KSR Show Thread 11/17: Sports and Pulaski County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will catch you up on the latest in UK sports and shine the spotlight on Pulaski County, the next county up in our Blue Lights Across The Bluegrass virtual tour.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

61 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/17: Sports and Pulaski County

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:04 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

So should I buy a cutout of myself, or of the real Chris Gettelfinger?

• Realme
      10:05 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Can it be two sided?

• ClutchCargo
      10:09 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I’d just go with your profile pic.

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Two-faced? That’s mean.

10:17 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I like all these suggestions!

10:19 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

But can they make a 6 foot cutout of my profile pic? BTW, that will be a lot taller than the…REAL ME.

• Realme
      10:52 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

šŸ™‚

2. Realme
    10:04 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I had this friend Chad when I was a kid, a neighbor I hung out with all the time. We grew apart, but were in the same graduating class and later connected on Facebook. He had a beautiful wife, a six year old daughter and was diagnosed with a cancer that he fought with sheer joy. It was amazing. He was honest about how bad he felt, and how sad he was about milestones he was going to miss, but he would end every post with “Thank you Lord for your blessings on me.” My dad visited him in hospice, and he was still just praising God. I don’t know if I could be half that strong, but I imagine that’s how Schlarman was too. No point to this, I was just thinking about both of them this morning.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Inspiring; great courage.

10:18 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for that. People like that are amazing. My friend who has fought that rare cancer for years said it was a blessing, and people don’t understand that, but he said it forced him to make sure he is ready spiritually.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:21 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

That’s one positive, if any, that comes from a long-term health issue. The opportunity to prepare. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I personally don’t know if I could be that strong, but they say that you don’t know how strong you can be until you have to. I do remember 16 or so years ago when it felt like the world was collapsing around me. Had lost my bro that summer, my dad was in the hospital with serious issues, my wife had been diagnosed with cancer while pregnant with our second, and my sister had been also diagnosed with a very serious cancer. I was driving and I just felt overwhelmed, and at that point I remember thinking, “OK God, this is too much for me. I am going to have to hand most of this over to you to carry for me.” And it was completely amazing – I immediately felt this peace come over me, and just knew that no matter what happened, somehow it was going to be OK.

10:33 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Whew, that’s a ton for any one person RCF. I read your comment about your aunt yesterday after the show was over. Prayers man.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Thanks cg. It’s all good. We need a little rain from time to time to appreciate the sunshine.

11:06 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

When I saw what you said about rain, I thought it was going to be this song:

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Lynn Anderson was a regular on the Lawrence Welk show before becoming a big star. Her mother, Liz, was also a successful songwriter and recording artist. But watch out for women that carry a gun on their leg

3. Realme
    10:15 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I’d like to see a whole row of just Ryan’s photos.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Can they do the Ryan-Biden photos?

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

If not, can we get one of those jumbo sized faces of him behind the backboard while the opposing team is shooting free throws? And make it the crazy looking face like when he was standing behind Biden.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Can we just find a Biden doppleganger to dress up in UK gear and walk down and hover over the guy while he shoots FT’s? Maybe sneak behind him and sniff his hair? šŸ˜€

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Maybe we need a fan like this guy:

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Whoa, poor man; he’s uglier than me.

10:48 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

That was hilarious.

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Hey, he’s even a ginger like the “real” Chris Gettlefinger!

BTW, Chris has a son who is playing college basketball. Chip off the old block:

11:55 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Wow!

When I went to Gameday at Auburn last season, a young lady saw my sign and said “We live in Knoxville & we know Chris Gettelfinger!” That was after I had said “Yeah, he was a scrub.” lol

No offense Real Chris.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

And, the Grizzlies are Division I. I like the shout out to his father; played basketball at Kentucky and won the National Championship.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:17 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Shout-out to Pulaski County, the current home of Laker Cat 18.

• Realme
      10:18 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

You should moderate yourself in celebration.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:20 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

šŸ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Mod Squad; remember the old TV show? Peggy Lipton was lovely.

10:30 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

YOUR COMMENT IS AWAITING MODERATION!!! HOW DARE YOU???!!!

10:30 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I remember that show. Linc had an awesome afro.

10:32 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

They did a reboot of that in the form of a movie (like every other old TV show) a few years ago. I never saw it.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I try to avoid all of those reboots. They either screw it up, or it’s pointless to remake something that was already good the way it was.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:32 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the Tide will be looking ahead to Auburn?

6. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Birmingham radio was terrible when I was down there. They played “Sweet Home Alabama” and “When the Bear Wins Number 315” every 30 minutes.

10:49 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

The rock stations still do that with song #1 RG. Go figure. lol
      It’s a great tune though. By a band from Florida.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:50 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Clutch & Chris brought up reboots in a previous comment. I’m curious…

What reboots or sequels were better than the original?

10:53 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

The only one I can think of is, in *some* respects, The Empire Strikes Back. There are sequels that were very well done…Rocky 2, Superman 2, but neither of those were better than the first.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:56 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m a Bad Boys 2 fan. I’ve never been into Star Wars, but I’ve considered getting Disney+ if we get shut down again and binging them all in order of release.

11:03 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Episodes 1-3 and 7-9 all disappointed. However, The Mandalorian is really good.

LC, the only Bad Boys I ever saw was the teen prison movie with Sean Penn long ago. Great movie. Pretty violent though I must admit.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Toy Story II was pretty good, although maybe not better than the original. “Aliens” may have had more excitement than the original.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Rocky III & IV?

• JTHinton
      11:27 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

i really want to like the mandalorian, but I really just like baby yoda. Though the most recent episode (no spoilers) dropped some names Iā€™m excited about!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:29 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

The Mandalorian is the main reason I want to watch the series. I haven’t started it yet, but I want to. I’ve heard it’s really good.

11:54 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe I forgot that Cobra Kai is really good if you’re a Karate Kid fan. KK 2 was good, but after that…*holds nose*.

They work a little too hard to make references to the original movie at times in season 1 of Cobra Kai, but it’s still really good.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:51 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

So if Mac wins the Heisman, can UK pay the Heisman folks to announce “From the University of Alabama, but ALMOST the University of Kentucky…!”???

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s not horseshoes…or hand grenades.

11:56 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Yup.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:03 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

File under HOLY COW! New ED commercial. It’s like football, you and your wife both love football, and you want some hot and sweaty football now.
    Now I’ll retire to Bedlam.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

That one’s actually been around for a while.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

For when your tight end is going to become a wide receiver…

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

RCF, the Mod Squad is gonna get cha.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Hot Summer Nights in Somerset is on my bucket list of cruises to go to. Kind of a long haul to drive my hot rod all the way down there.

Woodward Ave in Detroit is pretty legendary for cruising, but it only happens once a year.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:28 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Most of the cruisers bring their cars down in enclosed trailers. There’s not an open seat in any restaurant in Somerset on those nights. Shannon is right, locals pretty much stay home.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

I remember about 15 years ago someone in Frankfort got hold of some video someone took of the shenanigans that went on at Seventy Six falls at Lake Cumberland. Apparently they were so offended that they had the water patrol go all gestapo on the boaters down there, busting people left and right for alcohol possession. (It was a dry county back then.) I heard stories of people getting busted for having a glass of wine on the back of their houseboats while docked in their slips. Apparently this didn’t sit real well with the local marina and restaurant owners – they were afraid it was going to be bad for business. So they raised holy hell with the folks in frankfort. The story I heard was that the person responsible for the crackdowns got demoted, and life on the lake returned to “normal”.

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:38 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

Someone check on Marshall’s wife. Something tells me she won’t take this well.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

We have a quote, “&*^%#%^&(^$, dirty rotten &*&^@@#%s”

• Realme
      11:44 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

lol

• ClutchCargo
      11:50 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

$7 million is a lot to pay a guy who supposedly did the stuff he did, but it might take a period of laying low before he gets another chance to coach.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:59 am November 17, 2020 Permalink

This is late, but who gets the SC job? 2 names I’ve heard kicked around are Hugh Freeze (for UT maybe also if Pruitt gets fired, which I think is likely), and also the Coastal Carolina guy. There’s another I can’t remember, but he’s apparently the only coach in the country who has coached under both Swinney (sp?) and Saban.