KSR Show Thread, 12/19: Vanetti hosts the show with STD

Ryan Lemond and I are out today to recharge our batteries for Friday’s remote in Lexington, so we decided to hand the microphone over to someone we can trust with the program for two hours. But then we couldn’t find anyone to fit that description so Tony Vanetti is in charge because he was readily available down the hallway. He and Shannon The Dude will take your calls and I know you got ’em after last night.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

76 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 12/19: Vanetti hosts the show with STD

1. StillBP
    9:58 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

hopefully he has access to antibiotics for that.

• runningunnin.454
      10:02 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Har har hee haw…penicillin is a life saver.

10:08 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Hee Haw!

10:10 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s a rough way to host a show. Get some protection on that mic!

10:20 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I missed whatever u are referring to. What was dat?

10:22 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Just the title of the post, Chris.

10:32 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Oh, I didn’t see that. Haha. Whatever happened to calling it VD?

• StillBP
      10:37 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

chris I think STD and VD are both out the door now in our politically correct world. I think it’s STI now…infection, not disease.

10:42 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

An infection by any other name…

2. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

You know, Confucius was a great basketball coach, and Confucius say, “team who only try to play last 10 minutes of game will not win; you be dead Peking Duck.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Confucius also say, “He who fart in church must sit in own pew.” 🙂

3. Realme
    10:07 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

We all know UK got out played and out coached last night, Coach. How are we gonna STOP getting out played and out coached? Not that I’m sleepy and grumpy or anything. Hope Ryan had a really good post game rant, and that it is up on podcast.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m going on my rant again. Don’t like Cal’s philosophy of leaving your man to chase the ball and double down, leaving open shooters.
      Even, Bill Walton in his usual stupor, said “why are UK players leaving their man…stay with your man”.

10:13 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, the out-played and out-coached thing has gone from taking responsibility to being a crutch. Utah had no business beating this team. None.

10:15 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I know! How many times did we collapse on them, so they kicked it out for an open three? 28?

• StillBP
      10:15 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

So glad I didn’t attempt to stay up. Dvr’d it to watch today, but just gonna delete after everything I’ve heard. I just didn’t have a good feeling about it. Taking them 3 hours out of their time zone to play a game against a team only an hour off that time isn’t setting them up for success. Yes, I know they were there a few days before. yes, I know they’re young and stay up late. But they’re typically not playing basketball against another NCAA team at 11pm, while Utah is more used to playing that time frame. We are more talented and should have won on paper. But we’re young and still need more development and playing at 11pm just isn’t something they were ready for.

• StillBP
      10:18 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I know the MI St game was late. I’m not blaming the loss solely on the time. Just saying it sounded like a terrible idea from the jump, so I didn’t feel like we were going to play a good game.

10:19 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know if the game time affected them or not. Have seen them play that bad at various times. Remember being in college, and you could just stay up all night, no big deal? I would be comatose if I did that now…

10:22 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

And despite my bluster, I did not listen to nor try to call the post game. However, I did go to bed with my earbuds in and woke up hearing Ryan, turned off my device and went back to sleep. Awful game.

• StillBP
      10:27 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

true, Real, they have played that bad at normal times. One of the reasons I said I don’t blame the loss solely on the time. I just think it was setting them up for failure. Sure, they could have/should have overcome that setup, but they didn’t and I’m not surprised. Yes, I remember the good ol days when I could stay up all hours and still function…but let’s be honest, we weren’t functioning at our best, just good enough to get through and better than we could now!

10:41 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of Walton, the guy who filled in for Tom this morning said his play by play guy has had to tell him “Bill, we’ve got a 2 point game here” when he was on a tangent, and Walton says “They can see the game! They don’t need me to tell them what’s going on!” Lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, can you imagine if Walton was a radio color commentator? Wha happenin, is there a 10 minute timeout?

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I watched most of the first half, and I could see a loss coming in the first ten minutes. They just looked disinterested in my opinion. This team just thinks they can turn it on whenever they want.

11:48 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

That win over MSU seems like years ago, and it didn’t do us any good going forward. Maxey was jacking up 3’s from anywhere on the floor with no remorse, and making them. Now he thinks he can always do that, but it hasn’t happened.

4. J-Dub421
    10:18 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Late to the show this morning and tired. Does Cal tell them to double and leave shooters open, or is that something they’re doing on their own?

10:23 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s a good question and one I would like Cal to be asked directly.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s Cal’s style, has been for several years. However, this is one of the worst shooting teams I have seen…reminds me of the John Chaney Temple teams.

10:28 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s kind of always been this way, along with always switching on screens. I do think this team can be a good shooting team, or at least not as bad as they have been so far.

College basketball is hard to watch right now, it’s not just us.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of shooting, last night Bill Walton said he played pro ball with former UK player, Larry Steele. He was a pure shooter, and we could use him on this team. He played on the Trail Blazers NBA championship team.

10:38 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

If he coaches that style, then no wonder we have the occasional Bubba Parham hitting 10 3’s.

10:45 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Oh man, I forgot he played with Steele! I remember UK playing the Portland Pilots when Steele was the coach, in the old UKIT I think.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Part of the shooting woes is lack of ball movement to get players clean looks. Too much parking lot ball dribble into traffic and heave something up. Run some offensive sets, for chrissake!

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:24 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

FOOTBALL RECRUITING THREAD:
    🙂

10:27 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

We will absolutely get Joel Williams today according to Justin Rowland. Will that be enough to move us up a notch in the rankings?

10:28 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Where are we now? 20?

• StillBP
      10:30 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

After we beat UofsmelL one of my Card fan friends told me to wait until next year when they had Chubba Purdy starting as a true freshman and lighting us up. Today I saw where Chubba flipped his commit to FL St. Laughing so hard at my friend. Of course he tried to blow it off with “I don’t let teenagers affect my feelings” hahahaha

10:32 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Ba ha ha ha! Did he even have the decency to de-commit first? Twitter made it sound like he was still committed to U6 and signed with someone else.

10:35 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

The 2nd best recruit name this year behind Octavious Oxendine.

• StillBP
      10:35 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Real – no, no decommit first hahahahaha Apparently he just visited FL St last weekend after being committed to Louisville since June. After the visit to FL St his dad said: “He’s not de-committing from Louisville, it’s a last-minute thing. Just got to go. Just to know that you know that you know. Maybe there is something there.” hahaha

10:36 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Do his receivers yell “CHUBBA CHUBBA!” when they’re open like “HUBBA HUBBA”?

10:37 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Wonder where their class is ranked today…

10:39 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

One of those little joys in life is laughing at your UofL fan cowrkers, BP! lol He probably didn’t even have the self-awareness to realize how silly that comment was.

• StillBP
      10:40 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

according to Rivals we are 23 and little cousin is 39

10:42 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

A forecast of next year’s game, perhaps?

10:43 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Except in reverse. I will shut up now.

10:44 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Our defense is going to be even better next year. I can’t imagine they will sniff 23.

10:47 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, forget I said that. It was dumb. I am low functioning today. I may be passed out on my desk in a couple more hours.

11:07 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s taking more coffee than normal to jumpstart my brain, but I’m just about there. It’s weird, when I stay up too late, I might start off a little lower functioning, but I don’t get that afternoon lull that I normally would, and I’m actually sharper. Can’t do it every day, though.

11:13 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Rivals has us at 20 now. I think we would move up at least one spot but I don’t know for sure. South Carolina is just ahead of us.

Interestingly, Rowland this morning said the ONLY school with a better class of linemen is…Clemson! And he said that UK is winning by winning in the trenches. Hmmm…

11:21 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Eight – count ’em – EIGHT 4* or better linemen in this class. Rank them wherever, that is a friggin’ GREAT haul at positions where everyone else is after those guys.

• StillBP
      11:55 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

oops, that’s right Chris. I was looking at 247, not Rivals. My bad! Rivals has us at 20 and little cousin at 37

6. runningunnin.454
    10:40 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Somebody should tell Nick he’s 7 freakin’ feet tall; don’t shoot fall away jumpers in the lane.

7. J-Dub421
    10:43 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

We lost last night because we played like hot garbage. We did not shoot well or defend well.

That said, can we please get some decent officials who can tell their butts from a hole in the ground? The officiating is making the games almost unwatchable.

I watched the whole game on mute because I just can’t listen to Bill Walton.

10:44 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Do we have to have Walton again Saturday? I do agree with whoever said it was still better than 2019 Dickie V.

10:46 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

All true, J-Dub.

I actually did think to myself last night that crazy Bill Walton is still better to listen to than Dookie V. At least the banter between him and his play by play guy is funny and entertaining. But when there is an actual interesting non-Pac 12 game going on, it can be a little much.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Walton knows the game, though. He was right about UK leaving their man, and he was right about Utah pulling the ball out, and leaving the game plan that gave them the lead.

• StillBP
      10:49 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve seen people saying that Dickie V is more tolerable than Walton after last night. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that Vegas Walton is even more loco than “normal” Walton

10:49 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

The drugs he does really make a person dumber. I have a couple family members that evidence that. But I like when the other guy acts like he’s an idiot, and I’ve gotten used to announcers not bothering to talk about the game…

10:58 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Well, now I kind of want to see Dickie V and Bill do a game together. Can you imagine? Throw in senile Bobby Knight on the sideline. It would break television forever.

11:05 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Great idea, RM! Just don’t let it be a UK game, though. And all other games would be safe to watch while that other one is going on.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I must be the exception because I find Walton to be absolutely hilarious at times. But yeah, small doses. When he was off on one of his tangents in the first half and was quipping about Zion National park being named after Zion Williamson, he then said something about liking virgins, and even Mrs RCF thought that was pretty funny. He reminds me of the abominable snowman on Monsters Inc after a few bong hits.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Now that being said, he would be a lot funnier IF WE WERE WINNING THE DAMNED GAME!!

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:50 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t hate “A Christmas Song”, but I’ve always thought it was just kind of blah and boring. Nat had a great silky voice though, and the song was written by The Velvet Fog, who did a great turn on Seinfeld.

10:53 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Incidentally, I have Natalie’s CD of her dad’s songs, and it is fantastic.

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I remember Nat was in a movie called “Cat Ballou” with Lee Marvin and Jane Fonda…it was released after his death.
      He was also the first African American to host a TV variety show.

9. J-Dub421
    11:02 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Walton sems nice enough, and I’m not saying he has no basketball knowledge. He just annoys me, and I can’t listen to him ramble all the time. I actually watch a lot of games with no sound or the sound turned way down. Vitale and other get on my nerves also.

11:15 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I need someone to invent a way to watch a DVR’d game with the UK radio broadcast as the sound. Even when I watch games live, I tend to start a bit while later so I can skip through commercials and then be in real time closer to the end of the game.

• secrick
      11:33 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Get the 68 second delayed radio, always get to listen to Tom and the guys. It’s great. Ky can’t hit shots, not Cals fault he doesn’t get to shot but he has to figure something out. I love Ky and hate to say this but they just don’t look that good to me.

11:38 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

If the owner had not been forced by a certain network to take down UKBasketballLive.com, you could have used that. *sigh*

11:40 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s probably what I should do, secrick.

Occasionally, one of the NBA League Pass games will be just the video and audio feed from the arena, with no announcers at all. I wish that was an option for college games sometimes.

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:36 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

“Father Christmas” by the Kinks is awesome!

“But if you’ve got one I’ll have a machine gun
    So I can scare all the kids on the street.” Lol

11:39 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

That song actually does have a message about helping the poor.

11. J-Dub421
    11:55 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Emmitt Smith sounds like a good dad.

12. J-Dub421
    12:00 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

This season is going to be weird. Lots of teams are losing to teams they normally wouldn’t lose to. Whoever can peak at the right time will win the title. Coach Cal has a pretty good track record of doing just that, so I’m not going to panic.

• secrick
      12:19 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

No panic here either going to try and enjoy each game without thinking we have to win because like you said we are not going to win them all. I love Hagans defense, if not for him in the first half last night we would have been down 20.

13. 206Bones
    1:35 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I see the normal little circle jerk crew is here again today.