KSR Show Thread 11/16: Turn on that radio

Photo by Mark Cornelison

Photo by Mark Cornelison

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap a weekend that included an emotional win over Vanderbilt, the Masters, and Will Muschamp being ousted at South Carolina, and look ahead to a big week that includes the Alabama game, the NBA Draft, and (virtual) Big Blue Madness.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/16: Turn on that radio

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:07 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

UK should sell those 65 stocking caps and donate the money for cancer research in honor of Coach Schlarman.

10:08 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

In fact, they could do ball caps as well.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Nice tribute at the start of the game, leaving the left guard open and taking the penalty. Classy move by Mason declining the penalty; very well done.

• Realme
      10:13 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Yes, RG that was really special.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Did you watch the other games later in the day? The UK tribute to Coach Schlarman was featured on the scrolling ticker all day.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

And what an honor for Landon Young to be the guy who just happens to play left guard and to wear 65 for this game.

10:22 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t, but I saw the SEC network’s story on Chris Oats. Interestingly, they said the family wouldn’t disclose what happened for legal reasons, so it seems a lawsuit (personal injury I’m guessing, but who knows?) is on the horizon (if not already filed).

10:23 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t see the very start of the game, but agree, that was a classy move by both coaches. I hope and pray that this is the end of strife and tragedy for our sports programs for a while.

10:24 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I forgot to add, maybe medical malpractice. I don’t recall ever reading here that it was legal reasons. They always just said the family wanted privacy, which I understand whether it’s legal reasons or not.

10:26 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

cg, Mrs RCF and I were also discussing the same thing. And I agree that it looks likely that it was some type of medical malpractice. The fact that he was transferred to another hospital might be related to that. Very much a shame for the young man and his family – it looks like he has a long fight back ahead of him.

10:26 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Yes, kudos to Mason for taking part in that. The pic of Schlarman’s wife waving to the O linemen was special.

10:29 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

In this day and age they could do masks too, although perhaps too politically charged. I will say that Humana may have scored a marketing coup with all the little lime green masks they distributed to their insured families. I see those things everywhere, have several myself. At least we are starting to get some good news regarding vaccines.

• Realme
      10:32 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know how anyone breathes through that Humana mask. It’s mostly polyester. Might as well be made of plastic.

10:37 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

They are double-layer, maybe that’s why. I generally think they are fairly comfortable.

Speaking of Covid, I lost one of my favorite aunts to it last week. Yes, she was 96 years old, but she was in very good health – probably would have made it to 100 without this plague. She was golfing up until a couple years ago, and was riding roller coasters up until her late 80’s. I learned from her immediate family that she once drank LaBradford Smith under the table in a contest. She was amazing. Sad loss for the world. Cancer sucks and COVID sucks. πŸ™

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I have a few of those Humana masks. I don’t like them because they seem shorter top to bottom than any of the others I have. I haven’t worn them enough to comment on being able to breathe through them.

11:12 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I was at a function in which the sponsor of it gave out free masks for everyone. The masks also had a clear thing to shield the eyes (not a full face shield) attached. But later when I tried it on the thing was translucent, not transparent (sort of like those translucent throwaway plastic drink cups)! Plus, it was scratched up! No one could see bupkis through that thing, even without scratches. lol

Whaddaya want for free I guess.

2. Realme
    10:12 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Nothing better than Matt’s Football Analysis on a Monday morning. So great we beat Vandy by 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:19 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I do think that the things that RG points out below were a factor. Granted, I still didn’t want this of all games to wind up being a nail biter, but at least it’s a W. Hopefully we take care of SC at least.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I hate sweating over a game vs Vandy, but I’m still happier to win a nail biter than to lose one. There’s a big fat * on this whole season anyway.

10:31 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I would normally be very critical about our performance Saturday. But with everything that went down this week, I’m going to give them a little slack on the final score. I just hope we keep it respectable against Bama.

• Realme
      10:45 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

If we could just have one game where defense and offense both show up, this week would be good.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I think our OL will hit ’em hard on Saturday.

10:52 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

You know, I keep thinking about the year we played Bama and were actually leading early by like 3 points. I don’t remember if we went bowling that year of if it was a year prior to that. Anyway, that Bama D player who was all world that year said UK was the most physical offensive line they had played. That was our first indication of what Schlarman was building (mine anyway), but I still didn’t know how special that group would become I remember thinking “Whoa!” when he said that.

Anyway, what a special coach, and by all accounts, a better man. I got misty listening to the pregame tribute when they dedicated “My Old Kentucky Home” to that Kentucky boy.

10:53 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

If we were still a year away I meant to say…

3. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I thought Coach Stoops did an admirable job Saturday; tough, emotional week, and key players out. He wanted to get backups some experience, including Allen. Backup defense didn’t play as he would have liked; but, I understood his decision.

10:24 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I was grumbling at the end when it looked like Vandy actually had an opportunity to win this game (that would have been SOOO Kentucky Football), but fortunately they did not, and I agree with you in general.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:30 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

All complaining about some aspects of the game aside, how about that long TD by C-rod? I was already typing this when they mentioned his name just now.

10:38 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I always feel good when “Baby Bennie” has the ball in his hands.

5. Catman Dan
    10:32 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Back to back Heisman contenders and 2 top #6 teams on the road is gonna be ugly, no doubt. But this season was always going to be bad for UK playing only SEC. I do wish we’d seen more snaps to the 2 backup QBs to know which one may be the future. Overall, they don’t lose much and should be much better next year. But same could be said with nearly every other SEC team. The one positive this season, especially if we beat SC, is that we are still firmly in the second tier and not slipped back to doormat status in the SEC. As long as UK is competitive and shows they can still beat other middle tier teams like UT, MSU, SC, Ol Miss, and maybe even sneak up on a FL or Ga once in a blue moon, then I guess we should be happy. But man, it sure would be nice to have a season like Indiana is having…..This weekend will be the biggest game in all our lifetimes for them…those candy striped douchers…lol.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, who would think Ohio State vs Indiana would be a big game?

10:43 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

And UC is top 10 also. Ugh.

I think IU should put those candy striped drawers on their football team. Give Oregon a run for most unusual/ugliest unis. Haha.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:34 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Player A: 13 carries, 149 yards, 2 TD’s
    Player B: 7 carries, 49 yards, 0 TD’s

Which one you starting? Give me a break and quit showing favoritism with upperclassmen. If a young guy is good enough, start him.

10:41 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like my kid’s HS volleyball team. πŸ™‚ But this is college, not HS!

• Realme
      10:47 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Good thing C-Rod has a great attitude about it, paraphrasing, “I don’t care about that, I’m just going to be ready to play whenever I go in”.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:34 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

What stickers is Matt talking about that he can’t talk about?

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Those blue rectangles on the new Rupp floor. They do resemble bumper stickers.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:38 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

If you look closely, they’re off-center. It looks terrible. The new UK logo looks terrible. The checkerboard looks terrible. It’s time to fire somebody.

10:42 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I gotcha. The way he was talking I thought he meant it was something political. The checkerboard is even more controversial. πŸ˜›

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s telling that Matt is banned from talking about something that is clearly so terrible. Maybe don’t have a crappy looking court if you don’t want people talking about it on the radio?

• Realme
      10:50 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

It does look terrible, but it’s one rush job because it’s a pandemic / major construction year. They’re not leaving it that way forever.

• Catman Dan
      10:54 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Central Bank is probably a sponsor of KSR..lol. They could have easily just put them prominently on the sidelines.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

If it’s just a temporary thing, I’m not going to get too worked up over it. Didn’t realize that.

• JTHinton
      11:34 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

We haven’t played a home game since the first week of March! They have had plenty of time to get the Central Bank logo on the court without making it look like it was done last-minute. The Staples Center hosts the Lakers, Clippers, and WNBA team along with hockey and never has any issues with the court design; the same goes for dozens of arenas across the country.

No excuse for such a terrible design, temporary or permanent

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:47 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

For some reason modbot won’t let me post about that TD run and I can’t figure out why. All I said (here’s another attempt, but rephrased) is the other team we played doesn’t have the personnel to catch guys from behind like better defenses in our conference do. A great TD run, but we have to be r-e-a-l-i-s-t-i-c.

10:48 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

And I added that we remember plenty of years that our team didn’t have the size or speed to compete in this league.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Come on chris, you know I can’t allow that garbage in here.

11:07 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

lol

11:08 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

My comment is awaiting moderation.

11:36 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I got zapped too, on my reply to the Johnny Bench comment. I wish it would just give you a hint what it doesn’t like. Maybe have a little Andy pop up saying “we can’t be doing that…” πŸ˜‰

9. runningunnin.454
    10:51 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Don’t really like firing a coach during the season; it’s still amateur sports, and they could wait til the end of the season, and leave the guy with a modicum of dignity.

• Catman Dan
      10:55 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh poor Willy…he’s got 15 million modicum’s of dignity coming his way….lol.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

The money is great, but these guys are still human beings. I’ve never been let go for poor performance, but even getting laid off sucks. I was fine financially, but it messes with your mind for a bit when that happens.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Well, generally speaking.

11:03 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

People always defend it by saying they have to get their search started because of recruiting, and I understand that, but yeah, maybe this year they should have waited with Covid and all.

I remember CM basically giving Curry an ultimatum that if we didn’t go 6-5 he was gone. He didn’t, and as soon as the L column showed 5 losses he was future-fired if you will. Curry would later say he thought about packing up and not finishing the year, but Mike Archer called him up and reminded him “Remember all the times that you’ve told players not to quit?” So he finished the year. I couldn’t have really blamed Curry if he quit right then, but good on Archer. Classy move.

11:35 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

I feel a little sorry for Bill Curry – not a great coach, but sounds like a good human being. In the end, when you are about to cross over, I guess it’s better to be the latter.

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Agree, RCF. I don’t understand fans hating a coach or player for not being very good at their job. All they can do is the best they can, then it’s on the AD or coach if they keep getting put in a position to fail.

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:56 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky has an all-time record of 2-37-1 against Alabama. The last game we played, I believe we led 3-0 for most of the 1st quarter…then lost 34-6. Bama has always been so explosive with their ability to score points fast.

• Realme
      11:02 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, I feel better. πŸ™

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Bama is Bama. When I was in school in Birmingham, Kentucky No. 1 Paducah Tilghman played nearby Homewood HS. Homewood wasn’t even ranked; but, they destroyed Tilghman. Don’t remember the score; but, it was ugly.

11:06 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Well, not every year. That year they won the whole thing by playing LSU a 2nd time was all defense. Remember the regular season game was all field goals and LSU won like 9-6 or something, and Lou Holtz said afterward “The only thing we learned is LSU has a better kicker”.

• Catman Dan
      11:13 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Bama has one advantage that I’ve really never seen another team have. Take a look sometime at their FULL roster. They have like 2 guys at EVERY SINGLE JERSEY NUMBER. I mean they have at least 75 walk-ons. And these are not chopped liver either. These guys can play and most of them would play at a school like UK. It is crazy and I’m not sure how they can do it…but no doubt it helps their depth and we know quite a few go on to earn schollys.

11. Catman Dan
    11:07 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

We can all complain all we want about Gran, Terry, and the anemic offense. But the reality is, outside of the UT and MSU games, the defense has been really bad. The Stoops zone is easily carved up when your front 4-5 cannot get pressure. And up tempo styles really seems to hurt this team BADDD.

11:28 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Very valid observations.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:14 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Somehow, I’m actually okay with the pre-season basketball sunshine pumping this year. Something to look forward to is hard to come by in 2020.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:21 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

So Matt knows something he can’t talk about; that’s so endearing.

• ClutchCargo
      11:22 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

We haven’t had enough of that lately. Time to get back to something normal.

• Realme
      11:29 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

At least this time it’s his own thing, and not “I know a huge UK thing that no one else knows (that won’t actually turn out to be huge in the end).”

14. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Johnny Bench said he was selling his memorabilia to fund his two youngest sons’ college educations. The guy is 72 or 73 and has two kids under the age of 12.

11:31 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like Johnny needs to talk to “Big Lou”. (If you have heard the commercial, you will get it.)

11:33 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

And I don’t know what would possess a guy to want young kids at his age. Grandkids is different – you can hand those back to the parents when you have had your fill of them. πŸ˜‰

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 am November 16, 2020 Permalink

Big Lou is just like you, he’s on meds too!