KSR Show Thread 11/1: One day closer

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. We’re one step closer to Saturday’s huge Kentucky/Georgia game, so tune in for more Cats vs. Dawgs talk, plus the latest on Wandale Robinson’s decision.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 11/1: One day closer

1. Realme
    10:03 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

So. Day after tomorrow, Ky is playing to go to the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP.

!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Interesting to see Josh Allen on the ESPN Heisman Watch, one of only two defensive players. But defensive players do not win; hell, even Dick Butkus didn’t win it.
    Only (primarily) defensive player to win was Michigan’s Charles Woodson who beat out Peyton Manning; but, he also played WR and ran back kicks.
    Defensive players are the unsung heroes of the game; maybe it’s time to make history.

• Realme
      10:11 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just get him in the room! He deserves at least that, although I still hope Benny finds himself there. How do you pick between them? Leaning Josh today, but that can change from game to game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Yep, unreal, two UK players on the watch list…wow. Guess we’ll just have to win out and get them there.

• I hate that Benny has taken a step back in all that. The injuries on the OL at College Station didn’t help with that.

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Both Benny and Josh deserve to be in the conversation.

3. Realme
    10:13 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m not nervous about this game. Feels like it’s meant to be.

I’m sure I will be on Saturday though.

4. I care nothing for Matt’s politics, but that “Sexy Mitch McConnell” thing was funny…and disturbing at the same time. 🙂

BTW, I’m also not a Mitch fan, but for different reasons than Matt. He’s not conservative enough for me.

• I have to ask: Matt said “I’ll see you in 2 years” in that Mitch sketch. Do you all think he’s running, or did he just throw that in to troll us? Regardless of his politics, I don’t want this show to go away.

10:21 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Just the thought of Matt making those kinds of decisions scares me.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Unfortunately, Mr. Chairman; I have to leave these proceedings to preside over my UK Sports Radio Show.

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Just remember, Mitch McConnell is coming for Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. He said so himself.

• Broadcast from his senate chair while also on C-Span. Mr. C-Span on C-Span. lol

10:43 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I don’t like Mitch McConnell and never have, he’s a perfect example of why there should be term limits.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:44 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Matt’s taste in music alone should disqualify him from ever running above city council.

5. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:22 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Kenny Rogers!

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Has he never heard that song? Sheesh, what a child.

10:27 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

A little off the path, but I would bet runnin’ knows who wrote “Never Been To Spain” and ” Joy To The World” (Three Dog Night).

10:30 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

He also wrote “The Pusher” by Steppenwolf.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Yep Hoyt Axton; he also wrote Steppenwolf’s “The Pusher”. Bet they won’t play that one on the radio show. Hah.

• I don’t know the writers but I definitely remember the latter song.

• I read that at the moment right after the Beatles broke up that TDN was the biggest group in the world.

10:36 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I knew I could count on you runnin’

10:39 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Three Dog Night was the second concert I ever saw, at the KY State Fairgrounds on the baseball field on home plate. The Monkees was the first concert I saw.

• Country Hoyt wrote those? I had no idea.

10:40 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Yep, I found that out years ago and couldn’t believe it either.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I know you know where TDN got their name, so I won’t insult you. My Grandmother used that expression all the time.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Lol, the first concert I ever went to was New Kids on the Block.

10:45 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Yes I do, a three dog night is when temps drop below freezing, it takes three dogs to keep warm.

10:46 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Thanks J-Dub for making me feel like your grandfather. Lol!

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

If it makes you feel better I’ve also seen: The Monkees (2X), Journey, Heart, Hall & Oats, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Jonny Lang (2X), Def Leopard, Styx, Foreigner, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and saw Elton John last week at the YUM Center.

Of course, I’ve also seen Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, and Lady Gaga (3X).

10:52 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Wikipedia gives a better explanation: The Three Dog Night Story, 1964–1975 states that vocalist Danny Hutton’s girlfriend, actress June Fairchild (best known as the “Ajax Lady” from the Cheech and Chong movie Up In Smoke) suggested the name after reading a magazine article about indigenous Australians, in which it was explained that on cold nights they would customarily sleep in a hole in the ground while embracing a dingo, a native species of feral dog. On colder nights they would sleep with two dogs and, if the night were freezing, it was a “three dog night”.[3]

10:54 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I’ve seen all those except for Def Leopard, Styx, Foreigner, feel a little better but still feeling old.

10:55 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Also never saw Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, and Lady Gaga, I would love to see Bruno for sure.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Yep, Iam, when it was cold they would put a dog in bed with them. If it became even colder, they would have two dogs; the coldest night of all was a..TDN.
      Wonder if Matt knows that Conway Twitty was a rocker before he went country. His “Lonely Blue Boy” was a top ten hit, and Elvis sang that song as “Danny” in the movie “King Creole”.

10:58 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Matt obviously does not know that “Third Rate Romance” was done originally by The Amazing Rhythm Aces, NOT Sammy Kershaw!

11:00 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t know that about Conway, but my favorite song of his is “That’s My Job”, I made that my ringtone for my father. Do I need to turn in my man card?

• I saw Styx around 1995 or 1996, not long before they threw Dennis Deyoung out of the band. lol

Pat Benatar opened for them at an outdoor Amphitheater in Atlanta. A great concert!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I have tried to tell this story several times, and it’s alway moderated; mod bot evidently doesn’t like the guy’s name. So I’ll just say he did “Why Me Lord” and “Bobby McGee”.
      When I was in Birmingham, students could get in free if we showed up early to set up chairs, and I went to his concert.
      He was drinking from the bottle, came over to me, and said, “Do you want a snort”. So he and I shared the bottle, and chatted about Golden Gloves boxing.

11:34 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

His initials are C.C.

11:45 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Back in the 80’s I was working as a photographer for some state representatives who presented Willie with a KY Colonel certificate and Willie asked me to stay and party with him. I said I couldn’t since I was working. Just think, I could’ve wound up on the roof of the White House…

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha ha, that would definitely be “One Toke Over The Line”.

11:51 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Just realized his initials are K.K. Not sure what I was thinking.

• runningunnin.454
      11:56 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Yep, I just thought you were avoiding the negativity of those initials.

• Calfan
      12:01 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

I would have it he had a third K in his name. BTW, did you see some of the posts on Rex and the German memorabilia?

12:03 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

I agree with calfan, I saw those comments and decided to steer clear.

6. Duuuuuude
    10:27 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

As for Benny’s “set back” lately, it seems to me to be a combination of two things. First, the offensive line does not seem to get the push they had earlier in the season and second it seems like Benny is not as patient hitting the holes as he was earlier. Not sure how much to blame on what but that is my observation. It used to seem like Benny would wait and wait and wait and then hit the hole. Early in the season last year his production was low because he was not patient.

7. Realme
    10:35 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I’m glad we don’t have to wait for a night game this week. Waiting for game time would be torture.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

And we get basketball tomorrow!

• Realme
      10:44 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Basketball… That sounds vaguely familiar.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Feels like waiting for Christmas! Hoping we don’t end up with a lump of coal in our stockings, though. lol

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I could never forget about Basketball. I am hyped for the Duke game Tuesday.

• Realme
      10:47 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I will be on Tuesday, but I am so hyped for Saturday I don’t think about bball as much as I would normally.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Our basketball team is super pretty again, especially Reid and Tyler.

• Realme
      10:59 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Another good omen for them to be like the 2014-2015 team!

• Realme
      11:00 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Same, Chris.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Real, I still prefer the games under the lights, and the anticipation that comes with the waiting.
      And, thanks J-D, I had completely forgotten about tomorrow night..what a time this is.

11:06 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

The BB game is at 7 I believe.

• Realme
      11:09 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

I can stand to wait for that one.

• Having that game under the lights would be great. It makes for a very late post game show though. I probably wouldn’t stay up if we lose, but WHEN we win…oh yeah!!!

• I just watched the Lynn Bowden punt return for the TD again, but the ESPN angle for the first time. He did get some good blocking, but mostly it just looked like him dusting and blowing by the guys in black!

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

Bowden is an exciting player. He’s got that Randall Cobb quality that makes it seem like he can score anytime he touches the ball.

11:23 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

LB has elite speed, he definitely needs more touches.

8. J-Dub421
    11:31 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

That was a very nice gesture from the Lou City FC dude. I have friends who have season tickets to Lou City FC and love it. I just can’t get into soccer though. I’ve tried repeatedly.

9. J-Dub421
    11:41 am November 1, 2018 Permalink

A dude proposing after you haven’t seen or talked to each other for a year? Weird and creepy.