KSR Show Thread 11/12: Remembering John Schlarman

This morning’s news that John Schlarman is gone hit us all like a ton of bricks. Kentucky Sports Radio is here for you. Tune in for some group therapy as we remember great moments of Schlarman’s life and the incredible example that he set. Somebody bring tissues.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

84 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/12: Remembering John Schlarman

1. ClutchCargo
    10:05 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I was going to sit this one out and actually get some work done. But man, what a gut punch to start the day. It’s weird, but I was grilling some pork chops for dinner yesterday evening and it hit me that we were going to hear some bad news about Schlarman any day now. Just out of the blue.

10:08 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I had bad feelings when it was reported that he had become too sick to make the trip to Mizzou.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

A teeny tiny silver lining is that the last game he coached was a win vs UT.

10:47 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

A really good friend of mine had a similar battle with cancer. His was head & neck – very serious and aggressive. I remember helping him install and engine in his boat when he was literally barfing over the side from the chemo. He had to have a feeding tube implanted because he couldn’t swallow from the radiation on his throat. He wanted to get the boat running because he wanted it to be easier to sell if he didn’t make it – didn’t want his wife to have one more thing to worry about. Fortunately, he won his battle, and today he races dirt bikes cross country (he is in his 60’s) and regularly trounces guys who are half his age. Badd-azz doesn’t begin to describe this guy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:20 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Wow.

• FloridaCat88
      1:23 pm November 12, 2020 Permalink

BIG BLUE LEGEND in every sense of the word. Helped mold great football players, and more importantly, better men. He will be sorely missed..

2. RealCatsFan
    10:07 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I am at a loss for words. 2020 just keeps topping itself for sheer brutality and unfairness. RIP Coach Schlarman. May the Lord wrap His loving arms around his friends and family, and this football team. This hurts! #CANCERSUCKS

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:11 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Oh no, I hadn’t been on KSR this morning (or last night either) so I’m just hearing this. Terrible, and prayers for the family. I have to get out of myself and think about others more. I’m moaning about things at work irritating me and his family is going through this. The other day I got word that someone who used to teach for me lost his adult son.

Anyway, pray for his family and his players also.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Coach’s strength and courage was incredible. So fitting his last game was a great victory…as was his life.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:14 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Rest in Peace, Coach. I hate waking up to news like this…

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:26 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m stunned KY hasn’t been shut down again, but with that said…I think Andy is scared to death to pull the trigger on that again.

10:36 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t blame him. If a bunch of dudes showed up at my residence with AR’s and hung me in effigy, I would worry too.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:38 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

It has nothing to do with that crazy act. It has everything to do with the KY AG taking him to court and zipping up his restrictions.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:06 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Well as soon as I type that, news breaks that the KY Supreme Court ruled in favor of Beshear. I now expect another shut down pretty soon.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:27 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Matt proclaims the story to be good news but didn’t address the legalities. Hmmm…

I don’t know beans about the Kentucky constitution, but I thought he might at least give a nutshell explanation as to why he things the orders are legal.

8. cats646
    10:28 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I never where a mask anymore. Not in any stores, church, etc. I think if we just stopped talking about it, it would go away. Just like racism.

• cats646
      10:28 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

*wear lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Just doesn’t work that way unfortunately.

10:38 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I was hoping you had your sarcasm font on and it didn’t show, but alas, I read down a little further and realized it wasn’t so.

• cats646
      10:43 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I completely understand y’all disagreeing with me. I just feel like this isn’t near as bad as we’re making it out to be. I know a couple people that have died from it, but they had very serious health problems and were already basically on their death beds. Again, I understand if you don’t agree.

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Think about the problems we may have in our lives; do they go away if we ignore them, or do we have to face them?

• cats646
      10:55 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I get your point RG. What I’m saying is that I don’t think this is actually a big problem like it’s said to be. That’s why I compared it to racism. I don’t think racism is near as big a problem as people make it out to be these days.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

That’s a fair point, and I really don’t know. I’ve just always been one to address the problems head on.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:19 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

You think if we stopped talking about God, he would just go away too? That’s an “out there” analogy comparing covid to racism. Compare to the flu, sure. But to racism? The whole apples and oranges thing…I think this applies to that. LOL

• cats646
      11:37 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

LakerCat, I’m not comparing Covid to racism as in the problem itself. I’m comparing them being pushed on us 24/7 and made out to be worse than they are just to get votes. That’s what I think is happening.

9. cats646
    10:31 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

This is all about control. Forcing a vaccine on people is literally unamerican. If the people who are scared get a vaccine, then why should everyone else have to? Makes no sense. Biden won, now a vaccine will be forced on us, because China owns the Democratic Party. And half of the Republican Party. We’re in trouble people.

10:57 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I agree that we are in trouble, but I feel like the trouble starts with our current president declaring that the voting process is corrupt even before it had started. Reminds me of Louisville fans complaining about the refs giving UK favorable calls even before the game is played. And predictably, now he is claiming malfeasance. He has the right to ask for a recount in the states where the results were close, but filing a bunch of frivolous lawsuits and vowing to take it to the SCOTUS, all the while riling up his voting base in an effort to delegitimize the democratic process that is the basis of our society is, well, unAmerican. My opinion – I’m sure others will (hopefully respectfully) disagree.

Sorry to get this off the rails. I know, stick to sports. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

But didn’t the dems delegitimize the democratic process in the previous election? I seem to remember calls to change the constitution and do away with the electoral college. That said, I agree that he should just face the fact that he lost.

• cats646
      11:10 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

The democrats called the last election rigged. It goes both ways. I know Trump is an a$$hole and a crybaby, but I also think one reason he got so much hate from the media is because he couldn’t be bought out by lobbyists like past presidents and did his own thing. That’s why I like him. Idk if the election is rigged or not. I for one, wouldn’t be surprised either way.

11:18 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Valid points, gentlemen. Yes, a lot of Dem’s were howling about the EC after Clinton won the popular vote. I don’t think they should take away the EC, but perhaps do it like Maine and Nebraska nationwide rather than the winner take all as it is in most states. But someone is always going to be unhappy – winners and losers, ya know.

cats646, I actually was in support of some of the things that Trump did – the renegotiation of NAFTA, getting tougher on China regarding trade (although I am not sure if the tariffs were the most effective approach), and the mideast peace talks. But his hostility towards anyone who dares to disagree with him, his narcissism and refusal to consider the possibility that he is not right about everything, and his, um, lies were a major turnoff. I yearn for someone who is a true outsider to become president who will really “drain the swamp”. I’m just not on-board with someone who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth having the ability to truly relate to the middle class and have their interests in mind.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:23 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Oddly enough RCF, his “Make America Great Again” is why he won the rust belt states last time around, and we had record high employment numbers before Covid. Also, some who know him say he’s more comfortable (or at least as comfortable) around the “hard-hats” than he is with the suits in his company.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:24 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think vaccines are going to be forced upon citizens. Are you saying that America will be forced to purchase the vaccines from a China brand because of Biden’s connections? Your first post was kind of confusing. I agree with your second post about Trump though. I think he was dealt a bad hand out of the gate because of his moral flaws prior to his presidency.

11:31 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I will agree that many members of the press had it out for Trump from the start. But he fanned the flames quite a bit as well – perhaps he likes it that way. I just thought the way he did it usually came off as pretty childish. Again, my opinion.

I also think that Obama also had many people against him right from the start. And he did not help matters either when he tried to bully some of his legislation through. I think politics in America have always been contentious, but social media and the internet have allowed it to be taken to a new level. And I don’t think that genie is ever going back into the bottle. That may ultimately be the undoing of democracy in America. You honestly have no way to know what source is providing the unfiltered truth. Probably none of them.

• cats646
      11:39 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Well said RCF

• Laker Cat 18
      11:43 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I agree completely. Trump’s biggest fault as president was his social media accounts. I do believe he is a man of controversy. As Tito Oritz once said, “It’s a good thing when they’re talking about you, good or bad. It’s when they stop talking about you is when you have to worry.”

• 4everUKBlue
      11:57 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I think we’re in trouble regardless of who gets in the White House, I’m done with voting for the lesser of two evils. I agree with 646, I don’t believe either is as bad as the MSM are making them out to be, the news is nothing but fear propaganda these days, I don’t wear a mask and I will not take covid vaccine or any other vaccine. I expect most if not all of you will strongly disagree with my statements but these are my beliefs and I’m sticking to them. This is not the country I grew up in anymore and it sickens me.

• Bluehender
      7:29 am November 13, 2020 Permalink

Sadly 4ever, nothing stays the same. Not just the country, but it’s the not world we grew up in anymore.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Can you provide a direct quote where Biden has said that he would make the vaccine mandatory? If it’s there, I haven’t seen it. Now I have read that ticketmaster might make it a requirement (or was it a negative test, can’t recall honestly). In any case, that is a privately owned company who has a right to issue that requirement if they want, just like those who don’t agree with it have the right to not buy from them. THAT is American.

• cats646
      10:46 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

No I don’t think Biden has said that. I just mean that I think it will end up being mandatory for everyone to have a vaccine before we’re allowed to go anywhere. And I fully believe that Biden is a puppet pushed by lobbyists who are owned by China, who want to control us all.

10:51 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I think it is going to become like immunizations in the school systems. Places of business will make their own decisions about whether proof of vaccination is mandatory. I can see certain industries, like healthcare, making it mandatory. But I will be surprised to see a federal government mandate.

• cats646
      10:53 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I hope you’re right. I’m not saying that I’m for sure right, I guess it’s just what I fear MAY be true. I hope I’m completely wrong. But it kinda makes sense because Biden was dead last in all democratic primaries, then everyone dropped out and endorsed him all at once. It’s just fishy. lol weird times we’re living in.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I won’t RCF. It’s what statists do.

11:09 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

cg, I was curious about the term “statist” that you used, so I went looking for a formal definition. I learned that the antonym would be “anarchist”. And I thought this guy’s take on it was pretty interesting (and on-point).

Hey, I know most hate to talk politics, but I am encouraged that so far everyone has been respectful. 🙂

• cats646
      11:12 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I love arguing polotics, as long as people will actually talk and disagree respectfully instead of calling me an evil racist and running off. Lol. Idc if people disagree with me, that’s what makes us unique. I just enjoy arguing honestly, I missed a good chance to be a lawyer

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:36 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Of course I’m no anarchist either, but the constitution puts limits on government power and they often exceed it. Unfortunately it’s like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube, only worse.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:59 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t necessarily believe they will make it mandatory to get the vaccine, but I do believe they will make life very difficult for those of us who do not.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:53 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Matt should qualify that. It’s the 2014 POST-season team, not the regular season team, that is in the next pack.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:08 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

The 2015 team did have a historical defense…until Poythress went down; then there was a chink in the armor.

11:22 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Poy was a great athlete and an excellent defender, but I am not certain that his injury was the reason our defense seemed to flag. You are correct that it contributed, and i also think the team just collectively lost focus on defense as the season wore on. I think the pressure of remaining undefeated was just too much to bear in the end. Oh so close.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:10 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Um, yeah, I tried to walk a 22 lb Siamese cat that I used to own at the urging of my vet. Didn’t go so well. Put a harness and leash on him, and basically drug him around the yard, much to the delight of my neighbors. 😀

• ClutchCargo
      11:14 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I can’t imagine that went over too well. I think Siamese are among the cattiest of the cats.

11:24 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Siamese are a unique breed. Very vocal and affectionate in general, but with attitude. They probably have a personality more like dogs in many ways – they get pretty attached to their “human”. And they are very VOCAL. I keep a shoe handy for the late-night caterwauling sessions. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Dogs just enjoy the ride; cats want to drive.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Haha! Ryan sounds just like Ron Burgundy just reading something and not thinking about the actual words or what they mean.

15. Bluehender
    11:12 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

That exchange with Ryan made me smile..

16. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

That tunnel is awesome! It looks almost too small to drive your vehicle through, and then it just takes awhile to get through because you’re afraid of hitting with walls.

11:24 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I missed it – where is it?

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge area.

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

*the walls.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:35 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I remember hiking up to Natural Bridge as a kid. It gave me a little vertigo being up there. Haha.

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:34 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

REAL country music! Not this rap country stuff.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Last night we watched a Willie Nelson performance with a very small intimate audience. He sang only old bluegrass songs, and I had only heard one of them…it was excellent.

• runningunnin.454
      11:41 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

BTW, he had this old guitar; it actually had a hole just under and to the right of the sound hole, and had a buckle holding the guitar together. Seemed to be a classical acoustic guitar, and it definitely needed a pick guard.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:42 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

^^^Like^^^

• Laker Cat 18
      11:46 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Drake White came to Somerset’s Moonlight Festival last month. He was great. Very unique voice and a great comeback story from a medical diagnosis he has attained.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:46 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

As far as good country music. (Well I would classify White as country.)

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I had a classical acoustic guitar once. Didn’t like it much; the fret board was too wide, and the string action was too high. It also had nylon strings, and they just don’t ring like steel strings. Traded it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I’ll accept Drake White as country, but he’s almost more blues. He has had some really good songs that don’t get a lot of radio play. Probably because he doesn’t fit neatly into any genre.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:55 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I agree Clutch. I thought blues as soon as I sent my last comment… Little bit of a mix if you like that type of thing. He put on a great show here.

11:57 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I wonder what that guitar will be worth someday. 🙂 The patina is what makes them interesting, kind of like SRV’s 1963 Fender Stratocaster.

12:01 pm November 12, 2020 Permalink

Or this one!

I have this whole perfomance on VHS. Need to transfer that one to DVD before I lose it.

12:12 pm November 12, 2020 Permalink

And yeah, I know there are no lyrics to this song, but to me the melody is telling me to savor the good times with those you love, because all things must pass. Especially poignant on the day that we lost John Schlarman. 🙁

18. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:38 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

It is surprising that no Red has ever won the Cy Young.

No, Tom Seaver wasn’t the best Reds pitcher ever. He was past his prime although he had a very good year or 2. The best pitcher in the 70s was probably Gary Nolan. I stand to be corrected. The best one of the 80s was probably Mario Soto like Matt said, but he pitched on some bad teams.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

The Dodgers had a lot to do with no Reds pitchers winning it before. For every great Reds pitcher who had a shot, the Dodgers always seemed to have a guy who had a little better year. Plus, the Cy Young award has only been around since the mid-50’s, so being an old franchise doesn’t matter all that much.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:43 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

And LA is a bigger market. They and the Yankees always had that advantage built in. It didn’t stop The Big Red Machine in 75 & 76 though! Boy what a team.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Free agency and no salary cap ruined it for teams like the Reds in smaller markets.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:43 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I believe I will go with what BJ/Brandon Boston says about what he goes by instead of what Tom Hart says. smh

20. Laker Cat 18
    11:49 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Say it again for the ones in the back. Matt is cousins with Morgan Wallen.

• ClutchCargo
      11:54 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

He’s just Morgan now. lol

• Laker Cat 18
      11:59 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t even notice he dropped Wallen. It’ll be a nickname next time. Just Mo or Wall-Daddy.

21. Laker Cat 18
    11:54 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t feel bad for Rex Chapman at all. He has made his bed. With bad habits, with his “breaking news,” with political affiliations. It is what it is at this point. I’m not sure why anyone gives him any air-time on any platform. He’s more annoying than he is good at anything affiliated with media.

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Totally agree. I don’t actually hate the guy, but I don’t feel at all sorry for him either.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:59 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Same boat. I just don’t care what he has to say anymore. Carries zero weight with me, basketball or politics.

22. Laker Cat 18
    11:57 am November 12, 2020 Permalink

Thursday Night Football is the…Titans. It’s not like the Colts aren’t involved and they have no fans in KY. (I’m a Colts guy…)