KSR Show Thread 10/29: Bring on Georgia

© Denny Medley | USATSI

© Denny Medley | USATSI

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s wild walk-off win at Missouri and preview Saturday’s showdown with Georgia for the SEC East. This is going to be a huge week in the Bluegrass, so start it off right.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

85 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/29: Bring on Georgia

1. Booby Petrino
    9:58 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I love that pic. It’s now one of my favorites! Bowden showed out on Saturday!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:04 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I saw that pic when it was first posted and I agree it’s my favorite. I’ve been dying to see more of Bowden the whole season and boy did he put on a show. I love watching him run, he’s a threat every time he touches the ball.

10:08 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

He seems to have been the forgotten guy this season, crazy as it seems, after they made a concerted effort to maximize his touches last year. It defies logic as to why he and CJ Conrad haven’t been utilized more.

• Realme
      10:11 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

My favorite is head on of CJ scoring. Lighting’s all eerie, it’s awesome but now I can’t find it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Yep, Bowden sent in to return the punt blew Missouri’s mind; they were accustomed to our running away from the punt, and letting in roll inside the 10.
      They still don’t believe we threw the ball from the two. Ha ha.

• Booby Petrino
      10:20 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

What made that punt return even more impressive is the fact that he had to backtrack like 10 yards to catch the ball…then he charged all the way down the field.

• Booby Petrino
      10:22 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I haven’t seen that pic, Real. I’d love to see it!

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Food for thought: Gronk only averages about 8 targets per game and he is the best tight end in the history of ever. Tight ends are predominantly used for blocking now-a-days.

• Jordan in that pic is just like “Yeah, another day at the office. Yawn.” 🙂

It belies the rep he has of being insane on the field.

• Realme
      10:31 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Found it. Top right in this guy’s tweet:

• Booby Petrino
      10:32 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

awesome pic, Real!

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Jordan Jones has been a model citizen this year. He made some huge plays Saturday.

• Realme
      10:35 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I’m proud of Jordan, but I miss his more moderate craziness.

2. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Is it odd to watch the Missouri game again, and fast-forward to the 6 minute mark of the 4th quarter?

10:04 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Not at all. I have done the same thing more than once with this one. Or maybe we’re both odd.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:05 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

If it is, color me odd, because I’ve done it 6 or 7 times.

• Realme
      10:06 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I only re-watched that part twice.

10:09 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Twice for me, but I’m sure I’ll see it a few more times before Saturday.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:10 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Nope.

I dragged in from the hospital Sun AM, 0730 and woke my initially unenthusiastic wife to show her the final 5:35. After seeing Bowden run back for six…she sat up and is now a believer.

• Realme
      10:14 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

In that six minutes, they got a freakin interception. Other bad things happened. How the heck did we win. Huge for the offense if they just move forward on that momentum.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:21 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Interception, run-back for TD, 2 big sacks, an epic drive over about 1:30, pass-interference and a pass play for the win… when all the talking heads are calling for Benny.

Craziness!

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Nope! I did the same, at the request of my wife and daughters.

3. Realme
    10:09 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

So many thoughts, where do you even start?

Was that Ahmad Wagner’s first play of the season, or had he been in and not targeted?

How many times have we officially been in the game that decides the East?

WHAT!? Did you guys see that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:11 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

We’ve probably been in several games that decide the East. Not for us to win it, but for our opponent to win it by beating us. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      10:14 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Nice!

At 7-1 that truth doesn’t sting like it might’ve in years past.

10:15 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t even realize that was Wagner when the play happened; I realized it on the replay. I really like how he battled for that catch. Good luck stopping him in goal line situations when we can just throw it up and let him go get it.

4. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:11 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

It’s time to review the KSR staff predictions again…. https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/ksrs-2018-football-season-predictions/

• CATandMONKEY
      10:16 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Looks like Pilgrim is the most prescient of the bunch.

5. Realme
    10:16 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

So, when they threw it at the end in A&M and it didn’t work, they were called every kind of stupid. When they throw at the end of this game and it works… Genius.

• cats646
      10:22 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

“If it worked you would’ve liked it” ha!

• In all seriousness though, Terry was throwing the ball well on that drive (taking the 2 sacks not withstanding). He was awful the entire game at A&M, so I don’t think these 2 situations necessarily parallel. However, to be fair, if he had overthrown CJ, yeah, most of BBN would have been howling, including me probably.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

And thus is this thing that we call coaching. At every level, in every sport, there is someone who thinks you suck and someone else who thinks you are a genius. It often switches back and forth for the same individuals.

10:54 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

This situation was different for me. Benny was effective the few times he got the ball against A&M. The Mizzou game was just not his day, and they were making sure of that. I was honestly very happy to see the pass play called at the end of this one.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, Terry was playing much better against Mizzou as well. He was basically out of it against TAMU.

• mashburnfan1
      11:49 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Benny averaged over 4 yards per carry vs A7M and our Oline was able to block A&M. Totally different vs Mizzou for whatever reason. Also the passing play called was totally different, did not drop Terry back 10-12 yards, was a quick get the snap and throw. Totally different games and situations based on how the 2 games went. Nothing to do with make or not make. Just like this game and Stoops going for it on 4th down 3 times, all great calls even though none made it. The call to go for it was right, the play calls were not.

6. Realme
    10:17 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Poll: Where were you and how did you feel on that last drive?

Me: standing a foot from the tv, trying not to throw up.

• Eating at Cracker Barrel with the fam & some friends and listening on my phone. Tom & Jeff are great. I recorded the game but haven’t watched the last 6 minutes yet. I caught the highlights on KSR.

• Oh, and I held my hands up referee style to signal the TD!

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Funny how Tom didn’t say anything, & Jeff whispered, “Touchdown, Kentucky”. Then Tom does his thing with “TOUCHDOWN, KENTUCKY”. Then he says, “I was waiting for the signal”.
      Jeff says, “I didn’t need a signal”. That was classic.

10:28 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

When the drive started, I had given up all hope, but I never turn it off until it’s over. With no time on the clock, ball at the 2 yard line… Standing several feet away from the TV, behind the couch, telling my wife “I can’t watch this” while peeking through my fingers because of course I had to watch.

• Booby Petrino
      10:28 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I was in TN and the only Cats fan in the house. I was watching it on the 1st floor, everyone else was in the basement doing whatever. I was standing in front of the tv watching it, and when he caught it I started yelling “WE WON! WE WONNNN!!!!!!!” Everyone from the basement ran up to see what the yelling was about 🙂

• J-Dub421
      10:31 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

After Bowden ran back the punt to put us within reach, I just knew we were going to win. I just “felt” it. Our defense was great (especially in the second half), and I knew they’d get us the ball back and we’d have a chance. They did, and there was a minute and a half to go, and I thought, “That’s plenty of time. Let’s do this Cats!” Then we marched down field and scored. It felt fated. This is our year, and good things will happen.

• You know why I think Tom did that. Last year I was in my car at the end of the Ole Miss game, and at least once, maybe twice, he reacted before seeing the call from the ref. Once he yelled “Intercepted!” (by UK) when OM threw the ball into the end zone. And Jeff in a low tone says “He caught it. It’s a touchdown.” I think there was 1 other play right before that where something similar happened. I’m not criticizing Tom, but I think he wanted to see the signal (and maybe make sure there wasn’t going to be a flag because of CJ’s…ummm…jostling for position).

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Missouri fans don’t know the game. It was within 5 yards of the line, and the ball was not in the air…great play (and Legal) by CJ.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

What did CJ do that was controversial?

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Missouri fans say he pushed off. But that’s allowed inside of 5 yds, and the ball’s not in the air.

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

CJ did nothing controversial. Mizzou fans are just whiners and sore losers.

7. “Cat-n-Dawg fight in Lexington, KAY-WI!!!” (pronounced like the late great Joe Dean, Sr.)

How do you phonetically spell the letter “y”?

8. TWhite
    10:27 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Ok so seeking advice. Come to Lexington once a year and buy tickets on the street before the game. With a game like this, should I go ahead and get tickets on ticketmaster?

• Realme
      10:33 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know, but I hope your budget is roomy. 🙂

10:34 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

If you only need a couple of tickets, I would wait and buy them on the street, but that’s just me. You are guaranteed to get tickets but also get screwed on Ticketmaster. Lots of people put their tickets on there with no intention of selling unless someone will pay their ridiculous price.

• TWhite
      10:36 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

well you can get them right now at Ticketmaster for about 175 a piece with the fees. I have a feeling you won’t see one on the street under $200.

• Realme
      10:37 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

That sounds reasonable.

10:41 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

It depends on how close to game time you are willing to wait, and if the scalpers believe you won’t go any higher than what you are offering.

9. J-Dub421
    10:28 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Soooo….. Terry Wilson is our QB. That debate has now been settled.

• cats646
      10:31 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either ignorant or 3 years old.

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Or Combat Medic, but then you did say ignorant…

• Booby Petrino
      10:35 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely, J-Dub. He’s the best option we have and I’m thankful we have him. Haters, that doesn’t mean we think he’s the best QB in the league, but the best on our team. I think the players love having him out there too, more so than Hoak.

10:36 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Or goes by several handles on here and loves to troll.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I agree – but I still would not be surprised to see Stoops mix Gunnar in occasionally. I think it actually benefits Terry – gives him a chance to catch his breath and watch the opponent’s defense from the sideline and maybe analyze things. I also think it takes some pressure off of Terry. And I also think the offense should play at a faster pace. Terry seemed so smooth and confident on that last drive when they had to play hurry-up. I think he has been over-analyzing things, and he does better when he just uses his instincts.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I would also like to see Terry break out a few of those “Lamar-esque” runs against UGA like he had earlier in the year. I really think that helps his passing in that defenses have to hold back a little and respect his running ability. Pull the ball back from Benny a time or two and go to the outside and use his speed.

• Realme
      11:29 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Agree on all points, RCF.

10. DrSayre
    10:34 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I really hope we get a call from Chester. I listened to the entire post game call in show hoping he would call in (even though he usually doesnt)

11. J-Dub421
    10:46 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Who are all there schmucks that quit on our team in a close game and turned the TV off?

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Play until the clock reads 0:00…and keep playing ha ha ha.

10:50 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

It boggles my mind that someone could call themself a fan of a team, yet still do that. Especially when there is a lot to play for still. I would disagree with doing that even, say Joker’s last season when there is no hope in sight, but at least it would be a tiny bit understandable.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Kentucky football should adopt KSR’s slogan, they’re winning in the most ridiculous manner possible.

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t do anything like that, but I would be lying if I didn’t think (and say) “we’re done” at several points in that second half.

• mashburnfan1
      11:54 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Clutch and Dub…..no different at the games. Several people leave at half and lots more at start of 4th quarter, NO MATTER WHAT THE SCORE IS. If it is a 10 point or more game either way it is a mass exit.

12. J-Dub421
    10:57 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Ohio State moving up three spots on a bye week after getting waxed by Purdue is a joke.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I hope OSU wins out (except if they play us in a bowl game), or else they may come calling for Stoops at the end of the year.

13. Wade
    11:25 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Time to let loose . Gran ,throw the playbook out and just call a good game. Have confidence. We got some guys that can ball but you gotta get it to em’. Benny still needs 20 carry’s imo. And terry needs to just get what he can with his legs to extend drives but keep his eyes down field. Protect the ball have fun and remember our d is better than bamas!

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely; with our big play guys, there’s no way they should be able to stack the box. Run the two minute drill the whole game; don’t have to throw it 30 yards, just 12-15 yds across the middle, and loosen it up.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Mr. Fromm, allow me to introduce Mr. Allen; I know the two of you will become really close.

11:31 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I sure hope Allen gives Fromm a big hug every chance he gets!

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Do you think SEC QB’s have nightmares about 41’s chasing them?

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Yes, I do. Reminds me of Art Still…they wouldn’t even run a play to his side of the field. Of course, he was a DE.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Wish there was a way to issue an IQ test before people are allowed to breed.

11:35 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Not sure if IQ has a lot to do with being qualified, but the people who have the least business breeding are the ones doing the vast majority of it these days.

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know how to implement this, but I firmly believe you should have to have a license to have kids.

16. Realme
    11:44 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Terrible news for the mojo.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Huh?

• Realme
      11:50 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

Matt not going to Bristol.

11:53 am October 29, 2018 Permalink

What is the terrible news?

11:53 am October 29, 2018 Permalink