KSR Show Thread 12/4: 45-Minute Edition

Due to the women’s basketball game at 11 a.m., today’s episode of Kentucky Sports Radio is only 45 minutes long, so stop what you’re doing and get in front of that radio or streaming device to hear Ryan, Drew, and Shannon break down the news of the day.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

37 Comments for KSR Show Thread 12/4: 45-Minute Edition

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

So depressing watching Louisville last night; their pack line man defense is awesome…we may not score 40 points.

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

That is pretty much the perfect defense against our offense. Gonna be an ugly game of smashmouth basketball.

• Realme
      10:13 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

So did Louisville and Duke both win? I just saw tweets about how Mich and Mich St sucked, not results.

• J-Dub421
      10:18 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Yes, Duke and U of L both won.

• Realme
      10:18 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Heading off to barf now.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Yep, neither game was close. UL may be vulnerable to the press; and, Michigan didn’t put it on til the 1:00 mark…little late there, Juwan.
      Of course, Dook got all the calls in their game; but one thing I had never seen…foul called on a guy laying flat on his back, and the Dook player stepping on him…even Dookie Bilas didn’t believe that one.

• J-Dub421
      10:22 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

1. I think we’re better than Michigan.
      2. Throw records out the window in rivalry games, anything goes.
      3. maxey will just drop three’s on them from 30 feet.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Not only did they both win but they both boat raced the competition. None of the Michiganders looked good at all, and Sparty was playing at home.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, our win against MSU is not looking real impressive anymore. Did anyone see the obvious goaltend by dook that was conveniently not called? And MSU had a little momentum going, but it went poof after that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:28 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Not to make excuses, but the Michigan players looked like they were running through mud in work boots. They have played some really good ball lately, but maybe too much of it, and a little worn down. Regardless, this was an early December game, and they will be good going forward. IU even looked pretty decent last night.

• Realme
      10:28 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know why you all put yourselves through watching those games. I was busy binge watching a bad show on Netflix. 🙂

• StillBP
      10:34 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

I think our guys will rise to the occasion. I think they live for the big games. Bring it, dirty birds! Ls down for life!

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be honest, I spent the first half of the UofL/UM game working out and kind of checking the TV in the next room between sets. The dook game was made more tolerable by the fact that Dookie V worked the early game so he could make his bedtime.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

The CFP rankings is absurd; two of the top four teams, Georgia and LSU, have to play each other. Georgia getting knocked out for…Utah; give me a break.

• J-Dub421
      10:19 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. The rest of the country benefits from half of the powerhouse teams being in the SEC and knocking each other out.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Can we just have a national championship for only SEC teams, and then a participation award tournament for the rest of the country?

• DelrayCat
      10:33 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

That’s absurd. OSU and Clemson are every bit as good as LSU, and better than Georgia.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:36 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

No one is denying that Delray, but the ACC is a 1 team league right now. The SEC is far from that.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:06 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Only asking because I have no idea. If Utah loses to Oregon and Oklahoma beats Baylor, who get the 4 spot? And Delray like CG mentioned, Clemson ended the season with out playing anyone worth even mentioning and all they talked about was how weak Bama’s schedule was, never mentioned how weak Clemson’s was.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:21 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Why do the Lady Kats have such an early game when it’s Wednesday and it’s not the Christmas holidays?

• J-Dub421
      10:23 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Because women are seen as lesser in this country.

• Realme
      10:27 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Because it’s a special day to bus in school children.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

After having daughters who play sports, I can’t really disagree with what J-Dub said. Unfortunately, it’s the way of the world right now. In middle school, our volleyball team was one of the few winning programs, and we still had to give up the gym for both the boys and the girls basketball teams to practice when they weren’t even in season! Similar crap goes on at the HS level.

• Realme
      10:31 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

I’m not saying Jdub is wrong… Just that they did do that for a reason today. Or they scheduled it and decided to invite bus loads of children afterward. IDK

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think it’s anything quite that sinister, J-Dub. It’s more about revenue than anything to do with sexism. If the women’s game was as marketable as the men’s game, it wouldn’t make sense to have a morning game during the week.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Oh, I gotcha Realme.

J-Dub, I pull for UK in all sports, but I’m sorry, women’s sports outdrawing men’s will always be few and far between. I know there are some exceptions like pro tennis and maybe some others, but that’s rare. Also, I forgot that minor league baseball teams will do this also in an effort to promote schools bringing kids for a lunchtime game. When my daughter went to a certain school, her entire grade went to a Montgomery Biscuits game.

Also, major league teams used to have early games on Wednesdays a lot, and they called them “Business Man Specials”, or at least the Braves did. It would not be PC to call it that any more probably, but they may still do those early times. I dunno.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Have to disagree J-D; they’re my favorite. Last night I was watching a video of Mary Hopkin singing “Goodbye”…gawd, she was cute, fell in love…again.
      The reason I looked that up was funny; I was listening to XM’s Beatle station, and that song came on. I was humming along, and then thought, hey that’s not Mary Hopkin…sounds like the Beatles, and I knew they didn’t record that.
      Turns out it was a demo recorded by McCartney that he recorded and sent to Hopkin. Really stumped me there for a while.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Men’s sports out-draw women’s sports because of sexism. Men don’t respect women and think we’re less than. Women had to fight to even play sports because men thought we should be home popping out babies. Women’s sports still don’t receive the marketing or funding that men’s sports do.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Baseball teams still do the early Wednesday games a lot of times for travel purposes. Teams have Monday or Thursday off most weeks of the season, so at least one of the teams might need to hit the road at a decent time to get to that Thursday destination. The Reds have been calling it the Business Day Special for awhile now.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

I’m far from sexist, but men are just physically stronger and faster, so sports that depend on this are by nature going to be more exciting to watch because of that. But I do appreciate the women’s sports for the fact that they are usually more fundamentally skilled and disciplined. Years ago I played in a competitive men’s volleyball league, and we were the only court that night that was men’s – the rest of the courts had women’s leagues. On the court next to us was an open women’s league where the majority of the players were ex-college or high-level HS players. Man, that was fun to watch! They had some battles, and if you wanted to see the game played the “right way” in it’s purest form with great fundamentals showcased, that’s what you wanted to watch. Now of course they were playing on a women’t net which is 7 inches lower, so they could attack the ball much better than they would have done on a men’s 8 foot net. Maybe women’s basketball should play on a lower rim to allow for dunking the ball. That might up the excitement level.

4. DelrayCat
    10:34 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

News Flash: SEC basketball is going to be hot garbage this year except for 4-5 teams. No way this league gets 7-8 bids.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

It’s going to be that way across all the conferences. A lot of parity this year – not a lot of standouts. Louisville looked good, Duke too, but both of those teams have had off nights themselves as well. Louisville had to labor to beat a mid-major last week.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

That kid UGA got (who UK was after) looks like a top-5 pick.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Oh Good Lord, time for the earbuds to come out!

6. Realme
    10:42 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Seriously? The show is only 45 minutes to start with, and they let Ky Joe make me turn it off early? I did get it off with only one throat clearing making it to my ear, so that’s a win.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am December 4, 2019 Permalink

Ha! I got a phone call and missed him entirely. Listening to the UK Hoops game now.

• J-Dub421