KSR Show Thread 10/14: Hump Day!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will continue to get you ready for Tennessee, discuss some NCAA rule changes, and shine the spotlight on Montgomery County. Plus, a lot of other random stuff.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/14: Hump Day!

1. Realme
    10:09 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

=^-^=

10:09 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Sigh.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Is that a gang symbol? What gang are you in?

10:13 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

The librarian gang.

10:15 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

lol Chris. It was supposed to be another of the emojis that word press said would work. A cat.

10:28 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I saw that yesterday but I was late replying to your long line of emojis. I guess they’ve disabled some of them and not updated their list.

10:32 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I get it, though. Can’t have people posting gang signs on here. 😛

10:38 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

You should see the hand signal I’m throwing right now, ha ha.

10:50 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Here’s my favorite I never knew existed:
      :mrgreen:

10:50 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

^^^It’s like the puking emoji except he’s happy!^^^

10:58 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Who knew there was a happy puking emoji? I can’t for the life of me imagine the context in which that would be used. lol

11:28 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I know. Ppl who are green with envy aren’t smiling either. Oddly enough, the code for creating that has the word “mrgreen” in it. Maybe someone was a fan of Mr. Green Jean on Captain Kangaroo?

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

3. Realme
    10:15 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Does Matt not know that 15% of Memorial is less than 15% of Rupp?

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, he acknowledged that; but, he said it would be louder…go figure. Fewer people could get in. Wouldn’t mind one game/year; but not every game.

10:20 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I do think it would be cool for one game a year.

4. Realme
    10:25 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I thought the book was patonizing (Hillbilly Elegy).

10:25 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Dang it I saw the typo right as I hit the button.

10:27 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t Matt make disparaging comments about Kentuckians on some other show (I vaguely remember something like that)? And now he’s complaining about how Kentuckians are portrayed in movies and such?

10:36 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Not sure, but probably.

10:37 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I just thought J.D. Vance came across very judgey and I’m-not-part-of-them about the family who raised him in Appalachia in his book.

10:39 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

It might have been more that he was playing along with the KY stereotypes, not sure. I didn’t see it personally, just remember it being discussed on here.

10:44 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

The first Saturday he did his ESPN thing I turned on the radio and heard him telling his colleagues “There are some churches in Kentucky that still practice snake handling!”

10:46 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, and was playing cringey songs for them!

10:49 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t catch that part. Cringey in what way?

10:49 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

That’s it, cg!

10:51 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

He was playing gross Conway Twitty type songs for the ESPN crowd, as if that’s what we listen to here.

10:54 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I should have guessed.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:29 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Here is Elvis’ big hit from 1961; but, did you know it was a rip off of a tune written by a French classical composer, Jean-Paul Martini, in the 1700’s. Amazing, George Harrison lost a lawsuit for copying dah do ron ron. I guess if you’re going to rip someone off, make sure they’ve been dead for 200 years.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:30 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

What did we do to go from Jerry Claiborne three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football to being able to run the Air Raid immediately when Mumme came along? Maybe do that to help the receivers improve.

10:45 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

No idea how I managed to type Jerry Claiborne in place of Bill Curry there. Maybe my brain is trying to block that memory.

10:48 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Curry never had a set offensive philosophy. It changed every time he hired a new OC. I think we were just fortunate that we (of course) had Tim Couch, but also Craig Yeast and Kio Sanford. I remember some pundits saying it would be hard to get the OL to adjust, but for some reason they adjusted quickly. They were SEC size as I recall, and I guess Mumme just had a really good OL coach (and Mumme may have had a knack for helping with those guys too…I dunno).

11:09 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

We pretty much had no offense, much less a passing game. But then it turned out we had guys who could get open and catch the ball. Maybe it was partially a case of a great QB “throwing them open.”

7. Realme
    10:35 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

It’s the lower level where the restaurants and conference center that is rubble (Vine St). Rupp level on High St. looks mostly ready, at least from the outside.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:42 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

BTW, I had to bow out the other day before news broke that Joe Morgan died. All hail Big Red Machine. He was one of my all time favorites along with Johnny Bench. I remember when me and my friends in the project were playing pickup baseball in Lexington, we would mimic Joe pumping the back arm up and down when up to bat. What a player. *sniff*

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Morgan had a strike zone of about 5 inches. I also remember when Bench was a rookie.
      Alas, Johnny, just the other day…we were kids.

10:53 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Pete Rose was in that group also, but I soured on him over the years with all his shenanigans. He was an unbelievable player, but not a very nice person it doesn’t seem.

10:54 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Heck, just throw all The Big Red Machine in there! Haha. Tony Perez, Foster, Geronimo, Concepcion…man what a team! Morgan & Bench are still top 2 though.

11:27 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Johnny Bench is still my all-time favorite player. I think he was still playing while he was on the old “Baseball Bunch” show. I loved that show, too!

11:30 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that was a fun show to watch.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Uugh, I am having the infamous Microsoft “Blue Screen of Death” issue on both my home laptop as well as my wife’s work laptop. Seems very strange that two separate computers are having essentially the same issue. Thinking it is either some type of virus or a Windows update that is wreaking havoc. I hate computers!! 🙁

10:46 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I know PCs can be glitchy, but I thought the BSOD was a relic of Windows 90s versions (maybe ME as well).

10:47 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

A few days ago, on this site only, my laptop kept trying to download some file or other. Don’t even know what they were, I just deleted them as soon as I noticed it.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:54 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

What version of Windows do you have?

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

LC, all I know is it’s Windows 10. Can’t get it to boot to see what version. It can’t find the OS when it tries to boot. Not good…

• Laker Cat 18
      12:43 pm October 14, 2020 Permalink

Research your machine specifically and try to boot it up in safe mode.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:57 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Those Lone Ranger tv episodes go all the way back to 1949; some satellite channel shows them, and I watch them; never saw Aunt Bee, though.

11:04 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I thought he just made that up, but sure enough: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0635435/

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

From 1955, cool. Aunt Bee played a Ma Barker character.

11:37 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

1949? I had no idea it went back that far. I know it was on the radio at one time. My mom said it was SO exciting to hear that intro & then the William Tell Overture.on the radio!

11:40 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I see someone reviewed that episode and says he watched it on “The Cowboy Channel”. I’ve never heard of that. Do any of you have it? I don’t know if my cable company carries it, but if they do, it’s on a higher tier than I have and I pay them enough.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:08 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

If he doesn’t stop making that noise……….

11:13 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

WHANY NAH NAH!!!!!!!!!!
      Yes, it’s terrible.

11:32 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Since he’s a law dog, they should play the “Law & Order” “gah-DUNK!” sound effect, unless they would get sued…”gah-DUNK!”

11:36 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

The Law and Order thing they play at the stadium when the other team gets a penalty cracks me up.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I love the Breaking News sound effect! This show needs more stuff like that.

11:13 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Well I guess me and RG are grumpy today and you had a good night’s sleep.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Hee haw, Clutch the Jester, the Merry Andrew.

11:17 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Not the Matt-produced sound, the music they played. I’m with you all on the other goofy stuff.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I’m lucky to have a wife who likes to decorate and is good at it. Our holiday decorations (and landscaping, to some degree) would suck if it was left to me to get it done. I’m just the guy who does the heavy lifting and climbing on ladders to make it happen.

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Mrs RCF is good at putting out the decorations for whatever holiday is in fashion, but I am saddled with the unenviable task of lugging the 9 foot tall Christmas tree out of the basement, setting it up, getting all those damned lights working, and decorating it. I also am responsible for the outside decorations, but we have scaled back from Griswold level decorating to simply hanging wreaths in the windows with spotlights on them. Oh, and I get to set up my homemade Nativity barn and Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus. (all 8 lbs 6 oz of him in his golden fleece diaper.)

11:35 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

A couple who is (are?) friends of ours have like 20 trees or something crazy like that (a nice fancy house in the country). She fancies herself a Martha Stewart type (she has one of those Mommy type blogs). Her hubby once said “I’ll be glad when my son is old enough to get those trees down from the attic”. He’s old enough now. I haven’t thought to ask him if he makes him do it. lol

11:35 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I get in the mood to decorate for holidays about once a decade. But I should really go ahead and get the skull on the front door, lols.

I was walking around the horse park last weekend, and was surprised how many people full on decorated their campsites. Looked like my MIL’s over the top front yard over there.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:31 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Rowan Co is the next county from Montgomery? Did Bath Co get eliminated somehow?

15. Realme
    11:45 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Boy, that was some radio.

16. Realme
    11:53 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

Phew, man sober up a little, it’s noon.

11:54 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

This Steve guy is exhausting to listen to.

17. ClutchCargo
    11:58 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

I’m done thinking we’re going to beat UT. It could happen, but I’m not holding my breath. I finally learned my lesson last season.