KSR Show Thread 11/20: Talking Wiseman and Crootin’

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Drew, and Ryan will preview James Wiseman’s decision and what it will mean for John Calipari and Kentucky if he picks Memphis, the Governor’s Cup, tomorrow’s basketball game, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

54 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/20: Talking Wiseman and Crootin’

1. Realme
    10:04 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Good morning. I miss Louisville Hate Week being a thing.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Thought that was 52 weeks a year.

• Realme
      10:10 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Yes, but this week used to be even more special. 🙂 Stupid Louisville being such a train wreck that we can’t even love to hate them as much.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

RM, I hope some day that dook is in that category as well. That would be very satisfying to me.

• Realme
      10:23 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

If we can just keep Cal and Krazyzoozki retires, we’d be all over that.

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just make it hate week. Beat those dirty birds!! Beat the feathers off them!!

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Realme, I know exactly what you mean. The UofL fans I know have pretty much given up on their team and school. It’s not as much fun to give them hell when they don’t even have the heart to give it back.

2. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:04 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Watched the Rams and Chiefs last night…What a game! Mahomes with 6 TD’s and 5 TO’s and was never out of the game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Who were the defensive players of the game?

• A local radio host said we know the key to beating Mahomes now. Let him throw 6 or 7 TD passes and then his arm is too tired to make the last 2 or 3 throws. Haha.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:21 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Aaron Donald stripped Mahomes twice, one leading to a two scoop and score Samson Ekukam, Marcus Peters, who was just traded to the Rams by the Chiefs, got two interceptions.

3. Realme
    10:15 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Not sure why they are convinced listening to Matt scream at a person is entertaining.

4. The Wiseman thing is a bummer. I won’t be surprised if he picks Duke instead of Memphis. #lotsocash

• No one had us getting Knox, but Cal pulling that rabbit out of the hat seems to be rare indeed.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

This timing of this is just wrong for anything except announcing for Memphis. Not getting my hopes up at all for this one.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Wiseman is not going to Duke; I’ve known it’s Memphis for months. Momma won’t let him cross the street by himself. (Unless the family gets a new home in Durham, LOL)

5. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I would love to know what has changed with Cal’s recruiting. It has been a long time since he has had a top 3 recruit. Seems to me that things changed after the 2015 season and also after Cal coached the Olympic team. It is strange, because the things that we really thought would be a boost to UK’s recruiting seem to have blown up in our face.

• Realme
      10:21 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Coach Vampire decided to steal Cal’s recruiting style and has been more successful with it. That’s a big part of it.

• That might be true Realme, but in now way do I believe it’s that simple that a 70 year old guy who had fallen off all of a sudden became the cool coach again. Maybe I’m wrong, but it just seems too “Fishay-fishay…”.

The Olympic team thing may have hurt a good bit, but I thought that was old news by now for the current recruits. Oh well…

• No way…

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:26 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I agree, not beating Wisconsin paired with Duke winning it all with freshmen, platooning being used against us, and the loss of good recruiting assistants have led to this situation I believe. Unfortunately the only way to recover is to win it all without top 3 or even top 5 talent. I’m still optimistic that this year could be it.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:27 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Does anyone believe only K could have won gold with all the talent?

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I think it’s our fans. Our fans have gotten increasingly negative the last few years. Fans seem to think they’re entitled to lots of wins and titles for some reason. Look at the way our fanbase treated the Harrison twins (who led us to the finals and final four in back to back years), Skal, Briscoe, Hami…. What player wants to sign up for getting constantly trashed by their own fanbase?

• Wade
      11:09 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I loved the Harrison and briscoe. Harrison’s just had bad body language and briscoe was a shooter just not a maker. We point shit out too much comes with being the gold standard. Like at work you don’t hit your numbers your not the gold standard! Hami was awful and Skal was used wrong I think! He had a good stroke and good moves and could score but was used like kat and not built that way. He was skinnier than tayshaun prince and we would never do that to him. Cal is stubborn and kids get the brunt of it but maybe as fans we should keep it too ourselves we’re adding to a lot of negativity when it’s not needed and prolly why kids transfer if not successful first yr!cal doesn’t know what he gets in 1 yr guys and has to do this all the time. In the end cals wrong a lot but players have to play! He has what he has, time to coach your team the right way! Practice always looks different when it’s friendly and no-ones around! If cal doesn’t have the fire anymore he should move on! I pray a spark gets lit and he says I’m going hard for 5 more years and leaving here with another chip! Don’t care about 40-0! Great if it happens! Don’t want to see cal leave as other programs pass us up!

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:37 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I agree with that as well. We have no patience with what we perceive as under performing players. Part of that reason though is that we are put in a position to depend on young players.

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, that’s the same reason I believe it will be hard to find a great replacement for Cal when he eventually leaves. And social media has provided a way for the negative minority of fans to seem like the majority.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I’m guessing it’s more a case of the other teams’ recruiting changing and ours staying the same.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:10 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Coach O (or lack thereof) is what has happened to recruiting.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

What Matt is saying is that Cal needs a bag man like Capel. What the hell, they are paying players, why shouldn’t we?

• Realme
      10:22 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I agree with him that something needs to change. Justice or Barbee need to go, and bring in someone like Antigua.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:23 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Might as well, they are not holding anyone accountable.

• Realme
      10:24 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

But no, we shouldn’t become desperate enough to pay for players.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Surely we could get Orlando from Illinois.

• I don’t know about Justice, and I’ve said this before, but when Barbee was at Auburn, he had a rep of being terrible at the PR/marketing aspect. He might be good with Xs and Os, but I can’t imagine he’s the recruiter we need.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:30 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

What about Vince Marrow? He might help.

• Realme
      10:31 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t know what Barbee is bringing to the table. Certainly not cool factor with recruits. He’s just one of Cal’s “sons” so he has a job here, is my guess.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:40 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Main problem I see is that we’re getting good players that could develop into great players over 3-4 years; but, they leave for the league before they’re ready.
    Like Charles Matthews, if he had stayed at UK, and had the year he did last year…don’t you think he would have left for the NBA. Instead he’s still at Michigan.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Apparently he wanted to be the go-to guy and that wasn’t going to happen at UK. We saw down the stretch in last year’s tournament why that is the case. He is a super role player, but not a guy who can do it all himself, and it would have been great to be able to keep him.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

That’s a problem with individual players not being honest with themselves about where their skill set is, or about what they want. I like Charles Matthews, but he will never be the go-to-guy on a team consistently, not in college and not in the NBA. He needs to realize that. Most (not all, but most) of our players who leave for the NBA do well and stick in the league. They may not all be stars, but most play and make money.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Matthews is Michigan’s leading scorer so far this year; and, he led them in the rout of Villanova.
      He just needs to stop shooting three’s.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Speaking of Villanova; there’s the question of elite talent vs experienced players.
      Nova won a couple of ‘ships, but, now they’re awful.
      LOL…Furman.
      We’ve not had a disaster year with Cal like that. Yeah, I know 2013; but, we lost our best player.

8. Wow, I laughed at Drew’s post about that, but he’s seriously channeling Bobby Knight with that take. Lighten up my man!

9. UT is terrible too Matt, and we absolutely STUNK. I’m concerned about UL too, I’ll admit.

• I hate that UF is ranked higher too, but you can’t stink up the joint to the worst Vol team probably in my lifetime and not fall precipitously. Late season success has always been more important than early season. Okay, my ranting is over.

GO CATS!!!

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

U of L is reeeaaalllyyyyy bad. We should win.

10. Creole Lady Marmalade?

• Realme
      11:32 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Onion marmalade?! Barf.

11. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:36 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Nancy Sinatra!

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

Do you remember when her brother was kidnapped? The communications with Frank Sr were all by pay phone; and Frank was afraid he would run out of change so he carried 10 dimes with him at all times.
      He was even buried with 10 dimes.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:52 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I do remember that but didn’t know that about the dimes.

12. Powers Booth also played the soldier who helped the Wolverines in “Red Dawn”.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

He was also in Tombstone.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:12 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

THIS is why I come here , day after day…despite the sometimes dearth of intellectual stimulation from the show.

The show thread and its denizens NEVER disappoint.