KSR Show Thread 10/22: Sarr, Toppin, Mizzou, Ohio County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss the exciting news that both Olivier Sarr and Jacob Toppin have been cleared to play this season, talk a little Mizzou, and shine the spotlight on Ohio County.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

68 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/22: Sarr, Toppin, Mizzou, Ohio County

1. Realme
    9:57 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Platoons please. Thank you.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Sadly, we will probably never see that again, and that’s too bad, because I think it worked pretty well. That pretty much went away that year when Alex was injured.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:28 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

And Matt still maintains that it hurt recruiting. I don’t understand it when you see the pros that came out of that group, but “THESE TEENS THESE DAYS!” are a different lot and I guess some value college PT more than being a high draft pick and an all-pro.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I think if we had won the championship that year it would have helped.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I somewhat disagree, RCF. The platoons went to the wayside with Poy’s injury because we ended up with a different rotation and didn’t need to platoon at that point. Also, we’re about to see the one and done go away, and showcasing a handful of potential top draft picks won’t be the top priority anymore. So I can definitely see it happening again, but maybe not called that.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

3. ClutchCargo
    10:00 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Yes, too much depth would be a great problem to have once again.

4. JTHinton
    10:14 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I know everyone loves tipping off the season with the champions classic, but it will do our young team wonders to start off with Detroit, Morehead, and Richmond.

• JTHinton
      10:15 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I look back to genuinely elite teams — 09/10 Miami Ohio, 18/19 Southern Illinois/UNC Greensboro, etc. as evidence that we can absolutely drop cupcakes even when elite. Not to mention Evansville last year and other similar games from less talented UK squads

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I think we are going to be much like last year’s team. Early struggles and inconsistency, and yes, we will throw in some clunkers. Hopefully like last year the team will round into form as the season goes on, and we will actually have post-season tournaments again.

• Realme
      10:19 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Agreed, some easy games for this group who has never played together will be necessary. Also, after how last season died, I will just appreciate having games (fingers crossed).

5. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

That theory about Tennessee week is slightly irrational and lacking sound reasoning.

• Realme
      10:17 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Reason and rationality are optional.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

How many ncaa ‘ships did Zion win, I forget.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

He won the sneaker blowout championship.

• ClutchCargo
      10:28 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

It’s KSR, so…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:30 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

What did they say? I missed it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

If we lose to Tennessee football, other bad things happen that week; if we win, good things happen that week. After we lost that one year, Zion committed to Dook that week.

• Realme
      10:44 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

And Matt got kicked off the radio for a month or so. Because everything is actually about him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

And we somehow knew we were about to get blown out by UT in 2018, so the basketball team went ahead and got crushed by Dook in the same week.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Next subject from MJ: I just started a new psychic hotline! Haha. Are those still around?

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I think they all went out of business due to unforeseen circumstances, ironically. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:47 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they didn’t foresee the internet.

6. Realme
    10:16 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Covid is going to ruin everything if we’re really good. Jerk.

• JTHinton
      10:18 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Ncaa can’t afford another year w/o march madness. They’ll definitely bubble up and we will get a tournament

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Agree JTHinton. There’s no way they let this cancel the tournament again.

• Realme
      10:37 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Hope so guys, I just tend to expect the worst nowadays.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I hope so too.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Any updates on Keon’s injury? That may be the key to the season.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I thought they implied it wasn’t serious?

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I hope it isn’t serious. That’s why I was asking for an update. 😉 All I have heard is that he was hurt.

• Realme
      10:24 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know that he will end up being one of our best / more important players just because he is the only one with a little experience. Depends on how hard he has been working since we last saw him.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe I forgot to post this yesterday, but it was the anniversary of this:

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:43 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Haha. Thanks Tyler! I had forgotten that modbot won’t let you post 2 links in the same comment.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:26 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

10. Realme
    10:36 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

No it is not okay for Tyler to hold up a Louisville jersey for a photo.

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m not crazy about the Louisville jersey, but a Louisville fan rapper making a song about a UK fan favorite offsets that somewhat for me.

• JTHinton
      10:42 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like hip hop, or Louisville, or Jack Harlow. But the fact that he loves this state and is proud of Louisville/KY is a net positive for our state! He’s been pictured in LouCity jerseys on multiple occasions, which has to be massive for the club!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:45 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Good point. I guess I retract my “Yawn” comment on that post. Almost. Haha.

11. JTHinton
    10:38 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I can’t reiterate how massive this Raptors-to-Lou rumor could be for lou getting an nba team. OKC did this for New Orleans Hornets during hurricane Katrina and that’s why the Sonics moved to OKC just a couple years later. Could inspire a similar move (Memphis? Sacramento?) to Lou in the future if this goes well!

• JTHinton
      10:40 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Lou is attractive BC it’s a state of the art, nba caliber arena with practice facilities in close proximity, making it a more COVID-friendly setup. It was rumored to host the nba bubble until ESPN stepped in forced Orlando (Disney owns espn)

Realistically, Lou is 3rd in line behind Seattle and LV for a team. This could help push us above LV, who have added an NHL, NFL, and pro soccer team all within the last 5 years! LV would be an oversaturated market whereas NBA in Lou would only be competing with college hoops and LouCity soccer

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

It’s too bad there isn’t a stronger UK and UofL presence on that team to really get the attention of college basketball-only fans. But yeah, huge opportunity.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

KENTUCKY COLONELS BABY!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Couldn’t believe the Colonels didn’t transition to the NBA; they were one of the most consistent teams, and one of only two teams that didn’t relocate, change their name, or fold in the ABA nine years.
      Of course, Cincinnati couldn’t keep an NBA team; fans just didn’t show up, even though they had good teams.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, if Cincy still had the Royals I would pull for them along with the Reds and Bengals. From what I’ve read over the last few years (mostly in KSR comments), the Colonels would have moved to the NBA if John Y. Brown hadn’t torpedoed it because he wanted to buy the Celtics, or become part owner or whatever. I never knew that back in the day.

12. Realme
    10:58 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Now they’re unashamed about putting L’s up and can’t stop praising Russ Smith. Why are they being so gross today?

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

When you sell out and jump on some other team’s bandwagon, aren’t you supposed to choose a team/school that is an upgrade? I’m so confused.

13. ClutchCargo
    10:59 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

They love Russ Smith, yet the photo of him with Katina Powell is on every story about UofLOL’s scandal(s). Got it.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:00 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I like Russ Smith (although I hated him at times when we played them), seems like a genuinely good dude, but he always reminded me of a squirrel. He has those little nubby ears like a squirrel, and he is always twitching and jumping around like a squirrel. 🙂

15. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

So is Rudy G now the Minnesota Fats of pocket billiards? I for one always lay down on my bed to tuck in my shirt tail! 😀

16. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Pruitt just did what half of our fans want Stoops (or Mitch) to do, if you read the comment sections, etc.

• Realme
      11:16 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

FARRR EDDIIEEEE GRAN!

17. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I don’t understand the fans who say we as fans need to take it one game at a time and worry about beating Missouri before looking ahead. No, we don’t. The team needs to take that approach.

18. ClutchCargo
    11:25 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Hadorn’s Bakery in Bardstown is the real deal. And I’m not even a sweets eater, really.

19. Realme
    11:27 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

There is nothing middle of the road about Lexington politics. This place is super liberal.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:50 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Well, the Dems and their lapdog media are trying to convince moderates and independents that Kamala Harris is a moderate. Yeah, MAYBE compared to Mao.

20. Realme
    11:29 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

No thanks, Big 10. We don’t need you.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like watching the Big However Many even in a normal year. The World Series will definitely be higher on my to watch list than that.

Speaking of stuff to watch, the second season of what was “The Haunting of Hill House” is out on Netflix and it’s pretty good, from the two episodes I have watched so far. It’s called “The Haunting of Bly Manor.” I was a big fan of “Hill House” but this is an entirely new story.

• Realme
      11:37 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Loved Hill House and will definitely watch that one too.

21. ClutchCargo
    11:42 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I do like the fall colors in the mountains, but after the leaves are gone is also a great time to go if you are into rock formations. Kentucky supposedly has the most natural arches east of the Miss Sippy River, and you can see a ton of them in Red River Gorge and the surrounding counties.

• Realme
      11:45 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m ready for the leaves to fall off so I can see more birds. I don’t know how all these birders go out and find 30 migrating warblers when I can’t get a good look at anything right now.

• ClutchCargo
      11:48 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

Hey, my wife and I spotted our first warblers about a week ago, now that you mention that. I put a few mealworms out and they seemed to like those. I love seeing the birds that are only here for a short time.

• Realme
      11:50 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I had one stop by briefly, too bad I didn’t have any of those stinky worms out.

• RealCatsFan
      12:50 pm October 22, 2020 Permalink

I was out on the Ohio River on my boat yesterday and a bald eagle flew over us. Magnificent!

22. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:46 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

That factoid about MSG is similar to why DDT got banned.

23. Realme
    11:46 am October 22, 2020 Permalink

I took Rupp photos but forgot to put them on my tumblr. Will try to remember to do tonight.