KSR Show Thread (11/12): Group therapy

It’s time to unite and cheer up as a fan base with Monday’s KSR radio show. Matt and Ryan will discuss what went wrong in the loss at Tennessee and how concerned we should be moving forward, but they’ll also try to bring some life back to Big Blue Nation.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

60 Comments for KSR Show Thread (11/12): Group therapy

1. RealCatsFan
    10:08 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Wow, that was the worst 8-day stretch for UK Athletics that I can remember for a long, long time. At least the soccer and volleyball teams won, huh?

I now have serious concerns about both the football and basketball games against UofL. Less so for the basketball game, but UL Football will likely have their backs against the wall and may play inspired in an effort to spoil their season, much like we did to them for Lamar Fumblegate.

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I now have trust issues when it comes to UK sports. Odd, because I was getting over that at one point this football season.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

We are a soccer/volleyball school now?

2. ClutchCargo
    10:09 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just get this out of the way. Clearly my comment a day or two before the UGA game “What a time to be a UK fan!” pissed off not just the football gods, but the college sports gods. For that I am truly sorry.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

This is all Clutch’s fault, folks. 😀

• Realme
      10:14 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

That WAS a great time to be a UK fan.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Also, I even predicted this and didn’t realize it when I commented “You realize that setting us up for apparent success like this is just the kind of thing the football gods would do to UK football, right?”

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, that beotch Lucy is back to yank the football away from us.

3. Realme
    10:10 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Not our best month for sports. Sure hope football bounces back, so Josh can go out on a high note.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

So now we have dissension and drama in the football locker room.
    Best line of a movie ever; the kid looks over the side of the boat, and says, “THIS IS BAD”.
    Q up Celine Dion ’cause the ship is sinking.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m hoping this is just comments being overblown by those not in the locker room. But this pattern of good start > lose focus > crash and burn is getting tiresome, and I’m sure it grates on the nerves of the players who spend so much time and effort to make this work.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I couldn’t stomach watching any more of the dook game after halftime last week, so maybe someone who is a sports masochist can answer my question. Did we have Reid guarding Zion, or someone else?

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

We didn’t guard anybody on the Duke team.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Point taken, rg. So who “attempted” to guard Zion? 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Again, no body.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Trick question, RCF. There wasn’t much of an attempt to guard anyone. I think it might have been PJ or Keldon in the beginning.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Should have been Reid all day long. Hell, he is the only one who comes close to his body weight.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

If we have to play them again, maybe we should borrow someone from the football team to have 5 fouls to just rough him up, kind of like Hack-a-Shaq. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Reid is close to him in size, but he isn’t nearly quick enough to stay in front of Zion when he is hitting outside shots like he was.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

RCF I know you’re kidding; but, Rupp actually did that against the LSU bullies, Newton and Sanders.
      I think he dressed Bishop and Stephens from the football team.

• That is hilarious RG! I wish there were highlights of that on the Yootoobs. There may actually have been a game film of that when ukbasketballlive.com was still up and running.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yep, it worked, too. Fig Newton and Apple Sanders were tame as kittens when the football players went in.
      It actually sounded like a herd of buffalo in Memorial when they jogged to the scorer’s bench…lol.

6. CATandMONKEY
    10:19 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Wednesday morning I could quip, with oh-so-heavy irony “Well, at least we can look forward to football.”

Then Saturday.

Fortunately, the past 26 years of my UK football fanhood has conditioned me to slip back into the acceptance stage of grief. A perpetual condition for many a long time UK football fan.

We have seen good football this season- Coaches need to figure how to bring it back to close out.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

We need to play up tempo. I get that Stoops wants to burn clock, but it’s not working. Everything works better when we play faster on offense.

• Realme
      11:33 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Very much this JDub! We instantly look better when we start to run out of time and play faster, and Terry has said he’s more comfortable.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I honestly do think that Petrino wanted to get fired to get his buyout. I bet later it will come out that he and Tyra didn’t get along. He truly looked like he didn’t give a crap this season – just sat there with that smirk on his face saying “we just aren’t very good right now.”

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Tyra seems like a genuinely classy guy. So naturally they wouldn’t get along.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I think Tyra was a UK baseball player.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

UK baseball. He was a QB at Trinity, and I think he played basketball and baseball for them too. I went to school with him – didn’t know him real well because he hung with the jocks and I hung with the party crew. Seems like a nice enough guy though – a lot less of an ass than Jurich.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

But his daddy is in the UL HOF as a basketball player back in the 60’s. When Vince was first hired on, some of the dumbasses in the UL fan base were mad because he used to play for UK. 😉

8. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

So what happened to the UK fans who were crowing that we should have hired Petrino?

• Realme
      10:26 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

They think we should make him our OC. Not even kidding.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

As much as it would be hilarious to smack UL fans upside the head if we hired him and we actually started having a good offense with him, the man is just too slimy and too much of an a-hole to stomach that idea.

• Nick Saban has made a cottage industry of hiring fired/shamed HCs and making them interns, analysts, film breaker-downers…

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Ron Hudson would be a more attractive option than Petrino at this point.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

What the hell is the kid saying for the Kraft snack commercial? Drives me crazy.

10. gasman01
    10:35 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

If the unthinkable happens and we drop the last 2, do we clean house or just keep Stoops and crew and say 7 wins are fine. We should win them both, but a bickering team is the worse thing that could happen.

• Realme
      10:38 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

If by clean house you mean Stoops, that isn’t going to happen. He’s already been given at least one bonus and extention. Offensive staff changes, who knows.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

But, whose offensive strategy is it; Stoops or Gran; I really don’t know anymore. I do know that we won’t beat MTSU or UL with Saturday’s offensive effort.

• Realme
      10:47 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know how much to blame play calling vs bad execution.

• Realme
      10:49 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Oh and I think Gran does all the play calling except for the occasional “give it to 26”. Stoops seems pretty hands off and I think that may have even been promised in bringing Gran and Hinshaw here.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

All I know is the team better come out with some enthusiasm the next two games, because the opponents aren’t going to be feeling sorry for us. Just executing the plays that we’re good at would be a great start.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

The inconsistency of the targeting calls remind me of the block/charge call in basketball. Both drive me crazy, and is seems like UK gets screwed on a disproportionate number of both.

• Realme
      10:52 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

That and the “you touched a ref” call. It’s only our players that get kicked out for it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, and the refs are quick to touch our players; that ref even threw the flag at Bunchy and hit him with it. Punk.

12. I was in Vol country over the weekend, or at least so I thought. We were in Johnson City, TN for a karate tournament, and it turns out it is ETSU country. I didn’t know ETSU is located in that town. Anyway, horrible game. I wanted to go destroy the giant orange T I saw by the interstate near Knoxvegas. 🙂

On the bright side, if you ever find yourself in Johnson City or Bristol, eat at Cootie Brown’s. Funny name, amazing food (I just gave them a tag line for free!).

13. Realme
    10:50 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I would go to that game just because Josh asked, but alas, I have to go to a wedding.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Ugh, football season weddings…

14. Rod Crandler
    10:58 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Earlier in the season, Wilson was making some big running plays at critical points in the game. Wilson is not doing that any more.

• Realme
      11:06 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, that’s a key offensive difference. Do you think he’s too banged up, or discouraged from doing it?

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

It’ like a boxing match; you have a plan…and then you get hit!

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Dude seems to have lost his mojo. Early in the season he looked confident, almost cocky. Now he looks scared.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

rg, in boxing, don’t you just need to get pissed after you get hit so you can give it back?

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I think he just doesn’t like getting hit. He doesn’t even attempt to break tackles anymore, and just slides way short of the first down marker if it looks like he might get hit. Trying to recover from fumble-itis might play a role as well.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

RCF, nope; a mad boxer is a bad boxer.

15. Realme
    11:18 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Matt’s right about that Sandler special. The Farley tribute made me cry, and there was also a sweet tribute to his family at the end too.

16. Realme
    11:37 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’ll take any help we can get in the receiving core, but I don’t know if “I had to leave and go to Juco to get academically eligible, and now I’m coming back” warranted a big announcement. He acted on Twitter like it was a big first time around decision.

17. They are Freshmen
    11:47 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Nebraska has been putting up big numbers lately. Sure looks like an offense Wandale would rather play in.

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

And, did you see the oklahoma vs oklahoma state score, 48-47?

• J-Dub421
      11:59 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Nebraska is 3-7. Who cares if they put up big numbers when they lose?