KSR Show Thread 11/16: Live from The Great Room

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is at The Great Room (287 Southland Drive) in Lexington to preview tomorrow’s football game vs. Middle Tennessee State and Sunday’s basketball game vs. VMI. Plus, general Friday hijinks.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

85 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/16: Live from The Great Room

1. ClutchCargo
    10:13 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

&^%$#@ power outage is threatening to cut into my UK sports viewing this weekend. Between that and sawing up numerous large tree limbs down in the backyard, this weekend is not looking to be the best ever.

• Realme
      10:16 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

That really sucks. I’m getting more and more resentful that I have to watch a loved one be married instead of watching football tomorrow.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Get a generator; I hook mine up to the TV and the coffee maker…and I’m fine. Can’t help you with the large tree limbs.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, so I got rid of the generator a couple of years ago since I hadn’t used it in a long, long time. I never used it for electronics and most appliances, however. Too much danger of voltage spikes that could end up being worse than a simple power outage.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, looks like the perfect excuse to call some buddies and head to the local sports bar for the game. 😉

We once ran out internet fulfillment business after the big ice storm here in Louisville by running everything off of inverters attached to cars running out in the parking lot. Lots of scrambling and extension cords. You couldn’t find a generator within 300 miles after that one! (had to also do it after Ike hit)

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Realme, maybe you can at least listen to the game with a set of earbuds. I once did that at a showing of The Nutcracker with my daughters when UK was playing UNC. It was funny – all the other dads in the audience were whispering at me for score updates.

• Realme
      10:39 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

tempting…

• Realme, if your hair is long enough, no one will know, especially if you have wireless earbuds!

• Realme
      10:52 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

My hair would come in handy, but I just remembered my phone won’t have reception where we are. Do churches have free wifi? 🙂

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:19 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Realme, only the church of Scientology.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I’m envisioning a scenario like those Buffalo Wild Wings commercials where someone finds a way to slip out of an event they don’t want to be at and finds a hidden door to B-dubs.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I would rather talk about the games.

3. Realme
    10:15 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

No. Not while strangers are eating dinner around you. Not that hard to cover up. I know I’m supposed to be all woman power, but I don’t want to have to see that while I eat my ribs. However, the manager shouldn’t have done it himself.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:16 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Would be worse if you were eating melons…

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

So I guess this lady just made it perfectly OK for all the dudes to scratch themselves and make, ahem, “package adjustments” in a restaurant. (Yeah, I know, it already happens at baseball games. 🙂 )

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Iam, or eggs sunny side up. 🙂

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:21 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Lol!

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Or drinking milk. I still want to talk about the games…LOL.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:24 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Coconut milk??

• Realme
      10:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Ugh, the milk one made me gag a little bit.

• I’ll probably regret this, but what is this in reference to? My listening has been spotty today, and nonexistent for a couple days.

• Never mind, I just read the thread below this one!

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, Realme about the milk…I told them to talk about sports, ha ha.

• Realme
      10:58 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

It’s ok, it was a laugh and gag at the same time situation. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Realme, is that kind of like when you were a kid in the lunchroom and you had milk come out of your nose when your friend made you laugh while drinking it? 😉

• Realme
      11:14 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

RG did make me do a spit take once.

4. cats646
    10:17 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

If the napkin didn’t injure the kid, and I doubt it did, I see nothing wrong with covering it up. There was probably little kids having to look at that woman’s breast. Manager is in the clear IMO.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:18 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

The manager has no right to cover the baby’s head and her breast, he can ask her to do it, manager not in the clear IMO.

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

He should have asked her to do it. He crossed a line there by doing it himself.

• cats646
      10:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Yea I see what you mean. But he was probably freaking out because there was a boob staring back at him. Ha

5. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

HaHa – Ryan is now going to inspire 57 women to show up at KSBar tomorrow breastfeeding out in the open for a free meal. 😀

6. Realme
    10:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

People with young children in restaurants are right up there with McConnell’s Trace neighborhood dog owners for their lack of consideration of others.

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

TRUTH!!

7. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Most people don’t know what an incredible guitarist Roy Clark was, but I bet runningunnin does.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Yep, incredible talent including classical guitar. I also seem to remember he subbed for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show several times, and in the ’70’s I think he was the highest paid country star.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:37 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I believe you are correct on all counts.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I have mad respect for anyone who can play many different musical instruments. It’s like someone who can speak multiple languages. Bonus points for the ones who can sing at the same time that they play.

9. Guys, I have some personal news. I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma on the top of my head the other day. I kind of know how Josh Paschal feels now. It should be okay. My dermatologist says it’s only about half as deep as the REAL concern would be (like 3.5 instead of 7…I don’t remember the unit measure terminology). My lung X-rays and blood work were clear.

However, he is sending me to UAB (RG’s old stomping ground) for a consult with a surgical oncologist, so I would appreciate your prayers. The consult is set for Nov. 26.

Needless to say, I need to wear a hat more than I do to cover my bald spot. I always do when working in the yard, but I guess now I have an excuse to buy the cool & expensive officially licensed Indiana Jones fedora!

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Prayers, and best wishes. Every man looks good in a fedora, I own four of them.

• Realme
      10:50 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

You buy all the hats you want. Thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

You got it, cg. I am glad that it sounds like they caught it early. And if it turns out that it may have spread, they have made tremendous advances in immunotherapy in treating Melanoma. Jimmy Carter may be the best known success story.

I had a similar scare a couple months ago. They took out what they suspected was squamous cell carcinoma from the opening of my left ear. I made the mistake of googling it and scared the crap out of myself. Apparently if that stuff gets in your ear canal, it can easily spread to the inner ear and even the brain. Thankfully the path report came back benign.

I have had enough cancer in my world for two lifetimes. Cancer sucks. Prayers going out that all goes well for you.

• cats646
      11:04 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Prayers for you CG. And good luck with the Indiana jones look!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:05 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Prayers Chris, my dad has had dozens of spots removed, every time he goes the find 6 or 7 more.

• Booby Petrino
      11:06 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Best wishes for getting better asap, gettel

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

And, Chris..don’t forget the leather jacket. Harrison Ford got nuthin’ on you.

• Iamhe, that’s what I am afraid of. They tell you to wear a hat or sunscreen on your head, but I can’t put the Coppertone that’s like Crisco and Gorilla Glue mixed up there. The dermatologist’s nurse or tech told me there is some brand called Dry (or Dri?) that isn’t sticky and goopy like that, so I’ll have to try find that. I already looked at Walmart and didn’t see it.

Thanks everyone!!!

• I already have a brown suede leather jacket! Granted, it’s old and was a cheapie, but it looks good IMO. I would really like to have one of those nice bomber jackets that is the smooth finish leather. They are ULTRA cool.

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Glad they caught it early, and hopefully all will be well. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• ClutchCargo
      11:43 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Hang in there, cg. Fortunately, it is very treatable when caught early.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:59 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I agree with Matt – driving is therapy for me. Especially if there is no traffic and I am behind the wheel of the 69 Camaro convertible! (Too cold now)

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Gotta be tough to drive a convertible in the winter; but, the motorcycle guys and girls are just nuts.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I like driving when there’s not much traffic.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I love a clear fall day and a curvy road to carve up. (and hopefully no deer to run out in front of me.) Driving bliss!

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

If there’s a lot of traffic and you’re riding with me…. you’ll probably learn some new words.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I probably already know those words and use them when I drive in heavy traffic.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Take care not to break your middle finger…won’t be able to drive.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I remember a couple of years ago when the Mets mascot was caught on film flipping off a rival fan – I thought that it would be great to have a cutout of that picture to display to people who cut me off in traffic. 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

That Mets picture is great. I know it wasn’t in ’69; but, that would have been appropriate when the Mets won the World Series, considering the abuse they endured in the early ’60’s.

11. Realme
    11:29 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Those Billy years are such a surreal memory.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I honestly have blocked out a lot of the worst of it. BCG was far and away the worst basketball coach we’ve had in my lifetime.

• Realme
      11:36 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I used to put the game on and then pick up a book to distract myself.

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

He was easily the worst UK basketball coach in anyone’s lifetime who is around to read this. I just wonder how much of that was due to his alcoholism. He might have had a few screws loose anyway and that just brought it out of him even more. Either way, he was a horrible fit for UK even without those issues, and I can’t forgive Mitch for hiring him and never contacting Cal.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:40 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

From what I’ve heard he was much better at picking up college girls and throwing parties than coaching. He is by far the worst UK basketball coach in UK history.

12. Realme
    11:43 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

I want Chester to be real so badly.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:49 am November 16, 2018 Permalink

Whoa, “He Stopped Loving Her Today”, voted best country song in history. And, when he first looked at it, George Jones said, “nobody will buy that sad-ass song”. (Or something like that).