KSR Show Thread 12/6: The U.S. Embassy to Canada

From the White House to Beale Street and beyond, Kentucky Sports Radio has done live radio from a wide variety of locations.  Today we can cross “foreign embassy” off the KSR to-do list.  Matt, Ryan, Shannon and Drew will talk about everything happening across the Big Blue Nation from the United States Embassy to Canada.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

66 Comments for KSR Show Thread 12/6: The U.S. Embassy to Canada

1. Respect my decision.

2. J-Dub421
    10:24 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I am so excited to watch Top Chef Kentucky tonight!! Can’t wait!!

• Realme
      10:25 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Downloaded the Bravo app already so I can watch too!

• I’ll have to try to remember to check that out.

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I may have to check this out. I’m nearly out of things to watch during the week, and basketball only on Saturdays isn’t getting it done.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Cooking shows are about the only reality shows I watch. I do pick up some cooking tips and techniques from them when possible. Top Chef is easily my favorite cooking show.

• Realme
      10:46 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Same, JDub. Final Table on Netflix is pretty good. All the cooking competition without most of the contrived personal drama.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Netflix has been suggesting Final Table to me. I’ll have to try it.

3. Totally random tip: I don’t usually care for flavored coffees, but at this time of year I dig putting a hard peppermint in my coffee and letting it dissolve. It’s just enough peppermint flavor and it tastes really good. I still add a little more sugar to it (in a larger cup anyway).

I don’t like McDonald’s mint hot chocolate because they put WAY too much peppermint oil in it (if it is real peppermint oil and not artificial flavor).

• Realme
      10:26 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I love peppermint everything. But I don’t drink coffee, so won’t be trying that.

• Of course there are the flavored creamers, but I like old fashioned half and half, and some of those have basically liquid Coffee Mate.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I love coffee (black) and I love peppermint. But I don’t put stuff in coffee, ever.

• cats646
      10:38 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I love every coffee I can think of. And McDonalds vanilla iced coffee with extra vanilla is hands down the best coffee drink ever if they make it right. I always tell them to just put a little coffee in my vanilla. Ha

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like one of those “hot milkshakes” my wife likes to drink. lol

• Speaking of that, what is the deal with calling the one drink “frozen hot chocolate”? It’s not hot chocolate! It’s a milkshake!

• cats646
      10:46 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

It pretty much is. I do like black coffee too though. I’ll have to try that peppermint thing Chris.

4. Realme
    10:29 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

That is some scary snoring. Somebody get Ryan on a CPAP machine.

• That was Ryan live, for real?

• Realme
      10:40 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Shannon recorded him last night.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

That is what I do for a living, and Ryan should get a sleep study done. Sleep apnea is a serious condition. Snoring does not absolutely mean you have it, but it commonly goes along with it. It is extremely hard on your cardiovascular system, and can lead to strokes and heart attacks.

• Realme
      10:50 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

That’s what people don’t understand, RCF. They think it means you stop breathing and could die literally right then.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

The thing is, they can do home sleep studies now that can quickly diagnose it. Yeah, it’s not the gold standard of a sleep study done at a major sleep lab, but it can tell you if you have garden variety obstructive sleep apnea. Ryan has the classic hallmarks of it – heavy snoring, and he is a little on the “husky” side and carries his weight under his chin.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I have to admit, I was laughing my ass off as they played his snoring over the radio. People in the cars around me were keeping their distance from the crazy person who seemed to be laughing for no reason. 🙂

I have to confess to playing a prank years ago on Mrs. RCF. She swore up and down that she didn’t snore, so one night while she was sawing away I reached my breaking point. So I grabbed my phone, dialed her work number, and let it go to voicemail with her snoring on it. So she got a little sample the next morning. Amazing that I lived through it, and that I don’t have to sleep on the couch. 😀

• Realme
      11:01 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Yep. Easier and more affordable. If any of y’all wonder, it’s worth doing.

5. bigblue98
    10:32 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I’m 100% committed to 100% of the schools 100% of the time.

• secrick
      10:36 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Can i change your mind?

• bigblue98
      10:55 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Only 99% of the time – LOL

6. J-Dub, real quick…I saw your last comment late yesterday, and I promise I’m not trying to start another whole political thread, but just one more thing:
    In the early days of our country, everyone understood the 2nd amendment to be an individual right not to be infringed. And, what most folks don’t know is the early history of gun control. Just Google the phrase “The racist roots of gun control”, and I promise it will be eye opening.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I already know the racist roots of gun control.

“In the early days of our country, everyone understood the 2nd amendment to be an individual right not to be infringed.” This is false. The founding fathers absolutely did not think this. They were in favor of militias because they thought standing armies lead to oppression and federal rule. The right to bear arm did not apply to individuals until 2008 with the Supreme Court case: District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570.

• Absolutely right about the fear of a standing army. And the militias were basically everyone, and writings like The Federalist Papers bear out that the 2nd Amendment was put there for us to protect ourselves from an oppressive government. The British trying to disarm patriots so they could not fight led to that. I’ve read an article on that but can’t find it.

• Anyway, I know we won’t see eye to eye on this, and I usually avoid political talk on this site these days.
      I also try not to get as political as I used to on Facebook (not that I did it all the time).

• Realme
      11:11 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

You are both intelligent, good people, and it is fine to disagree. If only more people could disagree without getting personal or acting like the other side has no right to their own opinion.

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I know we don’t agree on this, and I have no problem having a nice rational discussion like this. All I know is, we’ve been doing nothing for quite some time, and that is clearly not working. It’s time to try something else.

• Thanks y’all!

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Even though I own several guns, I’m probably a little more in J-Dub’s camp on this. I think a few common sense things can be done to help keep guns out of the hands of people who are criminals. Eliminate bump stocks for one – no reason to own one unless you have intentions of spraying bullets at someone. At the same time, we are probably also going to have to fortify our schools and have armed security personnel on staff. Some compromises will have to be made on both sides. I personally don’t think that the majority of Americans (or politicians for that matter) intend to revoke the 2nd Amendment. People should still be able to own and carry firearms for personal protection, hunting, sport, etc. And I realize that we live in a violent society that glorifies violence, so shooting are still going to occur. Maybe we need to work on that part of our society as well.

That’s all I am going to say about it.

7. Realme
    10:36 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Be awesome if we could get a show where no one starts singing along with the music. Except Shannon, he can if he wants.

8. cats646
    10:43 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Did Matt just say we don’t spank kids anymore?? That may be the most wrong thing I’ve ever heard him say.

• Realme
      10:47 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I’d say it’s way less common.

• cats646
      10:49 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

That’s true. I’m all for spanking though. There’s a difference in spanking and beating.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Oops, I didn’t get that memo until too late. Mine rarely needed it at all, but they understood it was an option and that was enough to deter the really bad behavior.

• cats646
      11:03 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I got spanked, and deserved the hell out of it, a lot when I was a kid. Ha

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

My kids got an occasional swat on the behind when they got way out of line, but most of the time giving them time-out was more effective.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

If I got into trouble, my mom would say something along the lines of, “Clearly you have too much time on your hands.” Then she would put me to work doing chores around the house. It was very effective.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Spanking definitely needs to be used sparingly, and with the individual kid’s personality in mind. My daughter is very sensitive and spanking made things much worse with her, so we just didn’t do it. Her little brother was a different story, and he actually responded the right way when he got it. And we’re talking a swat on the behind here.

• RealCatsFan
      11:52 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Often just the threat of it is enough to get a kid in line. My dad used to hold his hand up and say “I’m gonna tan your hide if you keep that up.” 🙂

• cats646
      11:53 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Yes J-dub! My dad used to make me go out in the field and I couldn’t come inside until I filled the truck bed full of rocks, that was one of my least favorite punishments. I’d rather be spanked any day.

• cats646
      11:54 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

My dad always followed that by actually tanning my hide RCF. It sucked ha

9. Realme
    10:47 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I am having a hellish week at work, so I appreciate you guys helping to distract me.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

I’m sorry. At least it’s Thursday and the week is almost over.

10. J-Dub421
    10:54 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Why on earth would Jalen Hurts go to Nebraska when he could just turn pro?

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Yep, if he went there, that would affirm my suspicions that a bag man is involved.

• ClutchCargo
      11:02 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

No salary cap? :p

11. RealCatsFan
    11:04 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Most of you know that I coach kids. If a coach in any of the clubs or schools that I was associated with ever made fun of a kid for her weight and went out of their way to ridicule her in front of her teammates, they would probably be looking for another job. Yeah, you have to get on them sometimes for goofing off or talking about teammates, etc., but there is a line that you just don’t cross.

12. spincr4hire
    11:23 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

15 minute commercial break and counting. Wtf

13. Realme
    11:28 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

What was the NCAA thing?

14. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am December 6, 2018 Permalink

Would like to see Orlando Antigua come back to help with our recruiting. Or we could just do like dook and get a bag man like Jeff Capel.