KSR Show Thread 11/25: Recapping a busy weekend

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday of Thanksgiving week edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon are joined by Kyle Tucker to discuss a victorious weekend in UK sports. Tune in to hear their takes on the basketball team’s wins over Mount St. Mary’s and Lamar and the football team’s bowl-clinching dub over UT Martin.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

87 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/25: Recapping a busy weekend

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

3-0 weekend.
    “That’s the Way, uh huh, I Like It”
    SOMEBANDIREALLYDIDN’TCAREFOR

10:04 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I loved KC! Come on man. They had some funk elements to their grooves.

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Are you wearing your Boogie Shoes?

10:13 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

House shoes. Being lazy today while off work.

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

For me, all shoes are boogie shoes.

• CrystalBall
      10:37 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Hall and Oats.

2. Realme
    10:00 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Only for you guys would I turn off my ad blocker on this terrible website. I have no problem with ads. But 700 is too many.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Use firefox with adblock plus; there are no ads, and no problems. Thanks to StillBP.

10:08 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s weird. It’s not bad on Safari on iPad, but on Chrome on work PC, my blocker blocked the comment section last week. On Chrome at home (haha), not so. Weird. I’m off all week so maybe when I go back it’ll be better on Chrome.

I saw that Maria Taustine was replying to folks on Twitter and I tweeted her about the issues. She seemed to have no idea why I was seeing what I call “fly-in” video ads when I used a browser with no blocker. Anyway, she was courteous. Hopefully some of this will be worked out.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I can scroll down fast enough to make it work on the desktop. The free adblock bowser on my phone is a game changer! Zero issues with ads when using that.

10:10 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

And I am using an ad blocker on Safari on iPad.

• Realme
      10:10 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I’m trying to decide if my employer will notice if I download Firefox (or if it will allow me to). It’s not on here now, and it’s not like I can ask IT to help me out with my show thread participation.

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I tried the Firefox/adblock plus combo, and it was no different for me than Chrome/adblock plus. Blocking ads that way blocks the comment section for me.

• Realme
      10:15 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I saw where someone suggested tweaking adblock filters, but that didn’t help.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission with these things, Realme. 😉

• J-Dub421
      10:23 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I left adblock (on Chrome) on, but white-listed this site. That has worked for me.

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Good advice, Clutch.
      “I’d Rather Be Sorry For Something I’ve Done, than for Something that I Didn’t Do”.
      KK, who always fires up the Modbot

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

That’s how I do it now, J-Dub.

• Realme
      10:34 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

KSR is really the only reason I need the ad blocker.

• Realme
      10:35 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I’ll just turn it back on after the show. Refresh. Close obnoxious video. Repeat.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:03 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Go Blue! We won, eh! In case you didn’t watch it, YOUR Winnipeg Blue Bombers are the 107th Grey Cup champions after a thorough thrashing of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, 33-12!

10:12 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

And yes, I watched the Grey Cup instead of watching the Cats beat up on some dude named Lamar. Great weekend for the Cats though!

10:30 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

BTW, I was disappointed that UK Cat Chris Matthews is no longer with the team. They released him earlier in the season so he gets no Grey Cup ring. He is now a Montreal Alouette.

4. Realme
    10:11 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

TV scoreboard idiot noted their mistake, but didn’t give us our point when they took it back from Lamar.

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I’ve noticed that on the volleyball broadcasts, they often give the point to the wrong team. BTW, did you enjoy the 20 minutes of the Ole Miss volleyball match? I hear their audience dramatically skyrocketed there in the 4th set, hah.

• Realme
      10:23 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I forgot to tune in right at 6. So I was like, no problem, I’ll just start at the beginning and fast forward commercials. GRRRRRRR. Totally agree with Ryan, no offense to people who love volleyball.

• StillBP
      10:27 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I was dvr’ing the UK game, watching my Cowboys (ugh….why, what a waste of time) live. I was not happy when I thought I was going to watch the beginning of the Cats game. Missed the first 7 game minutes I think.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I’m a volleyball addict who will often watch matches of teams that I don’t even follow just because I like the sport, but even I got aggravated when there was no alternate feed of the UK basketball game. I probably would have set the DVR on the alternate channel and watched the end of the VB game, then scrolled back to watch the start of the game, but alas, no BB game. Oh well, at least we only missed the parts where we were slacking and letting that Lamar dude back in the game.

10:46 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Sunday night worship starts at 5:00 CST for us, so we weren’t home, and I left the DVR rolling for the Grey Cup. I might be able to catch the game on Watch ESPN today at some point.

That would have been maddening for me also though. ESPN knows how rabid BBN is, so I can’t believe they didn’t have a contingency plan in place for the possible overlap like they usually do.

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I like volleyball. My problem is with ESPN/the SEC Network screwing up scheduling. Figure out how long to actually need for volleyball games, and schedule accordingly. We’ve had multiple games preempted by volleyball, which should not happen.

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

The problem with college volleyball is that you never know how many sets it can go. If one team is dominant, it can be over very quickly in 3 sets and then you have a bunch of dead space to fill. If it goes 5 sets between two very competitive teams, and you go extra points (you have to win by two), then it can go way long. And it used to be worse than this back before they switched to rally scoring – back then, only the serving team could score, so you would sometimes see these marathon matches where the teams would keep siding each other out. Maybe they need to add a running clock to make it easier to package the sport for TV, but I just don’t know if that will solve the problem.

• ClutchCargo
      11:27 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

That’s a good point, RCF. Maybe just don’t schedule volleyball right before UK basketball, then.

5. Realme
    10:14 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Have we not talked about this new flopping rule or point of emphasis, whatever it is? WHY!? WHY was that not in place for Grant Williams? He thought flopping was a virtue.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Just another judgment call for the refs; and, I’ve seem them blow several…both ways.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Grant Williams and just about EVERY SINGLE dorky white dook guard.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

We go through this crap every season, it seems. Some new point of emphasis or other that they get way carried away with, and which goes out the window once conference play starts.

6. J-Dub421
    10:21 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Y’all, I’m beginning to think that Junior Nick Richards is the real deal. If Nick can play close to his potential, it’s a game changer.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Yes, it’s all mental for him; he has all the physical tools. He does finally seem to be engaged…hope he keeps it up.

• Realme
      10:24 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s nice to watch him enjoying himself. He is more confident, and thinking faster.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

He is showing signs. I need to see him bear down and compete like crazy in a rough, physical game before I’m totally convinced.

• J-Dub421
      10:26 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Nick has finally realized how good he is/can be. He was really raw when he came to UK, but everything is starting to click together for him. It’s exciting to watch.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I think he is figuring out that he is not going to physically overpower most other inside guys so he has to keep moving and use his length and quickness to his advantage.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:21 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Anybody else crazy enough to go to the UT-Martin game? My son and I lasted until halftime and then called it a day when we were up 29. On the way out, I spotted Le Docteur huddled against a wall on the concourse, shivering and teeth chattering uncontrollably. I offered him a hot chocolate I picked up at the concession stand, but he just slapped it out of my hand. As I walked away shaking my head, I could hear him muttering something about only liking Starbucks hot chocolate.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Lol. No, I had choir rehearsal (mandatory) from 1:00 to 3:30 and the went to Friendsgiving with my friends that night, right after the game was over.

• Realme
      10:25 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I considered it, but am glad I didn’t. Would probably still be trying to get warm.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

That’s too funny, ha ha ha ha.

10:28 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I’m disappointed there was no hot chocolate cup snake.

10:29 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I missed something. Who is Le Docteur? It’s funny even though I had to ask that!

• StillBP
      10:32 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

hilarious, clutch! I admit I kinda skimmed your comment at first and missed the Le Docteur part. I thought your kid slapped the hot chocolate away, I was thinking “what a brat” …that’s what I get for skimming!

• StillBP
      10:33 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

cg Docteur was crying on a post about a 7:30 game saying we were getting the shaft with the night time kickoff bc it’s too cold at night.

10:36 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

BTW, that reminds me of when I was in the ATL airport. I had just dropped off my wife and daughter who were flying to Canada to see family, and I was waiting to make sure the plane took off in good shape. I’m browsing in a little magazine/snack store and a lady asked the cashier if there was a Starbuck’s nearby. I pointed my finger and said “There’s a Seattle’s Best right there” (next door). She barely turned my way and said, very seriously, and somewhat sternly, “Seattle’s Best is not Starbuck’s!” Well, as Vicki Lawrence once said on “Mama’s Family”, “Excuse the (heck) out of me!” Okay, I didn’t say that, but holy cow, I’ll never make that mistake again! What’s wrong with “Thank you” and just not going to Seattle’s Best lady? Man. 🙂

• Realme
      10:36 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I thought only the media complained about night football games, which are the best.

10:38 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Oh, that IS hilarious Clutch!

8. Realme
    10:40 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Something is not right with Kash. He should be enjoying his final games.

10:42 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I REALLY hope he has a good game Saturday and that whatever’s going on is worked out.

We love you Kash!

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Remember, we commented about Kash last Friday when he was on the show; seemed depressed or something. He needs to get it together before next game.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I hate it for Kash. I think he is a good dude who is dealing with the emotions that come with the possibility of his football career coming to a close. Sounds like his draft stock has dwindled, and maybe he is looking back on a career that didn’t go the way he had expected. Remember, he was all about UK football in his first few seasons – he was involved in trying to bring in additional recruits and was a “spokesman” of sorts with the media. It can be tough when younger players start rising up and getting the attention. Add to that some of the injuries and the incident at the Florida game, and I can see why he might feel like the world is rising against him. He needs some good advice to listen to, and the willingness to do so.

11:06 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

It does seem that at time all I heard this year from ppl about Kash is how he can’t cover the pass because of a lack of speed. If he doesn’t make it in the NFL maybe there’ll be a spot in the XFL if that league can make a go of it. The CFL is even more pass-happy than the NFL.

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I still think he’ll become a professional wrestler.

9. J-Dub421
    10:40 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I think I’m ready for Kash to graduate. He’s becoming a distraction and a problem.

10. ClutchCargo
    10:41 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I saw the supposed altercation between Kash and a teammate on the replay. From what I saw, he was into it with an opposing player and shoved away Echols when he tried to intervene. Kash needs to calm down, though. We’ve been through this with Jordan Jones, et al, and we don’t need the selfishness eating into team morale.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I think Drew nailed it. Probably a proactive move by the coaching staff to just keep him out for the rest of the game.

10:48 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Good point. Maybe it was a good way to tell him “Look, we NEED you against the filthy Cards so you can’t do this!” We don’t want another trash can incident like 2 years ago.

11. Realme
    10:46 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

This kid is terrible. I’m sorry.

12. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

We’ll need Nick to bring it against Mississippi State. Have you watched them? They have like three guys who look like 30 year old NBA players, and are flying under the radar.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Haven’t seen them. Did they find some 30-year-old ex-NBA players and suit them up?

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Looked like it; and, we’re going to have problems with Emmitt Williams of LSU, too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I guess Cal needs to make some strong ass offers and get some big guys under the rim.

13. ClutchCargo
    10:55 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I can’t imagine how obnoxious this guy would be if he did drink several beers at KSBar.

• Realme
      11:05 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

He’s like the love child of Donny Baker and John Short.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:02 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

So I was driving in this morning listening to Tom Leach, and the usual boner and jewelry ads came on so I scanned through the stations. I landed on 790 – enemy territory, and heard one of the UL homers saying that Kentucky has not played anyone this year with a decent offense. He went on to say that Louisville’s wins were better then UK’s wins. I will agree that our record would look much better if we had made a few plays and beat UF and UT, but c’mon, dude is tooting his horn about victories against Weak Forest and the X-‘Cuse?

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Syracuse is awful, and Louisville let them score 34. Louisville’s offense is decent, but their defense is not good.

15. J-Dub421
    11:05 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

How is everyone feeling about playing Louisville this coming weekend?

• Realme
      11:06 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Moderately confident.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Better than I did before the Vandy game. We seem to have found an identity on offense, at least. I still worry that we don’t have a plan in case UofL somehow stops the run game. They can score points, so we will need to do the same.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I think it will come down to defense, and our defense is better than theirs. I think we can stop them from scoring more than they can stop us.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully, we can dominate time of possession; and, our DL and pass rushers can pressure them.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Well, they are calling for monsoons and lousy weather again, so I think that plays into our favor because we are a run-based offense. I think our defense should be able to slow down their running game.

As long as they don’t bring in a backup quarterback, I like our chances. 😉

11:25 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Yet ANOTHER game with weather like that? Wow.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I think our guys are actually starting to ENJOY playing in those conditions. Like a pig in slop. 🙂 Louisville also had a home game on Saturday, but I don’t think it rained anything like it did in Lexington.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Bring on the rain! That Missouri game was an awesome experience, we’re built for that.

11:40 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

RCF, here you go:
      Oh, this baby loves the slop, loves it, eats it up. Eats the slop.
      Born in the slop. His father was a mudda’.
      His father was a mudda’?
      His mother was a mudda’.
      His mother was a mudda’?

16. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:12 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I don’t blame Stoops if they really did ask him just to be plan B, not to mention, if they really did not offer him as much as he makes now…what the what???

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Free Shoes University is going to find themselves in the same shape as UT in their coaching search if they are not careful. They hurt themselves a little by canning a coach after 1 1/2 seasons, so they can’t be super picky. They should be able to get a quality hire, but they ain’t getting Nick Saban.

11:23 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

I don’t blame him for telling them to take a hike I mean, but I also can’t blame him for talking to them. They’ve got a lot of history in a relatively short amount of time. But again, if their facilities are really as bad as some people say (that is apparently one reason Jimbo left), and they offered Stoops less than he’s making, that’s beyond ridiculous. Our facilities are great now.

I say that with one caveat: I hate seeing tons of money being put into amenities, then the requisite inflation of ticket prices, then the requisite complaints about empty stands when they’ve priced a lot of folks out of the game(s).

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:58 am November 25, 2019 Permalink

Bengals are bombing for Burrow.