KSR Show Thread 10/19: The party continues

A Kentucky fan watches from the stands before a game between Tennessee and Kentucky at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn. on Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020. Photo via SEC.

Good morning, friends, and welcome to a celebration edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will relive Kentucky’s huge win over Tennessee in Knoxville, a dub 36 years in the making. Fill up that coffee cup and let the good times keep on rolling.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

94 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/19: The party continues

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

“After halftime we wanted to come back out and show people that we know how to finish a game and keep our foot on the gas and show everyone that we’re not going to play conservative”.
    No foolin, you promise? No more just trying to hang on? Then I promise to stop singing this song when we go into the 2nd half with a two score lead.

10:04 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I thought of you when they were running some actual offense in the second half! If only the coaches typically felt that way…

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Yep, early Christmas present for me, Hooo Ahhh.

10:09 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I remember thinking later on last season that we were showing signs of developing a killer instinct, or at least not letting up and trying to sit on a small lead. Also, more C-Rod please!

10:19 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Give us all the C-Rod! Forcing things with AJ in situations that he isn’t as good at isn’t doing him favors. Use them situationally. Rodriguez is the tackle breaker. Smoke is the speed. AJ is the go sideways first guy? I don’t mean to knock A.J. He is a great player and a great guy.

10:22 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

From what I remember before the season started last year, a KSR writer said AJ is the speed guy, Chris is the hammer, and Smoke is a tweener. I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate, and I can’t remember if that was their opinion or if they were quoting a coach. Either way, Smoke is our HR guy IMO, but he’s hurt now anyway. McClain looks good!

10:25 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Just like it’s hard to recruit a decent receiver with our playing style, it’s easy to get a great RB. I love that about our team.

10:34 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

True that Realme.

2. Realme
    10:04 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I’m is a really good mood for a Monday. Weird.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

The Vols tried to make us go soft on them by honoring #22 before the game. Didn’t work! But seriously, very classy move by the Vols – kudos to them.

But wow, what a sweet victory after all those years of frustration!

4. cats646
    10:13 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Was I the only one who was genuinely upset we didn’t keep pounding the ball down the field the last ten minutes to run the score up and take out 30 years of anger?? I wanted to destroy their program, beat them by 60+ lol.

10:15 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

If Bama and Clemson can run up the score, why can’t we? Sportsmanship? Pfffttttt!

10:16 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I would say I was very mildly annoyed by that. But the game was pretty much over at that point and UT had given up even trying to win

10:18 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

The only difference, to me, is Bama and Clemson are going for style points to boost their playoff resume. I’m not too worried about it until we are in that situation.

10:18 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Breaking 40 at least would have been nice.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I actually enjoyed the victory formation there at the end…the ultimate gotcha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Hey, just remember that all week we were pretty much chalking this one up as an “L”, especially after the way our secondary had been performing.

10:28 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Correct RCF.

• cats646
      10:30 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Very true. The win was extremely satisfying. But just thinking of the scoreboard bein 64-7 makes me happier. Lol. Screw the Vols!

5. ClutchCargo
    10:13 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

It felt GREAT to finally take care of business in a game against a just okay UT team. But it was more relief than “HOLY SH!T WE JUST WON” like those games vs UF, UofL with Lamar, etc. And maybe it was more satisfaction than relief, now that I think about it. I had no expectations going in, and I was pleasantly surprised.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Possibly the best comment of the weekend when after the game Cole Cubelic said (paraphrasing): “Some defenses in the SEC may have more players that look good with 6 pack abs, but if I get in a street fight in an alley and I need help, Kentucky’s defense is the one I want.”

BOOM!!!

7. Realme
    10:16 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

So they fired Brumbaugh, who was not an offensive coach. I bet they were just mad he still loves us more.

10:20 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I missed that. Was he at UT? Also, I didn’t know Chris Weinke is there until someone mentioned it in the Live Blog.

10:21 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

And the guy had only coached 4 games there. Meanwhile, their offense has been shaky at best for a few years. Go figure.

8. Realme
    10:23 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Victorious Go Big Blue chants in opposing stadiums will never get old.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

We lap their tears up like a Big Blue Butterfly lapping up nectar. 🙂

10:29 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Boos from 100+ Vol fans would have been even better. I do feel for the QB though. I want to win, but that has to be tough.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

That’s sports for ya. Sometimes the hero, sometimes the goat. Our kicker got to experience the latter a few games ago. Glad he has apparently got it back on track.

10:34 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Hey, we’ve been the guy needing sympathy and getting none for a lot of years now. I’ve been saying this for a couple of years now, but it’s about time things started going our way, and I’m not apologizing for any breaks we get. So no sympathy from me!

10:41 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Agreed.

11:10 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I feel I can sports hate the Vols and still feel for the individual player. I guess I’m soft like that. lol

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:24 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

BOSSMAN FAT! Put some respect on his name, Matthew!

10:26 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Yeah he doesn’t deserve any more of a hard time, he set the tone for that beat down.

10:27 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I would say he has at least moved from intern to middle management now. Or maybe the Assistant to the Bossman.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:24 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Loved the Vol fans’ faces, at first just ghostly turned a whiter shade of pale,

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Another pop song that ripped off a classical composer, Bach’s Air on the G String (no snide comments about g strings)

10:33 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Well, fortunately for that group, Bach isn’t around to sue them. Haha.

BTW, I really hate that song. The music sounds like a dirge, and the guy’s vocals are the worst. I like the Bach piece though. I had never heard that Brocol Harum ripped off off Johann.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I actually like that song – always thought it had a pretty melody. Now I know why. 😉 But if you think about the sheer number of musical pieces written through the eons, and the finite number of patterns and sequences that the notes can be arranged in, is it any wonder that “rip offs” happen?

11. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

“Tennessee football done this, not me!”

Now that’s some funny stuff! 😀 😀

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I must confess that back when I was in my 20’s, I got so mad during a basketball game that I slammed my hand down on a footstool. And my car keys were sitting on it. When I raised my hand up, one of the keys was sticking right through the palm of my hand. No major damage, just a trip to the doctor to get it cleaned out and patched up, but I still have that honor scar, although it’s fading.

10:46 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

My brother has put a knife through his hand (disabled guy who likes to cook). I bet it would take a lot more force to do that with a car key.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, once during a basketball game, I totally destroyed a Christmas tree; no scars though, it was a quick TKO. Don’t even remember which game it was. I’m glad I’ve learned to control myself, ha ha.

10:55 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

A real tree or a plastic one?

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

It was fake, my parents didn’t fool with real trees. It was one of those awful aluminum trees with the revolving color wheel, and it was in the basement. Personally I’ve always had real trees in my home.

11:11 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Oh, so it wasn’t your personal tree after moving out. Haha. I know someone who found one of the aluminum trees at a yard sale last year. They’re cheesy old goodness.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

When I had my first job after graduating we had a company Christmas party, and this was back in the 80’s when it was not unusual to having heavy drinking at these parties, and things sometimes got out of hand. This one night my manager (We’ll call him “Johnson”) got roasted and for some reason he and some of the other guys in the office spontaneously lined up in formation and tackled the Christmas tree at the hotel conference room that they had rented.

At the next year’s party, someone put a note on the tree saying “Johnson, you’re mine!”

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

“Maggie, you’re like a woman here…” LOL

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:27 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I actually tuned into Basillio’s show for a little while after KSR and I heard that call.

I still don’t know how Tony goes 5 hours. I still say he’s sitting on a chamber pot or one of those old folk living room toilets. That’s why he has one of his ads covering his face so much so we won’t know.
    😛
    :mrgreen:

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he is wearing adult diapers like the old folks at the slot machines. 😉

10:55 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Yes, I forgot the 3rd possibility!

14. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    10:28 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

We ran a slant pass. The first one it 8 years. I am a happy camper.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

NO 2nd half runs into a stacked box, and three and out…I couldn’t believe what I was watching.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

TW did play a solid game. I think the early defensive scores took a lot of pressure off him and allowed him to play more relaxed.

Also glad to see Gatewood getting some late minutes. Hope we can continue to be in situations to get him ready for next year.

10:43 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

We’re getting closer to a complete game from both sides. That was a full game for the defense and a second half from the offense. If the defense can keep getting as many interceptions as points they allow, we don’t even need more from the offense.

10:57 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

That’s not going to happen against Bama. Mac Jones is looking great, and their receivers are NFL level. It’s the old worn out “We can’t stop them, so we have to contain them” thing. If I’m wrong that would be awesome.

10:59 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I mean, he deserves to have an off game against us for decommitting. Just kidding, he obviously made a good decision. I thought he would flop, especially after that drunk driving mug shot.

16. Realme
    10:37 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Is it just me or has the post game gotten lame? I don’t listen all the time anymore, but I tuned in expecting some sass from Matt and some insane or insanely drunk callers. It was pretty calm. Hope we hear from Chester today.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I forgot about until there were only about 10 minutes left. I was at a car show Saturday afternoon, and was getting score updates from Mrs RCF via text. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Couldn’t wait to get home and watch it on DVR. Also had a UK Volleyball match to watch. Great weekend! 🙂

11:09 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the crazies come out more at night.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Now, Chris; Whiter Shade of Pale is better than that one. Actually, the Procol Harem lyrics also ripped off Geoffrey Chaucer’s “The Miller’s Tale” from The Canterbury Tales.

17. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Hey, let’s give some love to our Volleyball Cats too! Our ladies swept the Vols 3-0 Friday night, and followed that up with a 3-1 victory on Saturday. Some amazing young freshmen got a lot of playing time. Rutherford can absolutely jump out of the gym. This will make losing Leah hurt a lot less. Avery Skinner was on fire this weekend. Had to be cool for her to have her little sister playing on the same team. Wish my girls could have had the chance to experience that.

18. Realme
    10:48 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Ryan’s right. Akeem was on Twitter during the game, not in Knoxville.

10:51 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I missed that. Are we talking about the receiver who can’t stop whining online about playing time?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I remember seeing him catch some balls against Ole Miss I believe it was. I was impressed with his intensity. With that said, we don’t need no drama. Just play.

10:56 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

He tweeted a complaint after a game and then deleted it. He wasn’t wrong that they should have targeted him some, he had been promising. But, if it’s true he was the one that got Ali blasted by not blocking, I get it.

10:59 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I hope he gets it together and has a great career. But he needs to take that up with his coaches and keep it off social media.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:59 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Yep, got to block out wide or you’re a liability.

19. ClutchCargo
    10:50 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Not gonna lie, I was sure we were about to see a future Heisman candidate when they brought the backup QB in. We have seen that movie so many times.

10:54 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Y’all that curse was broken before this season. I don’t remember what game, but it’s not a thing anymore.

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

They put in the 3rd string QB, too, didn’t they?

10:57 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I like watching our defense cause qb controversies.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I felt much better about that 2nd string guy when we picked him right off the bat. That’l show em!

And yeah, it was pretty funny to see us forcing them into their 3rd string QB.

11:00 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Haha! You can almost hear them thinking “He just got lit up by UK?? He must not be that good after all.”

11:02 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Realme, it was as recently as last year vs Florida that the backup QB monster reared its ugly head, and I’m scarred by that one. But yeah, maybe that’s not a thing anymore. That it didn’t happen in a game with a team that has had our number for decades gives me hope.

11:29 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I remembered celebrating the end of the curse last year, but not when. Drew mentioned it on Twitter but also didn’t say the specific game.

11:33 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I seem to remember Missouri’s QB going down during last year’s game, and it didn’t matter that the backup came in. Maybe it was that game.

20. runningunnin.454
    11:12 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I watched the UL/ND game after our game; ugliest game I’ve ever seen. Annnd, ND wins 12-7, and jumps Georgia for 3rd in the country…insane. Hell, Ga Tech put up 46 on UL; ND is always over rated.

21. Laker Cat 18
    11:18 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Max Duffy is the best punter ever at UK. Yes, I said it. Better than Masthay.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I think Steve Spurrier would approve. 🙂

11:26 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

The Aussie before Duffy was really good, and Max has made us pretty much forget him.

22. ClutchCargo
    11:19 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

The pain in this guy’s voice is like sweet music to my ears. LOL

11:19 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

The Tennessee radio guy, that is.

11:22 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I move that if we beat UT next year, the next Monday’s show needs to just be the UT show with the KSR guys providing commentary.

11:31 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I’d listen to that all day.

23. secrick
    11:23 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Ha help me out if you can. Who wore number 22 Sat.?

11:27 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

It was supposed to be one guy, but they put it in the wrong locker, so it was someone unplanned. Sorry I don’t remember who, but I saw tweets about it.

11:33 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Watson?

24. secrick
    11:29 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

He played one heck of a game .

25. Realme
    11:36 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Clutch I watched the last WD episode, great. And the first World Beyond. Very promising, surprise ending.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:40 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I need to catch up on all things The Walking Dead.

11:45 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the latest TWD episode was good. There are some new episodes coming out in early 2021 that are technically part of season 10. World Beyond, I’m not sure what to think about that one. Just on its own, I don’t know that it’s a great show. But I think it is meant more for providing back story for the main show than anything, which is nice. And I don’t know what they are thinking with Fear the Walking Dead. That show went from pretty good to not making sense at all. But it’s new content, at least.

11:46 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

Haven’t started Fear yet, but am fully expecting WB to explain some things about Rick and Jadis.

LC, you should. Not every episode is a winner, but overall it’s still worth it, imo.

26. Laker Cat 18
    11:39 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I’m going to leave this right here:

Rodriguez – 13 carries, 73 yards, 5.6 yards per carry
    Rose – 10 carries, 22 yards, 2.2 yards per carry

27. ClutchCargo
    11:54 am October 19, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know. You can’t just keep putting every year’s best players in the Ring of Honor, or you will run out of space.