KSR Show Thread 11/13: Turn on your radio!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss Mark Stoops’ comments about the offense, the SEC Tournament staying in Nashville, and the latest whispers about Jeff Brohm and the Louisville job. Tune in or miss out!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

33 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/13: Turn on your radio!

1. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Agree with Matt – he was hated by many, but I always thought Marshall Henderson was always an entertaining.sideshow. After all, he gave us the GIF that keeps on giving!

Great story about it here:

• Realme
      10:17 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I started out hating him, but he said some nice things about Ky and started to grow on me.

• That story (ESPN.com?) where the writer broke the gif down frame by frame and analyzed every person’s reaction in the video was the best.

• RCF, I just read that story. I don’t remember reading that the security guard that’s smiling so big was apparently a Bama fan. Hilarious!

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

He may have been the most punchable non-Duke player ever.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Henderson was a schmuck, but I kinda respect his moxie. Of course, we usually managed to shut him down, and I don’t think his teams ever beat us, so that helps with my non-hate of him.

2. Realme
    10:19 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I missed the beginning of this. Why are they just naming Miss St people?

3. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

If the offense is going to “move forward”, does that mean no more passes across the field?
    I hope, I hope.

• ScoggDog
      10:30 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Just turned on KSR.

Is it OK to criticize the offense now … since Matt Jones is finally doing it ?

• Yes, north & south please. First we have to start opening some holes for Benny though.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Guess so, I just did. That pass across the field frustrates me, especially with no blocker. That’s a pick-six waiting to happen.

• Even though it worked well many times for Couch and co., I think it turned into a pick 6 once. I might be mixing it up with another play though.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

That lateral pass would be fine occasionally if the defense had to get more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage to protect down field. When you already have them in so close to shut down Benny, it would be better to just take a knee than throw that dangerous pass that has no chance of gaining any yards.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

All we need to do is play faster. Most of our issues on offense go away when we play up tempo.

4. Realme
    10:33 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I agree with whoever said this on the football podcast. Gotta play up tempo next year. This slow grind style won’t work without Benny.

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Yep. The problem is, I don’t think it’s really in Stoops’ DNA to give the other team as many possessions as a faster tempo offense would. He’s a lot like Tubby in that regard

• Realme
      10:55 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I feel like there was one year they said they were going to do it.

5. BTW guys, a local talk show host here is the Troy play by play guy, so he knows Neal Brown really well. He didn’t have a strong opinion on whether Neal would go to UL, but he did point out that he really likes it at Troy, and his wife likes it too. He can be a dad & sit at his kid’s ball games (which the broadcaster has done with him) & not constantly get asked for autographs & selfies.

The biggest thing was probably this: he pointed out the (well documented here) mess that is the UL athletic department right now, and to me it sounded like he thinks Neal would at least be hesitant to look seriously at that job.

Take that for the 2 cents it’s worth.

BTW, Mike MacIntyre is apparently out at Colorado. If you don’t remember, he was a candidate at UK before Stoops got hired.

6. Realme
    10:40 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Not to be a whiner about a free show, but this topic is so boring. Please take some calls.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

So you’re not going to give us your favorite player from every school in the SEC? Awww.

• Realme
      10:54 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… snort. What? I’m awake.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

The guys are missing two of the best basketball players in the SEC; Dominique Wilkins of Georgia, and Johnny Neumann of Ole Miss.
      Neumann averaged 40 pts/game in his only year in college, and was the first collegiate player to leave early for the NBA.
      Wilkins killed us every game.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

I hate to say it, but I am worried that the fact that Petrino is out, players at UL look to be rejuvenated, the UL game will be a night game, and out late season swoon has the makings of a perfect storm for a loss. UL will use this as their bowl game – they would like nothing better than to ruin our season as a parting shot. Stoops better have these boys ready to go to war, because it will be one – in spite of how bad UL has looked this season. For this game, they will be TRYING.

• Realme
      11:04 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Same. I’m not even going to assume anything about this week’s game.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely; I guess we’ll see how UL is going to play the rest of the year this weekend when they play NC State.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

rg, no matter how UL plays against NC State, they will raise it one level of magnitude in a rivalry game against UK. Count on it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Don’t scare me RCF; IF we were to lose to UL, Coach would have an impossible task of defending this team’s place in the history of UK football.

8. J-Dub421
    11:29 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

All you have to do to be competitive in the NBA is keep drafting UK players until you get competitive.

• ClutchCargo
      11:50 am November 13, 2018 Permalink

Just don’t draft every UK guard possible like Phoenix does. Even with Booker, they still suck.

• J-Dub421
      12:04 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Well obviously you should spread it across multiple positions. Phoenix was also stupid and traded Knight and Bledsoe, and cut Ulis. Now they have no point guard. The management in Phoenix is so inept.