KSR Show Thread 10/2: Live from Bowling Green

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is in Bowling Green to preview our KSR Game of the Week between the Bowling Green Purples and the South Warren Spartans. They’ll also look ahead to Kentucky’s home opener vs. Ole Miss and discuss the news of the day (slow morning, right?).

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

86 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/2: Live from Bowling Green

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:00 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

SURVEY TIME! Was Lane Kiffin doing his duty?
    1) Yes
    2) No
    3) Iā€™m trying not to think about it

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Then…why did you bring it up? I can’t believe I even read the article, ha ha.

• Realme
      10:03 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I have no idea what this is about, but will definitely go with #3 from context.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:05 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yes. Lane Kiffin was dropping a deuce. One with more violence than he will bring to Lexington this weekend. It is what it is.

10:05 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

• Realme
      10:07 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Oh, you meant doing his doody! I assume they will play it on the show for us all to hear.

10:07 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

That’s just one of the choices for the survey RG. lol

10:08 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yes Realme, it was a lame play on words. So much for his Joe Cool image.

• RealCatsFan
      10:08 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

He was doing his doodie, not duty.

10:16 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, my joke went over like a lead balloon as my mom would say.

• Realme
      10:20 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

No, it was good, I just didn’t know the context yet, and then I got it. šŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he was executing the dump pass RPO play.

10:39 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Haha RCF! And to RG’s video as well.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I think Forrest Gump is one of the best movies ever made…and I’m a ’30’s and ’40’s film buff. When I first saw the TV ads for the movie with the Elvis and JFK scenes, I said oh, I have to see that.

10:59 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

It was very well done, but it was a bit depressing for me. His girlfriend dumps on him the whole movie, then she finally marries him when she’s dying.

10:59 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

It has a great soundtrack though. A friend of mine who served in Vietnam bought it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m kind of the same way when it comes to Forrest Gump, cg. I thought it was a depressing and sad movie with some funny scenes.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Just a movie, guys; and, one of the themes of the movie is “true love never dies”. Just like in another of my favorite fairly recent movies, “Secondhand Lions” and the “what every boy needs to know about being a man” speech.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:01 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Um, yeah, should be a slow news day. šŸ˜‰

• Realme
      10:02 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

What? Something crazy has happened? In 2020?

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Nahh. Business as usual.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:06 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I know it was a little late in the game, but the KSR game of the week should have been Jackson County traveling to Shawnee in Louisville. The article was great.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yes, can South Warren even compete against BG?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:15 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I think it will be a good game. They should both be solid this year.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:18 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

They’ve played each other 5 times since they restarted the series in 2017. Bowling Green leads that series 3-2.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, didn’t know; I know BG has been tough last few years.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:12 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

They could have a Zoom debate. Not ideal, but they could do it.

10:16 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

BTW, it’s a shame we have to even say “Well, even though I don’t agree with his politics, I don’t wish a deadly illness on him”. That should go without saying. That’s not a criticism of Matt, just of the situation generally.

I have no use for Biden’s politics, and I’ve said many times he has declined cognitively and he in no way can handle the job of POTUS, but I don’t take any glee in his decline.

• Realme
      10:19 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I agree. Can’t imagine the glee some of my co-workers and twitter friends are expressing today, but that is evil if they are. Might just stay offline today. And I think he’s a hideous person.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

cg, I have also read that he has a lifelong speech impediment, and he likes to try to pause to measure his words before speaking. But he has made some verbal gaffes, no doubt.

10:36 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

True RCF, but we all know if he wins that Kamala will take over in short order. He has even let that cat out of the bag himself once or twice when he said something along the lines of his running mate needing to be ready to go because “I’m an old guy” or something like that. It’s still amazing to me of all the Dems out there tripping over one another to get that spot, he chooses the one who called him a racist. Just remember this the next time she or Biden calls Trump that (especially in a DEBATE like Biden did this week):

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

cg, I would have been interesting to see Harris in a debate against Trump. I thought Biden passed up multiple opportunities to take Trump to task about some of the things that he said. For instance, when he called out Biden for supposedly being “at the bottom of his class”, Biden could have countered with the fact that Trump threatened to sue any institution he had attended if they released any of his past grades, transcripts, test scores, etc. Maybe Biden is a little slow on the counterpunch, and maybe he was trying to play by the rules of the debate and keep the narrative focused on the issues like it should have been. It was a mess, no matter how you slice it, and don’t know how the next two will be any different, if they happen.

11:03 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

It was a mess. As I said before, I don’t mind a little bare knuckled brawling, but when there is constant talking over one another and you can’t hear, nothing is accomplished.

• ClutchCargo
      11:07 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Someone must have been listening when I suggested having the moderator be able to shut off somebody’s mic if they just keep on yelling after being warned. I hear that’s one of the changes being proposed.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

If that doesn’t work, I would then resort to a water cannon and/or dog shock collars. šŸ˜€

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, coconut creme pie in the face would be epic. šŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yep, RCF. If it’s going to be a Three Stooges episode anyway, let’s just go all in

5. Realme
    10:13 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

This is so wild. We could end up in a real life Designated Survivor situation.

10:18 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, hopefully no one rushes to the mic and says “I’M IN CHARGE!” like Alexander Hague.

10:20 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Haig not Hague. I just looked it up to make sure I had the right guy. Right guy, wrong spelling.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Did I hear Matt say that the VP has tested negative?

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Horsemen, saddle up! šŸ™‚ BTW, isn’t there a horse race somewhere this weekend?

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:14 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Big KHSAA Football games this week:

1A #7 Raceland vs. 3A #7 Ashland

2A #4 Mayfield vs. 2A #8 Caldwell County

2A #9 McLean County at 2A #10 Owensboro Catholic

3A #4 Russell vs. 6A #10 Simon Kenton

4A #9 Hopkinsville at 4A #10 Logan County

5A #1 Bowling Green vs. 5A #5 South Warren

6A #1 Trinity at 6A #5 St. Xavier

7. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

They didn’t shake hands, and they were at maybe a safe distance…let’s calm down. And, I think Biden will benefit with no more debates.
    Did he really have to bring up Pelosi being third in line? Heaven help us.

8. Realme
    10:24 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Designated Survivor was a good show, really just the first season. Once he was just President Keifer it was just a boring political drama. I watched it on Netflix.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:26 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Aren’t there two versions of that show? One was on Fox or something and the other one is Netflix produced, right?

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m thinking it was dropped by whatever network it was on, and then picked up by Netflix?

• Realme
      10:30 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Same show I think. Maybe Netflix did extra seasons like with Arrested Development, idk.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I’ve been wanting to start that one.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I was a big fan of 24 and just about anything else he has been in. But I’m hesitant to start watching something that’s only good for like one season. I have had that happen too many times when I was desperate for series to watch earlier this year.

• JTHinton
      11:06 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

That show peaked about midway through the first season and plummeted the rest of the way

9. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I need a really sharp, crisp performance from our boys and a big W before I can feel confident about the rest of the season.

10. ClutchCargo
    10:28 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I agree with Drew. Our best defense is going to be ball control offense to keep theirs off the field.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and our defensive backs are going to have to stay in the same zip code as the receivers.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Our DB’s need to play more, talk less.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

If I’m their coaches they are running a lot of wind sprints in practice this week, just as much for yapping as for missed assignments.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:31 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

The only problem with what Matt said about guys showing off on the base paths is that the next guy up, or you the next time up, is going to take one in the earhole. I’m not saying that’s right, but baseball is notorious for copious numbers of unwritten rules, and that is but one of them.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

So after Pelosi we have another old white fuddy duddy? What is the average age of members of Congress and the Senate? It must resemble a retirement home over there.

10:39 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know the average age, but yeah, most of the ones with the most power seem to be geriatrics for sure. And that’s not new. Look at how old Robert Byrd, Strom Thurmond, etc. were. They were both in DC for a hundred years it seemed like.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, Tuesday night is bingo night, Wednesday night is pizza night, and Thursday they get tapioca pudding.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Monday and Friday, vote on stuff that affects the lives of millions of people. Yikes!

13. Realme
    10:48 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Always fun when a caller says a qb they have never seen play is better than the current guy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing. It’s true what they say about the backup QB being the most popular guy on the team for the fans.

11:01 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

It’s the same way at Bama almost every year.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I’ll cut the Bama fans a bit of slack on that one, considering the backup is probably an NFL prospect himself.

11:33 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, about the only recent year where there was none of that was after Jalen Hurts transferred.

14. ClutchCargo
    10:56 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Benny needs to call in more often. His questions and comments are like stuff we say on here all the time. Busting Matt’s balls about knowing anything about appliances, for instance.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:03 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

When Mama Cass is in the audience, and after the performance, she says “WOW”…you just know you be good,

16. Realme
    11:21 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

OH FOR PETE’S SAKE JUST SAY JURY SELECTION!

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:27 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

lol at the call of the day.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m just mad I didn’t think of it first! lol

• Realme
      11:39 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

So good. Didn’t ruin it by trying to say something funny.

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree, that was simply perfect!

18. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:40 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t hear the whole thing, but I appreciate that coach.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

That is a really cool story. We need more stuff like this!

cg, the backstory is that the he coaches an all-white team in the mountains of Eastern KY (Jackson Co?), and they needed an extra game on their schedule. So he reached out to the coach at Shawnee HS in west Louisville to play a game, since he thought his kids would be able to commiserate with the kids from the inner city about being looked down on and compartmentalized socially. I love stuff like this. We are all human beings.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

So – is Chester like that in real life? If so, he is probably the neighbor that I try to avoid while walking the dog around the circle. šŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:57 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

He’s my favorite caller now that we seldom hear from JT or the Truth. But no, I don’t want to know him in real life. It would either ruin the fun, or be like you expect.

12:01 pm October 2, 2020 Permalink

But if you need someone to pump you up before going to work, he’s your guy!

20. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am October 2, 2020 Permalink

I was grooving to this on the drive in this morning. Wish I could find the live version of it. Something mellow and bluesy to kick off y’all’s weekend.

• Realme