KSR Show Thread 12/26: Welcome Back, Matt!

Matt Jones is back on the radio! After five weeks away, he has plenty to say. You don’t want to miss his return to the airwaves with Ryan Lemond, Drew Franklin and Shannon the Dude.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

65 Comments for KSR Show Thread 12/26: Welcome Back, Matt!

1. Realme
    10:05 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Someone else talk. I too tired.

10:08 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I here! But I have things to do at home so I don’t know how much commenting I’ll do.

Go Cats. Beat Louisville.

10:26 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Same here, cg. I’m taking off work until 1/6, and actually have nice weather to complete projects outside, like install Ring devices we got for Christmas, etc. I’m perfectly content to wait until later in the winter to be cooped up inside. Happy Louisville Hate Week, everybody! Even though every week is a good week to hate Louisville.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

You guys are making me envious having all this time off! Speaking of which, the boss is leaving for another 2 week Bahamas cruise next week – at least his third this year. Must be nice! Oh well, I guess us peons will get to hold down the fort again…

10:33 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

cg, sometimes having the boss take a vacation is almost as good as an actual vacation for yourself. 😉

10:35 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

RCF, not cg. Coffee hasn’t fully kicked in yet.

10:36 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I always marvel at how smoothly things run when both managers happen to be gone at the same time…

• CrystalBall
      10:57 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Wish everyone a happy, healthy, safe, prosperous new year. Really enjoy reading all your interesting and entertaining comments. While we may have disagreements and differing opinons, if we were of a like nature all tbe time, life would be kinda boring. So continue your comments, and continue to cheer for the Cats. Happy New Year everyone.

11:00 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Thanks, CB. You too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Nice comment CrystalBall, and wishing you the same. 🙂

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:06 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

3. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Kind of a strange Christmas for me. We had both sides of the family over on Saturday and Sunday, so we really didn’t have much going on for Christmas Eve and Christmas. Actually put the top down on the convertible and went for a cruise yesterday. Warm weather didn’t make it feel like Christmas, but I ain’t complaining.

10:20 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, Christmas in Dixie had no snowing in the pines either.

10:24 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Husband and I went hiking and later Christmas light viewing by ourselves on Tues, and then did Wed with family early, home by like 2. It was awesome.

Speaking of lights. Went to the Chinoe house for the first time. It was unbelievable. Gates were open and people were just milling around in a smiley daze. Even my grinchiest of husbands felt some Christmas spirit.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Realme, where is the Chinoe house? I haven’t heard of that one. I saw where the people who put on the Jack O’Lantern Spectacular in Iroquois Park are doing a massive Christmas light display. Wondering if that is any good.

10:32 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

It’s on Chinoe Rd in Lexington, near Tates Creek. 1008, I think, but you can’t miss it. Everyone should go see it next year. It’s that good.

10:36 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Btw, thanks a lot for the Alabama song that is now stuck in my head, cg!

10:43 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Realme, that sounds like my kind of Christmas. I get called a Grinch sometimes for not being into most of the stuff that goes along with Christmas. Guilty.

10:44 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Haha.

10:45 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I’m curious. Where did you go hiking? I assume it was close to Lexington unless you all went out of town to visit relatives.

10:52 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

The Pinnacles in Berea. First time there, and it was really nice.

10:52 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of songs stuck in my head, I had a heck of a time for a couple of days with that “Turn Around, Look at Me” song that is featured in that Volkswagen commercial after seeing it a few times. It took listening to the song all the way through a couple of times to make it go away. The struggle is real!

11:01 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I always know insomnia is coming when I wake up in the middle of the night and a song is playing in my head.

11:12 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I hear that Lou City had a record high of 69 for Christmas. Montgomery’s is 82 set in 1987.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Early on I also thought Brooks would be a lot better than he has been. I just think that this year’s class nationwide has been kind of weak. It may be a sample of what the college BB landscape will look like if they eliminate the one-and-done rule.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

After two losses in a row, I just can’t find myself being as positive about the University-6 game as the boys at KSR are being.

10:25 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Me either. Except that we pretty much always beat them, so lets just keep it going. My Card fan cousin in law thinks we will win.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I rarely get any smack talk from the U6 fanbase anymore since we have basically owned them since Cal has been here. Kind of nice!

10:32 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I’m not really fired up about this one, honestly. But like Realme said, it’s Louisville. Death, taxes and beating UofL in basketball.

10:35 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I’m more excited to watch the bowl game. Dad asked to make plans a couple Saturdays from now during a bball game, and it doesn’t even bother me…

10:47 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Same, Realme. And I am probably even a little more interested in getting into spring practice for next year. I don’t know what has happened to me. It has nothing to do with some perceived decline in the basketball program, I’m just a bigger fan of the game of football than I am of the game of basketball, and UK football is finally on the rise now.

10:56 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Well, I replied that I am in that same place, Clutch, but got moderated. I’m going to go type something obscene now so I can get moderated for a reason.

11:01 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

The mod bot is clearly a basketball-only fan.

11:14 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Well, the streak has to end sometime, just like our oblong ball UF and UT losing streaks, and our winning streak against USC ending this year.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Hot take – R O C K S is Aerosmith’s best album.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I think Anthony Edwards would have absolutely been a difference maker for us – more so than Blackshear, IMO.

11:15 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

But our biggest problem is inside play IMO. However, he would help our guard play no doubt.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I thought Edwards is a big man. ???

• 4everUKBlue
      11:24 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Surely Edwards will regret his decision to play for UGA at some point, if not already.

11:27 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I thought he was a PG. Maybe I’m wrong. I don’t watch recruiting as obsessively as some.

8. classof68
    10:50 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Don’t know why the Cal apologists think next year’s recruits are going to be any better than this year’s. One top ten player and at least two 4 star players. And the notion that we aren’t getting as many top 10 players is because more schools are going after them is a stretch. For years Roy Williams has complained UNC have gone after the same players as UK, but they never got them.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Far Cal!!! 😀

10:55 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

So, what’s your solution? People complain about getting a bunch of 5 star players, and then some other people complain about having a couple of 4 stars mixed in. And why does it have to be “Cal apologists” vs whoever?

• RealCatsFan
      10:56 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

And in regards to next year’s class, who knows? Total roll of the dice. Who is a can’t-miss prospect for next year? I will say that Cal needs to end his losing streak on bringing in a quality big man, a 5 in particular.

10:58 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Like Matt said, if you don’t like one and done, this right here is what you asked for. All of these guys can make a really solid team if you give them a few years… They’re just not mega stars.

10:59 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Yes, RCF. I can’t wait for the day we have an elite shot blocker again. It’s demoralizing watching us be the team getting blocked a ton.

11:00 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Good point, RCF. As guard-focused as the college game is, Cal’s teams need an elite big man to go with all those positionless guys. Guys getting beat off the dribble has been happening from the beginning, but his best teams have had that shot blocker backing them up.

11:17 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Yes, a rim protector is soooooooooo valuable, but also, it’s sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun to watch when you see the other team’s player dribble out of the land because he don’t won’t no mo’! I vividly remember that happening in the game against KU in the 14-15 season.

11:18 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

lane…

• 4everUKBlue
      11:21 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I love how people drop comments like classof68’s then disappear and never respond to the responses.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I remember Nerlens doing that to Miss St. Except they didn’t get the memo, and kept trying to challenge him inside. I think it was just a week or so after that when he got hurt, and he was just starting to hit his stride. I still think that team would have gone to the tournament and won a game or two if he was healthy. Another reason to hate Florida – their stupid court setup was partially to blame, IMO.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

4Ever, I think it is the same personality type that will let out a SBD at a cocktail party and then slip away.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:36 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

RCF I hadn’t equated it to that but I think you’re on the money.

12:33 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

Somebody lit a match that completely destroyed that SBD, but that comment seems to have disappeared.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:29 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I think Ryan has a point. We didn’t adjust to UNCheat’s adjustments to get Isaac Humphries open when he was hitting everything in the elite 8 game.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

RE- Rupp atmosphere: I used to think that they need to do something to set up decent wifi in Rupp for people using their phones, but looking at my kids (and a lot of adults), I am starting to rethink that. Seems like the fans might be more into the action on the court if they didn’t have the distraction of their phones. Look at how many people are working their thumbs when the camera pans the lower arena at Rupp. Almost makes me want to have the crowd drop their phones in a basket like we used to do with mu daughters’ volleyball teams at tournaments. 🙂

11. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I missed the Eddie Murphy episode of SNL. Heard he was good. Might have to go look for it.

11:47 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I saw the Mr. Robinson’s sketch on YouTube. The idea that his neighborhood is now gentrified now is funny, but otherwise it was mildly funny at best IMO. I haven’t seen anything else.

11:48 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

now now now. lol

12. RealCatsFan
    11:47 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

Bevin pardoning hundreds of people was basically his way of giving a big middle finger to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. What a dick!

11:48 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

This is the first I’ve heard of this, and it doesn’t sound good for sure.

11:53 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

I genuinely don’t understand where his head was at with some of them, it’s sickening. Didn’t know they were among hundreds of others. Maybe he just didn’t look into them at all, pardoning all the petitions blindly.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:58 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

There a few that were ridiculous but the one convicted of raping a 9 yr old was the worst IMO. Or was it a 6 yr old?

• 4everUKBlue
      12:00 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

12:38 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

I was willing to give him a pass for some of his questionable ways of doing things until this. The fact that there is no accountability for such pardons is an eye opener. Hopefully the sexual predators get what’s coming to them and the current or future governor can just pardon the friend or relative that took care of the situation.