KSR Show Thread 11/25: College basketball is here

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the GAME DAY edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. The gang’s all here to get you ready for the men’s and women’s season openers, so fill up that coffee cup and let’s get to it. They’ll also shine the spotlight on Rowan County in the second hour.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

88 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/25: College basketball is here

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Fitting they’re doing Rowan Co; we play Morehead, and their most famous athlete will be the guy that scores 40 tonight, ha ha ha.

2. UKFanSC
    10:04 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

This site is infuriating. The ridiculous pop-up ads now take forever to navigate. Suffering through a 15 second blurb is one thing, but being forced to play 3 levels of a game just to advance to the article is just wrong.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:06 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Good solution to that problem. Stop coming to the site. $ talks and they get their $ from ads.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Get Adblocker.

10:10 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Adblock Plus FTW!!!

10:11 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, gotta have some form of ad blocking or it will make you crazy. Not against KSR making money, but there ads are absurd and abusive.

10:12 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

The new Microsoft Edge browser still works like a champ for me. No adblocker needed.

10:12 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

ugh *their

10:14 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I am perfectly fine with an area of the page being devoted to a rolling ad scroll, but when they hit you with obnoxious “look at me!” pop-ups and ads that appear on the bottom that you have to scroll through endlessly to get to the comments, then it is going to backfire. I will be damned if I am going to buy your product, and I will likely just give up and leave the site. It has to be self-defeating.

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Can I get a they’re?

10:16 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

What settings do you have to change, if any, with Edge? Those ads that slide over like a Dookie about to flop for a charge call, just as I’m about the click the X to close another ad are the absolute worst. Those make me want to throw my laptop.

10:18 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I simply installed the browser and called up KSR. I don’t recall changing any settings at all. And not a single dook-like ad flop. 🙂

10:19 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I occasionally get a small box appear at the bottom of the page, but I just click the X and it goes away.

10:21 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I’m on Edge now and it’s a little better than Chrome + AdBlock Plus. Edge FTW!!!

10:22 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

There are settings to tweak, under privacy I think.

10:25 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I checked the privacy settings and “Block Popups” is already selected, so I think I’m good to go. I pretty much only have the one small ad at the bottom with the “Hide” tab at the top right. I can live with that.

10:34 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

There is also an Android version you can download to your phone.

10:40 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I use the AD Blocker browser on my phone and I get zero ads.

• UKFanSC
      5:33 pm November 25, 2020 Permalink

I really appreciate the suggestions, and will follow your collective advice. With the exception of Pensacola, who is clearly a dick, the comments were very helpful.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:13 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I used to occasionally go to Rowan County in NC on business. They pronounce it “roe-ANN”, which makes me have to think about how to say it the way we all do.

4. Realme
    10:13 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Every cupcake game this season, there will be a media member saying they won’t be surprised if we get upset, because they think last year’s Walter McCarty game (I forget who they were) gave them some special insight.

10:17 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Again, the fact that little teams can now upset the “big teams” is what makes college basketball more exciting than football in my opinion. And also maddening if it is your team being upset. I often think it isn’t fair that schools like ‘Bama rarely have to worry about their football team being upset by some random directional school. For that reason I wish football players could be one-and-done like basketball players so their spoiled fans could get a little taste of it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

It was Evansville; I think UL plays them today.

11:00 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

So Card fans will crow about beating them when we didn’t I guess. In spite of them being post-Walter now.

11:03 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

If Card fans want to make themselves look even more ridiculous by chirping about beating Evansville, that’s their choice, I guess.

5. cats646
    10:14 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never heard of brewed. But I’m a huge fan now lol. Restaurant anarchy!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Freedom Fighters?

10:23 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

In my quest for the ultimate ad-blocking browser I missed that discussion. What’s brewed?

10:26 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

See below, also Matt sent Drew there in case it gets exciting this morning.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I missed some of that first story; what did the restaurant do to get a visit from the Health Dept?

7. Realme
    10:31 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Matt was creepier than Ryan with the Climax water stuff. Ryan is at least funny when he does it.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:36 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Not in much today. Doing errands before hitting the road to visit my family in GA. Good thing I don’t live on the left coast. If you still don’t think lockdowns are about control:

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:37 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

BYW, I had to click 500 pics of boats on my phone to get here! Okay not really, but I had to take my specs off for 2 pages of them. Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Wow, George Orwell was right; Big Brother is watching YOU.

10:42 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I saw something on FB about that. While I agree that we should be taking every reasonable measure to try to stop this runaway virus train, that is stepping over the line.

10:44 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Enjoy your family. Be safe. I’m skipping seeing my fam, not because of any mandate, but because my husband works in public and I wouldn’t want to risk being one of those asymptomatic carriers… Also it is a convenient excuse not to have to see the in-laws, hee haw.

10:46 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I thought you were talking about the mayor of Los Angeles threatening to cut off power and water to any residence hosting large holiday parties.

10:48 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Safe travels, cg. Hope everyone stays healthy. We had our Covid scare – kid #1’s boyfriend tested positive last week, and we were waiting for her tests to come back. Fortunately both of her tests were negative. She has either been behaving herself of she has a kick-azz immune system.

10:59 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Glad she didn’t get it.

11:06 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I have to admit the no in-laws aspect of this Thanksgiving is going to be pretty nice.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Guess I was fortunate; I thought the world of my in-laws, and miss them terribly. My FIL served with the Marines in the Pacific during WWII, and my wife was always a little jealous that he would talk to me about that, but wouldn’t discuss any of it with his kids.

11:19 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

My in-laws refuse to get that 3:00 in the afternoon is like 3:00 am for my night shift husband. They just think he can skip sleeping for get togethers. That on top of their many crazy / boundary lacking qualities, means we have become the black sheep anyways, but we enjoy drama free peace and quiet.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Happy Thanksgiving and God bless everyone!

RG, I know a lot of vets are like your FIL. One of my wife’s uncles was a medic in the Canadian army and was there for D-Day. He wouldn’t talk about it. He would not fight but was willing to do what he did.

11:22 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure a son in law that had been to Vietnam was easier to talk to about WWII, RG

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

My FIL was at Iwo Jima; the bloodiest battle in Marine Corps history.

11:34 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I like that they are called The Greatest Generation. I complain a lot, but even now we are quite blessed by comparison.

11:36 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I have pretty good in-laws, actually. But they’re better in small doses, and I like to appreciate them from a distance. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:39 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I guess so, Rm; and, he left me his small statue of the Marines raising the Flag on Iwo Jima.

11:41 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I am very fond of my in-laws too. My father-in–law and mother-in-law are two of the nicest people you could ever meet. And my wife is very close to her sisters, so we see a lot of them as well. I consider myself fortunate.

Having said that, I look at this year as a chance to pause, maybe have a little Thanksgiving with the immediate family, and reflect on what we are truly thankful for. Hopefully if we are all careful, maybe we can get back to some sense of normalcy soon and see the folks we have so sorely missed.

Happy Thanksgiving to my KSR friends!

11:42 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone also.

11:46 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Same to y’all.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

So last night at about 11 PM it was revealed to me that my second-born managed to leave her mom’s keys sitting on the trunk of her car when she drove up to the high school, and of course they are gone. So we were all out until 1 AM walking along the roads with flashlights looking for them. No dice. It seems like with the level of technology we have now that they should have a way to detect a lost key fob, especially with the new “push to start” key fobs that can recognize when you are close to the car. Time to break out the metal detectors and go hunting again (once the rain starts).

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Oooops.

11:09 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Meant to say, “once the rain STOPS”. It has already started, and then some…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

RCF, they have those tile tracker things that you can use for that. I don’t know the quality.

11:24 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I am going to look into those. Too little too late for now though. Might be nice to put on the dog’s collar too.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I challenge anyone to attempt to “gird their loins” while wearing a hospital gown! (I speak from recent experience. 😀 )

10:49 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

The only way I know to do it is wear two gowns. One the normal way, and another one backwards. There. Loins girded.

10:51 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Why can’t they just use snaps or velcro instead of those ridiculous draw strings?

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

So the draw strings will get loose, and leave you open in the back, ha ha.

11. Laker Cat 18
    10:49 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

KSR Game of the Week this week! Let’s go!

• cats646
      11:05 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Are you for southwestern or Pulaski?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:15 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Southwestern Warriors all the way…

But I have a lot of respect for Pulaski.

• cats646
      12:06 pm November 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m from Wayne County so I kinda hate both lol.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Thanksgiving week – when Wednesday is the new Friday!

13. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I can totally see Tom Hart saying that our defense needs to gird up their loins. 😀

10:58 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Oh he so will.

14. runningunnin.454
    10:50 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Whoa, some hot licks on the rhythm guitar in that one…me likee.

15. runningunnin.454
    10:53 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Um, Sarr has already played at this level.

16. Realme
    10:58 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I would think many smaller bowls will just cancel. Why sponsor a bowl if no one can come?

17. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I thought it was between Morehead and Flemingsburg for the area college back in the day? I could be wrong about that, but I’m pretty sure that’s story I heard.

18. Realme
    11:15 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

That area was our secret hiking spot back in the spring when the places around here got shut down. Upper part of the Sheltowee Trace, plus the lake. No one was in the area except some fishermen on the lake. It was awesome, but also felt like the world had ended because it was so deserted.

19. Laker Cat 18
    11:22 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Breaking News: Nick Saban has tested positive for COVID-19.

11:25 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I thought he already had tested positive a few weeks ago…

• Laker Cat 18
      11:35 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure if that was legit or was a false positive or what. Sure looks like this would be his 2nd bout of it.

20. ClutchCargo
    11:31 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for butchering Mingione’s name, Ryan. It caused me to go to YouTube and put on some Chuck Mangione tunes. Feels So Good!

11:35 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Looks like Shannon had the same thought. lol

21. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:32 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Since my listening has been sparse, are we playing bball today?

11:33 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

11:36 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m all set to listen to the women’s game and watch the men’s. Enjoy it while we can, y’all.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:45 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

Yay! I hear ya Realme. I’m afraid the percentage of bball games canceled or postponed will be way higher than football since it’s indoors.

22. Realme
    11:38 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

How do you think this guy spells his name? Like Stupid, without the t? Worst joke ever uttered on the KSR airwaves.

23. ClutchCargo
    11:39 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

How awesome would it be if Satterfield ended up going to S. Carolina?

11:41 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

But what if Louisville replaces him with a good coach?

11:43 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

There is that risk. But UofL doesn’t really have a history of doing that, outside of Petrino

24. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:43 am November 25, 2020 Permalink

HERSEY Hawkins, not Hershey. Lol. I do love Hershey’s though.