KSR Show Thread, 11/2: Let’s talk about the Georgia game

Photo by Mark Cornelison

Photo by Mark Cornelison

Kentucky’s performance against Georgia will be the theme of today’s show as Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond recap the game and the weekend on this Monday edition of KSR. Plus, Shannon The Dude returns from vacation, just in time for Election Day.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

55 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 11/2: Let’s talk about the Georgia game

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

“Some gotta win, some gotta lose” Some football fans got the blues,

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:11 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Another loss…another bad offensive performance. C-Rod is legit though.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

We kept it close; and, if we had tried to win the game, we may have lost by 40. BUT, I still would rather try to win.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

C-rod was moving the pile like Benny. It was a bright spot.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:12 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Finished the newest season of Wentworth on Netflix last night. Crazy good! It’s working itself up my all-time favorite show list. Top 3 right now.

• Realme
      10:17 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

That’s a prison show, right?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:19 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Yes. Freakin awesome.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Stoops ALWAYS absolutely refuses to try to score at end of 1st half. Result, Georgia TRIES 2 score with FAR less time on clock. We’re lucky the Dawgs didn’t go up by another 7 there. Stoop-id strategy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:16 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

He obviously is one of those old school coaches who has the philosophy “If we throw it 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad”. I know we’re limited, but you don’t challenge Georgia by playing in a cocoon.

• Realme
      10:17 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Drives me bonkers.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

I sent that first one to the Sunday AM Sports guys yesterday (Buerger was back to fill in). I also followed up with this:

It’s not that UK is bad at late 1st half. It’s that Stoops tries to run out clock and refuses to do what Anthony said & take a shot. He was booed 1 year when he took a halftime knee against Miss St.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Or just handed the ball off to run out the clock. I forget which, but I think the last play was a knee anyway.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Do we actually have any underclassmen wide receivers who are highly ranked recruits? If so, have they played any?

6. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

I kind of miss the Mumme Air Raid, even though we still usually got beat. At least you didn’t fall asleep halfway through the game.

7. Realme
    10:21 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

It’s play calling, it’s receivers that don’t break free, and it’s a general lack of readiness to play. They never do well for the first series, it’s like they’re not trying until later. They don’t get sparked by still being in the game at halftime, they don’t play fired up on offense after we get an interception. Some of them are playing hard, but not over all.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

I was surprised that JG is so slow of foot, and he can’t scramble. Give the freshman a shot, and see if he can throw it downfield. And, yes, play the young receivers. What have we got to lose…a game?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Local talk show host/Troy play by play guy says Gatewood just isn’t an SEC QB and should be a tight end or H-back.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:45 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

The funny thing is that’s what a lot of people say about Tebow and the NFL.

9. Realme
    10:25 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

He’s harder to knock down, and didn’t run scared, but Terry is faster.

10. Realme
    10:32 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

He didn’t say they don’t know how to run routes, he said they don’t practice the fundamentals to break free from the start. I think LT comes from a place that he still follows the program because he still cares. Maybe the coaching staff could take some constructive criticism from two coaches that have seen it from the inside.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that sure didn’t work for our HS volleyball team, and somehow I doubt that Stoops would be real receptive to it either. 😉

11. east-ky-boy
    10:33 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

I agree with this!!! Frustrating

12. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Hey bird people (I resisted the urge to use the term “bird brains” 😀 ), I had some type of little sparrow or wren busily prodding around in a fake evergreen tree on our deck this morning. Mrs RCF thought it was trying to build a nest, but they don’t do that in the fall AFAIK.

And a little while ago I looked outside my office window and saw a hawk sitting on the fence about 15 feet away. Didn’t get a good enough look at it to tell if it was a Coopers or Red Tailed Hawk.

• Realme
      10:46 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

The official term is bird nerd. Your little brown guy was looking for something edible, I think.
      My siskin flock is still here. I have a close neighbor with feeders, and the birds switch back and forth, depending on which house this sharp shin hawk is focusing on.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Last week on one of my days off our dog was barking in the back yard. It was a beautiful clear day. I stepped out to make sure everything was okay and to see what she was barking at, and she started to gallop across the yard and started looking up. Then I saw a buzzard flying very low and it flew right over me. I told my wife what it was and she came out. Then there it was again flying really low and it kind of scared her. I said “They’re not known to swoop down and attach live humans”, and she said “Maybe it knows it’s my time!” Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Definitely not a good harbinger if a vulture is circling over your head.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:00 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

When I first looked outside she was looking toward a neighbor’s yard (house behind us). I think it must have been in their yard or on the fence and then took off considering her body language.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

cg, we have a LOT of both black vultures and turkey vultures in our area. It is not unusual to see 10 or 12 of them roosting in the trees behind our house. Kind of creepy. I often see them having a group lunch on roadkill on the way in to work. Always a cheery way to start the day. 😉

There have been reports of them attacking livestock around here – the black vultures can be particularly aggressive. They will sometimes attack baby calves and peck their eyes out and eventually kill and feed on them. It has become enough of a problem that farmers can obtain a permit to shoot them. They are protected otherwise. So if your dog is a small one you might have cause for concern.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Hey, after Realme mentioned pine siskins last week, the very next day I noticed a whole flock of them on the bird feeders. Must have been a dozen of them. These were almost tame, compared to most of the feeder birds. I went out there to refill the feeders and I got almost within arm’s reach before they took off.

• ClutchCargo
      11:14 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Before my neighbors’ house went up, we had a wooded vacant lot next to ours, and there was a family of foxes in there. I kept seeing the baby foxes pop out of the underbrush and play in the edge of the yard. And then one day there was a partially eaten buzzard there. Not sure what happened there, but it was kind of cool. And it kept getting eaten on until it was pretty much just a skeleton and then disappeared altogether.

• Realme
      11:16 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Watch for evening grosbeaks. They’re having a lot of irruption this year, and are in Michigan and Ohio already. Could make it here too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Somebody put up a post on FB recently that had pictures of a fight between a rat snake and a hawk. The hawk had swooped down on the snake for lunch, but the snake thought otherwise. Amazingly, the snake won the battle and managed to kill the hawk by constricting it. Looked like something off of Wild Kingdom. Survival of the fittest.

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t a rat snake also called a chicken snake? Yeah, they’re like boa constrictors; I saw one kill a copperhead like that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:35 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Holy cow RCF, I didn’t know they would do that! I thought they strictly scavenged on already dead animals. Next time I might have to go get my shotgun…except I live in the city!

Our dog is a golden/pyrenes mix, so she’s somewhat sizeable, but we have some neighbors with small dogs. One is a yorkie so it’s really small.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:38 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

What kind of grosbeak Realme? I just looked up pics and see several different color schemes. The red and black ones are especially beautiful.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

We get red breasted grosbeaks in the spring. Haven’t seen any yet this fall. They are really pretty red, white and black. Even though they dress in UofL colors.

• ClutchCargo
      11:48 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Not gonna lie, I had to google irruption. It’s not a zone in Rupp Arena. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

rg, “chickensnake” is another common name given to rat snakes because they are sometimes found in chicken coops. They are there mainly for the mice, but they will also swallow hens eggs or eat chicks. They are amazing climbers, and can scale a tree effortlessly in search of prey. Yeah, they may raid some bird nests, but they are so beneficial at rodent control that you don’t want to kill them.

King snakes are actually immune to pit viper venom and will feed on copperheads and rattlesnakes. Watching a snake swallowing another snake doesn’t seem possible. They are amazing creatures.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Bowden was the type of player who was awesome once you get the ball in his hands, but our problem was making that happen. At least until we had no other choice and we had to use him at QB.

Yeah, and we had an NFL level tight end and used him mainly as a blocker. 🙁

14. runningunnin.454
    10:46 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Thomas was right; but, wasn’t he the one that was all buddy buddy with Lamar during the UL game, and didn’t Jordan Jones have a problem with him? Maybe someone else, I don’t remember. Nothing against LJ but you don’t fraternize with the enemy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it’s okay to give him a pre or post game greeting or hug, but not during a scuffle with the program that’s signing your checks.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:06 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

So Saturday night we were sitting around watching “An American Werewolf in London”, and it has a lot of great songs in the soundtrack. But the KSR themesong is notably missing, and it seems like it would have been a natural for that movie. I wonder if it was some kind of legal issue.

16. Realme
    11:10 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

If JT and the truth don’t get horses, boooooooooo!!!!!!

17. runningunnin.454
    11:33 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I like Jai Lucas; he didn’t really have much to sell at a football school…now he has something to sell, and it’s working.

• ClutchCargo
      11:40 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree. I’m just glad he wasn’t able to recruit Patrick Patterson to join him when he went to UF. 🙂

18. ClutchCargo
    11:45 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

That’s just a bizarre rule about the use of the word “piss” on the airwaves.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:51 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Random thought that just came to mind. I saw the brightest green fireball I’ve ever seen fly straight over my house Saturday night just before the moon came up.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Swamp gas reflecting off a weather balloon…err, or something.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

It was all over FB. Apparently there were two of them. Marc Weinberg, the area alpha weather geek, had a few posts up with pictures and video. And my brother in Evansville posted a picture of the moon coming up, with a green blob right above it. At first I thought it was an artifact from the lense, but after looking at other pictures I am pretty sure he inadvertently captured the meteor.

• ClutchCargo
      11:57 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think so, this sucker was moving fast. I have seen one of these once before. I just happened to be outside and looking in the right direction each time. This one was so bright I had my back turned and could tell there was a bright light behind me.

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah RCF, probably the same one or there could have been more than one. The one I saw was at about 7:35.

20. runningunnin.454
    11:52 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

If they let you vote with a positive Covid test; that’s not a quarantine. So what is the difference between Covid and typhoid?

21. runningunnin.454
    11:57 am November 2, 2020 Permalink

Folks, we couldn’t beat UL; 2-2 Atwell would run wild.

• ClutchCargo
      12:00 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

I think we would do okay with them. Their defense is about as bad as the last couple of years.

• runningunnin.454
      12:07 pm November 2, 2020 Permalink

IDK; they lost by a TD Saturday, and they had like 12 players out with Covid, several defensive starters. They played good defense against ND.