KSR Show Thread 2/1: Live at The Ketch

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from The Ketch Seafood Grill in Lexington. Tune in to hear the gang preview tomorrow’s game at Florida, discuss NCAA Tournament scenarios, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

94 Comments for KSR Show Thread 2/1: Live at The Ketch

1. RCF, I saw your post about Freakies Cereal yesterday (later in the day). I was a fan! Check this out:
    More Ralston cereals (I forgot just how many brands were theirs, including Chex cereals, which makes sense because of their checkerboard logo):

When you have some time, peruse that site and look at all the info he has on the cereals we grew up with. Another stroll down amnesia lane.

BTW, my parents live near Macon, GA, and many times when we would drive there we would see that giant checkerboard logo at a Ralston Purina plant there.

10:28 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

cg, I’ll have to check that out more closely when the afternoon doldrums hit.

Speaking of Ralston Purina, when I attended University-6 back in the 80’s there was a Ralston Purina plant down near Speed Engineering School on campus. That lovely odor would waft over the campus when the wind was right and add to the effect. The big RP silos were a landmark along I65 in Louisville for decades.

• Remember when they even had Monkey Chow? Did they also have Cow Chow?

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I remember that smell RCF. It was bad in the summer when driving along I-65.

• RCF, just one more message: check out the link to the commercial for Freakies. I remembered some of the jingle but not nearly all. It’s so weird to get that de ja vu feeling when you see something on YouTube that you haven’t seen in ages.

11:46 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Wow cg, now I know that Urkel actually had his own breakfast cereal. Now I’m ready for Trivia Night!

11:47 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I had a huge deja vu moment when cleaning out the basement of my parents’ house (and the house I grew up in.) They had a huge stack of old newspapers going all the way back to the Kennedy assassination.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

More NCAA selective enforcement. They have no control over academics at UNCheat; but, they have full control over academics at Missouri.
    I see Mizzou is going to appeal; to WHOM? The NCAA, ha ha ha.
    The FBI has already become involved because the NCAA is a failure; it’s becoming obvious that the courts will have to become involved.

• Realme
      10:07 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s simple. Lie and deny. Do not admit anything or cooperate, for then you will be hammered.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:13 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Or you could just join the ACC…

• ukjaybrat
      10:14 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

when do schools/conferences replace the ncaa with a governing body that actually works instead of just sucking up money?

• Realme
      10:15 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Louisville tried that, Iam.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:16 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Good point Realme. I guess you need to be from North Carolina.

• Realme
      10:16 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Probably never Jay, because that would require schools besides the ones in trouble to put their foot down, and risk destroying some major cash cows.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Yep, UL and Mizzou cooperated; UNCheat said “shove it”. So,
      SHOVE IT, NCAA.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:18 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

And don’t forget all the issues at Duke that have been totally overlooked.

• Well, their reasoning in part is that UNCheat just had ultra-easy classes open to all, not just athletes, but the athletes were all doing their own…ahem…(clears the throat)…work. I still wonder: even if the NCAA can’t, or won’t, do anything to UNCheat, I would still think that would have hurt their standing with the AAU.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

As I said yesterday, we should have just thrown some A’s Jordan Jones way so he could play in the Citrus Bowl.

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I think that reasoning is flawed, though, cg. It should have been a matter of academic eligibility, not impermissible benefits. Would some of those athletes have had the grades to play if not for those fake classes?

• Yeah, an A for writing a paper with 1 or 2 incoherent paragraphs. *face palm emoji*

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

^ Maybe that’s where the NCAA gets to cop out and say they have no control over the academic programs, but I still think that’s garbage. It was clearly set up by someone smart enough to include non-athletes to keep them out of hot water.

10:32 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s not so much being in the ACC, as much as having the ESPN connections like dook and UNCheat. ESPN is in bed with the NCAA. And I want so wee the FBI come in and break up the NCAA so that we can see Emmert working as a WalMart greeter where he belongs.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Emmert would save the nice clean, dry carts for his buddies, and give all the dirty wet ones to everyone else.

10:35 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, I think early on UNCheat was resigned to their fate and ready to take their medicine. Then they lawyered up and realized that they could just stonewall the whole process and skate on a technicality. Someone at the NCAA front office probably let it slip to them. Oops.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

If you have the one with wobbly wheels, you know you’re not a blue blood Wal Mart shopper.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

The fake classes were also more than 50% athletes, predominantly from men’s basketball and football. I had athletes in a lot of my classes at UK, but NEVER was HALF the class made up of athletes.

The keeping players eligible is the angle I’ve been harping on McCants and May would have been academically ineligible in 2005 without the fake classes. McCants posted his transcripts online at one point and he was a C and D student in everything but the fake classes where he miraculously got A’s. That’s a huge red flag.

10:40 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, I remember my freshman year at University-6, it was the first day in my English-102 class, and the teacher was reading the syllabus to the class. Sitting in the back of the class was one Billy Thompson from the UL BB team. I just remember as the teacher kept rattling off all the term papers we would write Billy just sat back there and smiled and shook his head – no. Never saw him in that class again after that day. 🙂

3. Realme
    10:27 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Uh, I can’t keep listening today. Matt’s getting all over my nerves for some reason. Usually having Drew around helps with that.

• Realme
      10:28 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Ya’ll let me know if I miss anything awesome.

• StillBP
      10:38 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

hahaha Matt is on your nerves. Not surprised.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:39 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Seems like they’re beating the hell out of that dead horse.

• What were they talking about? I missed the first few minutes.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:45 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Would you take Duke, KY, TN or the field.

10:50 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, I would always take the field – there are 64 teams in this thing, and any number of them can go on a tear. UConn in 2014 is sadly a reminder of this.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Do you all know that your nose and your ears continue to grow as long as you are alive? Sigh, we are all destined to look like Ross Perot someday. Why couldn’t it be something else that keeps growing, like our, ahem, hands. 😉

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:40 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Nick Richards is the exception to that rule.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Hate to break it to you RCF; but, the “hand” actually shrinks. I wouldn’t know; but, that’s what the medical journals say.

• Or hair on our bald spots.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:43 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I thought the shrinkage was only after being in a cold pool.

10:44 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Damn, I was wondering why my gloves felt so roomy last week!

• rickwhitetx
      11:18 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

The “hand” shrinks with age? Well, that explains a lot. And makes me feel a tad bit better about my … “hand”.

11:41 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Note to self – keep my “hand” as warm as possible.

• Realme
      11:51 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Maybe some Oil of Olay or other anti-aging cream, fellas.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Love Josh and the football team; but, have to vote for Syd for Kentucky Sports Figure of the Year.
    She won a national championship.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I thought she was way to low on the vote list as well. I can’t wait to watch her crush it in the Olympics next year.

• Realme
      10:43 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

It was weird, I thought she didn’t get enough attention when she was here either.

10:47 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I think a lot of it was that she was just here for one year, and Track and Field just doesn’t get the kind of exposure that the bigger team sports get. Hoping that she will rock some UK Blue for us when she is on Team USA. 🙂

6. unbridled
    10:44 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

What a dumb take on the rand Paul settlement. Rand is a sitting Senator. The punitive damages were to prevent future communists from attacking elected officials. Do we need another attack to show you people that the communist left is unhinged and violent? Get outta here.

10:46 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I have some leftover Reynolds Wrap from my sandwich yesterday that you can have if you need it for your hat. I can fish it out of the garbage for you. Just let me know. Can never be too careful about the Deep State spying on you.

10:47 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Did you forget that one of your fellow communists shot up a Congressional baseball practice? Then a communist attacks rand Paul at his home? These are facts that you can’t refute.

10:48 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m an Independent, nimrod. I never vote down party lines like most of your mouthbreathing ilk.

10:49 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Ok comrade. Keep holding your handout for whatever “redistribution” you think is coming.

10:51 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

^^^^ Hey look everyone, unbridled is going to save all of us from commies like me! 😀 ^^^^

10:53 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Hey everyone, look at realcatsfan is trying to put forth a coherent thought. How cute. Bless your heart little guy.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Rand Paul got a bunch of money because he’s a famous senator, period.

10:58 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah he’s a sitting senator who was physically attacked by a political opponent. There are heavy penalties for such violence…..like it or not.

10:59 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

unbridled probably thinks that Mitch McConnell cares about him more than he cares about his money. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

10:59 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Opponent meaning, a snowflake who objects to his political ideology.

11:00 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Hahahahaha. No I don’t like Mitch at all you dope, even though he did successfully achieve the Gorsuch nomination.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Idiot, this case had nothing to do with politics. Paul was attacked for being a passive aggressive douche of a neighbor.

11:03 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Riiiiight. Have you read anything about the neighbor? Try harder please.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Man, it’s like some random person walked into the normally pleasant breakroom and let out a huge fart. Why did you have to do that??

11:05 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Because it was a dumb take. Sorry not everyone is of the democrat/communist party.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Come and keep your comrade warm, I’m back in the USSR
      You don’t know how lucky you are, boy.

11:07 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Sorry I’m not your “type”

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

They couldn’t talk about his job or politics. It was about tree clippings.

• StillBP
      11:11 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Punitive damages had nothing to do with him being a Senator. it had everything to do with him being someone with a lot of money, who was assaulted and suing. Happens all the time, even with common folk.

11:12 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

But wait, I apologize to unbridled because this was probably not on his approved list of news sources…

11:17 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, note to self – never get on an elevator with unbridled.

• ukjaybrat
      11:17 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

i think I’m dumber for having read this. thanks unbridled, you are part of the problem as long as you put democrats and communists in the same group. your arrogance will cause you a lifetime of unhappiness

11:24 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Boucher is a divorced socialist who is “pretty much the opposite of Rand Paul in every way,” Jim Bullington, a former member of the city commission who knows both men well, told reporters Sunday.

11:25 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Local citizens say Rene Boucher, the 59-year-old man who assaulted Paul, was a socialist who frequently fought with neighbors about health care policies and other liberal issues. Boucher and Paul, a Republican from Kentucky, are on the opposite end of the political spectrum, they told reporters.

• unbridled, I’m as conservative as they come, but if you know something in the neighbor’s background to buttress your point, post links please.

ukjaybrat, I’m not saying you’re totally wrong, but look at how far left many of the left’s stars are right now (Kamala Harris, Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders, Warren, etc., many of whom are avowed socialists). They will be trying to “out-left” each other in the primary, and there is far less distance between them and communists than there was even 2 years ago. They want to nationalize everything, and some of them in the past have even tried to cite Venezuela & Cuba as models.

• Those running for POTUS will be doing that I mean.

unbridled, I still don’t see a source. Just because the neighbor is a socialist doesn’t prove your point. Was there testimony in court that backs up what you are saying?

• ukjaybrat
      11:34 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

chris, point taken. but not ALL Democrats are communists. just like not all cops are bad, not all white people are racists, and not all black people are thugs. dumping everyone into a group (especially someone you don’t know) is both ignorant and unhealthy for society.

11:38 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

cg, what the hell happened to the “normal” candidates we had on both the left and the right? It seems like both sides have gone to polar opposites. As an Independent, I try to find someone who is more middle of the road. I sure as hell don’t want to see some extreme left leaning loon in the White House any more than I want to see an extreme right leaning one.

11:38 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Also, it was rand Paul’s political views that were off limits. Not his status as a senator. Big difference. Guess which legal team asked for such conditions?

• Realme
      11:39 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have much hope we’ll have a better option than the last time on either side next time around either.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Venezuela is toast because they are a one trick pony. Their entire economy is based around oil, and when oil prices tanked they were screwed. It has nothing to do with socialism.

11:43 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes the democrat party is communist. No way around that. The logical conclusion of their ideology is totalitarian rule in a post constitutional era. There is not a dimes worth of difference in socialism and communism. There might be semantic nuances but the empirical reality is very much the same.

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

You do know that highly republican, mostly white states are the biggest welfare users out there, right? States like Kentucky. Kentucky takes in way more federal tax money that we pay out. Also, liberal Louisville and Lexington pay most of the taxes in this state, thus subsidizing all the republicans out in the state who love to complain about welfare while cashing their welfare checks.

11:57 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

You do know that many on the right, Rand Paul supporters included, are for drastically reducing the size and scope of the federal government right?? Like cutting all welfare….especially the corporate type? Reducing taxes? Yeah I live in northern Kentucky and know what my tax dollars go to.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Hey, I’m not naive enough to believe that this whole dispute was purely over yard waste. There was something deeper festering here. I am not going to spend my afternoon digging up the past of these two people, but I have read that they were actually former colleagues in the medical field. I have to wonder if something in their past work relationship had something to do with this more than yard waste of being a member of the communist party. But thanks for your take, Mr. McCarthy, ahem, unbridled.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

You’d be surprised. I’m working on a case between two neighbors (slip and fall) and there is a long history of animosity and wild accusations (including them calling the cops on each other frequently) with a dispute over the property boundary. Both side are crazy and very passive aggressive.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Tailgunner Joe Unbridled, ha ha. Reminds me of my favorite movie, “Anatomy of a Murder”. The judge in the movie was not an actor, but an actual lawyer. Joseph Welch was attorney for the Army in the Army-McCarthy hearings in which he asked McCarthy, “Senator, have you no decency”.

12:13 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Too bad Joe Mcarthy was largely proven correct and vindicated

8. unbridled
    11:23 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

11:34 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

Sounds to me like we had two neighbors who worked together in the past with different political views. I would reasonably assume that they got along with each other at one time in spite of their differences, but extreme political rhetoric, probably on both sides, escalated to the point where this little law dispute became a symbolism for the growing angst between them. Rand probably knew quite well that his brush was sticking in his neighbor’s craw, and he probably was doing it to purposely aggravate him. Absolutely does not justify the act of attacking him – this guy was clearly unhinged. But it does serve as an example of how stupid political differences can lead to friends and neighbors turning on each other when we dehumanize each other. That is a sad statement on the situation in our nation.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:52 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I really hate it when this site turns into a political forum and especially when it happens on the show thread, I come here for the peaceful, humorous atmosphere.

• runningunnin.454
      11:56 am February 1, 2019 Permalink

I’ve got a peaceful easy feelin’, and I know you won’t let me down.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:02 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Cause I’m already standing underground.

12:02 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Perfect way to close, rg, and I’ll leave it at that. Have a great weekend, everyone – even you, unbridled! Go CATS! Beat ‘dem Gators!

12:03 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

“Underground” or “On the ground”? I thought it was the latter. Oh well, great song anyway.

12:28 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Have a good weekend to you as well. I found this exchange to be pleasant and constructive. Thanks for that. Tomorrow afternoon is going to be fun. GO CATS!!