KSR Show Thread 10/26: Let’s talk about it

Jay Biggerstaff | USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will break down Kentucky’s depressing loss at Missouri and what it means for the rest of the season. Plus, other random stuff.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

96 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/26: Let’s talk about it

1. Laker Cat 18
    9:57 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Back to the crapper.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:04 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Our offense looked like horse-piss. Can I say that on the show thread?

10:10 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Looks like you can. I think that was partially about Schlarman, and also about how our coaches are trying so hard to prove we are balanced offensively instead of accepting that we’re not.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:13 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Our offensive line scored 4th in the weeks PFF college football rankings. That’s insane.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:16 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

It sounds like Schlarman needs prayers badly.

10:20 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Yes, I’m really worried about him. I think there’s an inevitable outcome and maybe this weekend his guys realized that when he couldn’t be there. I desperately hope and pray I’m wrong, but googling the survival rate for his illness on Saturday didn’t help.

10:24 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I did the same thing, Realme. As upset as we all are about the game, this goes way beyond sports. Praying that he finds a miracle cure.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

My wife is a cancer nurse, so I already knew (I had told her what he has). However, isn’t he going to Houston for some of his treatments? If so, that’s got to mean MD Anderson, and they have done some amazing things with some experimental treatments (I know someone who goes there…UAB had told him to get his affairs in order, and he’s still with us many years later), so prayers that this is the case for John.

10:34 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s hard to be too mad or sad about football when someone is going through what he is going through. Prayers for Schlarman, for sure.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Yeah I would take a winless season to have Coach Schlarman healthy. Prayers to Coach…

10:38 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

cg, my sister is another success story from MD Anderson. She had an aggressive uterine cancer, and her doctor here basically told her she had about nine months. All of his other patients who had this stuff had passed away. We took her to M.D. Anderson after reading about a clinical trial they were conducting with a different chemo / radiation regimen. After visiting them, we managed to convince our local doctor to follow the same regimen they were using down there. It was a pretty brutal treatment, but 16 years later she is still with us and cancer-free.

If you are ever diagnosed with something life threatening like this, it is worth it to seek out the latest treatments and clinical trials to try to give yourself an edge. You may have to travel outside your local medical community to find it. Search out the national centers (usually teaching hospitals) that are on the leading edge of treating that type of illness – they are likely to see more of the rare and more serious cases. It can make the difference between living and dying.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

My friend has a rare form of blood cancer (I don’t remember the name), and as I understand it, it basically turns your blood into jelly. He told me the number of people that have it, and it’s very low and very rare.

11:24 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

cg, praying that your friend finds a way to beat back the Beast.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Prayers for Coach Schlarman; bile duct cancer has no early signs or symptoms…terrible and insidious. I fear news in the coming days will not be good. The situation is probably worse than we know.
      I was pretty tough on the team during the game; but, we probably need to give them a break on this one considering they probably know more about Coach S than we do.
      It was obvious they were distracted, and not into the game.

2. Realme
    10:11 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Dump the current receivers, put in all the freshmen, and let Terry throw it downfield but not sideways.

10:14 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

And feed Crod obviously. (one of my Twitter people spells it like that, with no dash and I think I like it.)

10:19 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Ha! I couldn’t stop thinking “Crod?” to read the rest of that sentence.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:15 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

After the UT game I told someone “Not the same old Mildcats baby!” Haha. Joke’s on me.

10:18 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Just like with basketball, I am finished buying into the preseason KSR hype fest. No expectations, just happy when they win.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

If nothing else, and we already knew this, with no MAC or MAAC (or whatever they are) teams on the schedule, we can even less afford to let 1 point games like Ole Miss, and games like this where we still had a chance late, get away.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Not to mention no 1AA teams like a UT-Martin or Alabama State.

10:31 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I traded texts with a friend who is a UT fan that they must REALLY suck. 😉 At least they lost again too.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

And to think that prior to Saturday I was convinced that prepping for a colonoscopy last Tuesday was the least pleasant thing I was going to deal with all week. Honestly, I was so bummed out I didn’t even know how to feel about that game. I was actually kind of bored and turned it off with about 8 minutes to go.

10:29 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I get to look forward to that soon. So much fun getting older! I am going to try to find something to spike that prep with. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

You made me laugh CC. The game was not unlike colonoscopy prep as far as sports go. lol

11:07 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

RCF, you may want to be careful with that. If you stumble and fall on the way to the bathroom, you’re going to have two problems! lol

5. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

One step forward, two steps back – The Kentucky Football Shuffle. The coaches have perfected a new dance move.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Reminds me of my kid’s volleyball team. We had a stud player who is committed to a Div I player who plays half the time, meanwhile a less talented kid who happens to babysit for the coach plays all the way around. Is AJ Rose babysitting for Gran? 😉

10:22 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Committed to Div I program… Mondays

• Laker Cat 18
      10:33 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m no speaking on your situation, but I have seen players with zero offers outplay D-1 commits consistently. I don’t think that is a new thing. With that said, some coaches do play “favorites.”

10:40 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I have seen that too, trust me, this was not the case. 🙂

7. DoubleB65
    10:22 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t it pretty obvious what it means for the rest of this season?

I just can’t see this team beating any of the three big boys looming on the schedule. We should beat Vandy but SC will be a toss up depending on how demoralized this team is by then.

Saturdays loss pretty much killed any real shot of not having a losing record.

That’s what it means for the rest of the season.

10:37 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think we’ll have a winning season, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they play way better and steal one of those 3 games.

• JTHinton
      10:51 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Florida, for all their hype, is vulnerable. Georgia will beat us, but it’ll be competitive. Bama May kill us. 4-6 or 5-5 is the ceiling, I’m afraid.

At least we might still get Louisville in a bowl? They finally won a conference game and we will both have losing records, more than likely

8. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, Drew might have a future as an auctioneer. 🙂

9. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

“Manchester by the Sea” = “Brian’s Song”?

10:38 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I refuse to watch or read anything that is clearly going to try and make me cry.

• JTHinton
      10:52 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Not sure how many of y’all are huge soccer fans but You’ll never walk alone by Gerry and the peacemakers is my go-to pick me up song. It’s got a lot of soccer history

10. Bluehender
    10:32 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

That’s a great point Matt just made. Where were his teammates? Makes me wonder if there’s a team chemistry issue..

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

And with what he said about Dalton, usually O linemen are furious when someone cheap shots their QB and they’re like a mama bear.

• Bluehender
      10:39 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

That’s right cg. Losing can aggravate problems with the chemistry. So can playing time. The coaches need to step it up this week. As far as preparation..

• JTHinton
      10:56 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Cg, I didn’t see the Dalton hit but heard about it. The lack of response shocks me BC by all accounts, AD14 is a class act loved by everyone who knows him personally

10:42 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the rest of the team is tired of hearing him run his mouth. Cockiness doesn’t work so well when you don’t back it up.

• Bluehender
      10:50 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

That’s a real possibility RCF..

• JTHinton
      10:53 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Jospeh has ran his mouth so much that I’m sure his teammates are sick and tired of it.

I’m not sure if it’s just the football teams I follow (UK and bengals) or football more general, but it sure seems like there are a lot more jerks and players/parents who fire off stupid tweets in football rather than any other sport

11:30 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Social media will be the undoing of modern civilization.

11. Laker Cat 18
    10:37 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Parents, man. Some of them kill their kid’s careers. It’s sad.

10:48 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

You are correct. But sometimes they have a legitimate beef. However, airing your dirty laundry out on SM is almost never productive.

• JTHinton
      10:55 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s not fair to either terry or Gatewood to go back and forth with them. Pick one and keep him as your starter for at least a full 4 quarters!

11:00 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m fine with a two-headed QB, like Chris Leak and Tim Tebow back in the day, but this is definitely not a situation where the two guys have complementary skill sets like those guys did. The only thing you are doing by playing Terry and Gatewood is preventing them from getting into the flow of the game.

11:08 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

An indecisive OC is not a good thing.

11:16 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I would argue that indecision is even worse than being hard headed.

11:20 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Hard headedly indecisive?

11:27 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

That’s a great description, Realme. And I’m going to steal it to use the next time my wife doesn’t like what I suggest for dinner, but she can’t come up with any other ideas. 🙂

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:39 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Did you all see DK Metcalf for the Seahawks run down an INT last night? My gosh he closed quick. This kid will win a Super Bowl before it’s over. He’s got the dog in him.

10:41 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Yes, that didn’t look real!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

At least he wasn’t caught because he started dogging it (cough-cough) 30 yards out.

10:46 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Mod bot is clearly a Budda Baker fan. 😉

11:06 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone check to see if he is the Bionic Man? (Throwback to the 70’s, for all you young-uns. 🙂 I remember the kids in the neighborhood to stop in the middle of backyard football / basketball games to come inside to watch the “Six Million Dollar Man” and “The Incredible Hulk”.)

11:18 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Shouldn’t Metcalf have gone to Stephen F. Austin instead of Ole Miss?

13. Realme
    10:43 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

No reason to bash A.J., he’s doing his best, and it’s not like he’s going to refuse playing time.

10:48 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. All he can do is give it his best effort, and I think he does (except for that brain fart against Ol Miss).

• JTHinton
      10:56 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Just like the Guarantano situation at Tenn. It’s not the player’s fault he’s playing

11:10 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think the majority of the fans are hating on A.J. But we do want to see the player who is getting it done rewarded with more PT. That’s the way it’s supposed to work, right?

(Damn, now you are going to get me all riled up again about the VB team. 🙂 )

• Laker Cat 18
      11:11 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Tennessee didn’t throw one interception against Alabama. That’s crazy.

11:19 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I agree RCF, but there was a caller tearing A.J. down when I said that.

11:21 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Regarding the brain fart, I would have sat him for at least a half to drive home the point to the entire team that showboating like that will not be tolerated. Sometimes I think Stoops is lacking a bit in the team discipline department. We have had some other incidents with players showing immaturity.

14. ClutchCargo
    10:53 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I would hate to be running a restaurant and depend on the KSR gang to give good opinions about my food.

11:07 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Well, if you’re a restauranteur listener, you’d know to keep the food on a certain level and they’ll love it and send a fan hoard your way.

15. JTHinton
    10:54 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Have to miss the final segment of Hour1. What was the announcement Matt alluded to?

11:04 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

He wants to promote more foods by doing weekly taste tests of Lexington foods. A clever way to get free food and also send crowds to businesses like with the cinnamon rolls.

16. Laker Cat 18
    11:09 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

JCPS isn’t shutting down the teams who are in the playoffs from what I heard.

11:11 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I heard the same thing. High school volleyball is in playoffs and they have games this week.

17. Realme
    11:10 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Unless they’re contact tracing spikes to the games, it would be a real dick move to end the hs football season early.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

The “all shutdown” rule was apparently applied to HS sports in Kentucky, but I was told that teams that wore masks during competition did not have to quarantine the whole team if one player tests positive. I did not independently verify this, but I did see some volleyball teams that wore masks at all times, and others that did not wear them when actually on the court. I have no idea if a basketball player would be adversely affected by wearing a mask, but it didn’t seem to hamper the volleyball players.

19. Realme
    11:27 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

If Metcalf was chasing me, I’d be unable to run because I’d be hyperventilating.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Looks like Matt has decided to pick on Billy instead of Ryan or STD. Matt needs to man up and do one of these contests himself. 🙂

11:29 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

He never would, but I would enjoy that so much.

11:30 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Never forget his weird choppy high step base running.

11:33 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Dang, I missed this comment before I commented below. But yeah, I’m cracking up just thinking about them actually doing this.

21. Laker Cat 18
    11:29 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Can we get Jeff Badet?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:29 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I can get Tony Dixon.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:32 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Dixon ran a 4.41 40 yarder with a pulled hamstring back in his prime.

22. ClutchCargo
    11:31 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I would pay quite a bit of money to watch Matt and/or Ryan fleeing in terror as DK Metcalf (or somebody just as fast) runs after them.

11:33 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

The thought of Matt screaming like a little girl as he runs from him is delicious. 😉

23. RealCatsFan
    11:33 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I heard on the radio that Metcalf was running something like 22.6 MPH. That is damned fast!

I got on a treadmill a few years ago and cranked it up to 12 MPH and I could barely keep up! So I would have to start on about the 40 yard line of the near side. 🙂

24. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Hal Mumme, can we bring him back as out OC? His offense combined with our current defense would be fun to watch.

11:43 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes I think I would like that. But then I remember how frustrating it was at times after Tim Couch moved on and opposing defenses figured out how to stop us in the red zone.

25. runningunnin.454
    11:43 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Awwwww, I just about missed the football pity party, ha ha.

11:44 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s a party, it’s a party, it’s a party…

11:47 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Thought maybe you were just too mad, lol.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Have to admit, I had to go outside to cool off a few times. But as I said above, I’m going to let them slide considering the Coach Schlarman situation. Obviously had profound effect on the team, and probably the coaches, too, There were some really questionable coaching decisions.

11:58 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Agreed. Seemed apparent right from the start.

26. runningunnin.454
    11:46 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

I watched my first World Series game last night. First and third, no outs, and they don’t score. They don’t know how to sacrifice, and run the bases anymore…don’t play baseball anymore. Reminds me of little kids at the plate…close your eyes and swing as hard as you can…pathetic.

11:53 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

That was bad. Baseball is getting hard to watch. That at-bat where Adames came up and there was nobody at all in the normal second baseman’s spot pretty much sums it up. They dared him to hit it the other way and he just kept at his tendency to pull the ball before finally striking out on a pitch he couldn’t have reached with a boat oar. Even a bunt hard enough to get past the pitcher would have worked there.

11:55 am October 26, 2020 Permalink

Damn mod bot. Yeah, baseball is getting hard to watch.