KSR Show Thread 11/5: Basketball talk, Pendleton County

Photo by Noah J. Richter | UK Athletics

Photo by Noah J. Richter | UK Athletics

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt will share some intel he’s hearing from basketball practice and the gang will discuss the latest developments with the election. If there’s time, they may even shine the spotlight on Pendleton County in Northern Kentucky.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

54 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/5: Basketball talk, Pendleton County

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:08 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

FIRST???!!!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Two days and we don’t know; Penn stops counting on election night; “hey, we have until Friday”?

10:23 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

In violation of their own election law no less, but I digress.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and someone needs to wake Nevada up from their drunken stupor. πŸ˜€

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Great song!

11:07 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

BTW, Matt is full of it about the ballot counting. Florida counted all their ballots the same day, and it’s not a small state.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I think the difference is that Florida started tabulating early and mail-in ballots as soon as they started rolling in. Some other states have legislation that does not allow ballot counting until election day. These differences have always been there, but it’s relatively rare that we have an election that’s as close as this one to put them in the spotlight.

I kind of wish we would have had a landslide one way or the other. Yes, we would still have division, but probably not with all the controversy and conspiracy theories that are happening now. This only makes things worse.

11:31 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

That’s all the more reasoning that early and mail-in should be banned (except absentee ballots for legit reasons). Sorry I’m so salty today.

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Well, the pandemic was the argument for the early and mail-in voting. I agree that the mail-in ballots should have been handled better – make it by request rather than automatic like it was in some states. There are so many conspiracy theories flying around right now it’s crazy.

And the POTUS wanting vote counting to continue in the states where he is behind but wanting them to stop in the states he is ahead looks, well, kind of sketchy. Can’t have it both ways. I guess they will sort it out eventually.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:24 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Man, you can’t mention Canadian artists without BTO & The Guess Who!!!

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Or Rush.

10:30 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

They mentioned Rush. I know they’re considered consummate musicians, but I can’t stand Estelle Geddy’s voice.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but Neil Peart was one of the best drummers in the business. RIP.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

They were all virtuosos, and I like listening to them for that reason. But man, they had some weird songs if you listen to the lyrics. But I guess that was kind of the art rock trend in their heyday.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Nothing weird about Red Barchetta. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I will admit that his voice sounds a bit like Mickey mouse on helium, but they still had some good songs. And I’m a sucker for a band with a great drummer.

10:48 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

BTW, I know it’s Geddy Lee, but he may as well be Estelle because that’s about who his voice sounds like. I don’t care if all the musicians were Mozart, his voice is awful.

• ClutchCargo
      10:53 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you RCF. My best friend growing up was a huge Rush fan, and an excellent drummer himself, and he got me hooked on them as a teenager. But they could play nothing but instrumentals, and I would like their music just as much or more.

10:56 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I should qualify that: I like the song “New World Man” because he doesn’t use the falsetto voice. He actually sounds good on that one. I suppose if I ever heard a whole album I might like them more.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Jon Anderson with Yes has a similar voice, and not everyone likes their music. But this episode of Rick Beato’s channel breaks down the song “Roundabout” and really makes you realize how good these guys were as musicians at the top of their game.

11:42 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

11:59 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Haha. JK. I didn’t know the lead singer of Yes shared that name, albeit a different spelling of the first name.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I hear that Canada is planning to build a wall of their own. And they are going to make the USA pay for it. πŸ™‚

5. ClutchCargo
    10:36 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

False sense of hope? Isn’t that what November basketball is all about? πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I only hope they can play the games. Would it be ridiculous to play the games without fans, and just televise them? And please, no fake cardboard fans.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

If that’s what it takes to get the games played, I say no fans.

10:59 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

How about crash test dummies?

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Only thing I would miss would be the crowd booing TV Teddy for his silly theatrics.

• ClutchCargo
      11:12 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Maybe TV Teddy could just be on a TV screen. I have a feeling he would really enjoy that, though.

6. cats646
    10:38 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Idk why I just now thought of this, but what ever happened to Nik Scalzo?

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Injured?

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I think I remember Stoops saying early on this year that the plan was for him to sit out this season. I’m guessing he was too busy rehabbing to really do much work on his game.

• cats646
      10:45 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Oh ok. I wasn’t sure if he transferred or was still hurt. I remember being excited about him but I haven’t thought of him since last year lol. Thanks for the info

10:47 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Sawyer Smith is available, although someone in the comments a week or so ago said his shoulder might still be banged up. I dunno.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Wow, tough call. I could not imagine what this caller has been going through. Losing his 8-year-old daughter in a tragedy, and now his wife is having issues. Prayers to you, my friend.

10:59 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t hear that. Beyond sad. I can’t imagine either.

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Hearing the pain in that guy’s voice makes me feel guilty for complaining about some of the relatively minor problems in life.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of BNL, their “Bare Naked For The Holidays” CD became a favorite with my girls, especially their version of “Jingle Bells”.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

But hey, let’s give Thanksgiving the respect it deserves. πŸ˜‰

9. ClutchCargo
    10:59 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Wonder if Harvey has anything for ED? πŸ˜€ It’s hilarious they had to cut him off and that ad came on.

10. Realme
    11:13 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m busy being driven bonkers by trying to set things right after getting a new hard drive, but I had to take one moment to say…
    If they say the words big hair very many more times, I am going to get into my car and go throw eggs at them.
    Also, the Wool Festival is great.
    Bye.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I am dealing with the same thing. Had a hard drive go bad on my home laptop – bought a new SSD for it, and now I am trying to salvage a drive image from the original, but not having much luck. And this made me decide to also upgrade the hard drive in my work laptop to a SSD, but the drive image that I copied over the the new drive is not playing well with the laptop so far. I hate computers!

11:33 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

RG has just a plethora of YouTube vids today. lol

11:39 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

It’s a good idea to either use cloud storage (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.) for your documents, or have a backup hard drive. The problem with the latter though is if the reason you lose your internal hard drive is a flood or fire or lightning strike, well, that obviously gets your backup also if it’s sitting on top of your PC. I use Google Drive for all my work stuff since we use Gmail and have unlimited storage in Drive, so I’m good there.

I also use online storage for my personal stuff, and I have a portable SSD also (1 TB of space which is plenty, at least for now), so at least I carry some of my backup with me. My problem is my personal stuff has outgrown the amount of free space I have on most of those services, so I may have to pony up one day.

• runningunnin.454
      11:40 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Chris, my wife once asked me if everything she says reminds me of a song; had to say, I guess so, ha ha.

11:43 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

My curse is everything reminds me of Seinfeld, but often a song also. Haha.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am November 5, 2020 Permalink

Oh my lawd! Make it stop!