KSR Show Thread 11/11: A Veterans Day edition

Welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio! In honor of Veterans Day, we’re asking men and women who have served our country to call in and give us your thoughts on the Cats. Matt will also share what he’s hearing about the Vanderbilt game this weekend and all of the COVID delays in the SEC.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

61 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/11: A Veterans Day edition

1. Realme
    10:10 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Do we have any vets here? If so, happy day and thank you for serving.

10:22 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

You’re welcome.

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Thanks to you and all the veterans for your service, rg. My favorite veteran headed to the great golf course in the sky exactly ten days and two years ago.

11:50 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yep, sorry for your loss; only two of us left off my 8 man team.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:18 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

So if Hinshaw steps in and crushes it this Saturday, does Gran become the Wally Pipp of UK football assistant coaches?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:28 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I think we have to be careful comparing Georgia and Vandy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t judge any OC based on what happened against a great defense like UGA. It’s more the body of work when it comes to Gran. And it would be unfair for us to think Hinshaw is the answer if he has success vs Vandy, but that’s what we fans do!

10:36 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t Florida light up Georgia for 44? Maybe not such a great defense.

• Realme
      10:36 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Hinshaw is the QB coach. Do we see qbs coming here and getting better? I guess I’m saying I don’t expect him to crush anything.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s also the Co-OC in addition to QB coach. But yeah, I don’t see anything getting crushed anytime soon.

10:44 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Seeing as how the prevailing opinion (which I believe is correct) is that Stoops keeps tight reins on the style of offense, I don’t expect to see too much difference, but what do I know?

10:46 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I think you’re on to something; the first step is realizing you have a problem!

11:01 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I still find it interesting that Eddie was running an air raid type offense at UC. That wasn’t the typical Tuberville style until he hired Neal Brown away from Troy and brought him to Texas Tech. I guess Senator Elect Tuberville knew he needed to do that in the Big 12 since everyone was airing it out over there, and continued it when he went to UC.

BTW, how crazy is it that we continue to try to claw our way up the SEC ladder and UC is (cough cough) top 10? I know, I know, they don’t play in the SEC, and that’s a more than valid point, but still…

11:05 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I forgot to add that of course he followed the pirate at Tech, so he had to have an OC to run the talent that was already in house I suppose. I think Leach will be fine at State once he gets his style of players there.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I hope the Pirate does well at MSU. He is a fun addition to the coaching ranks.

11:34 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

His pressers are great when he gets kooky giving advice on wedding showers/receptions and all kinds of other off the subject stuff.

3. JTHinton
    10:19 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

If UK-Vandy goes on, surely our game gets flexed to a better tv/time slot.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:20 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m worried about how basketball is going to go with all the COVID stuff. And it’s going to suck even worse if we end up having as good a team as we think we will.

• Realme
      10:23 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yup. Not looking like we will get anything that feels like a real season.

10:23 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

It’s not looking good.

• JTHinton
      10:38 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

It’s looking bad; 2 weeks off for just one Covid case is ridiculous. Lots of false positives and how hard is it to isolate players/re-test and confirm that the rest are negative

10:42 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yep, saw Trevor Lawrence Saturday; and, he didn’t look sick. I think I saw S. Dakota had 50% positive, and Kansas is way up there, too. Kentucky’s is only 7%, right?

10:43 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I thought they’d be lining them all up for a shot now that Pfizer announced a vaccine a week after the election. πŸ˜‰

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

My kid is signed up for full travel AAU volleyball this year, and I can’t see any way in hell that we can have a normal season with the huge tournaments at convention centers. The season cranks up after the first of the year, so maybe (hopefully) things will settle down a little by then.

Of course, after Inauguration Day it will all go away, right? πŸ˜‰

11:41 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Touche!

5. Realme
    10:30 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I keep typing comments and hitting submit and they don’t go anywhere. ?

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, weird stuff going on. I didn’t click on one of the plane pictures on the captcha and it let me through anyway. I’m sure the red Corvette in one of the pictures would fly too.

• ClutchCargo
      2:26 pm November 11, 2020 Permalink

Me too. This is how it started when I couldn’t comment at all several months ago.

• ClutchCargo
      2:27 pm November 11, 2020 Permalink

Hey, I guess I’m good to go now.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:33 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I think Tony La Russa is a lawyer; aren’t they all pretty much the same?

7. ClutchCargo
    10:40 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Can anybody identify the bird in the KSBar office by sound? πŸ™‚

10:42 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Cardinal?

• Realme
      10:44 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like that broad breasted thrasher RCF mentioned the other day.

I am okay with bird songs, but didn’t hear this one. Probably just a house sparrow though.

10:45 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

You mean besides the cuckoo?

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s the same bird that was in the background of the Turtle’s campaign commercial when he was posting up some distorted out-of-context quote by McGrath.

11:03 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I still say it’s a cardinal just waiting to pounce on Matt.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

My daughter used to call sparrows “Home Depot birds” because they are always flying around inside of them. Those and starlings seem to be their mascot.

• Realme
      11:24 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I love it when they find and break into the bird seed! Wonder what they’d like to eat at KSBar. Not sure even they would eat beer cheese.
      I follow a subreddit called what’s this bird, and literally every day someone posts because they can’t figure out their rare bird that’s not in their books is a starling smh.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Hrmph, starlings – another imported invasive species…

• Realme
      11:29 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yes, and they’re total jerks. It’s all the fault of whatever idiot thought all the species mentioned in Shakespeare should be brought into Central Park.

11:35 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

It’s a RAAAAAAAAAAABID Louisville Cardinal folks!!! Haha.

8. JTHinton
    10:52 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Georgia β€” Mizzou is off … 4th sec game to be canceled

10:59 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Oh boy, ESPN gonna be showing classic field hockey games.

• JTHinton
      11:04 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

What i would give for UK-Vandy to be the cbs prime time game ?

11:02 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Or that mini-car racing they used to always show late at night after the 30 minute Sportscenter back in the 80s.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Are you talking about the sprint cars on dirt tracks?

11:35 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yep!

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

cg, you should go and watch a dirt track race sometime. It’s a spectacle – especially the fans. πŸ™‚

9. RealCatsFan
    11:06 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Matt would get a deferment for law school if he had grown up during the draft. If not, he would be on continual KP duty peeling potatoes.

But I guess that’s better than bone spurs. πŸ˜‰

11:12 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the Army had lawyers; but, now they have to take them into combat with them so they know what they can and can’t do. You know, we have never had an enemy that abided by the Geneva Convention.

• Realme
      11:19 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m trying to imagine him trying to survive boot camp, or to just stand there and not argue with a drill sgt. Climb onto a tank? Wear something besides a hoodie? Point a gun the right direction?

I mock, but I found teen missionary boot camp hard. Swing on a rope? Climb a tire mountain? SLEEP IN A TENT SURROUNDED BY SPIDERS?!?!?!!

11:25 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Rm, the problem in Nam were leeches, ornery little suckers. Had to burn them with cigarettes.

• Realme
      11:28 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I can’t even imagine.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

rg, I’m picturing the scene from “Stand By Me”…

11:36 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

Yeah I remember that scene; kind of made me homesick. NOT

11:37 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

RG, a man at church told me about having to do the honey-pot burning in Vietnam. Can you imagine Matt doing that? Heck, I can’t imagine ME doing that.

11:43 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

It happens, ha ha.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:20 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

The McCoys were whupped in that feud; old man McCoy lost 5 children in the feud; I think 3 sons at once. He died penniless, and Anse Hatfield was wealthy. I think all Hatfield lost in the feud was a brother, and an uncle. Of course one nephew was hanged…for something that he didn’t actually do.

11:40 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I saw a documentary once that talked about that feud. One historian talked about a reporter going to their area to interview the families years after the feud (I don’t remember how long after). One day the reporter wanted to get a photo of both families together, so they were about to take it, and he or she said “Wait a minute. Where are your guns?” So, they all had to go home and get their guns except for whoever may have still lived in the house where they were at the time. It shows you how much the media is into things that aren’t real or current. Heaven forbid that the pic look like the families no longer shoot each other!

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:39 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I wonder what Matt’s thoughts are on his “cousin” criticizing the Biden victory gatherings…

12. Realme
    11:40 am November 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t care what they do to the floor this year, but they have gone so many more years than normal without a real uniform redesign. Has to be pure stubbornness.