KSR Show Thread 10/27: Turn on the show!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will cover a myriad of topics, including Kentucky’s newest basketball commitment Bryce Hopkins, a quarterback battle in practice, and Ohio County. Also, a house for sale in Louisville you have to see to believe.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/27: Turn on the show!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Woke up this a.m. with the riff of this song in my brain, even tho’ I haven’t heard it in decades; brain works funny huh?
    It is an early heavy metal precursor. Story I heard was the organist/lead singer wrote the song while consuming a whole gallon of wine; the drummer was writing down the lyrics, but the guy was slurring his words so bad the original lyric “in the garden of eden” was interpreted as, well, something else.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Cal is a liar, liar, pants on fire.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know about that; but, the new basketball recruit from Chicago…Thanks, Mack!

10:17 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I think he gets a kick out of how much of a whopper he can say and get away with it. He’s such a goofy dad.

11:08 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Cal should have just embraced it and took it as a joke – basically laughed at it. Denying that he saw it just gives it legs.

3. Realme
    10:18 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Whoever looks up this crazy house first, post a link.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like it has a poltergeist.

10:21 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

10:21 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Okay thanks.

10:26 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

They should call the realtor and talk to them. 🙂

10:28 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

No kidding. It’s one thing for it to be an unusual structure since it used to be a church building/day care, but holy cow, zero effort to clean up! I guess if a buyer is willing to do some heavy lifting they can get it for a good price. I didn’t even look to see it an asking price is listed.

10:30 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

OUCH! $375,000. I would talk them down at least the amount of money it would cost me to call in 1-800-GOT-JUNK to clean up that dump!

It has a lot of possibilities though for someone who either knows how to do more than me (like RCF) or who can afford to hire contractors to renovate. Or leave it as is (except the trash) and start a congregation. Haha.

10:31 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

This time last year I was in the middle of getting my parents’ house ready for sale. They were far from slobs, but even then liquidating 55 years’ worth of “stuff” is a huge undertaking. I could not imagine clearing out a place like that. Just rent a dumpster, get a firehose, and be done with it.

When I was looking for my first house I came across a really neat property in Louisville’s Highlands area that was very close to Cherokee Park – a highly sought after location. The house had been owned by a widowed doctor who was a complete hoarder. The place was packed full of newspapers and magazines and other junk. I saw dead rats in the basement. It was pretty scary. I looked at it in the morning, and went to get my dad and a friend of the family who was a remodeler to look at it with me. When we got back, there were contractor’s trucks lining the street, and they already had bids in excess of 20K of the asking price. To say the least, that put it out of reach for me, and my dream of that fixer-upper in an awesome part of town went “poof”.

10:34 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

cg, I saw the same attitude when I was looking for a car for my daughter. When I go to sell something, I usually make an effort to clean it up and present it in the best way possible, but we saw cars that still had empty cups and fast food bags in the interior and all kinds of crap in the trunk. And they were still asking full price for them! Probably over 50% of them were rebuilt titles.

10:36 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

The picture of the two dudes together would have been even better if one of them was holding the cat.

10:42 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I see some code violations in the furnace room right off the bat with the wire nuts not inside an electrical box.

That pillow in the bed is SCARY! Place looks like it needs to be shrink wrapped and fumigated.

10:50 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Well hell, my day is shot now! I’m halfway through the basement. Looks like he had a full tilt shipping dept down there. The yard sale is going to be epic – half of South Louisville is going to be there.

10:52 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m dying to look, but would end up getting no work done, so I’ll wait to do it tonight when I’m supposed to be working out instead. 🙂

10:56 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I clicked on the Twitter link but didn’t see the cat pic.

10:59 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Never mind, I just saw it, along with a bunch of other pics that apparently didn’t make it onto the real estate listing.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:09 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I like the call the realtor live on air idea. Someone should tweet that to the guys. Not sure they watch the show thread.

11:12 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I just sent that to the texting machine. We’ll see if they reply.

11:38 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I have a Ryobi battery skill saw just like the one in the basement. The basement really isn’t all that disorganized – it is obvious that someone was running an eBay business.

My guess is that someone passed away suddenly or had a major health crisis, and they are just trying to sell the place quickly. Very possibly a sad story behind it all.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:19 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Random football thought: local guys (the show co-hosted by Barry McKnight, Troy play by play guy who was on the Kentucky airwaves last year talking about Sawyer) yesterday were talking about Saban. Specifically, Saban said that he fought the whole wide open offensive philosophy for a good while but then realized finally he couldn’t do that any more. Then he started bringing in guys like Kiffin and Sarkisian. Take that for what it’s worth, but what does that say about Stoops’ conservative offensive philosophy?

On the one hand, he’s earned praise for building a big, tough, physical team rather than trying to do it with an Air Raid. Matt has said he thought UK HAD to run something gimmicky to compete in the SEC & he didn’t think anyone could do what Stoops has. However, there is no or little balance, even though Gran ran (heehee) a wide open offense at Cincinnati.

Thoughts?

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

1. He is hard headed
      2.He opened last game with 3 pass plays
      3.He wanted to show that air raid wouldn’t work
      4. He did No. 3 very very very very well, Hah haw.

10:33 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I forgot to add, I remember when Marcus Spears (who played at LSU of course) was critical of Les Miles for not updating his offense, and comparing him to Saban who changed with the times. He was no Miles fan because of that.

10:36 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

And you don’t have to run the Air Raid. Just have a QB who can throw and run a balanced offense. I didn’t want 2018 to be an aberration, but it looks like it was. He has a mini-Benny but he isn’t feeding him. If he wants to win with the ground and pound, you can’t do it with a finesse RB like Rose for what seems like 80% of the game with Chris stands there with helmet in hand.

10:36 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

While he stands there…

10:38 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I mean, they probably thought they had a qb who could throw and run a balanced offense. It just doesn’t work.

10:44 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

You can have a great QB who can thread the needle, but if your receivers can’t get open you better have a good run game to fall back on, or a QB with wheels like Lamar.

• JTHinton
      10:48 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Make no mistake — we got too cute on Saturday. We thought we would roll Mizzou so we decided to show off our passing game. You can’t take ANY SEC game for granted (look at Arkansas this year!) or you’ll get embarrassed.

I always say that in the SEC, you’re either improving or declining. No stagnation; no perennial 9 win Iowa in the SEC. Sure seems like other teams are taking steps forward this season whereas we are taking them backwards!

10:48 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

That may be, and he played pretty well against UT, but then look at what happened Saturday.

Anyway, I have never been a fan of the whole “He’s the only QB to beat this team and that team” thing. This isn’t just about Terry. He seems to be a nice guy and I like him. But football isn’t baseball. It’s much more team oriented IMO, and although the QB is the most important guy on the field, he isn’t on the same level of importance as a pitcher in baseball IMO. That’s my 2 cents, and that’s what about what it’s worth as I always say.

10:51 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Totally agree Chris, he gets way too much credit for wins, and takes too much blame for losses. We had that 2018 season because of Benny and Josh.

• JTHinton
      10:54 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

If you go back and look at the 2018 season, terry had a TON of clunkers. Central Michigan in the opener; Texas A&M on big ESPN was a disaster; we barely beat an awful Vanderbilt team, and we only won B/c Snell willed us to victory after the defense held strong; Tennessee was a meltdown; we looked terrible vs MTSU. MSST was a domination that only happened b/c of Snell. Terry played well at Florida, 2-win Louisville, and the Citrus Bowl. That was pretty much it.

11:01 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

JT, don’t forget how shell shocked State’s O line was because of Josh.

11:02 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Precisely. You have a great memory. It’s all a blur to me.

11:06 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

They had a bunch of false starts, and they got away with a TON of holds on Josh. That was the case all year though. It was obvious that O lines had decided “They can’t call them all!”

5. JTHinton
    10:43 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Morehead, Detroit-Mercy, Richmond, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, UCLA, Louisville, Texas

That’s a pretty solid non-conference slate, if we’re being honest. Of course, everyone wants the Indiana series back on (neutral site is fair) but I don’t think it’s coming until Cal leaves. Home Rupp schedule isn’t great, but it doesn’t need to be great this year if we only get 15% capacity.

• JTHinton
      10:45 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Richmond is probably a tourney team. Texas and UCLA were on the Bubble last year; ND and GT are much improved as well. Louisville and Kansas are obvious top 10-15 teams as well.

10:45 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I actually think almost everybody doesn’t care about the Indiana series.

6. Realme
    10:43 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Matt thinks he can run 17 mph. Okay. Sure buddy.

• JTHinton
      10:46 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

He loves to come up with all these elaborate challenges for others (Putt for prison, 50mi walk, outrun a former CFB player) but won’t even make the effort to get himself a Kroger card!

10:48 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

He’d fall off the treadmill at 10 mph.

11:05 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Haha. He’d go down like Daniel Jones at half that.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

It’s amazing to hear all the whining from the elite when their ticket gravy train is taken away. I’m playing a tiny little violin for them. 😉

10:54 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I would go to football if tickets fell into my lap, but inside Rupp.. idk. Oh! I took pictures of the construction. I still maintain that the civic center, food court level doesn’t matter, they just need to have the inside of the arena and some ways in and out open on time. Link in a minute.

10:56 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Sorry you’ll have to scroll past some bird stuff, I put them up and then went birding the next day.

11:14 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Realme, is that 4th picture down a shot of Loch Ness? 😉

We need to pool our resources and buy you a nice zoom lens. 🙂

11:23 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

😆 I have these stupid camera binoculars, but yes it would be nice to go out with a real camera some time. Wouldn’t know what to buy or how to use it though. It’s really just a photo list for my enjoyment, I don’t have any followers or anything. BTW it’s cormorant. They swim around with their body under water.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Now we know how they faked that picture of Nessie.

11:25 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Currently trying to find the right camera to take pictures of my bird feeders when I’m gone so I can see if anything cool stops by.

11:30 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

You can buy a pretty decent digital camera these days with a very powerful zoom lens for a couple hundred. No need really to pop for the DSLR.

For the bird feeder, I would just search on Google – surely someone has done the same with a trail cam or something similar.

11:33 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Probably gonna have to mount something on a post. Putting a small one in my window didn’t work, and the only tree to hang a trail cam would take pictures of everyone going by on the sidewalk.

11:40 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Perhaps Realme can identify the birds that are chirping in the background of The Turtle’s Amy McGrath attack ad that has the crappy audio that is probably taken way out of context. 😉

11:44 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Mount one on top the feeder. Close-ups! 🙂

8. Laker Cat 18
    11:13 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Lane Kiffin getting fined $25,000 for retweeting a critique of the SEC officials is the ultimate 2020 smack to the face.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:15 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t really know anything about tractors either, but there are people who restore them. And just like cars, you can buy the original paint that your tractor was painted with (at least some models…I know someone who restored one for display on his property…a former boss of mine).

11:20 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Like musclecars, the tractor guys have the bunch that try to restore them down to the last nut and bolt to be factory fresh, and then you have the hot rod guys who build the “FrenkenTractors” that they do the pulls with.

11:22 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

And it’s generally the guys who crew up on farms and on rural areas that are into them…

11:24 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

I was watching an interesting TV show the other day that was talking about the newer tractors with GPS and computers and all the fancy electronics. For years, the guys who ran small farms did all or most of their own repairs and maintenance on the equipment. If you were a farmer, you were a jack of all trades. You knew basic mechanics, you knew how to weld, etc… Now these guys are finding that when their tractor breaks down they have to send it to the dealer for repair, which results in a lot of expense and downtime. Some things were just meant to stay simple.

11:25 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Dammit! “grew up”, “FrAnkenTractor”… they need an edit button on this site for those of us with fat fingers.

11:31 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

RCF, a fairly young guy we’ve met who has his own AC business told me he’s always been good at repairing things, but he has a newer truck and he doesn’t bother because there’s so much a shade tree mechanic just can’t do with newer vehicles.

11:42 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Yep! Especially the new stuff. But you would be surprised how much of an aftermarket there now is for modifying the onboard computers for cars. I am trying to add cruise control to my daughter’s car, and I am researching how I can reprogram the ECM to get it working.

10. Realme
    11:36 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Noon! Dang it I thought I read the game was at 7. I guess I can throw candy at trick or treaters from 6 feet away after all.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:42 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

GO RAYS!!! Reds fans my age still hate the Dodgers. Also, Montgomery is home of the Rays AA team, and several of their guys played here.

12. UKFanSC
    11:43 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Go Rays !

13. Realme
    11:50 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Joey because he is running stronger, and he and Terry have the same crappy receivers so that doesn’t matter.

12:01 pm October 27, 2020 Permalink

Agree – I like Terry and I love his grit in battling back from a tough injury, but this is SEC Football – you have to put the best on the field.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:59 am October 27, 2020 Permalink

Matt has a candle that smells like fresh cut grass? I love that smell in the summer.