KSR Show Thread 12/6: LIVE from Kentucky Foot Professionals in Lexington

Kentucky football landed one of its top recruiting targets of the Mark Stoops era in Auburn quarterback transfer and former top-40 prospect Joey Gatewood, and KSR has quite the group of people on hand to break it all down.

This morning, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin will be joined by Cameron Mills, Antoine Walker, and Chris Kael of Five Finger Death Punch at Kentucky Foot Professionals at 2659 Regency Road in Lexington.

After breaking down the Gatewood news, along with any and all other goofy news happening around UK Athletics and the state, Walker will talk about his new book, while Kael will give away tickets to the FFDP concert in Lexington tonight.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

57 Comments for KSR Show Thread 12/6: LIVE from Kentucky Foot Professionals in Lexington

1. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

WHO’s on first?

• Realme
      10:13 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

What!

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know.

• Realme
      10:17 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

My middle school bff and I decided to do that routine for speech and drama. It must have been so atrocious.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

My left foot is a disaster – I probably should have gone to the remote!

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Can we send the basketball team there for some preventive stuff before tournament time?

• Realme
      10:28 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

My left foot used to be a disaster. Exercises from the podiatrist, night splint helped, but KT tape was the game changer. You can youtube exactly how to tape it for your particular condition, and tape it for any activity you know is going to hurt. Huge help.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Bunion and two hammertoes for me. Not sure if I can fix that with KT tape, but would be interested to know.

• Realme
      10:55 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I am picturing your feet now. They look exactly like my mother in law’s, except she has a middle toe that crosses over another toe too.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I have some scars on my feet from doing ballet en pointe. I didn’t dance long enough to really screw up my feet thankfully.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

My dad’s used to do that – on both feet. Fortunately I am not that bad (yet), and it’s just one foot. Other one is perfectly normal. Go figure.

I have been told I need corrective surgery, and it’s starting to hurt enough to consider it, but I just don’t like the idea of going under the knife for fear of the downtime and that it could make things worse.

• Realme
      11:06 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Never understood how a ballerina could be graceful on torn up feet. Awesome that you have that in your repertoire, Jdub.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I’m so pumped up about the Joey Gatewood news! That can only help to keep this (potential) recruiting class together this close to signing day.

• Realme
      10:18 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I love a big qb that can run. 3 of 5 top recruits since 2000 joining us next season! Crazy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

This dude is absolutely perfect for the way we try to run our offense. If he can keep getting better with the passing game, the Cam Newton comparisons are on point.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

One KSR post said he was a sprinter on the track team. Does anyone know what event(s) he ran in?

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Looked it up; he ran 100 and 200 meters, and various relays in hs.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:57 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Cool!

Useless trivia time: I saw Herschel Walker and Willie Gault run against one another in track in high school in a large track meet. I didn’t know who they were at the time, but I had heard the 3 fastest guys in the state (GA) would be there, and one played football and ran for my HS (he was a RB just like Herschel, but not as big). Our guy entered the race with a hammy unfortunately, and ran a 10 flat (100 yards, not meters) and finished 3rd. He had ran a 9.5 before, and that was what Herschel won with. Darn it!

The next day there was an article in the local paper about the track meet. Herschel had won the 100, 4 x 100, discus, all kinds of event. And there was an “Oh, BTW, he’s a pretty good football player too” statement toward the end. That fall his recruiting absolutely blew up. It was only years later that I realized Gault was in the race when he and Herschel were in the “NFL’s Fastest Man” race together and Gault was talking about the first time they ran against one another in HS. He said he thought “Who is this huge guy carrying all this weight who just blew by all of us???” I put 2 and 2 together because I remembered Gault’s HS team was at the meet and a guy from Griffin HS finished 2nd.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Gatewood is 6’5″ and 232 lb. Amazing big guys can sprint like that; contrast to Tyson Gay who is 5’11” and 165.

• J-Dub421
      11:52 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Usain Bolt is also 6’5″ and he’s pretty fast.

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

But he doesn’t carry the weight of Walker and Gatewood.

• J-Dub421
      12:02 pm December 6, 2019 Permalink

Runners do tend to be thinner.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I am very excited about UK getting Joey Gatewood! (and for some strange reason, whenever I hear his name I think of the dude who always wins the competitive eating contests.) 🙂

5. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Gatewood was originally recruited by Auburn, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, and Florida; up there where the air is rare.

• J-Dub421
      10:31 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Getting Gatewood is exciting, and he’ll have a year to watch and learn the playbook.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:21 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

So my Auburn grad colleague begged me to go to the Auburn-Furman game last night and I didn’t (he was buying tickets), but our Furman alum colleague DID go with him. Furman man wore his Mr. Rogers cardigan, do he didn’t get shoved by an Auburn fan like the Michigan fan did at UL. Haha. It turned out to be a great game so I should have gone! AU barely won in OT, and they were assisted by a terrible out of bounds call with 12 seconds left. Tom Hart & Andy Kennedy were both aghast that they got the call wrong after a review. It was so obvious that the Auburn guy tipped it out of bounds.

Also, the local host who is the Troy play by play guy, who spoke so highly of Sawyer Smith, said about Gatewood this morning “I don’t know that he’s a game changer.” Way to rain on my parade Barry! 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Well, he was wrong about Smith, so maybe he will be wrong about Gatewood. 😉

• Realme
      10:24 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know that the Troy play by play guy is good at evaluating quarterbacks.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Stick ta’ play by play, Troy guy!

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

You turned down a chance to see the Paladins? Now that’s a great name.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Oh, and Furman beat a team (one of those Coastal Carolinas or something like that) by like 40, and that team beat Mizzou. Auburn was down by 14 at a couple points in that game, so it was a nice comeback. Their press is difficult to deal with, and Austin Wiley is a load now, so we have our work cut out for us.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:45 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I disagree with you all about Sawyer. He was fine until he got hurt. I guess I’m on an island here.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Having said that, I agreed with sticking with Bowden. It probably was best to not change the offense yet again. I just wish we had pulled out the UT and UF games.

• Realme
      10:48 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know if we have a large enough sample size to know how good Sawyer would have been. He did look really decent passing before he got hurt, but he also made some bad decisions and showed a tendency to turn it over. Hopefully he can find his confidence again in the off season.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I think Smith is likely better than he showed after the injuries. And maybe the late arrival had something to do with the lack of chemistry with the receivers (staring them down and just asking for a pick-6). Regardless, a healthy TW will fix a lot of what was wrong with this offense.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Sawyer will be fine as a back-up QB, but I’m ready to get Terry Wilson back. We can roll out with TW next year, then it will be the Joey Gatewood show for two year after that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:58 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

And then the Beau Allen show after that. You would think I would have learned to keep my enthusiasm for UK football in check by now, but I’m drinking that blue Kool-aid again!

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I thought Sawyer looked really good in the UF game. Made some good passes and even showed some mobility. Then after that, he just didn’t seem to have the same “IT”. He just seemed timid. Yeah, he did get hurt, but even before then it almost seemed like he was reluctant to leave the pocket and run the ball. I thought the same thing about TW last year, and at the time I thought the coaching staff was having him dial it back to avoid injury. However, there has been none of that with Lynn, and I am hopeful that if the coaching staff was being conservative with the QB run previously, maybe this will get them over that. After all those years watching UK getting absolutely gashed by running QB’s – Tebow, Newton, Lamar, etc. – it is fun for us to get to dish some of that out for a change.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of the coaching… keeping the foot on the gas against UofL was something I feel was overlooked in all the joy of the blowout win. It wasn’t like we ran them out of the stadium in the first half and coasted. That might have been the first time I have seen them try to add onto the lead, and that is encouraging.

• Realme
      11:08 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Amen to that Clutch!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:08 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Some good points made by many. Either way, the future appears to be bright with the way recruiting is going!

• Jester
      2:21 pm December 6, 2019 Permalink

Good comeback for the win by Auburn. While Cal may be the best recruiter in the SEC, Bruce Pearl is probably the best coach.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Sports Illustrated NCAA Championship issue cover photo was Antoine ripping down a rebound; he was a monster in the paint.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

‘Toine was a beast.

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

• ClutchCargo
      11:07 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

He was apparently even more beastly when it came to wasting money. I still don’t know how you blow a $120 million fortune. Maybe I need to read the book.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:11 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I heard him admit in one interview that he was frequently taking his posse to Vegas and he always paid to 5 star it and they had separate rooms and everything. I don’t know how many people that was, but it can eat up a lot of $$$ quickly.

• Realme
      11:11 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Cars, watches, gambling, and bad Chicago south side real estate investments, apparently.

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, there’s plenty of people out there who specialize in separating fools from their money. I’m just frugal and not very materialistic, so it is beyond me how somebody could let that happen. Some people’s role in life is to serve as a warning to others, so maybe he can do that. I always loved Antoine as a player and now as a TV commentator, so I hope it all works out for him.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

He should have consulted Mashburn; he’s obviously doing very well.

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn and Dougie Allen have got it going on, and prove that there is life beyond sports.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Some people also have trouble telling others no when asked for money, especially if they come from an underprivileged area. Long lost friends and family members come out of the woodwork looking for money. Guys like Antoine feel obligated to try to help as many people as they can, which goes through money in a hurry.

8. Realme
    11:17 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Oh I hate that about Dontaie. %$#@

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

I was afraid this might happen. Probably time to shut it down and be ready to go next season. And hopefully he doesn’t take this as a sign that his window of being a contributor here is closing and start looking elsewhere.

9. J-Dub421
    11:44 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Lynn Bowden is the poster child for a guy growing up and maturing into a great person.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am December 6, 2019 Permalink

Belk bowl obviously loves Bowden…but, sorry, you have to take the whole team.

• J-Dub421
      12:03 pm December 6, 2019 Permalink

I mean, who doesn’t love Lynn Bowden? What’s not to like?