KSR Show Thread 12/2: Celebrating the Louisville win

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will celebrate Saturday’s big win over Louisville, including all of the salty, salty tears from Cards fans in the hours since. This is a show you won’t want to miss.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

84 Comments for KSR Show Thread 12/2: Celebrating the Louisville win

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:57 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Guys, I managed to use my mad computer skills to capture audio of Scott Satterfield during his post-game convo with Stoops:

L’s down 4ever.

• runningunnin.454
      10:00 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Hee Haw, Tee Hee, snicker snicker…GUFFAW. You win the internet today.

10:11 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

*takes a bow* Haha.

The best response I heard was on Sunday Morning Sports Talk. They read a tweet where a UK fan said “They weren’t doing L’s down. They were just throwing up a 7 every time we scored!”

• cats646
      10:17 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Lol. Geez dude, I thought you were being for real. Haha

10:23 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I have some computer skills, but not quite to that level. To think I could have Rick-Rolled you guys!

2. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I understand UL has a bowl game coming up; just a suggestion, but they might want to work on that run defense.

10:02 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

They might want to work on defense, period. Every Louisville fan I know was way overconfident before that game (except for my husband who is a realist). Louisville let Syracuse score 34 on them the week prior. Syracuse is terrible. I didn’t think we’d curb-stomp Louisville quite that badly, but I thought we’d win handily.

• StillBP
      10:06 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

lol J-Dub I was going back and forth with a Louisville fan yesterday and I told him his feelings must be hurt after that curb-stomping they got from us.

My comment was in response to him saying “we won 2 games last year and 7 this year. Y’all won 10 last year and 7 this year. We are clearly on the come-up and you all are on the way down.” Seriously…he seriously thinks that.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:08 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

“We were so horrible that a three- win season shows we are an up and coming powerhouse”?

10:09 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

BP, apparently that’s what UL coaches have been telling our commits (and maybe other recruits) based on what Vince Marrow said.

• StillBP
      10:13 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

not surprising that their coaches are as desperate as their fans.

10:31 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

We lost our starting QB for the year. We would likely have been an 8-9 win team with Terry.

10:38 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

As Mark Buerger said yesterday morning, we were still like 5 feet from being 9-3 with the goal line stop against UT, and the missed field goal against UF. Of course you can add a few other things (if Sawyer falls on that fumble against UF instead of trying to pick it up for one).

3. 4everUKBlue
    10:03 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I felt like Superman after an encounter with L-Kryptonite on Thanksgiving, the LittleBrother blowout was instrumental in my recovery.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

UL football team took a bath in pink kryptonite Friday night, heee haaaw.

4. Realme
    10:12 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Summary of Louisville fan responses to a loss (adapted from Twitter):
    10 points or less: The refs were so unfair.
    10-20: The refs were “bias” and the other team cheated.
    Beat down: Yeah, but you’re classless for being happy about it. No respectable team would celebrate a win like that.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

A lot of the Louisville fans are saying that the results might have been different if it wasn’t raining. Oh yeah, and their QB had a tummy ache. 🙂

10:32 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

We took Louisville to the woodshed. It was fun. Oh look! I think Bowden just scored again!

• StillBP
      10:57 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub we’re having similar commentary about the game. Earlier this morning I walked by one of my employees who is a Louisville fan and I said “I think Bowden just ran another TD on yall”

11:02 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Ha!

• makeitstop
      11:32 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

lol wait, there thesis if it wasn’t raining we wouldn’t hv rushed for 517 yards? If it wasn’t raining they would’ve blocked better, and we wouldn’t have 13 TFL? Or if it wasn’t raining they could’ve brought the underage hookers and been more motivated? Cards fans, practice tip: when u lose by a play or two, talk about weather, luck or refs. When u get crushed like that, just shut up and say “career game, congrats, see u next year.” Or is that more class than they can muster?

5. JTHinton
    10:12 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Aside from proximity to Lexington, what is the argument for Music City over Gator?

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I have not been to J-Ville, but from what I gather the nightlife is FAR superior in Nashville.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I kind of have Music City Bowl fatigue after so many trips there. I’ll take Jacksonville, if that is the alternative. Belk Bowl would be better than those two, imho.

10:44 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I can understand that, especially if you went during the Brooks years (I really thought we were going to the Sugar Bowl the year we beat #1 LSU, but it was not to be). You know Nashvegas wants the Big Blue Mist there though. Maybe next year we’ll go to a “sweeter” bowl!

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I was going all the way back to the Mumme years. It’s nice to have a strong UK contingent there, but it’s kind of boring to just go to Nashville.

• makeitstop
      11:38 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Gator pays less apparently – like $2m less but is more prestigious. I’d take Gator myself.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Wow, that was an ass-whooping for the ages. I almost felt guilty for gloating in front of my friends and co-workers who are UL fans. Almost. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Don’t feel guilty. This ass-whooping was way more satisfying than the one last year because they actually had their arrogance back for this one, and expected to just waltz into Kroger Field and win.

7. Realme
    10:14 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

If we had a really, really stupid hand gesture (basically the universal sign for loser), I would expect it to be mocked by rivals. Give me all of the Ls down and all the tears.

10:31 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I always thought the “Hook ’em Horns” was pretty cool ever since I was a kid, but I have a friend who moved to Oklahoma to marry a guy out there. The first time they go to an Okie State game she asks “Why is everyone doing the ‘Loser’ sign?” Ha.

Anyway, lots of folks criticize Texas (and I was among them) because they got the Big 12 to declare the “Horns down” gesture a taunting penalty. However, someone linked an article on Twitter (I think it was actually Terry Meiners, and he didn’t seem to have a problem with L’s down) where Mack Brown said one of his players was flagged for mocking TTech by putting the guns in his holster after scoring (Tech does the guns up too). So, he complained to the league and said if that’s taunting then Horns Down should be too. If that’s true I don’t blame Texas.

10:35 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Here is the text of Meiners’ tweet, and a link to the article with the history of “The petty, wonderful and delightfully weird rise of Horns Down”

Whining about “Ls Down” is pointless. For some players & their fans, competition elicits derision and vilification for rivals. That’s a personality trait. Don’t want to be taunted? Score more points. ?
      Read: “The petty wonderful weird rise of Horns Down” http://tinyurl.com/y6nnjrpu

• Realme
      10:36 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Oh yeah, that’s absurd that the “horns” are now sacred or something by rule. I was shocked when Louisville didn’t try to get a similar ruling.

10:38 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Any team like Louisville that has a hand gesture that their players and fans run around throwing in opponents faces, can’t turn around and whine when opposing players and fans mock them with it when they lose. It’s hypocritical.

10:41 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Yes, but again, if a ref truly did flag a Texas player for doing that against Tech, there should be consistency. I don’t think it should be a penalty regardless. I didn’t necessarily think the Ole Miss player should have been flagged, but I kinda wouldn’t want a player doing that if I had my kid at that game, so that’s more understandable IMO (and if he knew that would draw a flag, well then…).

10:42 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Oh, and lot’s of folks have said UL players were doing a “U down” against Miami too.

10:47 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Wouldn’t throwing L’s or horns up, also be considered taunting? Either all hand gestures (not of the single digit variety) should be considered taunting, or none of them are. If horns down is taunting, then horns up is also taunting. You can’t have it both ways.

• Realme
      10:58 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Yes Jdub, that’s the only logical way to enforce non-obscene hand gestures as penalties. Not that they should be at all, but if they are, then no one can do it. Common sense. Oh wait… This is the NCAA we’re talking about.

• StillBP
      11:06 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

hey at least we aren’t running around on all 4s pretending to pee on them. Now THAT’S obscene! ha

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, BP; Ole Miss did that in the Miss State game, were penalized 15 yards and missed the PAT…lost by one point.

• StillBP
      11:13 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I saw that rg. Did that player really think he wouldn’t get flagged for that, or did he just not care? What an idiot.

11:26 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Wow, that’s next level stupidity.

11:27 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I agree J-Dub, it should be all or none. Mack Brown’s point was (supposedly) his player got flagged for, basically, a Guns Down gesture, but Tech players weren’t being flagged for Horns Down. I agree though. If “Anything Down” is taunting, then “Anything Up” is as well.

If we come to that, our players can just do the “C-A-T-S” motions on the sideline. lol

BTW, I have said this before, but there is something wrong with a penalty called “Excessive Celebration”. It’s a GAME and is SUPPOSED to be fun!!! That’s why it’s called a game!
      “Okay guys, you can have SOME fun, but not TOO much! You can only be SO happy when you score! NO! Not THAT much dancing! Keep it under 2 seconds!!!”

8. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

This game did a good job to take my mind off of my older daughter totaling her car on Wednesday morning. Fortunately no one was hurt, she didn’t hit anyone else, but her car is trashed. Now it’s Monday and I have to deal with it. 🙁

• Realme
      10:17 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Glad she’s all right. That still sucks though.

10:22 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Wow! I’m glad she’s okay.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Good to hear she is okay. Cars can be fixed or replaced. Dealing with that sucks, but it beats the alternative.

10:43 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

That sucks. Glad she’s okay though. I blew out a tire on my way to Thanksgiving dinner. Long story short, I have 4 new tires now. That was expensive.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, we were very thankful. Could have been much worse. I’m probably going to have to break out my gearhead bodywork skills and try to fix it up myself to be driveable. It’s just going to be ugly for a while, but it will be safe and roadworthy. Other than side and rear window being busted out, it is completely drivable. She slid into a tree while backing up. Crushed the rear door and corner of the car, but just cosmetic (albeit very expensive) damage. Shame it was a nice little car.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:32 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Glad to hear she is ok and safe. Good luck with the autobody work- would far prefer mechanical repairs with my meager skills though.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Glad she didn’t hit a car full of Amish like Drew did! 🙂

I have done about 12 overall paint jobs through the years, but I don’t have the time or the facilities to do much with this one. Problem is that most body shops won’t touch it because it is an older vehicle (albeit low mileage and in fantastic shape). Most people advise me to just scrap it and get something else, but it was in such good shape and it is hard to find another vehicle with less than 80K for a few thousand dollars (my budget). It was my dad’s car, so I guess there is a bit of a sentimental attachment for us as well.

9. cats646
    10:22 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I honestly think that if we didn’t lose Terry we would’ve won 9-10 games this season. Amazing after who all we lost. Stoops is killing it! I hope he’s here for the long haul!!

• JTHinton
      10:54 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Me too — we were a couple last minute plays away from 9 in 2017, and a couple last minute plays away from 9 this year as well despite the injuries. We have so much potential these next few seasons, so I think we will be looking at consistency with 8-9 wins

10:57 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Good news, we get Terry back next season!

10. ClutchCargo
    10:22 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Man, what a way to end the regular season! Got lucky with the Pocket Pass seating for this one and ended up in the lower bowl under the upper level overhang. The icing on the cake was on the bus ride back to KSBar parking lot when the UofL fan who likes to paint himself up to look like a cardinal (his pic has been on here a few times with the red body paint, red wig and nose painted yellow to look like a beak) was on our bus! And he had that same look of despair that he has in the pic that is used on here sometimes.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Shout out to O-Line and to the defense for shutting them down in the 2nd half.

10:41 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Our O-Line was dominant this season. When everyone knows you’re going to run it, and you run it all over them anyway. That’s what dominance looks like.

10:45 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely, 100.

12. Realme
    10:43 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I wonder how confident the coaching staff was when they first put Bowden in as QB. I didn’t know what to expect, but I had no idea the fact that he’s not much of a passer wouldn’t matter AT ALL.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Bowden’s 284 yards is the most by a QB in a game in SEC History…think about that, that’s just amazing.

10:56 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Bowden is just so dynamic. Also, I think it was a leadership thing. The rest of the team loves and respects Bowden, and will follow him into battle. We looked lost and out of sorts with Smith at QB. Part of that was that he hadn’t been here very long, and that’s not Smith’s fault. TW had become the de facto leader of our team because he put in the time and the work to make it happen. Bowden was going to have to be the one to step up and lead, and other things clicked into place when he did.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:47 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

4ever, I hate to ask you this again, but can you repost your links to those filters for Adblock with your short tutorial? I cannot understand at all how I can’t see comments on Chrome at work but I can at home. I didn’t think I did anything different when I set it up both places but maybe I did.

• Realme
      10:56 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Chris I had that problem (Chrome with Adblock plus) and it just started working on a day I hadn’t made any changes. A few days before I had deleted all the filters and added just the ones he listed, but nothing changed immediately. I don’t know if that worked a few days later, or if KSR just stopped glitching for me. I saved the address for adding filters https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions#type_ads but can’t help with a tutorial. Just bumbled through my settings until I found it. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      11:15 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

So my adblocker+ is blocking comments when using a browser(Firefox mobile)?
      Did not even see a spot to log-in on the “upgraded” KSR Site.
      TBF, I have been out of the loop quite a bit since July.

11:22 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Ahhhh!!!! I started monkeying around with Adblock and broke it. Now I can see comments on Chrome but there are all kinds of ads, including those stupid fly-in ads (again, somehow at home I can see comments but don’t have nearly as many ads…weird). The Adblock interface seems to look a lot different than the last time I messed with it so I screwed up. It claims it’s blocking ads but it isn’t, at least not much on this site.

Oh well, thanks for the help guys. I’ll check it out later.

14. CATandMONKEY
    11:05 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

What a great destruction of the filthy pigeons.
    I sought schadenfreude after the game, visiting the [email protected] about an hour post-game, only to find 5 comments on their ” UofL got embarrassed” thread.

They really thought the weather was a major factor… because, you know, rain doesn’t affect both teams…SMH.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I guess you could argue that after what, four games we are getting used to it. Kind of like Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago in the NFL. 🙂 I was talking to a coworker Wednesday who is a UL fan and saying that the weather could play into UK’s favor, and he said that UL had also played in some bad weather and that he didn’t think it would be a factor. He didn’t think UK could handle UL’s offense. To be honest, I was a little worried about it too, but I had no doubt that they wouldn’t stop our ground game.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:20 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I guess the weather somewhat favored our run-heavy(understatement) offense and did hamper their passing game. Would never admit that to my UofL people.

• StillBP
      11:09 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I admit I ventured to that site Sunday morning to find delight in the comments. Lots of funny ones. They at least took solace in their women’s bball team beating the #1 ranked team. Then they started talking about how their men and women could both be ranked #1 this week. That won’t happen, their women won’t jump that high. But it would be funny if both teams were ranked #1 and our men and women beat both while ranked #1.

• Realme
      11:10 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Rain probably hurt their offense, but we still would have run all over them, and our defense hasn’t let ANYONE score over 30, let alone Louisville. Score may have been closer, but UK would have won regardless.

11:10 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

We are experienced rain warriors. Nice to see you again, by the way.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:27 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Glad to be back- though will probably remain less active on here than the past- work schedule has changed to be during the show and minor stroke back in June led to a change in priorities- (doing fine, no residual issues but was a serious wake up call)

Show thread folks remain THE BEST, as in evidence again today.

• StillBP
      11:10 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I wasn’t 100% that we could win, but I did keep telling y’all they needed to put up over 30 to win and our defense doesn’t let other teams score over 30. So kinda…I told you so…haha

• StillBP
      11:12 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

*would, not could. Of course I knew we could win!

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Only thing that I predicted that didn’t happen was time of possession…we just scored too damn fast. But, I’ll take it.

• Realme
      11:35 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Glad your stroke didn’t leave any long term issues.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

C&M, that is scary! My brother had a very mild stroke in his cerebellum a couple weeks ago. He is doing well with no lasting issues, but wow, it sure does put you in touch with your mortality. I think they are going to put him on some monitors to make sure it was not caused by A-Fib. Hope all goes well for you and you have continued good health!

11:43 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

C&M, glad you’re okay, all things considered. Drop in any time.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:06 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Stoops will rightly get a lot of credit for this year, but a lot of thanks also needs to go to the supporting coaching staff. OL coach, QB coach, and the defense for growing up so fast. And of course, the Big Dog for bringing in all that talent – especially Lynn Bowden!

16. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Hey, let’s hear it for our UK Volleyball team for three-peat of SEC Championship! And they get to host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament. We really need to get the fans in there and pack the place this weekend. We plan to be there.

Side note – Nick Richards was with Leah for senior day, so I am still hopeful that they will get married and their progeny will someday be an awesome athlete(s) at UK. 🙂

11:28 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

Leah won SEC player of the Year too.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I’ve enjoyed watching the Volleyball team this year…awesome. Finally was able to see the Women’s Basketball team yesterday; they’re fun to watch, too.

• StillBP
      11:47 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

rg I watched the women too. Man, they are so good. I can’t wait for the game against Whoisville. Dec 15 at Rupp. Got my tix, ready to go!

17. StillBP
    11:43 am December 2, 2019 Permalink

I think one thing has been overlooked in our celebrations. We are happy to have the Govenor’s Cup stay in Lexington, but just think how happy the Cup is to not go to Louisville’s facilities…I’m sure things go on there that the cup wants no part of. Victory for us and the Cup!