KSR Show Thread, 11/10: Alan Cutler Takeover

Matt Jones has the day off so Ryan Lemond dialed up his dear friend Alan Cutler to co-host today’s show. Cutler will join Ryan, Shannon The Dude and me to give his thoughts on UK football and basketball, as well as some stories from his new book, “Cut To The Chase.”

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 11/10: Alan Cutler Takeover

1. Realme
    10:02 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

>:(

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

HUH, I don’t read hieroglyphics.

• Realme
      10:15 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s my face when I learn we got Cutlered.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:25 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

He’s not as bad as all that IMO. Not the greatest, but as much as we give Matt grief, he’s a talented host (I know I’ve said that before), and the show is never as good without him there.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:10 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

I may have to sit this one out. Listening, that is.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Ugh, I didn’t want to tune in to hear Alan Cutler talking about his colonoscopy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Having an adolescent sense of humor and recent experience with this, I’ll admit I chuckled at that story. But I don’t think I’m up for two hours of him.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Without getting too graphic, what did he say? I’m late.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Mainly about having to take the prep-gagme-stuff and having to run like hell to the bathroom, only to have his kids laughing at him when he emerged.

And yeah Clutch, I will be right there with you on the 23rd. The prep is going to suck, but having to starve myself for the whole day prior might be worse.

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

He was just telling stories about the prep.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

That ain’t fun.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Congrats to Jeff Badet for signing with the Washington Aughts.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:32 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

BTW, Bama & Auburn should just go ahead play the Iron Bowl this weekend if Bama can’t go to LSU due to Covid. Auburn’s game is already postponed, and they flip flopped our games v. UGA & Mizzou due to Covid. Why not?

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Probably has to do with all of a sudden trying to prepare for a different opponent on short notice. They ain’t doing that to Bama. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Chris, here’s a British bluegrass group for you. They have an interesting name; in 1885 a man named John Lee went to the noose for killing his employer at her home. The drop failed three times, and the execution was called off. The drop was shown to work successfully if there was no weight on it. He was released in 1907. Another man, Joseph Samuel, was sentenced to hang for a brutal murder, and the drop failed three times; it was considered a sign from God, and he was pardoned.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:00 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Bama would have just as much time to prepare as Auburn, but I agree. They probably won’t do it.

Nice song RG! Disturbing story though. 🙂

6. runningunnin.454
    11:28 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Hey, didn’t know we had offensive coordinators.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

You mean coordinators who have BO or poor manners, or coordinators who actually know how to run an offense? 😉

8. RealCatsFan
    11:32 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Did Cutler even mention Tim Couch when talking about QB’s at UK? I would rank him at the top of the list, even though we didn’t win that much due to a crappy defense. Imagine Mumme’s offense combined with Stoops’ defense.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:41 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Show Thread? More like Slow Thread. 😛

10. Catman Dan
    11:41 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

454…Similar to Mumford & Sons, that’s definitely not bluegrass.
    So many good ones out there now, especially in the Jamgrass genre. Billy Strings, Infamous Stringdusters, Traveling McCourys are some of my favs….but try these 2 too:
    Kitchen Dwellers: https://youtu.be/sjN-K5VWNWY
    Cabinet: https://youtu.be/a2_nd5smgrs

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am November 10, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, I’ll have to listen to those today. Yeah, they definitely need a mandolin and a banjo. Bernie Leadon of the Eagles played the banjo; but I guess they weren’t bluegrass either, ha ha.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:42 pm November 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s the first time I’ve heard “Jamgrass”. I thought the term was “Newgrass”, at least that was the term I first heard back in the mid to late 90s or early 2000s (early aughts?) when I first discovered bands like Nickel Creek.

11. Catman Dan
    12:50 pm November 10, 2020 Permalink

Jamgrass is derived from the Jam Band scene…sort of like an old off-shoot of the Grateful Dead and hippie music. But really Newgrass/Jamgrass sort of the same. There are basically 2 circuits of bluegrass nationally. One is the traditional, old-time style closely aligned with Appalachia and gospel music. All those traditional songs stemming from Bill Monroe. But the new bluegrass is centered more out West, particularly Denver, Montana, Cali, etc…also maybe Asheville. But definitely with more experimental jams and longer songs. Old style songs are all same tempo and usually under 3-4 minutes. These bands push the envelope and can be plugged in. Once the festivals start again these (eg. Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Romp Fest in Owensboro) attract a younger, more party oriented, dope smoking (lol) audience versus the Baptist and Beer crowd at the festivals like Poppy Mountain and at the Horse Park.

12. Catman Dan
    1:02 pm November 10, 2020 Permalink

Actually Romp Fest covers both genres similar to DelFest. Another good KY example are the festivals at Terrapin Hill Farm in Harrodsburg which are definitely on the hippie side..lol…but still good bluegrass. Same with those in the winter at the big ski resorts.. Winter Wondergrass. Search for those on YouTube.
    Here a great Stringdusters from few years ago: https://youtu.be/epPvVxaG7LE
    Youtube is awesome.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:45 pm November 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, count me out of the dope AND the beer. I’m a teetotaler. But count me in for good music! This isn’t bluegrass, but you may like it since you seem to be into what I like to call “Old time music”. I put this video together with a CD I bought over 20 years ago: