KSR Show Thread 11/18: Let’s make Ryan an Eagle Scout

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will preview the NBA Draft and the Alabama game, talk Thanksgiving sides, and attempt to make Ryan Lemond an Eagle Scout. Also, Robertson County!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

64 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/18: Let’s make Ryan an Eagle Scout

1. ClutchCargo
    10:05 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

That photo looks like the movie poster for a scout who built a “Saw”-style house of horrors for his Eagle Scout project. lol

10:08 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Yes, I have watched more than my share of bad horror movies on Prime Video and Netflix over the years. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:19 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

That picture is amazing. Top bad Netflix horror movies: Bird box, Girl on the third floor, Girl with all the gifts. I liked them all in their own weird ways.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Ryan has merit badges in chainsaws, rope knots, knives, and meat carving.

10:25 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Crappy horror movies are fun in their own way. More unintentionally funny than scary. A couple of my favorites are Dead End and House of the Devil. Those two are actually kind of good, and under the radar. I’d actually throw Drag Me to Hell in there too, although it’s better than the other two.

10:28 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m not a big horror guy, but I liked the 80’s movie “Fright Night”. Did anyone see it?

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m still waiting on “It Follows” sequel; but, that one was very good.

10:32 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, rg. I didn’t mention It Follows because it is far from crappy.

• Realme
      10:46 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Best crappy horror movie ever: Attack of the killer refrigerator. Was a video store VHS when I was in high school. We had so much fun with that.

10:50 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

What about “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes”?

2. Duuuuuude
    10:11 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

A.J. Rose is an Eagle Scout.

3. UKinIN
    10:13 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Good God that’s terrifying.

4. Wade
    10:18 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Probably not a good time to be associates with the bsa. If you don’t know about the lawsuit this picture says it all.

10:22 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I think most if not all do. I was in the scouts for a while (not a long time granted) when I lived in Kentucky, and nothing like that ever happened to my knowledge, and I was in 2 different troops (I was in 1 that merged with another a little later).

10:45 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

BTW, in no way would I ever minimize the impact of what you are alluding to on a lot of people, quite the opposite. All I’m saying is you can’t paint everyone or everything with a broad brush, and my experience with the scouts was just fine. Not every football coach is a Jerry Sandusky.

11:23 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I will grant you, the fact that they used the creepy Ryan photo doesn’t help. I really didn’t look at it until a few minutes ago.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:20 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Thanksgiving sides? I thought all our “We know better than you” august leaders are in the process of canceling Thanksgiving. πŸ˜‰

BTW, NO to most all casseroles topped with bread crumbs, corn flakes, crackers, whatever (one huge exception is poppy seed chicken…I do like the Ritz crackers crumbled on top). Some are alright, but once you refrigerate leftovers the topping is mush. That’s bad when I often didn’t like the crumbs in the first place.

• Realme
      10:21 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I don’t find any part of Thanksgiving food exciting, especially turkey. Why isn’t there a seafood, steak, pizza or wings holiday?

10:26 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I like Thanksgiving food. Turkey, yes, is often dry and bland by itself, but my wife does a great job of doctoring it up with butter and the seasonings (my mom too). Then you load up your fork with the turkey, gravy, mashed taters, AND dressing in one big bite…awesome.

However, whatever floats your boat! I have friends that every year post pics from going to one of those Japanese steakhouses on Christmas day (the ones where they flame up and cook in front of you). I think 90% of the replies are jokes about the Chinese restaurant scene in “A Christmas Story”. I also have friends that are talking about grilling steak and stuff for Thanksgiving this year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

KSR had that article about Kentucky’s favorite side was broccoli casserole; I call BS on that, who puts these things out there?
      Hard to beat stuffing, deviled eggs, and sweet potato casserole/marshmallows.

10:29 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Marshmallows…eck! Gotta have the pecan & brown sugar on top!

BTW, I really like sage, so that’s why I like Thanksgiving food, and of course mashed taters are addictive.

10:30 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Incidentally, I don’t know if my friends will be going to the Japanese place this Christmas with Covid and all.

10:30 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I started smoking Thanksgiving turkeys a few years ago, and it’s a game changer. Everybody on both sides of the family likes it and I have to do two of them every year now. Those crispy wings are the best! I don’t like the dry, overcooked oven turkeys nearly as much.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

You may not believe this, but wild turkeys are much, much better than store turkeys. Of course, to get one, you have to be smarter than the turkey, ha ha.

10:35 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Bananas rolled in mayo & peanuts? (vomit emoji here)

I like all 3 of those, but together?

10:36 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m guessing there is much more dark meat on those wild turkeys. That automatically makes me a fan.

10:36 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’ve had smoked wild turkey before and it was great.

10:37 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I had the white meat. Clutch, I’d love to try those wings!

• Realme
      10:37 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

We’re not one of those households who dry out the turkey, I just don’t think it tastes good. Would rather eat a roasted chicken.

10:37 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I was traumatized as a kid by those bananas, cg. How anybody likes that, I can’t imagine.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I have always thought that Mrs RCF is weird because she likes to mix her corn and mashed potatoes together. Not very appetizing to me – I am the type who wants all my food groups to be strictly separated. Those paper plates that have the individual sections are a godsend for me. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Elvis’ favorite was banana/peanut butter/syrup sandwiches.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

OK, I am going to take an unpopular position here and say that I think Thnksgiving turkey is overrated. The white meat in particular is usually dry. Now the turkey that I had in Baton Rouge – that is a whole nother matter! They inject all kinds of hot sauce in them and then deep fry them. Yummm.

We are going to cheat this year and pick up a smoked turkey from the BBQ joint near us. Probably just going to be the 4 of us this year.

• Realme
      10:44 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Those bananas are supposed to be a perfect sweet and salty combo, but I can think of a million less disgusting ways to get that.

10:46 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Can somebody pass me the dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt, please? That’s my sweet/salty go-to.

10:46 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Correction: I’ve had deep fried wild turkey. Someone in that family had killed it (they were all hunters). Again, it was great.

10:48 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I do like bananas and peanut butter together. I guess some would find that weird, but those 3 together just doesn’t sound appealing.

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Rm I guarantee you would like wild quail; best game bird there is. Of course, you have to hunt to get them, and you need a bird dog, too.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you are right-on about the smoked turkey. Makes a big difference. Years ago when I worked at Ford I was discussing smoking turkey with a co-worker. One of my other co-workers was from India, and I could tell by the expression on his face that he could not understand how you can get turkey into a pipe and light it up. πŸ™‚ I had to explain the whole process to him.

10:59 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

So, I probably shouldn’t mention smoking a butt in the presence of your friend, RCF? That could get awkward.

11:52 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

You guys cracked me up.

RG, I like peanut butter with syrup sandwiches. After all, some brands of PB put just a little molasses in the mix.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:48 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

No matter how many times I hear this current.com ad, I always hear “assholes” when the guy says “gas holds.”

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

So THAT gets by the modbot? πŸ˜€

10:53 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I okayed it with Laker Cat first. πŸ˜‰

11:22 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Your account is on suspension.

11:23 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never been suspended before, cg. Is that the message you get if it happens?

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I think LC has moderated himself.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

LC is probably glued to the KHSAA meeting.

11:53 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I just made that up Clutch. When this account stopped working for some reason a few years ago it just wouldn’t let me log in. Then one day it worked again. I don’t know why, but it seems like the former coincided with a site update, but I can’t remember for sure.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

“An STD Christmas”. Sounds like a really bad movie on the Hallmark channel. πŸ˜€

8. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

So I am encouraged about the talk of the vaccines that are “95% effective”, but how did they know for sure that the people who did not get sick were actually exposed to the virus in sufficient quantities to make them sick? Did everyone agree to have the virus injected into them, or have someone cough on them or something? That sounds like a factor that undoubtedly needs to be considered.

11:18 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m even more encouraged that there is yet a 3rd vaccine that is on the way. No idea on the effectiveness of any of them, although they all claim 90%+.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Pfizer is now claiming 95% efficacy…another company, too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

So why aren’t we hearing more about vaccines in other countries? Russia supposedly launched the “Sputnik Vaccine” months ago that was supposed to go out to the general population. I would expect that China would be on the cutting edge of this as well, since it originated over there.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

So does the Pfizer vaccine come with a little extra “bonus”? πŸ˜‰

9. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Well, if the guy grew up there, then that’s his hometown. I would think that would qualify.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:34 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

When I hear the commercial for “Research Raccoon”, I think of a mangy little trash panda picking through people’s garbage looking for receipts and bank statements.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:42 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think of Robertson County as mysterious. More like obscure.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:52 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

They mentioned the Carr Creek State Championship. Freddie Maggard’s Dad hit two game winning shots in that tournament.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

The Madden Pro Bowl will be about as worth watching as the normal Pro Bowl. I’m not sure why they even play that game at all. Just name the best players to the Pro Bowl teams and be done with it.

11:59 am November 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I guess the fatter contracts got the less players cared. Players in the 70s needed the extra cash. Now, not so much. Even baseball players don’t care like they used to, and that’s still considered the one that matters by some. I remember Joe Morgan saying they wanted to WIN the all star game, and also talking about how the NL president (I forgot his name) would come into their locker room and pump them up to beat the AL before the game. There are not separate NL and AL offices any more.

Putting the Pro Bowl the week before the Super Bowl also didn’t help when they started that. The SB teams couldn’t be represented. Hello!

I don’t know if they still do that.

12:04 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

You’re right about the all-star game meaning more back in the day. That Pete Rose vs Ray Fosse home plate collision happened in an all-star game. I guess the players who are likely to play in the WS care more, since home field advantage is at stake, but that’s not everybody.

14. TWhite
    12:04 pm November 18, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if anyone else has seen it, but I was doing some online Christmas shopping, and Nike has a new Kentucky basketball jersey that was just released and is available for purchase. I wonder if this is a sign for things to come?