KSR Show Thread 11/24: Basketball tomorrow?

Photo by Noah J. Richter | UK Athletics

Photo by Noah J. Richter | UK Athletics

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will catch you up on all the latest college basketball news, including the cancellation of Friday’s Detroit Mercy game, aka Brad Calipari’s return to Rupp, and John Calipari’s remarks about his team heading into tomorrow’s season opener. Fill up that coffee cup and let’s get to it.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

57 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/24: Basketball tomorrow?

1. JTHinton
    10:00 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

2. Realme
    10:10 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt heard about it before UK announced it. Everyone needs to know this key detail.

3. Realme
    10:13 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I have to go back to the dentist today. You guys were no help last time. There were power tools, super glue, I have a bruise on my face.
    (I don’t have any decay or gum disease or anything, I just had put off replacing all my childhood fillings that had fallen out because I was too chicken to make the appointment.)

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Well, good luck with that. Replacing the old fillings is one of those things that sounds way more gruesome than it really is, but it’s good to get that behind you.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

My emphasis yesterday was on the other end. I lived through the adventure! šŸ˜€

• Realme
      10:42 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Yes, at least I don’t have to drink a torture drink and starve for this. Glad you survived.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Dynamite drugs, RCF. No?

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Somehow my doctor just ordered a massive amount of OTC laxatives, so no nasty drinks for me. Got the job done.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

They failed to call in my Rx for the nasty stuff in time, so I got to go with the OTC stuff mixed with Gatorade. Yes, a big improvement over that Vulcan Mind Probe stuff I had to drink the last time.

Since I had to spend most of my evening there anyway, I took advantage of the situation and painted the bathroom cabinets. šŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:24 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha that’s so efficient of you.

• ClutchCargo
      11:32 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Probably an opportunity for some multi-tasking there, too. lol

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Let’s just say it was a little sketchy when I had to bend over and paint the bottom of the cabinets. šŸ™‚

4. Realme
    10:15 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

If you start now, you have more time for make up games later. Starting now does not require the tourney to be at the exact normal time.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I may get picked off 2nd base here; but the contact tracing is going to doom the season. How about we wait til someone actually has symptoms, and then they can sit out. No?

• Realme
      10:18 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I guess we just have to really enjoy what games we get.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

(Doing the “SAFE!” gesture with my arms)

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

100 RG!

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

The problem with this damned thing is that it can be very stealthy. My daughter’s boyfriend has tested positive and had absolutely no symptoms until a day ago when he started having some upper respiratory stuff. She has had a rapid test last week, and yesterday we also got negative results for a regular test, so we are good so far. But as I understand it, she could still potentially be carrying it, just at a low enough level at this point that she is not shedding any virus that can be picked up by a test. So the problem is that millions of people can be unknowingly walking around with the virus in their system, and they may be able to spread it to others without knowing it. Most other viruses like the Flu and the common cold start to produce symptoms before you become contagious, so you know when you need to stay away from everyone.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:17 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

So Barry McKnight said this morning that Auburn won’t allow visiting team’s announcers in the gym this year, so when they play Troy, he can’t broadcast. His cohost, a Bama grad, said “Wait a minute, so if an Auburn buddy asks me to go with him to the game, I can get in (point being everyone knows he hates Auburn), but you can’t be there to broadcast? But you can if you buy a ticket?” Barry said “Yeah, maybe I can broadcast on my phone.”

Welcome to the infuriatingly inconsistent nature of all these lockdowns.

• ClutchCargo
      10:24 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Just don’t sing the school fight song and it’s all good. šŸ˜‰

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:30 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep! Haha.

Barry reminds me of Marv Albert. He said he wanted to broadcast since he was a kid, and he would carry a cassette recorder to Knicks games. He would practice broadcasting the game while recording, so of course he got a lot of “Would you shut up?!” from people. lol

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Some of the restrictions on attending basketball games, even in Rupp, are silly. But I don’t understand why we’re allowing any fans at all in the stands for basketball if the danger is so great.

• Realme
      10:44 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think I can go two plus hours without water. Surely they will allow that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I could do it, but why would I want to? Grumpy old me already considered watching basketball at home a better experience than going to games, even when the concessions were available.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I could survive it probably, but you can’t even have a Coke? And if they want people to yell and get into the game, they HAVE to let them have a bottle of water at least. If not, they just shouldn’t have fans.

• Realme
      11:28 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m a natural social distancer. I hate crowds and need my personal space, so this should be my dream scenario. But like Clutch, except for 1-2 games a year, watching from my living room is more appealing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

For me that would be pretty miserable. I have found that my mouth gets dry pretty quickly with a mask on, and damn, I never realized how pronounced halitosis can be until I have it being broadcast back directly into my own honker. šŸ˜‰

• Realme
      11:47 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh man, never burp into your mask!

7. Realme
    10:25 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Of course Cal exaggerates and hyperbolizes (why did spell check let me do that, is that really a word?). That’s not new, and it’s not a problem. It’s funny in a dad joke way. We all listen and roll our eyes at his balogna.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m surprised he’s never won an Emmy for dramatic performance.

• JTHinton
      10:30 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

49 year old Cal (2009) and 61 year old Cal (today) are two completely different people!

8. ClutchCargo
    10:31 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

So, what is Matt’s beef with Jim DuPlessis (pronounced DOO-pless-see) that I apparently missed?

9. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m still confused by the tv commercials for new movies; as usual, they say “only in theaters”. So, somewhere you can actually go to movie theaters?

• Realme
      10:40 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Last time I drove past one in Lexington it was open. This was before the latest mandates.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:41 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Only some states probably. I think they’re open in Bama but I don’t know the capacity they’re allowing.

BTW, I was confused by that advertising when I first saw it, but apparently some movies are released for paid streaming as well as to the theaters at the same time nowadays (even pre-Covid).

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Ours are open, but limited capacity.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:51 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

A lot of people can’t go for any amount of time…without a drink, ha ha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Friend of mine was treated for head and neck cancer, and the radiation did a number on his salivary glands. He pretty much has to carry a bottle of water with him everywhere he goes.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Shannon needs to be careful grabbing lower arena cardboard cutouts out of those seats. It could be hard to tell the difference between a cutout and a regular fan in those sections.

12. Realme
    11:17 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

“All the gunpowder that kept our country stay free.” If anyone besides Matt said that it would be a hilarious bit.

Also, Ryan just resisted saying “peter”, you could hear how difficult it was.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Funny that as a kid I always thought they were saying “softpeter”. šŸ˜€

• Realme
      11:51 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I had to rephrase when I started to say how hard it was for Ryan.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Y’all; ha ha ha ha.

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

I guess all the mens’ clinics put the softpeter caves out of business.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:37 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Show me the money; you go, De’Aaron.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:45 am November 24, 2020 Permalink

Daniel Boone’s footprint in a rock in Rockcastle County? Apparently you really have to watch where you step around there. And not because of the rocks. šŸ™‚