KSR Show Thread 2/10: The Monday After a Win over Tennessee

Randy Sartin | USA TODAY Sports

Randy Sartin | USA TODAY Sports

The Wildcats went to Thompson-Boling Arena and left with a win. A feat accomplished just for the fourth time in the John Calipari era, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, Drew Franklin and Shannon The Dude are ready to recap everything that happened in Knoxville. They’ll also use the two hours to talk XFL, Oscars and everything else happening around the Big Blue Nation.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

105 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/10: The Monday After a Win over Tennessee

1. 4everUKBlue
    9:54 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

The Bobby Knight love fest is making ill, my dad has a sports show on and one analyst said he’s done more for players after leaving IU, unlike any other coach. I feel confident in saying he’s done nowhere near as much as Cal.

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I think he always sent them to a chiropractor after he wrang their necks.

10:04 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I can’t say I ever liked BK, but I did respect him as a coach. He is no doubt a gold-plated jackass, and I can see why many hate him. Media love fests for pretty much anyone make me ill.

• Realme
      10:58 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I just don’t get why they can’t mark an occasion like that without acting like he was a good guy. He wasn’t. Also, looked like he almost threw hands at Vitale. That would have been crazy.

2. runningunnin.454
    9:58 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, did Drew actually bet on the Oscars? Silly man, didn’t he know a non-English foreign film with subtitles had to win…eventually?

10:20 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know if I can get myself to sit through 2 hours of Korean dialogue and English subtitles, so I will probably never know the genius behind the Oscar winner.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Seriously, has anyone here actually seen it?

10:37 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Some of those Korean movies aren’t half bad, if you’re just dying for something to watch and have 2+ hours to kill. I’m a fan of horror/thrillers, and I ran across “Train to Busan” on Amazon Prime a couple of years ago. I hate subtitles, but I was interested enough to get past that.

3. 4everUKBlue
    10:01 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Also watched UNCheat blow a 13 point lead with 3 mins to go, Ol Roy didn’t even try to slow them down coming up the court, Jones just kept driving for layups. And Roy’s boys shot 21 – 38 foul shots. Funny thing in that game the ref’s called 27 fouls on each team, but TV Teddy missed the call that gave duke the game.

• Bluehender
      10:05 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

How did he miss that? Unreal…but like you said, ol Roy did his part to put TV Teddy in that spot..

• 4everUKBlue
      10:08 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I never watch other teams but when I saw duke losing by 13 I had to watch. That was the worst obvious non call I’ve seen since the blatant shot clock violation when we played Wisc.

10:13 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I actually felt dirty for wanting UNCheat to win. Had to take a shower afterwards. Was anyone in America surprised that Kount K would get the ref to swallow the whistle at a key moment?

• Bluehender
      10:14 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Agreed..

10:14 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

The worst thing (to me) about the way that ended was that we had to see “classy winning” Count K instead of the grumpy, sore loser Count K that shows his true character.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:14 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Not even a little surprised RCF.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:16 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

K inherited his character defects from Bobby.

10:19 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Wish K would get caught choking someone so we could be rid of him. 😉

10:21 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think K has to use his hands to choke somebody, just his mind control. It would be hard to prove.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Tre Jones’ intentional missed FT looked a lot like De’Aaron Fox’s. The NBA said Fox’s should not have counted.

• StillBP
      10:47 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Quick turnaround for the Dookies as they play a good FL St team tonight

11:21 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Why wouldn’t Fox’s missed FT count? Did it miss the rim?

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

They said he was in the lane too quickly.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Couldn’t believe the trolls that were showing up on the threads EVEN AFTER WE BEAT Tennessee at their place. Wrongeous1 was the most prominent. The heavy rains must have flushed him out of his hole.

10:17 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Yep, that idiot just craves attention. I try not to give it to him, but I can only take so much. There were a lot more reasonable comments than normal from other people, though.

• StillBP
      10:30 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m tired of his crying, I’m just ignoring Wrongous1 from now on. I think I responded to 1 of his comments after the game but that’s it. He’s a broken record of wrongness.

10:38 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Do I get credit for inventing that one? 🙂

• StillBP
      10:40 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know who came up with it, but yes, good one RCF. Appropriate and funny!

5. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

When UT got within 4 late in the game I slammed my fist on the footstool and started ranting. The dog headed for the bedroom to hide under the bed. The cat just looked annoyed. Mrs RCF is still mad at me for scaring the dog.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

We made 13-9 UT look like a top 5 team. This team has no killer instinct…we get up 10 and quit.

10:34 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

RG, that’s probably what actually set me off. But when you look across the landscape, it seems to be pretty common for teams to let big leads slip away. UL vs UVA, dook vs UNCheat, LSU vs Auburn are just a few examples.

10:35 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

And I still like this team’s moxie on the road. They probably play better outside of Rupp. Which might help us, because we will probably be playing far away from Rupp in the NCAA Tourney.

10:39 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Maxie and Quickley have some Tyler Herro in them. They enjoy being the villain on the other team’s court, to the point that it makes them play better. Hagans, too, if he can just avoid the turnovers.

6. 4everUKBlue
    10:19 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I really think that’s Slater’s new burner acct.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:20 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Sorry that was meant for as a response to Clutch’s comment about wrongous1.

10:29 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Could be. But I always felt like Slater was a genuine mom’s basement-dweller. This other one comes across more like a bitter old fart with too much time on his hands.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:26 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

That Fulkerson headband… my wife said it looks like the kind girls wear. That guy is the dookie-est non-dookie ever. So punchable.

10:30 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

My daughter said the same thing! Dude looked like some goofy white dude that you see playing in a YMCA league. My nickname for him became “RecLeague”. Most annoying player since Grayson Allen.

• StillBP
      10:34 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

hahaha one of his cousins is a Great Dane rescuer and she always posts how proud she is of him. My eyes roll to the back of my head when I read the posts about him.

• Realme
      10:55 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

If there’s gonna be a guy on their team whose name sounds like Flopshits when the announcers say it, it really should have been him.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Someone asked on the Liveblog if he knows what a headband is for. I think it was Mrs. TT actually. It looked like a shoe string, and it didn’t seem to serve any purpose. It didn’t seem to keep his hair out of his eyes much if at all, and it certainly didn’t look like it would absorb any sweat.

• Realme
      11:35 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

If you have long hair, those skinny bands are good for keeping all the little wispy bits out of your face when you’re trying to do something active. Or, now, if you are a dude that wants to be the most tool looking member of TN bball.

8. J-Dub421
    10:29 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

A couple of Pons blocks were actual blocks, but a couple of them were goaltends that didn’t get called.

10:31 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

If they weren’t goal tends, they were VERY close. UK would have been called for those EVERY TIME.

10:32 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t “pons” a portions of the brain? RG?

• StillBP
      10:43 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

is his middle name Tam?

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Yep, links the medulla oblongata and the thalamus; helps control breathing rate, and balance and hearing. There will be an exam tomorrow, ha ha.

10:53 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Not sure, BP. But did you notice the tv announcer say “Maxie pads his stats” as he scored late in the game? Ha!

• Realme
      10:56 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

He was totally waiting all game to say that!

• StillBP
      11:04 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

hahaha and it wasn’t even Tom Hart lol He’s usually the one with the funny little jabs

• 4everUKBlue
      11:07 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Tom Hart dropped a Yacka in the XFL game on one of Austin MacGinnis’ field goals. At least I think it was Tom Hart.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Eeeewwww. Matt just admitted to pulling for dook football. Blackballed forever! I might have to pull out my earbuds and swear off KSR!

10:42 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I could understand if he was just talking up the school itself, but pulling for any dook sports team is not something a real Cat fan would do.

• Realme
      10:53 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

And what a dumb team to pick. I hope Marrow or someone heard him say that.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Songs in movies? Well, I could do without hearing the Bob Seger song from Risky Business. Ever. Again.

American Werewolf in London had a great soundtrack, but oddly enough, the theme song for KSR was not one of them.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Most iconic song in a movie was Audrey Hepburn singing Moon River; also good was As Time Goes By, Dooley Wilson in Casablanca.

11. Bluemister
    10:38 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Does Matt ever read comments on air from the Show Thread any more?

10:43 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Nope. Best we can do is the text machine, when it is working. I am resisting Twitter with every fiber in my being. I have enough social media rabbit holes to burn time in.

10:48 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think they even see the Show Thread while on the air anymore. I have had a Twitter account for a few years and have never tweeted anything. I use it to follow a handful of media people, the local school district, etc. Strictly informational stuff.

12. J-Dub421
    10:47 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I think CC hit the nail on the head. We were wrong, Count K isn’t a vampire. He’s a Sith Lord.

10:51 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

That could also explain the swallowed whistles.

K, in his mind: “You don’t want to blow that whistle, ref.”
      Ref, under his breath: “I don’t want to blow this whistle.”

13. Realme
    10:55 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Very encouraged to see how Johnny and Keion are starting to be able to play.

10:57 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s great how they have embraced playing hard and making the hustle plays. Then the rest just follows.

10:58 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Great minds, Realme, great minds… 🙂

• StillBP
      11:05 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Right? They’ve done a great job of coaching themselves into being better players…bc we all know Cal just rolls the ball out 😉

• Realme
      11:12 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s Cal’s fault when it doesn’t work (cough Kahlil), but not when it does.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I was so happy to see Johnny Ju-ZANNNGGG have a good game on Saturday. Perfect stat line, and he hit some big shots.

• StillBP
      11:07 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

His 3s are finally falling. thank goodness!

15. Bluehender
    11:00 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

So I missed what it was that Barry Booker said to get him in trouble. Can anyone help me out there..

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

He said he wanted to watch gymnastics for the “scantily clad girls”.

• Realme
      11:07 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Ew, they’re usually children.

• Bluehender
      11:17 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Thanks rg…that’s not good…

11:17 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Did he coach for MSU Gymnastics in the past?

11:19 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I like Barry Booker, but that’s creepy and definitely the wrong thing to say.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Booker shouldn’t have said that regardless of his age, but if someone chooses to dress immodestly, they can’t regulate the age of who is going to ogle them or not. I’m sorry, but when I’ve channel surfed and come across a gymnastics meet lately, it looks like they’re wearing thongs. And modest dress applies to men as well as women.

• Realme
      11:26 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I’ve always gotten creeped out wondering how many sickos are creeping on Olympic gymnast unis, and stuff like that.

11:27 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

cg with the hottest take of the day!

11:41 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

As a dad of two daughters, I wonder sometimes who is oogling my kids when they play volleyball wearing the form fitting tights (also known as “bun huggers” in some circles) that are used in that sport. Kind of strange that they don’t just wear athletic shorts like basketball players wear. I guess I should be glad that they don’t play professional Women’s Beach Volleyball. :O

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:43 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Haha @ Clutch!

I’m surprised I’m not getting shredded. Look, Booker is responsible for his own behavior, as we all are, no doubt. I forgot to add that to what I said about him. But we’ve taught our daughter to dress modestly (I Tim. 2:9…and again, read in context this verse applies to men and not just women) and there have been some battles at times over what is appropriate and what is not as a Christian.

11:46 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I went and watched the video where Booker made that comment. It was even creepier than the description of what he said. I would be surprised if he still has a job.

11:58 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Like I alluded to, the outfits worn by gymnasts have got nothing on what the women’s pro beach volleyball players wear. Bikini’s that are barely there. I am surprised that more “wardrobe malfunctions” don’t happen with the way they move on the court. I know it’s a sport played outside in the heat on the beach, but wow, I would think that most of them would want to wear a little bit more “down south”.

16. J-Dub421
    11:01 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

And EJ, RM! The three of them have really begun to step up some on a consistent basis. It’s exciting!

• Realme
      11:07 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, Jdub! I don’t know if I trust EJ yet (I sound like Eeyore), but am thrilled to see him be aggressive. It works, and takes a little pressure off Nick.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Going back to the Bob Knight thing – if he has really changed in his old age, I am willing to let bygones be bygones and let him have his moment in the sun with the fans. If so, good for him.

11:14 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Also, I made this comment on the thread about Knight. Now that IU has had BK back at Ass Hall, it is beyond time for the UK Administration and Athletic Dept to get off their asses and get Tubby’s jersey hung in the rafters. Tubby is getting up there too. We don’t want it to be a memorial service rather than having him standing there soaking it in. Mitch Barnhart, are you listening? (Doubt it!)

11:17 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

He is pretty senile now, so I would say he has changed. Regardless, it’s good that he got to do that while he is still around. My first take was that it was sad that his “handlers” may be just parading him around Ass Hall, and he had no real say in it. I was probably mistaken about that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:40 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree totally about Tubby. His coaching was a huge part of that natty. He coached K’s pants off in the Elite 8.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

So is Dayton being coached by the same Anthony Grant who never got anything going at ‘Bama?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:17 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Yep.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

One good think about dook beating UNCheat – this will help to ensure that UNCheat doesn’t sneak into the tournament. This might be the post-season ban that they have been deserving for a long, long time. Since Emmert didn’t have the balls to do it, Karma stepped in.

20. Realme
    11:17 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

What about the fact that everyone has forgotten that right after we set a record for bad loss against Walter, Duke broke our record. Our bad loss counts now, theirs doesn’t.

11:23 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Par for the ESPN course, Realme.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

And, K gets no grief about Lehigh and Mercer.

• Realme
      11:28 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

And the NCAA. How were they slotted above Louisville Saturday?

11:30 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

How the hell was MSU ranked above UK?

• Realme
      11:32 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

That too!

21. spincr4hire
    11:26 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

UNC just as hatable. Cheating for years with no repercussions Plus 6 titles and counting

22. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Most hated teams? I’ll start:

1. dook
    2. dook
    3. dook
    4. UNCheat
    5. Tennessee
    6. Bill Self’s Hair Club for Men Team
    7. UConn
    8. Louisville

Auburn is moving up the ranks now that Brucie is there.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

And don’t forget Wisky; they are now saying 12 Big10 teams in the tournament. I bet we’re one game away from Wisky or Indiana.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Again, they need to bring Tubby in way before they think about inviting Rick back.

11:29 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Welp, I don’t think the Tubster is going to get that home and home…

11:36 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I think Rick has burned his bridges here, no sense pretending otherwise. He did a great thing in resurrecting UK basketball and he has his name in the rafters for it. Looks like we’re even.

24. J-Dub421
    11:33 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree with your list RCF, but Louisville should be higher up, and add Wisconsin at the end.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and Wisky beat Ohio State yesterday; and I hate cheering for OSU.

25. runningunnin.454
    11:45 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

I always heard Hoosier is from, “Who’s your daddy, I don’t know, who’s your daddy,….”

26. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am February 10, 2020 Permalink

Sad to hear about MKG. I was hoping he would find success as a great defender and rebounder similar to what Rodman did back in the day. The league just went in a different direction.