KSR Show Thread 10/13: Turn on that radio!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. The gang is all together to discuss the news of the day, including Mark Stoops’ comments yesterday, the Amy McGrath/Mitch McConnell debate last night, and Amazon Prime Day. They’ll also shine the spotlight on Monroe County, the latest county up in our Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass Virtual Tour.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

87 Comments for KSR Show Thread 10/13: Turn on that radio!

1. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

These kids might just make it; willing to bet, though, two of the three don’t have a clue what the song is about, ha ha

10:29 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I know the song is not your genre, rg, but I am really starting to like this guy’s YouTube videos. He breaks the songs down and analyzes them. I am not a musician, so I’m easy to impress, but he seems to know his stuff. I could spend hours here…

10:34 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’ve watched numerous videos from Rick Beato. Watch the one where he’s lamenting the death of EVH. I had already watched his “What makes this song great?” about Van Halen just a couple weeks before EVH died. He went on and on about what it was like when he first heard EVH’s guitar and how “I had never heard anything like it and we (he and his musician friends in high school) didn’t know what he was doing” on “Eruption”.

I’m not a musician so some stuff is over my head, but his videos are great. Watch the “What makes this song great?” where he talks about “Superstitious” from Stevie Wonder. Several times he does a Ric Flair “Whooo!” as he’s breaking it down. BTW, that is the funkiest song of all time IMO, from 1 of the 2 funkiest musicians of all time, the other being none other than The Godfather.

10:35 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

RG, that cover by the BGs is an example of why some said they were just a copy of The Bea’les early on.

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I like Pearl Jam; the acoustic guitar on this cover of the old J Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers song is hot,

10:56 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

cg, I was watching the one he did about “Runnin With the Devil” before I found the PJ one. I was reading an article about PJ last night. It was interesting, apparently Eddie got his inspiration for the song “Jeremy” from a news article about a 15 year old boy who shot himself in front of his morning english class. Very sad.

Rick has so much cool stuff on his site, and I have just started to scratch the surface.

10:59 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

cg, I loooove SW. My father in law used to work at the Kentucky Printing House for the Blind, and they have a really cool museum. Stevie used to study there when he was young, and they have a really cool exhibit dedicated to him.

11:06 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

He actually spent time in Kentucky? I never knew that. I have his 2 volume greatest hits collection on CD. It’s scanned to my phone too.

11:18 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Are they not going to mention The Kentucky Headhunters & Dumas Walker’s???

11:35 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Oooo – I am listening the the one about “Man in the Box” by Alice in Chains right now. Vince Staley had a voice that could make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:12 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I hate to be that guy, but it’s Tompkinsville. BTW, my uncle used to preach there, and I have other friends from that area. The Old Mulkey Meeting House is a landmark, and Daniel Boone’s sister Hannah is buried there.

10:17 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

What did he say? That’s where our family eye dr was growing up.

10:28 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Nick spelled it with a “Th” above. But I digress. I misspell myself occasionally. I misspelled “matte” (which can also be spelled “Matt” per Webster’s…haha) in the Live Blog the other day thinking it’s “mat”. I was pointing out that Miss State was wearing traditional finish lids whereas most teams wear either matte finish or super shiny chrome these days.

10:40 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Oops! My mistake this time. Haha. Nick misspelled it on his “Today on KSR” post. I had glanced at it just before the ST.

10:47 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Nick will change his typos if he sees comments about them. My favorite instance of this was when he shared a picture on here of this gigantic, obviously oversized Secretariat statue that is now on Old Frankfort Pike. There were two women posed below it in the photo, and he was like, “really shows you how huge Secretariat was!” Like 10 minutes later I was still laughing about it, and went to leave a mocking comment, but he had already edited that.

10:50 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I never knew how yuge Abe Lincoln was until I saw pics of people at the Lincoln Memorial.

10:55 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha a literal giant.

11:14 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

BTW, we are friends with a couple just across the state line in Celina, TN. He teaches for Vol State CC and preaches part time, for 2 congregations!

3. Realme
    10:16 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Does KSR get paid for acting like Amazon Prime Day is a national holiday every year? I hope so.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

MJ gonna get it from the UT fans, especially if they whup us.

10:18 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Did I miss a good speech? Just tuned in. SMH at co-workers that think I want to hear from them at 10:00.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

He said they’re the meanest fans in the world, and hate their team.

10:29 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

He loves jousting with Vol fans no matter how many times they beat us.

10:30 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

rm, I have the same problem with customers calling in or trucks pulling up in the parking lot to be unloaded.

10:39 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

UGH it happened again. I’ve heard like 3 seconds of today.

10:50 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Yep! Sure as hell, two trucks pulled up in the parking lot with 5 pallets to unload (no loading dock or forklift), AND the phone rang. Can’t we just shut down from 10-12?

10:56 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I would kill for an office door I could close (vs. my cubicle).

11:01 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I have an office door, but it just doesn’t matter.

11:04 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot. They can help you cobble together some kind of door for that thing. I don’t know about a ceiling though. Haha.

11:07 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Chris I have been know to creatively stack boxes and carts to at least keep people from crossing the threshold. ๐Ÿ˜›

11:14 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

๐Ÿ˜›

11:15 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Hey, I forgot you can do that on WordPress with a : and a P! ๐Ÿ˜€

11:25 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Duh! I was trying to figure out more of them, didn’t think to just check wordpress specifically until you said that. Check it out:

11:37 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

๐Ÿ™

• ClutchCargo
      11:59 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

>:(

• ClutchCargo
      12:00 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

I thought it was because I tried to just copy/paste the first time. Nope.

12:07 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

:mrgreen:
      ๐Ÿ™„
      ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
      ๐Ÿ˜Ž
      ๐Ÿ˜‰

12:08 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

Well a lot of them work.

12:51 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

12:52 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

Da :bear: s:!:

12:52 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

โ—

12:52 pm October 13, 2020 Permalink

:bear:

10:42 am October 14, 2020 Permalink

:'(

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:33 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

A guy I sometimes watch stream on Twitch is in the Caribbean. I asked him and he says “Cari-bee-an,” not “Cah-rib-ean.” For what it’s worth.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:38 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Who is this he’s talking to? Is it the guy that hosts that UT post game call in show from his basement on Youtube?

10:42 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m with Matt. How can that guy do that many consecutive hours? Post game shows are fun, and I wish Matt’s would go longer sometimes when we get a big win, but 5 1/2 hours. Wooo.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:39 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Matt should have Clay Travis on this week and do a bet for a charity of their choice. Egos aside, it would be good radio and help a good cause.

10:41 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

They hate each other so much.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:42 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

They do, but I’d bet Clay would do it. Matt would be the hold-up.

10:42 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Maybe if they agree to stick ta sports. Haha.

• JTHinton
      10:47 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

They canโ€™t stand each other, but you know Clay would do it. Matt, on the other hand …

The same guy who STILL hasnโ€™t paid up for the โ€œbest guestโ€ contest back in April!

10:48 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I do like that UT guy that was on. He should have him back next week win or lose. I hate to relive a loss but he’s interesting.

10:50 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

He sounded like a humble version of Matt, another fan / media guy.

8. JTHinton
    10:51 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Was scrolling through some weekly bowl game projections yesterday … 1-3 Louisville wasnโ€™t included in any! I had presumed we would play Louisville unless one of us was either elite or abysmal; Louisville might be bad enough to get us another opponent!

10:52 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and that’s both funny and sad – I kind of liked the idea of thumping them again.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

So are we going to show the Vols our package or what?

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:05 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Oh great, I usually turn my speakers down during the news break, but I heard our daily “LET’S SEE HOW BADLY WE CAN SCARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE *TODAY* ABOUT CORONA VIRUS!!!” spot.

11:14 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I hear ya, cg, but on the flip side, I learned about a girl who goes to South Oldham HS (our rival) who was a field hockey player. She caught was seemed like a relatively mild case of COVID at least a month ago. And then a few weeks ago, apparently the thing was still living dormant in her system and it started to attack her nervous system. She has basically developed viral meningitis from it. She’s in pretty bad shape – lots of pain, in the local children’s hospital. She needs a lot of prayers.

So when part of me wants to agree that the press is hyping this too much, I hear a story like this and it brings it all back home. I just feel like it’s an insult to folks like this if I am dismissive of it. Yeah, we can’t have life grind to a halt because of fear, but we can’t downplay it and ignore it either. I think you get it, because I have heard you say it before, so I know I am preaching to the choir. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

11:17 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

And I still use Purell more than I ever did, and I wear my mask (although there are still divergent opinions even among the experts, but oh well). Prayers for that young girl!

11:22 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I still don’t personally know anyone who has caught it (thankfully). One friend is quarantined right now from contact tracing, but not infected.

11:28 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Aside from my cousin, I haven’t lost anyone else who is close to me. Have had a couple of other cousins and other family members catch it with relatively minor symptoms. Friend of mine and his wife were laid low by it for a while.

I don’t with bad things on anyone, but I am afraid that Trump getting a relatively mild case of it and apparently bouncing back quickly (with the help of modern medicine) might be the worst possible outcome for the rest of us. Dude thinks he’s Superman now.

11:32 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

“wish”, not “with”. Can’t type a lick today….

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:08 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I liked the old Gordon Solie “It’s a peer sixer!”

12. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I have heard the hitchhiking ghost story numerous times in the past. I vividly recall reading a story in a Reader’s Digest about a pretty blonde girl who called herself Lavender and always wore a lavender dress.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Hey they’re ripping off my ghost story and the Dickie Lee song “Laurie”. BTW, I have my annual Halloween story for y’all.
    Are you scared, yet? You better be!

11:25 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Bring it on! Ain’t skeered! ๐Ÿ™‚

11:27 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m ready! Halloween starts Oct. 1.

11:31 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Apparently some people think Christmas starts Oct 1.

• JTHinton
      11:46 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

105.5 in Lexington (used to be the classic 1970s/80s hits) began playing Christmas music on Oct 1st!

14. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone else watch the McGrath / Turtle debate last night? I actually think McGrath held her own pretty well against the crusty old turtle. If she had run her campaign like that all along, she might be doing better in the polls. Maybe in the future have the debate much earlier in the campaign.

I know turtles can live a long time, but what it the over/under that he will last another 6 years? Why do we have so many angry old white dudes in government?

11:26 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Everyone knows we need term limits, but the ones with the power to fix that aren’t going to limit themselves. It’s gross.

11:31 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

My mantra: Term limits and campaign finance reform. And the Turtle has been instrumental in blocking both of them. Never knew that turtles are bloodsuckers.

11:42 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you on term limits, but most (maybe not all) forms of CFR limit the power of Americans, whether left or right, of donating to a group they support (such as pro-life or 2nd Amendment groups in my case) and having those groups speak for us.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

The Nerlens injury was more heartbreaking than it was gruesome. Just seeing him lying there screaming was really tough.

The Joe Theisman injury was one of the most gruesome.

11:36 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I saw people referencing Dak’s injury on Twitter and jumped off immediately so I wouldn’t involuntarily see it.
      Eeyore still thinks that Louisville guy who broke his leg is a hero because he had that injury. Not sure why, it healed faster than a non gruesome ligament injury, and certainly didn’t reflect what kind of person he was / is.

11:36 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I was playing in a men’s volleyball team about 20 years ago and a guy on the other side of the net landed and his tibia just snapped. Crack! It was pretty gross. Compound fracture.

11:38 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Rm, I was pulling for Ware to make a quick and full recovery, but it became apparent a few years later that the young man had some issues. I believe he was in the car with Chane Behanan that got busted with weed in it on the way back from Bowling Green. And I think he is mentioned in the Ho-Down scandals.

11:41 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Shudder.

• JTHinton
      11:45 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Not sure how many of yโ€™all are bengals fans, but Tyler Eifertโ€™s injury against Atlanta in 2018 was similarly awful.

11:49 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

I heard he was injured but I didn’t know how. Was it Theisman-esque?

11:50 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

And I forgot about Eifert’s.

16. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:48 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

His name was A-BED-nego, but almost everyone I know pronounces it just like Matt did. lol

17. Realme
    11:54 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

Logan is a great caller.

11:56 am October 13, 2020 Permalink

And Glasgow is definitely city folk compared to most of the places they talk about on here (or was when I was growing up).