Young hasn’t done much in the NBA so far. Simmons has been pretty good, but benefits from playing with Embiid.

11:02 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Zimmerman stayed home to play for UNLV and has flamed out. Markelle Fultz isn’t lighting the world on fire either.

• Realme
      11:09 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Cough Romeo Langford cough.

• I had totally forgotten about Zimmerman. Fultz still went #1 in the draft though, so *if* that’s Edwards’ goal, he still may do it.

11:21 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

He’ll likely still get drafted high. However, Fultz just got traded because he’s been so awful. How often does the #1 overall pick get traded within two years if they’re actually good?

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I’m not in the camp to say that Cal has “lost his touch” with recruiting, but we have slipped a bit from pre-2015. My burning question – will it take UK winning another title under Cal while Duke flames out before the FF for Cal to get back to that level again? Or is it just part of the natural ebb and flow with recruiting?

3. ClutchCargo
    10:21 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Clearly he just wanted to stay home and be a star at the home state school. There is no way Crean is pulling in the #1 recruit from several states away.

4. J-Dub421
    10:21 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

On another note, Kyle Tucker’s voice doesn’t sound like I thought it would.

5. J-Dub421
    10:31 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Random thoughts on the game:

PJ scored at an impressive rate, but needs to rebound more. I think that’s why Cal said he reverted.
    EJ had another good game. He grabbed 7 rebounds and made some great hustle plays at the end of the game.
    Tyler Herro is a killer, and I like it. I like Drew’s term of STFU on his big shots on the road, that’s apropos.
    Keldon had a good, well-rounded game. He’s also a killer.
    Ashton bounced back and had a good game, 8 points and 9 assists.
    Reid did Reid things, made tough shots, played good defense, and gobbled up rebounds.
    Quickley and Baker had quiet games offensively, but played solid defense when they were in.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I love that Baker is a more rounded player than any of us thought. His defense is very solid, even though he doesn’t make the highlight plays like Hagans.

10:43 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Our defense has become solid and disciplined across the board, which wins championships. Just sayin’.

6. J-Dub421
    10:46 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

We did not blow the lead against MSU. They raised the level of their game and punched us in the mouth. We took that hit and punched back, then clawed out the win.

• Realme
      10:49 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. Made for a great basketball game.

7. J-Dub421
    10:49 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Ha! If Grant Williams didn’t like playing against PJ, wait until we throw Reid at him too. Have fun with the two headed beast Grant!

• Realme
      10:50 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Well somebody has to deal with Schofield.

• Suit Kash Daniel & Josh Paschal up for the UT games like RG said Rupp did when he played some footballers as enforcers. Then Kash would be a 3 sport star.

11:00 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

PJ and Keldon can take Schofield.

8. Realme
    10:52 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Pretending like Matt got married and now bringing Michael Bennett on. Ryan is trying to get fired.

10:58 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I can’t wait to hear Matt when he comes back after Ryan said he eloped. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s going to be epic.

• It’s like when Barney told everyone that Andy was getting married when he wasn’t. Ryan, have the whole town there to congratulate them like Barney did!

• Realme
      11:10 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I made sure to text my congrats.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Yep, BBN needs to blow up Matt’s phone with fake congrats.

• Realme
      11:18 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

But don’t lol it. Act like you’re serious.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:21 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

What’s the number to text Matt?

• Realme
      11:22 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

(859) 300-3264

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:23 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Thanks Realme, I’m on it!

• StillBP
      12:12 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I texted him some Tupac lyrics…Congratulations on the wedding, I hope your wife knows she got a playa for life and that’s no bullsh*ttin ๐Ÿ™‚ he probably wouldn’t understand it if he read it.

9. Okay, I know we all do not like Duke, but this has to be said: that rejection by Zion on Saturday…ay yi yi!!!

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Nothing that big should be able to move that quickly or jump that high.

11:18 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

When we play Duke again in the tournament, Zion will get his. We need to contain Jones, Barrett, and Reddish. If we can make it a really difficult night for Jones, that will limit the others, since he’s their primary distributor.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:20 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

But you can always count on duke getting at least double the free throws.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I agree, RCF. I am honestly amazed every time I watch him play. The term “freak athlete” gets thrown around WAY too much, but Zion is a legit freak athlete.

• mashburnfan1
      11:52 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Iam….have you seen UK games. We get more FT attempts every game…road and home. But in typical Uk fashion we blame the refs for all losses or even close wins. hey were the reason we lost by 34 as well. Not the fact dUKe got the better players, have the better coach and just flat outplayed us. Damn refs.

• ClutchCargo
      11:54 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

All this dook talk drew mashburnfan right in. smh

11:59 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Saturday’s game – MSU 18 free throws, UK 17 free throws.

10. ukkatzfan
    11:19 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Train wreck of a show today. Ryan has no filter. This michael bennett is a waste.

• Realme
      11:23 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I like it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Hey, but it’s great for the callers – they don’t have Matt cutting them off!

• ukkatzfan
      11:41 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Not a fan of the callers. Just like not a fan of realme and realcatsfan. Just two guys that think I wanted to hear their stupid ass opinion.

• Realme
      11:42 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Feel free to scroll past, Sunshine.

11:44 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Then wander yourself right on out of the show thread pal, because we’re all here everyday.

• ukkatzfan
      12:04 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Did i hurt your feelings j-dub421 ?

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

I’m not a fan of any adult who does not know how to spell “cats”. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ukkatzfan
      12:11 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

What makes you think there Is something spelled wrong ? Who says i am an adult ? I am 14 years old. I thought this was where I could comment to show. I didnt know it was where old men go to whine.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

… and you have to love a person who’s only contribution to the show thread is to come on here and b!tch, and then he goes on to b!tch about others who actually post up some relevant comments. ๐Ÿ˜‰

12:06 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Nope. I just dislike stupid whiners.

• StillBP
      12:14 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

katz….I don’t believe he is 14…more like 12 judging from the comments they are making and spelling of katz

• RealCatsFan
      12:55 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Good lord, then I am glad my kids don’t go to the same school as our friend “katz”. It is obvious that our education system needs some help.

11. secrick
    11:39 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, you guys may have already talked about this but can’t read the comments today or stay on here to long. Why wouldn’t Ky move ahead of Virginia because they got beat over the weekend.

11:49 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Because they lost to Duke.

• ClutchCargo
      11:57 am February 11, 2019 Permalink

Losing to Duke, but not getting “UK’ed”, is a badge of honor this season. /s

12. CoachCat
    12:25 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Not getting UKโ€™d. Damn thatโ€™s cold

13. 2thepoint
    12:39 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

First time they played VA was ranked#4 and moved to #3 after the loss.

• RealCatsFan
      12:56 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

ACC teams have a talent for moving UP in the polls after a loss.