KSR Show Thread 11/20: Get hyped for Big Blue Madness!

Who’s up for another big day of Kentucky Sports Radio?

Matt Jones and the KSR crew are live from 10 a.m. to noon to preview Big Blue Madness and break down tonight’s KSR Game of the Week, among other topics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

91 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/20: Get hyped for Big Blue Madness!

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m retired; but, this one is for you working stiffs,

• Realme
      10:03 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, checking in from the mines. Foreman just yelled at me to get off the computer.

10:06 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, living for that Friday, when the whistle blows.

• Bluehender
      10:07 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Lol rg. That’s me but I’m inside my last year. Thanks for the video, no Oney here, he retired ahead of me. I’m on cruise control till August..

10:12 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Good for you, Bluehender; Congrats.

10:34 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Love having some Cash on a Friday! 🙂

I have at least 12 years left before I can retire, unless a big wad of money falls out of the sky and my wife and kids don’t spend it all. Right now I am just trying to hang on. Don’t see myself retiring from my current gig, but I also didn’t expect to be doing this for the last 15 years. I just hope I am still able to move and enjoy life a little by the time I get there. I just keep saying if I can get my kids though the college years I might be able to breathe again.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:39 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

2. Realme
    10:04 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Little hard to be excited for a pre-recorded, no fans madness. Stupid 2020 is such a jerk.

10:10 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m a little excited; I’ll have my coffee, getting all fired up.

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I would say I’m more interested than excited. I’ll be excited to see actual games.

10:26 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I am actually kind of interested and excited to see how our Lady Cats do in basketball. I hope Kyra knocks it out of the park! (However, I am not sure that she can out-dance Coach Mitchell at BBM). 🙂

• Realme
      10:31 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Every year I resolve to really follow the women’s team. Then I forget to watch the games, but hopefully this is the year I keep up. They can be special, and is so will get so much attention for doing it with the shocking coaching change.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Drove by Applebee’s last night; looked like they were in there for one big, last hurrah.

10:21 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

One final superspreader fest, huh? 😉

4. Realme
    10:18 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt loves to put the guys into impossible hypotheticals and then tell them how wrong they are.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:20 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Um, the Kentucky Department for Public Health can close a restaurant if they determine that it poses a threat to the public health.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

C’mon man, it’s a 2 hour show and they gotta talk about something. 🙂

10:23 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep. Well within their power. I understand that a lot of places are just trying to survive, but it’s also pretty obvious that politics are on display here as well. Like him or hate him, the governor is in a no-win situation. And I am sure he knows it. Wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.

10:28 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

The problem with restaurants obviously is that it is impossible to wear a mask while you stuff your pie-hole with food. And in a bar, you cannot maintain social distance and wear a mask while you hit on cougars. So it’s obvious why those venues are riskier for spreading Coronavirus than a store where you can stay masked up, get in and out, and you have the huge air space of a warehouse. It’s physics, folks.

10:32 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, rock and a rock and a hard place, the devil and the deep blue sea, Scylla and Charybdis.

6. Realme
    10:28 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Been watching Queen’s Gambit. It’s interesting, and even though all the moves could be gibberish as far as I know, the chess matches get real competitive and hit me in the sports receptors. They often have old movies on in the background, and I always think, RG would know what this is.
    Not sure why the Lexington thing is a big deal. They didn’t shoot it here, and all they do is say “New Circle Road” and “Ben Snyder’s” every once in a while.

10:30 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I need to watch the last couple of episodes to finish it. I liked it. Especially the old cars in the sets. But they had a 1969 Mustang appear in a scene that was set in 1967. They should have conferred with me first. 😉

• Realme
      10:34 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I liked that one car with the flames. Haven’t seen that in person since I was a kid. You should bring that back.

10:37 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, hot-rodded black 55 Chevy with flames was way cool. It reminded me of the car that Harrison Ford drove in American Graffiti. (Which incidentally, was the exact same car in “Two Lane Blacktop”)

10:39 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Sadly, flames just look out of place on anything newer than about 1959.

10:40 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Rm, I watched a movie from 1932 the other night; it was called “Freaks”, and was about circus performers. Two dwarfs in the movie were brother/sister, two of four such siblings, called the Doll Family. They were later Munchkins in the Wizard of Oz. Other than that, I thought it was makeup and special effects, but no, they were real. The movie was pre-code; but, it was banned in the U.S., UK, and Canada. The director had to cut some scenes, and bring the cast back to shoot scenes to make up the time. Decades later it earned rave reviews; but, I found it quite disturbing.

• Realme
      10:46 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Sounds wild.

10:52 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

BTW, the Doll Family had successful film careers, and made good money. They all lived together in a house built on a small scale, and furnished with special built small furniture.
      Two sisters, conjoined at the hip, were in the movie. However, later in life, they were exploited by their guardians, and lived a miserable life.

11:13 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

There was a movie called “Under the Rainbow” made during the 80’s about the midgets from The Wizard of Oz. Apparently they did quite a bit of partying at the hotel that they all stayed in. It starred Chevy Chase and Carrie Fisher, but was panned by critics. I never saw it.

11:33 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

The Doll Family were just dwarfs; but, many in the cast of Freaks had grotesque disfigurement.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

“Everybody Wants To Rule The World” is one of those guilty pleasure songs for me. I’m usually into grunge, blues, or 70’s rock, but that song brings back some good memories.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Monk was a much more dynamic athlete and fun to watch, but I go with IQ for the long run. Damn fine person too – can’t go wrong.

Willie all the way… although I love Big Nick. (I might change my mind if it’s a package deal with Leah and we get her on the volleyball team for the next decade.)

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I kind of agree about IQ. And I still miss seeing WCS kill people with dunks and then stare them down.

10:46 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Dunks and soul crushing blocks. 🙂

• Realme
      10:48 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

That was my exact thought about WCS when they brought him up.

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:46 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt is selfish with this viewpoint. If he wasn’t a restaurant owner, he wouldn’t be taking this middle-man stance. He’d be all against opening restaurants. It’ll hurt his business.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

My comment below wasn’t in response to yours, and we’re kind of saying the same thing. Yeah, he is coming across as very hypocritical here. He did try to create some wiggle room in the beginning by saying he didn’t like the mandate.

10:52 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

You could make that argument, but also think he is trying to see it from the viewpoint of the restaurant owners and employees who are affected by this. It’s just a sucky situation all the way around. And unfortunately, very possibly avoidable.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I think he fully supports shutting everything down, including restaurants. But I think he hesitates on his view of that solely because he owns a restaurant that will be affected. If he didn’t own a restaurant, I firmly believe you would be hearing a completely different song and dance from Matt.

• Realme
      11:44 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Agree, LC. If it wasn’t hitting his own wallet, he wouldn’t be half as sympathetic to restaurants.

10. ClutchCargo
    10:46 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

So, what would be accomplished by keeping restaurants open through the weekend if the point is to reduce the opportunity for infection? That argument just doesn’t make sense to me.

10:47 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Give the restaurants a tax voucher to donate the food to local food banks to help feed the people who are being affected by the virus.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Here goes Matt with another promise he won’t keep. Never saw that big party after we beat Lamar and U-6.

10:55 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Damn, I want us to beat ‘Bama but….

12. Realme
    10:55 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Way to make it hard to root for my Cats, Matt. Thanks.

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

That would definitely be a bittersweet victory. But one I think I could live with. I just wouldn’t listen on Fridays.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:42 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

What did he say? My listening has been very sparse today.

• Realme
      11:46 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Chris, he said if we beat Bama, Ky Joe can write a secondary theme song for the show that they would use every Friday instead of WOL.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:54 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

What is WOL? Sorry I’m out to lunch today.

• Realme
      11:56 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Werewolves of london!

13. RealCatsFan
    10:58 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I actually did the chainsaw entrance at a Halloween party many years ago. Mrs. RCF came running in before me with fake blood all over her – ran up and smeared it all over the fridge before collapsing on the floor. I burst in with a hockey mask and the saw going full blast (with the chain off, of course.) One poor girl actually crawled under the kitchen table and pee’d herself. I felt kind of bad about that. 😉

• ClutchCargo
      11:02 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I bet she was pissed when she realized it was all just an act.

• Realme
      11:07 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

lols How old was the girl at the time?

11:10 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

She was in her late 20’s. Too much beer, I guess. 🙂

• Realme
      11:14 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Oh, well if she was 7 I was going to feel sorry for her…

11:21 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Hey, it was HALLOWEEN! You had to know it was fake…

14. ClutchCargo
    11:04 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Well, after feeling like crap all day yesterday, I went to bed last night downstairs alone just in case and woke up this morning feeling fine. Pretty sure it was just that vaccination from the day before. But I’m canceling the blood donation I had scheduled for today.

11:47 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Glad you’re better, Clutch…

BTW, what are the origins of your moniker?

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

If a previous line of work years ago, it was one of those places where it’s mostly guys and most everybody had to have some nickname other than their actual name. This one guy just started calling me Clutch one day with no real explanation why, but it stuck. Turns out I reminded him of the character from the old TV show. Given some of the names other people got stuck with, I just embraced it. 🙂

15. Bluehender
    11:10 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I CANNOT root for Indiana.

• Bluehender
      11:10 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Ever. In anything..

11:14 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Even against THE Ohio State University? I’ll definitely watch, and I may lean a little to the Loosiers.

• Bluehender
      11:20 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

rg I would be a neutral observer unless IU somehow gets into a lead. Then I would have to turn it off. I’m not a fan of THE Buckeyes either

• Realme
      11:17 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

They’re going to regret this when Indiana drops a couple games late, and ends up beating us in a bowl game. Indiana is so gross, the ksr curse will work FOR them.

11:19 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

rg, it’s like dook-UNCheat. I want them BOTH to lose. 😉

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

My hatred of IU is somewhat diminished at this point just because they haven’t been relevant for so long. I won’t cheer for IU, but I would LMAO if OSU lost to them.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:42 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Me either. Yes, even over Ohio State. I can handle Ohio State fans…I can’t handle Indiana fans. I hope they lose by 50 in anything they compete in.

11:49 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Good point, LC; I forgot about IU’s fans.

16. Realme
    11:10 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

No. It was not ok for Matt to cheer for Duke football, and it is not okay to cheer for Indiana football. Have some self respect.

11:15 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I would feel like someone would need to spray me down with one of those COVID sanitizer sprayers afterwards.

11:19 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Y’all cold. It’s against THE OSU. And, Dook football holds the record for most Div I winless seasons. Not losing seasons, WINLESS.

11:20 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

dook deserves it, just because of the smug douchiness of their basketball program.

11:22 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’ll agree with that.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Saying that dressing comes from the “innards of the turkey” sure makes it sound appetizing. A lady posted a picture of her middle school son preparing a turkey for the first time, and the disgusted looks on his face were priceless. But the kicker was when he pulled out the neck and said “OMG, it’s a MALE turkey!” 😀

18. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

UCLA should be higher; but, of course, they cheated and everyone knows it. I don’t see Kansas and Louisville being ahead of Indiana.

11:45 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but Indiana hasn’t done anything in decades, and they only had success under knight.

11:51 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I think IU won two ‘ships before Bubby.

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

That is one of the things that makes UK the clear #1, RCF. We have had several good runs with several coaches.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:40 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I guess the good news about this Champions Classic is there shouldn’t be that 30 minute delay between games, since they will be played at different venues.

20. Laker Cat 18
    11:43 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Okay, cut this lady off. I’m selfish too I guess.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Nothing like getting tossed off KSR ST and then having to click on 57 pictures of motorbusses to log back in. So I guess a school bus doesn’t count. 😉

• Laker Cat 18
      11:46 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

The stop light one is the worst one. Sometimes it’s cut off into the boxes next to it and you don’t know which ones to choose.

11:50 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

It’s damned near impossible to tell what you are looking at on a phone…

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

On my phone I usually just accept my fate and wait until later.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Wow, how far had Rudy fallen from being the hero of NYC during 9/11, to a total caricature of himself. The dripping hair dye and rants after the press conference in the parking lot of a landscaping business. Geesh!

11:49 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

And I forgot about him getting tricked by Borat. Just fade off into the sunset, Rudy…

23. Realme
    11:55 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I just google image searched banana croquettes and that did not make them more appealing.

11:56 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

I hate any kind of mayonaise anyway.

24. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am November 20, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Bardstown, is the FBI EVER going to do anything about the murders they are investigating? I figured when they came in en masse back in the summer that the Rogers case would get wrapped up pretty quick. But it has fallen eerily silent. Hell, I don’t recall even hearing if they identified the human remains that were found. The whole thing is really weird.